Start by marking “Owlflight (Owl Mage Trilogy, #1)” as Want to Read:
Owlflight (Owl Mage Trilogy, #1)

Owlflight (Valdemar: The Owl Mage Trilogy #1)

3.94  ·  Rating Details ·  8,520 Ratings  ·  139 Reviews
Apprenticed to a venerable wizard when his hunter and trapper parents disappear into the forest never to be seen again, Darian is strong-willed and difficult--much to the dismay of his kindly master. But a sudden twist of fate will change his life forever, when the ransacking of his village forces him to flee into the great mystical forest. It is here in the dark forest ...more
Published October 1st 1998 by DAW (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Owlflight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Owlflight

Jen A.
Jan 02, 2014 Jen A. rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2011, re-read
A long-time Mercedes Lackey fan, I have enthusiastically read everything she's ever published that takes place in Valdemar. Usually, I will read the trilogies as a set, but I did not ever make it a goal to read them in chronological order according to Valdemar's timeline. While I love stories of Companions and Heralds, the "Owl" trilogy that focuses on the Tayledras, or Hawkbrothers, really captured my attention and imagination.

I remember being drawn to the essence of community and whole-minded
The Bookwyrm's Hoard
Oct 26, 2015 The Bookwyrm's Hoard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, own, re-read
Owflight takes place after the Mage Storms trilogy (Storm Warning, Storm Rising, and Storm Breaking), and while it’s not necessary to have read the previous books set in Valdemar, it helps. This book is set in and near the village of Errold’s Grove, on the northern border of Valdemar.

The book makes use of several time-honored tropes: the orphan youngster of low social status, disdained by the villagers; his master, the village mage; and disaster in the form of an attack by northern barbarians, a
Kirsti
Mar 08, 2014 Kirsti rated it it was amazing
Well, I wrote up a review and it didn't send through. Stupid dodgy internet at the parents-in-law's! So here it is again!

When I started this book again (I've read it more times than I care to remember) I was reading to purge a very bad book from my mind. This is my comfort book, one I read purely because I know I already love it. I have loved it since I was around 13. I used to pick books entirely by the cover, because none of my friends read like I did. I had no one to recommend books to me, so
Jordan Erika
Dec 28, 2012 Jordan Erika rated it did not like it
Honestly, very little actually happens in this book. A young boy goes through extreme emotional issues. Dialogue, direct as well as internal, makes up about 75% of the book, which is a very poor way to move what little plot that exists along in my opinion. It's okay somethings but not when it's nearly the only device. But the biggest problem I had was all the repetition by going through the same events, and even the same dialogue, several times because she switches the POV though a different ...more
Agata Salim
Nov 15, 2013 Agata Salim rated it did not like it
Why does this book preach so much?
Not that the messages were bad or anything, but really, do I have to dwell with Darian's grief so much?
It could have been better. This is more like an essay to the insight of a character instead of a book which I hoped would be action packed. I am not a pro writer, but shouldn't such essays be kept only for the author's eyes, as a guideline when she built the character a story?
This is Lackey's first book that I read, and I understand that there are other Valdema
Patty
Apr 25, 2012 Patty rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have read previous Valdemar series by Mercedes Lackey and have enjoyed them. It has been several years since I have read any of her novels and decided to read this one. It has not disappointed me. I enjoy her characters and the story line. She is very good at giving a brief history of Valdemar back stories pertinent to the current book in case you haven't read the other books or, like me, you have been away from the stories for some time. It is an easy read and I plan to read the other two of ...more
Andrea
Jan 28, 2008 Andrea rated it it was ok
Lackey is one of my favorite authors ever! I started reading her Valdemar series in 8th grade but I will still pull out her books to reread them. I also love her work so much that I never miss the chance to buy her new stuff. This series was her last full Valdemar series and I’m sad to say I almost wish she hadn’t written it. This whole series just fell flat for me and although, as always her characters were great, the whole work just felt a bit formulaic.
Alison
Sep 01, 2010 Alison rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I've read all of the Valdemar novels that Mercedes Lackey has written. While I was disappointed in some of her later books because she didn't keep to her own timeline, this was not one of them. I absolutely loved Darian's story. It's the story of a boy who loses everything only to gain something equally as good at the end. It leaves you with just enough of a hook to interest you in seeing what else is going on in Darian's life, which is why I picked up the other two books in the series.
Dan Friskies
Aug 12, 2014 Dan Friskies rated it did not like it
I really wanted to get into this book but the author is so indulgent with the characters dialogue and inner dialogue that it takes forever for the story to move on. The characters are written almost identically and once a character focuses on something, a whole chapter is dedicated to it for no reason
Elizabeth S
Dec 13, 2010 Elizabeth S rated it liked it
Shelves: n-scifi-fantasy
The ending was a little too formulaic for me--everything wrapped up a little too pat, with everyone learning the lessons they "need" to learn. But overall a good tale and worth adding to the Valdemar saga.
Alayne
Nov 21, 2015 Alayne rated it really liked it
I thoroughly enjoyed this novel. Once again it is the first in a trilogy, although this could easily be a stand alone novel as well.
Susan
Dec 08, 2016 Susan rated it really liked it
This is another re-read, just because I really enjoy the Owl... books. This first one introduces us to Darian, a young boy who is a slightly obnoxious teenage orphan unwillingly apprenticed to the village mage/healer. He's been told he has a Gift, but doesn't see the point of using magic to do things you can do with your own hands (Justyn is not a very strong mage.) All the teenage angst and guilt in the book gets a bit tiresome and even annoying, but since I am re-reading, I just skimmed over ...more
Judy Hall
Nov 28, 2016 Judy Hall rated it really liked it
Orphaned Darien is apprentice to the village wizard, whether he likes it or not. He doesn't care to learn about magic! It doesn't seem very useful to him. Until the army came and his town was taken. And Justyn stood tall to defend it.

Darien escaped, only to be rescued by the Hawkbrother Snowfire. The Hawkbrothers take him and make him feel like one of them, but Darien can't forget his village, as much as he wants to make his home with the Hawkbrothers.

The beginning is a little rocky as you deal
J.A. McLachlan
Oct 20, 2016 J.A. McLachlan rated it liked it
This is an okay book. The characters are likeable but not fascinating, the plot is interesting but not engrossing, there is no theme or any thought-provoking element, just a light, pleasant story. I believe it is written more for young teens, though, and fans who are familiar with and love this se3ries, and for those two groups, it is probably much more interesting.
Natalia
Mar 20, 2015 Natalia rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Tajemnicza okładka, od której ciężko oderwać wzrok… Interesujący blurb… Wysokie oceny na Goodreads… Pozytywne recenzje innych powieści, jakie wyszły spod palcy autorów… Intrygujący tytuł trylogii… i całego uniwersum… To były główne czynniki, przez które moja ochota na zapoznanie się z Lotem sowy, rosła z każdym dniem. Jak to jednak naprawdę wyszło? Zaraz się przekonacie.

Darian terminuje u miejscowego czarodzieja. Nie jest to jednak zajęcie, którym chciałby się zajmować. Chłopak wolałby bowiem ta
Bibliotropic
Jul 22, 2016 Bibliotropic rated it really liked it
Shelves: valdemar, fantasy
The Bookwyrm's Hoard
May 18, 2015 The Bookwyrm's Hoard rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult

The story makes use of several time-honored tropes: the orphan youngster of low social status, disdained by the villagers; his master, the village mage; and disaster in the form of an attack by northern barbarians,
Ward Bond

### Amazon.co.uk Review

Orphaned when his trapper parents failed to come back from the forest one day, young Darian is resentful when apprenticed to the damaged magician Justyn. He sees little point in the few tricks he manages to learn, and what has magic done for Justyn save leave him under-employed, sick and despised in a remote village? Then half-human invaders take the town and Justyn dies heroically helping people escape while Darian looks on in horror. Lost in the forest, Darian is rescu

Joel Adamson
Sep 19, 2016 Joel Adamson rated it it was ok
I gave up on page 65, after two non-scenes, in which two characters ruminate on their situation while very little action happens around them. What action happens is barely narrated, and only serves as punctuation for the characters to ruminate about their crappy situation (which sounded interesting on the back jacket), mostly in first-person italics. It is repetitive, redundant, and repetitive, almost to the point of saying things twice, or three times. There is very little psychological depth.

I
Keilani Ludlow
Sep 24, 2013 Keilani Ludlow rated it really liked it
First, know that I am writing one review (mostly) for all the books in the series because if you like the first one, you’ll keep reading the rest.

I recently “rediscovered” Mercedes Lackey after a friend recommended one of her series. Waiting for the next book in the series to come in, I went to the library and pulled pretty much everything off the shelf that she had written and this series happened to be one I read before hitting author burn-out.

You can read any synopsis to find out what the ser
Victoria
Mercedes Lackey’s Valdemar series provides one of the cornerstones of my reading history. After discovering her when quite young, I still follow new additions to the series - nearly twenty years later! I read and re-read these books over and over again throughout my youth, but I haven't re-read this series in its entirety in a long time - and never as an adult. There are some new books added to the series since the last time I read them, so this re-reading project is pretty exciting for me since ...more
Emily Crow
Nov 20, 2013 Emily Crow rated it it was ok
Well, I finally finished Owlflight! It took me several days to plow through this one--partly because I've been juggling five books at once (now four!), but also because, I hate to say it, not much much happened. It could have been a good story. It wasn't badly written. But overall, it was boring.

The story begins with orphaned Darian, mistrusted by the villagers of Errolds Grove, being taught in wizardry by the incompetent Justyn. Darian sulks and runs off into the woods a lot. Stuff from previou
Chuck
Mar 09, 2010 Chuck rated it liked it
Okay, number 24 in my quest to read 100 books in 2010.

After a slow start, this book was engaging. Darian, a young orphan boy in a village called Errold's Grove, is about as frowned on as a boy can be. Not only is he the orphaned child of unloved parents, he has been apprenticed to Justyn, the village healer, who is at the bottom of the village pecking order.

Darian is out in the woods when Errold's Grove is attacked by barbarian invaders, and he gets back in time to see Justyn, whom he hasn't tak
Claire
Jun 29, 2013 Claire rated it liked it
This is really a review for the trilogy as a whole.
I'm a big fan of Mercedes Lackey and her Valdemar series is one of my favorite fantasy series.
I read the Owl Mage Trilogy directly after the Mage Storms Trilogy, and unfortunately after the action packed epic of that trilogy the Owl Mage Trilogy came off as slow paced and not particularly compelling.
Darien is the main character for all three books, with Keisha as a second main character in the second and third. They come off as being very simil
Serena
Apr 12, 2016 Serena rated it liked it
It may interest those who have read this book to know that Mercedes Lackey also put out a cassette/CD of the same name. You can sample some of the songs on YouTube, although the only place to buy it is from the Firebird Arts and Music website.

In the Pelagir

14)
People
Jo Oehrlein
May 25, 2015 Jo Oehrlein rated it liked it
You'll be surprised to hear that this story begins with a misunderstood teenage boy. Shocking for Lackey, I know! The first couple of chapters were too much of Darian thinking to himself and then Justyn thinking to himself. Once past that, the story really picked up.

Darian lives in a very isolated and insular area. While the town is basically self-sufficient, it also has several not-so-pleasant traits -- no appreciation for anyone different, especially those of a more adventurous bent.

With a tit
Lel
While I do like this series of books I don't think that they are amazing. I find the characters fun and simple. The world is easy to image and the plots are good but they are not the kind of books that grab me and make me have to turn yet another page to the detriment of all else. They are a light hearted not to serious a series to read between those books that take it out of you to read.

This book focus' on Darian, an orphan that is being raised by a village that seems to begrudge his very exist
H
Mar 14, 2015 H rated it really liked it
I read and loved this trilogy in high school, and it's stood the test of time well--I still really enjoyed it. It felt more like an appendage to a well-developed series on this read than I remember on previous reads, and a lot of the writing seemed like more of a nod to the other stories from this world than a focus on the events and people of this story. Not a bad thing, but I was a little irritated by it, because a lot of the back story given wasn't particularly necessary to understanding and ...more
Jess Hale
Apr 06, 2016 Jess Hale rated it really liked it
Sara
Aug 05, 2011 Sara added it
Shelves: fantasy
I remember really enjoying this series when I was 13 or 14... I don't remember much about it now, especially beyond the first book. I'll reread it soon since I just bought the series and write a better review at that point.

***Okay, I reread it! It was almost as enjoyable at 22 as it was the first time, though a younger person would certainly enjoy it more. The ending might have been a little rushed, but that might be just because the climax is at the end of the book....? I don't know. Being olde
Madison Mega-Mara...: #97 - Owlflight 1 2 Jun 17, 2015 02:09PM
Madison Mega-Mara...: #83 - Owlflight 1 3 May 27, 2014 10:12AM
  • Elvenborn (Halfblood Chronicles, #3)
  • Tiger Burning Bright
  • The Quartered Sea (Quarters #4)
  • In Celebration of Lammas Night
  • Once Upon a Summer Day (Faery, #2)
  • If I Pay Thee Not in Gold
  • Godslayer / Shadow Climber / Dragonrank Master (Bifrost Guardians, #1-3)
  • Power Play (Petaybee, #3)
  • The Soprano Sorceress (Spellsong Cycle #1)
  • Sword-Maker (Tiger and Del, #3)
  • The Cursed Towers (The Witches of Eileanan, #3)
Mercedes entered this world on June 24, 1950, in Chicago, had a normal childhood and graduated from Purdue University in 1972. During the late 70's she worked as an artist's model and then went into the computer programming field, ending up with American Airlines in Tulsa, Oklahoma. In addition to her fantasy writing, she has written lyrics for and recorded nearly fifty songs for Firebird Arts ...more
More about Mercedes Lackey...

Valdemar: The Owl Mage Trilogy (3 books)
  • Owlsight (Owl Mage Trilogy, #2)
  • Owlknight (Owl Mage Trilogy, #3)

“To treat a person like a carpet, it is necessary that one do the walking, and one allow himself to be walked on.
--Shin'a'in saying”