Miss Bianca (The Rescuers)

Miss Bianca (The Rescuers #2)

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  188 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Stated first edition. 152 pages.
Published 1977 by Dell Yearling (first published January 30th 1962)

Barb
Miss Bianca, Chairwoman of the Prisoners' Aid Society (a charitable mousy organization dedicated to the comfort of incarcerated humans), has a new project to suggest. The last daring adventure, the rescue of a Norwegian poet from the infamous Black Castle (pause for ominous music) was obviously a great ego boost to the mice, and they are consequently quite boisterous and full of themselves. Miss Bianca, waiting for the Society's latest meeting to come to order, muses that

"...their common adventu...more
Sarah Sammis
Miss Bianca was a very quick read but there's not much substance to the book. The book is nothing more than a slightly padded fairy story in some sort of ambiguous time where there are buses and horse drawn carriages (if the illustrations have any bearing on the story itself). Normally I enjoy Garth William's illustrations but here they were quite grotesque and over done. Oh well, the book will be off to it's next reader soon.
Duane
Rubi Herrera
It was so cute!
I thought it was funny how the women tried to be heros but in the end, neither they nor the men were of any help haha
it was all up to Miss Bianca with her "knight in shining armor" coming to help at the end.
Poor Bernard is sooo underappreciated haha I love him, though!
And I found the ending for the girl satisfying. :)
Good read, I really enjoyed it.
Alicia
Aug 03, 2009 Alicia rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Alicia by: Richeys
Rachel, Josh, and I loved this book. (Josh gives it 6 stars) The book is about Bernard and Bianca rescuing a little girl who's been kidnapped, but those are the only similarities to the Disney version of "The Rescuers." (No crocodiles or Madame Medusa in the book) The writing is great, the Garth Williams illustrations are adorable, and the story is exciting. Perfect read-aloud!
Riina
Pelastuspartio Bernard & Bianca! Kirjaston vaihtokorista löytynyt klassinen lastenkirja oli virkistävän seikkailuhenkinen lukukokemus. Bianca on kaunopuheinen ja rohkea, Bernard uskollinen ja urhea ja pelastettava lapsi todellakin avun tarpeessa, sillä Herttuatar epätavallisen julma. Pitänee hankkia myös ensimmäinen osa omaan hyllyyn, harmi ettei näitä suomennettu enempää.
Tracey
I LOVED the Miss Bianca series of books as a child & remember seeing The Rescuers at a drive in during its first run. These books were probably the reason my "imaginary friends" were mice...

I also remember reading Brittania Mews at probably much too young an age, just because it was by the same author.
NC
Cute! Should have read the Rescuers first. Love the Garth Williams illustrations
Julie
Charming, though sentimental, story of very brave mice. This is a sequel to "The Rescuers." The art by Garth Williams simply delights me. (You'll recognize his work from Charlotte's Web and Little House.)
Carmine
an all time favorite from childhood, can't wait to read it to my daughter. Luckily, I found a copy at the SPL booksale a few years back.

Why, oh why are the Miss Bianca books still out of print?!?!!?
Jill
As a child, I loved this book, and I still love it now. Charming and memorable characters--and the beautiful illustrations!
Brittany
Not as good as I expected. Perhaps I would have liked The Rescuers better? Thought the plot was pretty flat.
Freder
Romantic Victorian Gothic Thriller Adventure. . . with mice. Wonderful, but the series gets better from here.
Molly
Another funny, swiftly paced, and engaging tale from Margery Sharp. WHY ARE THESE BOOKS OUT OF PRINT?!
Rachel Soderberg
Read it with the boys: interesting and fun. Was surprised at how captivated my 3 year old was.
pati
Wonderful story, vocab used is quite high, I was very impressed.
Arlene Allen
When I read this, there was no Disney version.
Molly
How did I not read that as a child?!
Nevey Badr
Nevey Badr marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2014
Cora
Cora marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2014
Dotia
Dotia marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2014
Malak Adny
Malak Adny marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2014
Mary-elizabeth
Mary-elizabeth marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2014
Farina♥Stories
Farina♥Stories marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2014
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2014
Jordan Ragsdale
Jordan Ragsdale marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2014
Lethalkitten
Lethalkitten marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Dido and Pa
  • Winter Holiday (Swallows and Amazons, #4)
  • Harry Cat's Pet Puppy
  • The Bike Lesson
  • The Midnight Folk
  • Basil of Baker Street
  • Rufus M. (The Moffats, #3)
  • Abel's Island
  • Spiderweb for Two: A Melendy Maze
  • The Adventures of Chatterer the Red Squirrel
  • Ben and Me: An Astonishing Life of Benjamin Franklin by His Good Mouse Amos
  • And All Between (Green Sky, #2)
  • Henry Reed's Babysitting Service
  • Amiri & Odette: A Love Story
  • The Story of the Treasure Seekers (Bastable Children, #1)
  • The Betsy-Tacy Treasury (Betsy-Tacy, #1–4)
  • Ella of All-of-a-Kind Family (All-of-a-Kind Family, #5)
Margery Sharp was born Clara Margery Melita Sharp in Salisbury. She spent part of her childhood in Malta.

Sharp wrote 26 novels, 14 children's stories, 4 plays, 2 mysteries and many short stories. She is best known for her series of children's books about a little white mouse named Miss Bianca and her companion, Bernard. Two Disney films have been made based on them, called The Rescuers and The Res...more
More about Margery Sharp...
The Rescuers (The Rescuers, #1) Cluny Brown Miss Bianca in the Salt Mines (The Rescuers, #4) The Turret (The Rescuers, #3) Miss Bianca in the Orient (The Rescuers, #5)