Start by marking “Knight of Ghosts and Shadows (Bedlam's Bard, #1)” as Want to Read:
Knight of Ghosts and Shadows (Bedlam's Bard, #1)

Knight of Ghosts and Shadows (Bedlam's Bard #1)

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  2,190 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Eric Banyon, musician, is out playing the blues on his flute one day, but he couldn't have known that the desperate sadness of his music would free a young elven noble from the magical prison he has been languishing in for centuries--nor does he believe it!
Published June 23rd 1990 by Baen Books (first published January 1st 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Knight of Ghosts and Shadows, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Knight of Ghosts and Shadows

Storm Front by Jim ButcherMagic Bites by Ilona AndrewsMoon Called by Patricia BriggsDarkfever by Karen Marie MoningHalfway to the Grave by Jeaniene Frost
Best Urban Fantasy SERIES
138th out of 332 books — 1,427 voters
Storm Front by Jim ButcherHounded by Kevin HearneChanges by Jim ButcherSummer Knight by Jim ButcherDead Beat by Jim Butcher
Urban Fantasy With Male Lead Characters
198th out of 535 books — 838 voters

More lists with this book...

Cindy
Beautiful music and elves hopped up on caffeine, what's not to love? It is especially good if you happen to be aware of the REAL machinations that went on trying to save the Agoura Faire site [and yes, they lost] which Lackey so admirably spins into a tale of magic and elves...

Read in order.

Contains some m/m so if that's a problem for you stay away...

Bedlam's Bard
1. Knight of Ghosts and Shadows (1990) (with Ellen Guon)
2. Summoned to Tourney (1992) (with Ellen Guon)
4. Beyond World's End (2000) (w...more
Gail Carriger
Urban fantasy written before the term urban fantasy really existed. In fact, I think this series may have had a hand in defining the genre. This is magic and elves in LA (not vampire lovers) but there is something about this book I just love. Possibly because it reminders me of home. I never really got into the rest of the series, but this one has been on my shelf for years and I sill come back to in. It may in part have to do with the ending. All life should be that romantic. And that sexy.
Amanda
Jim

ELVES IN L.A.?It would explain a lot, wouldn't it?In fact, half a millennium ago, when the elves were driven from Europe they came to -- where else?Southern California. Happy at first, they fell on hard times after one of their number tried to force the rest to be his vassals. Now it's up to one poor human to save them if he can. A knight in shining armor he's not, but he's their last hope, their

Tommy /|\
One of my most favored memories and my introduction into the genre of Urban Fantasy. Mercedes Lackey and Ellen Guon weave a wonderful web of Elves in the modern day world. The character development is extremely well done, but the plot is left a littl thread-bare in places. Not to worry though, as it seems that this novel is more about exploring the characters than it is about exploring a setting in a story. The characters of Eric, Beth, and Kory are well worked, and their feelings on all sorts o...more
Rae
Sep 11, 2011 Rae rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2011, elves
I've always enjoyed these books and often when I go to a Renaissance Faire I desire to read this book and it's sequelSummoned to Tourney. Or at least the first couple chapters of the second book...

And then once I read those book I want to read Serrated Edge series. Then I want to read her Di Tregarde series. And eventually I'm catapulted back into my 14 year old self and have to read all of Valdemar again. There's a reason I have six feet of Lackey in my office.
♆ BookAddict ♨ ✒ La Crimson Femme❇ ♐
This was a good story from Ms. Lackey. We are back to her world of Fae which I love. Eric is a guy I could really get into. I liked him a lot and I admire his good heart. I enjoyed the weaving of music with magic. Certain songs are like magic to me so I can understand. Ms. Lackey once again creates a good fantasy book which I can recommend.
Danica
I did actually like this book though the main character, Eric, drove me nuts. One of ways this series has stood out to me is the way all the characters have grown thoughout the series.
Drew
Great character development and great concept. This book really got me into the urban fantasy genre. Lackey also does an excellent job of adding relevant pop culture inferences.
Dvdurante
Another great Bardic Magic from Lackey. If you are a musician (or if you wanted to be one) you should read this book! Oh and you should like fantasy book stoo.
~Anita~
Magic, music and fae make an excellent combination. (view spoiler)
Andrea
Sometimes poorly written, but an interesting story with a very interesting ending. Overall, a pleasant read.
Deb Duncan
One of my most favorite books written by Mercedes Lackey. Anyone who is a fan of music needs to read this series!
Kathy Davie
OH, Oh, oh...how does she do this? Again...Could. Not. Put. It. Down.
Mandi
LOVED this book! A bit confusing at the beginning but well worth it!
Foggygirl
Really liked the Bedlam Bard series.
Nancy Laney
Sep 01, 2013 Nancy Laney added it
Shelves: fiction
Bedlam Bards, Books 2 & 3
Cierra Wilson
Cierra Wilson marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2014
Beizal
Beizal marked it as to-read
Tkrystina
Tkrystina marked it as to-read
Mich
Mich added it
Jrajn
Jrajn marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2014
Alicia
Alicia marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2014
  • Bedlam Boyz (Bedlam's Bard, #3)
  • In Celebration of Lammas Night
  • Elvenblood (Halfblood Chronicles, #2)
  • Tiger Burning Bright
  • Brain Ships (Brainship, #2-3)
  • John the Balladeer (Silver John)
  • If I Pay Thee Not in Gold
  • Forward the Mage (Joe's World, #2)
  • Digital Knight
  • The Adept  (Adept #1)
  • Starmind (Stardance, #3)
  • Stealing the Elf-King's Roses
Mercedes entered this world on June 24, 1950, in Chicago, had a normal childhood and graduated from Purdue University in 1972. During the late 70's she worked as an artist's model and then went into the computer programming field, ending up with American Airlines in Tulsa, Oklahoma. In addition to her fantasy writing, she has written lyrics for and recorded nearly fifty songs for Firebird Arts &...more
More about Mercedes Lackey...
Arrows of the Queen (Heralds of Valdemar, #1) Magic's Pawn (Valdemar: Last Herald-Mage #1) By the Sword (Valdemar: Kerowyn's Tale, #1) Magic's Price (Valdemar: Last Herald-Mage #3) Magic's Promise (Valdemar: Last Herald-Mage #2)