Start by marking “Out Of Their Minds” as Want to Read:
Out Of Their Minds

Out Of Their Minds

3.43 of 5 stars 3.43  ·  rating details  ·  202 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Out of their minds and the force of their imagination, men have created countless beings, from demons and monsters of legend to comic-strip characters. What if their world were real--if dragons, devils and Don Quixote hobnobbed with Dagwood Bumstead and Charlie Brown? Such a world would have its facinations..and its dreadful perils--if it existed. Horton Smith found out th ...more
186 pages
Published (first published 1970)

To ask other readers questions about Out Of Their Minds, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Out Of Their Minds

The Lathe of Heaven by Ursula K. Le GuinGrass by Sheri S. TepperParable of the Sower by Octavia E. ButlerThe Adventures of the Stainless Steel Rat by Harry HarrisonThe Anubis Gates by Tim Powers
Most Under-rated Science Fiction
480th out of 1,070 books — 1,135 voters
Dune by Frank HerbertFahrenheit 451 by Ray BradburyThe Martian Chronicles by Ray BradburyThe Foundation Trilogy by Isaac AsimovRendezvous with Rama by Arthur C. Clarke
Golden Age & New Wave SF
114th out of 229 books — 219 voters

More lists with this book...

Perry Whitford
Horton Smith was after some peace and quiet so that he could write a book. A place where he could have expected to find that was his boyhood home, the sleepy, isolated village of Pilot Knob. What he didn't expect to happen when he arrived was to be chased by a Triceratops.

Escaping the dinosaur he seeks refuge and shares a meal and some moonshine whiskey with an elderly comic-strip couple brought to life, then wakes up in a cave with a rattlesnake on his chest.
To say the least, 'there was somet
Maureen
as with the other clifford d. simak books i've read, the ideas behind the story are simply ingenious strokes of miracle on the page, they are the ideas that you've almost thought of, but never fully realized only understanding this when confronted with a book like out of their minds. in out of your minds, simak is playing with the idea that man's own imagination is rebelling against him, that we've created beings as we imagined them, from our fears and whimsies, our comic strips, and bumps in th ...more
Raj
Mar 18, 2010 Raj rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: fantasy
I've read a lot of Simak's stuff, but this was the first fantasy of his that I've read. The plot toys with the idea that the characters of our imagination could be forced to exist by our belief, so the hero encounters the Devil, werewolves, Don Quixote and others. The idea is interesting but it wasn't pulled off well. The plot took too long to get going, spending the first quarter or so indulging in the love of old country life that is evident in a lot of Simak's work (although often used to muc ...more
Matteo Pellegrini

"L'immaginazione al potere" è il celebre slogan coniato a Parigi, nel 1968, durante la cosiddetta "rivoluzione di maggio". E Clifford Simak, che di immaginazione ne ha sempre avuta da vendere, l'ha presa alla lettera. Ma questo non è - ripetiamo, non è - un romanzo di fantasy. Streghe e castelli incantati, soldati nordisti e sudisti, personaggi di romanzi e di fumetti, lupi mannari e serpenti di mare hanno qui una ragione d'essere perfettamente razionale, una funzionalità d'ordine niente affatto

Christopher
Very fun book to read.
Nikki
Out Of Their Minds is pretty old SF compared to what I usually read, written in the 70s. Reading it now, most if not all of the ideas aren't new to me, but I imagine they were a lot fresher back when it was written. At first it seems to be quite serious, with the careful set up and slow build up, but it doesn't surprise me that it becomes more ridiculous as it goes along -- that's the way humans think, after all, and the crazy beliefs we've had in the past don't have to make that much sense. It' ...more
Adam Ross
An early Urban Fantasy novel about the evolution of the human mind being able to manifest their deepest myths and legends into real life, but which never fully seemed to live up to its premise. Decent 70s pulp, but nothing spectacular.
Ghoule
J'ai un bon souvenir de "Demain les chiens" du même auteur, ce qui rend la lecture de "L'Empire des esprits" d'autant plus décevante.

J'arrive difficilement à concevoir qu'un auteur de cette trempe ait pu écrire le récit d'un homme qu revient dans son patelin pour halluciner sur son chemin les personnages de la culture populaire qu'a fréquenté son imaginaire... j'ai décroché quand la clique de Walt Disney débarque.

Les personnages de Walt Disney dans un récit d'un auteur de la trempe de Simak? Es
Tom Loock
Note to self: Stop re-reading books you enjoyed as a teenager.

Though I still like Clifford D. Simak, those novels I have re-read lately have not aged well.

The characters are pretty stereotype (the pretty young school mistress? Please ...) and in this case the ending is very much rushed, almost as if Simak noticed too late that he had arrived at the last page. Or did he notice he had painted written himself into a corner ...
Adelaide Blair
Kinda weird, kinda fun.
Yvensong
This was a bit of a disappointment for me as I usually find Simak novels more engaging. About halfway through, I was almost ready to give up, but decided to continue since it was a short book.

There was a touch of Lovecraft in the sense that the things of madness, the darker side of man's mind might be real. Yet, I don't think that Simak pulled it off as well as Lovecraft does. The ending felt rushed and a bit silly (as did a few other parts of this story).
Dale Rosso
Jan 05, 2014 Dale Rosso rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: all ages
Shelves: science-fiction
Interesting story, man has created all kinds of creatures with his imagination and made them into comic strips, what if they became real? Horton Smith discovers a reality where they are and ends up right in the middle of it.
Joseph Saborio
"...Mr. Smith and his sulfurous friend..." Ha ha ha!
Funny how much of a change in the use of contractions in writing has occurred since this was written in 1970. To me, a cross between Weaveworld and The Shadow Over Innsmouth. my first Simak read, I'll give him at least another read.
Douglas Smith
I'm not sure which story Mr. Simak won a nebula award for, but it wasn't this one. The plot was thin and the characters underdeveloped. Not at all happy with it.
Walter Herrick
May 26, 2011 Walter Herrick marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bookswappers
Don't really like the author, so giving away the book.
Michel Clasquin-Johnson
Fun SF/fantasy mashup, but the ending is anticlimactic.
Luca
Luca is currently reading it
Apr 18, 2015
Colten
Colten marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2015
Pat
Pat added it
Mar 30, 2015
Ken
Ken marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2015
Robert
Robert marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2015
Bruno Hanquier
Bruno Hanquier marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2015
  • The Beast
  • A Trace of Memory
  • Brain Wave
  • The Howling Man
  • The Warlord of the Air (Oswald Bastable, #1)
  • The Survivors (Hunters # 2)
  • The Last Legends of Earth (Radix, #4)
  • Postmarked the Stars (Solar Queen, #4)
  • The Technicolor Time Machine
  • The Dream Years
  • It Happened in Boston?
  • Armageddon
  • Dangerous Visions 2
"He was honored by fans with three Hugo awards and by colleagues with one Nebula award and was named the third Grand Master by the Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America (SFWA) in 1977." (Wikipedia)

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clifford...
More about Clifford D. Simak...
Way Station City The Goblin Reservation Time and Again All Flesh is Grass