Start by marking “City Lullaby” as Want to Read:
City Lullaby

City Lullaby

Ice cream truck jing-a-linging Nine phones ringing, ten horns beeping In the stroller Baby's sleeping.

Will anything wake up that snoozing baby? Follow the red stroller through the cacophony of the city and find out! Rhythm, rhyme, and lots of noisy onomatopoeia from premier children's poet Marilyn Singer, coupled with chaotic, colorful art from an acclaimed European illust
Published October 15th 2007 by Clarion Books

To ask other readers questions about City Lullaby, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about City Lullaby

Lisa Suchy
Mar 24, 2015 Lisa Suchy rated it really liked it
The book "City Lullaby" is all about city life and the noises happening in the city. This is happening all while a baby is sleeping. Sounds like car horns, ringing phones, and the rumbling subway are only some discussed in this book. The book also countdown from 10 - "Traffic jam, 10 horns beeping..." all the way to "1 bird begins to twitter." Each city sound is paired with a number to describe the happenings in the city. The rhyming sentences and upbeat rhythm of the book makes for an easy ...more
Sarah Sammis
Aug 30, 2009 Sarah Sammis rated it really liked it
City Lullaby by Marilyn Singer and Illustrated by Carll Cneut is a counting book set in a busy and noisy city. A mother is pushing her sleeping baby through the hustle and bustle.

The noise is made up a traffic jam, ringing cell phones, dogs barking, trash cans being bashed about, car alarms, taxis, a two on two basket ball game, some busses and two loud motorcycles. None of this though can wake the baby, whose contented face is show opposite each of the crowded and busy city street illustrations
Esther Moss
Reading level: unknown, probably 2nd

Genre - picture books - there are illustrations on each page

This is a counting book from 10-0, where each page features a different city scene

Mentor traits:

Voice - the book has rhythm and rhyme

Word choice - the book features "jewel words," such as mashing, clanging, and bashing

Integration: I would read this book during a math lesson or to reinforce rhyming. I could also read it before or after a city field trip to help students get ready or process all the thi
Samantha Penrose
Aug 16, 2008 Samantha Penrose rated it liked it
Shelves: kids-books
Cute, but not great.
This cumulative text story counts down from ten to one as baby sleeps his way through a noisy city. I particularly liked the line about 9 annoying cell phones ringing....
There are tons of things to look at and count in the busy city illustrations and the text has a nice rhythm to it.
Not being a huge city girl I found it odd that baby sleeps through all of the artificial noise but is awoken by the sounds of nature!
A good read for 3-5 year olds....it offers a where's waldo-esq
Renee
Apr 24, 2008 Renee rated it really liked it
Beeping, ringing and barking, the sounds of the city come to life in this rhyming counting book. The right pages contain the text with the outline of a sleeping baby, while the left side has brightly colored illustrations of the city. The rhyming text lends itself to singing and children ages pre-K to kindergarten who live in a city will enjoy the funny twist of city sounds. My one critique is that in all of the pictures, people of different ethnicities are portrayed as having the same very ...more
jacky
May 24, 2011 jacky rated it liked it
I missed about half of this because Natalie was leading me across the room to visit a baby. What I did hear was pretty good. It lists city noises, including a number of items each time. For an adult, the ending is predictable. One quite noise wakes the baby when all the loud city noises don't. Good for those interested in cities, especailly if you are just about to go on a trip to one or have just gone home from one.
The Brothers
Jan 22, 2016 The Brothers rated it liked it
Shelves: babies, counting
More Dex's (2 years old) than Asher's (4 years old) speed. It's a counting book of city sounds surrounding a sleeping baby - such as seven trash cans bashing, eight dogs barking, nine phones ringing, etc. etc. In the end, its the gentle tones of a bird tweeting that finally wakes up the baby.

Pretty neat illustrations though - jumbled and fun.
Pam Mccullough
Sep 12, 2008 Pam Mccullough rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: any mom or dad who has small children
I actually picked this for my daughter Sam because of the cover, very bright and colorful, short and easy to read without alot of explanation from my 4yr old. Starts from 10 to 1 in a rhyming fashion, helps kids count down their numbers in a fun way. For all you moms out there this one's a keeper.
Kathleen
Dec 10, 2013 Kathleen rated it it was ok
Useless as a counting book. How is a kid supposed to count 10 horns honking or 9 phones ringing, etc.? Especially since half the items to count are barely on the page/in the gutter?

The pictures are pretty, but chaotic and busy and jumbled, which I suppose is appropriate, but makes it difficult for any purpose except learning about "life in a city."
Alice
Sep 24, 2013 Alice rated it liked it
Really need a half points systems. 3.5 Stars for me. This book was really good with the counting and the ha ha at the last. A baby can sleep through an atomic blast (figuratively) but the second a tiny bird tweets, baby is awake. The pictures are okay, and the number repetitions have a 12 Days of Christmas feel with out being too obnoxiousness or overly repetition. Fun one!
Elizabeth
May 26, 2008 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-lit
I liked the painting style of the illustrations, and I am always a fan of books that have a page or two dedicated to small pictures of the items being counted as a review.
Valleri
Oct 28, 2015 Valleri rated it really liked it
Somewhat difficult to not become tongue-tied while reading this repetitive city rhyme, but enjoyable nonetheless. I love that it includes the little things about the Big Apple.
Tricia
Nov 28, 2009 Tricia rated it liked it
Enjoyable. Bright illustrations and repetitive numbers/text tell the story of all going on in the city while baby is sleeping. Ending will delight children.
Joan Marie
Jan 25, 2016 Joan Marie rated it really liked it
a clever counting book where endless city noises don't wake the baby until a single bird tweets... wonderful, colorful illustrations!
Tee
Aug 29, 2011 Tee rated it it was amazing
Shelves: micah
Definitely Micah's favorite counting book!!! I thought it was pretty brilliant myself.
Leah Wall
Leah Wall rated it liked it
Aug 10, 2013
Monika Wagner
Monika Wagner rated it liked it
Nov 30, 2011
Eva
Eva rated it liked it
Jan 23, 2015
Lisa Delaine Youngblood
Lisa Delaine Youngblood rated it really liked it
Jan 27, 2016
Marylee Murphy
Marylee Murphy rated it really liked it
Jan 10, 2016
Casey Girard
Casey Girard rated it it was amazing
Nov 03, 2016
Tracy Hora
Tracy Hora rated it really liked it
Sep 06, 2016
Sadie
Sadie rated it liked it
Sep 28, 2009
Lisa Delacruz
Lisa Delacruz rated it it was amazing
May 13, 2014
Ellis
Ellis rated it really liked it
Apr 25, 2009
Pinky
Pinky rated it liked it
Aug 15, 2013
Richelle
Richelle rated it liked it
Jun 12, 2014
Debra
Debra rated it really liked it
Aug 27, 2008
« previous 1 3 next »
Marilyn Singer was born in the Bronx (New York City) on October 3, 1948 and lived most of her early life in N. Massapequa (Long Island), NY. She attended Queens College, City University of New York, and for her junior year, Reading University, England. She holds a B.A. in English from Queens and an M.A. in Communications from New York University.

In 1974, after teaching English in New York City hig
More about Marilyn Singer...