Start by marking “Guardian of the Dawn (The Sephardic Cycle, #3)” as Want to Read:
Guardian of the Dawn (The Sephardic Cycle, #3)

Guardian of the Dawn (The Sephardic Cycle #3)

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  289 ratings  ·  21 reviews
In an age of faith and fire
In a land of many gods
A journey of survival is about to begin.…

In his acclaimed novels Hunting Midnight and The Last Kabbalist of Lisbon, Richard Zimler has spun luminous historical fiction from the experience of the Jews of the Iberian Peninsula. Spanning decades and continents, his new novel is set in the lush world of colonial India during the
Published July 26th 2005 by Delta (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Guardian of the Dawn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Guardian of the Dawn

Mar 09, 2014 Carla rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Sandra Paixão Ferreira
Adorei o livro!

A história escrita por Richard Zimler retrata-nos a cidade de Goa, sob o domínio de Portugal, nessa altura integrado no Império Espanhol, e de outros territórios indianos, no final do século XVI, de uma forma tão absorvente, que nos faz transportar para essa época como se, de facto, lá estivéssemos estado.

A Santa Inquisição, que de nada tinha de "Santa", chegou a todos os territórios ultramarinos dominados pelos portugueses, sendo impiedosa com todas as outras crenças religiosas,
One the best books I ever read!
Books that can make me cry have a special place in my heart. You'll hate the protagonist sometimes but you'll also feel sorry for him and would like to protect him. And that's true for many of the characters. It is a sad book but beautiful.The kinds that get etched into your memory and haunt you at nights.
So far, the best-written fictional story I've come across that's set in 16th century colonial Goa. The reason I've only given it a 3-star rating is that I struggled at times to keep reading because the language slowed me down.
Not as good as The Last Kabbalist of Lisbon, but still really interesting to learn about the Inquisition in India.
It takes a full book to figure out who are the good and the bad ones until we find out there are no good or bad ones... (I would say just like in the life of most of us!)
Fantastic story. Amazingly well-written. Sometimes really heavy to read (I therefore alternated it a very "easy reading" book).
Extremely sad! It really brook my heart and still I could not stop reading.
Nitya Sivasubramanian
Consider it a childhood perversion of mine that has lived on into my adulthood, but I have always been far more interested in so-called villains in stories than in heroes. Ravan has always tickled my fancy more than Ram, and I'd rather spend an evening in conversation with Iago than Othello. So this story appeals to me simply by telling the tale of how an innocent young man turns his hand to cruelty. In the strictest sense though, Ti is more Edmond Dantes than Patrick Bateman, and the story take ...more
I came to this novel after reading the author's excellent Warsaw Anagrams and sadly I was a bit disappointed. I did learn quite a lot about 16th Century Goa, India and the Portuguese Roman Catholic Inquisition that was used to suppress all other local faiths, but it was at times very slow. I also felt that the character of Tiago often seemed somewhat 20th Century in his expressed views and philosophy. However, I did greatly enjoy it in parts, just not throughout and certainly not as much as his ...more
I think Zimler is a great writer, though I don't think this book matches up against the Last Kabbalist, Warsaw Anagrams or the Seventh Gate. This is perhaps the most depressing book I have ever read, and what the Inquisition does to the narrator is almost unbearable. Still, the writing is very strong, and it is a page turner.
A novel against the backdrop of the Portuguese Inquisition in 16th century Goa sounds fascinating. Unfortunately, in Zimler's hands, what emerges is a ponderous and often overly serious work that shifts gear suddenly in the last section to become a faster-paced tale of machinations and murder, a la Othello. Sad.
Ramesh Kumar Maali
Couldn't think of a good book related to Portuguese colony in India and conversion into Christianity those days in India. I book full of sorrow can also be a book you like much, I never thought so before I read this epic.
César Lasso
My rating: 3.5 stars.
The book manages to keep intrigue and shows how the inquisitorial system and society might have broken a life, and the protagonist's reaction to that reality.
Better than the second in the trilogy. Visits a descendant of the first protagonist in Goa caught up in the inquistion on the Indian continent
Ana Paula
One of the best books I ever read. Caught my attention from the first to tle last page.
É uma história passada no séc. XVI em Goa.Fantástica.
Gostei mesmo muito. É mais 4.5 do que 4.
I had no idea what the Inquisition was up to in Goa and this book was a real eye opener. Similar to Othello in many ways, although Zimler does mention he's drawn comparisons.
The subject is handled sensitively and the reader's attention is held by the fast pace.
A recommended read for anyone interested in this period.
Diogo marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2015
Madalena marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2015
Rob marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2015
Milo is currently reading it
Msl0nelyheart marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2015
  • De Profundis, Valsa Lenta
  • Mundo del fin del mundo
  • Nação Crioula
  • Os Pilares da Terra - Volume II (Os Pilares da Terra, #1)
  • A Filha do Papa
  • O Homem de Constantinopla (Kaloust Sarkisian, #1)
  • Anatomia dos Mártires
  • La herencia de Eszter
  • Quantas Madrugadas Tem a Noite
  • A Selva
  • O Teu Rosto Será o Último
  • El taller de los libros prohibidos
  • A Voz dos Deuses
Richard Zimler was born in Roslyn Heights, a suburb of New York City, in 1956. After earning a bachelor's degree in comparative religion from Duke University (1977) and a master's degree in journalism from Stanford University (1982), he worked for eight years as a journalist, mainly in the San Francisco Bay area. In 1990, he moved to Porto, Portugal, and he has taught journalism for the last sixte ...more
More about Richard Zimler...

The Sephardic Cycle (4 books)
  • The Last Kabbalist of Lisbon (The Sephardic Cycle, #1)
  • Hunting Midnight (The Sephardic Cycle, #2)
  • The Seventh Gate