Start by marking “How to Catch an Elephant” as Want to Read:
How to Catch an Elephant

How to Catch an Elephant

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  61 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Here's the secret. Follow your uncle's advice and take to the jungle "3 cakes, 2 raisins, 1 telescope, and a pair of tweezers." Find a tree and wait for an elephant. If the elephant is angry, obstreperous, and hungry...hold on, be brave--things are not always what they seem.
Published October 3rd 2001 by DK Publishing (Dorling Kindersley) (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about How to Catch an Elephant, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Catch an Elephant

Susan
I have mixed feelings about this story. It has a clever folktale quality, but at the expense of the elephant being teased. The ending bothered me too since the story doesn't end well for the elephant.
Michelle
Overview: “Three cakes, 2 raisins, 1 telescope, and a pair of tweezers. That’s what you need to catch an elephant.” This is an amazing story of how a little girl catches an elephant with the items mentioned above!

Mommy Bookworm’s Thoughts: This book is full of bright, vibrant illustrations, and is quite fun to read – especially if you act out the elephant’s tantrums! Once again, there is a conflict online about what age group it’s appropriate for. I believe that younger children (3-5) would enjo
Rebecca
So, so cute! My five-year-old picked this book out at the library and read it to herself at home. Every few pages, she would stop and giggle. At the end of the book, she started laughing with such delight that I had to stop cooking dinner and come and find out what was going on (she had guessed what the tweezers were for). I loved that she had such a great experience discovering a book for herself. She read this book to my friend and to both her grandmothers over the phone with such expression.. ...more
MsLISt
She dedicates this book "To my fsther...who told me this story." After you read it, you can only imagine what a fun, sweet daddy he must have been. Great example of using one's imagination to solve a problem in the funnest of ways!
Paige Spicer
I really didn't enjoy this story at all. It didn't make sense and the pictures were not appealing.
Kathy Ellen Davis
This book is so cute!
The language is awesome, playful, and I laughed out loud when I found out how the elephant ended up being caught! Children will love the repetition, and, I'm sure, saying,
"Elephants are CRAZY about raisins!"

Haiku Review:
First, you'll need raisins.
They are crazy about them,
but they don't like cake!
Paula
Great book and it has wonderful body movements to have the kids do with you but the end result on how to catch an elephant might get lost on little ones
Provides instructions for using such necessary tools as cakes, raisins, tweezers, and a telescope to catch an elephant.
Peggy
I love this book! Stomp! Stomp! Stomp! Stamp! Stamp! Stamp! I mean really, elephants love raisins and they hate cake! Step by step instructions on how to catch an elephant are just down right funny, if not a little dangerous.
Bethany Dinger
I teach preschoolers and we LOVELOVELOVE this book. It's been on my shelf for 5 years and its always a favorite. Children who've left
the program come back to visit and always ask to read the elephant book!
Flora
This book was hard for Flora to understand, understandably... but Momma was a bit lost, too. Not one of Schwartz's best, though we think she's usually quite wonderful.
M.
Now I want to try to catch an elephant using three cakes, two raisins and a telescope.
Monica
A unique story with a clever, unexpected ending. My little boy loved it, too.
Corinne
Jun 03, 2008 Corinne rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: young children
Shelves: picture-books
Cute, silly story. Great use of verbs describing the elephant's actions.
Rachel
The kids really liked this funny "how-to" book :-)
Marisa
Fun to read to younger kids!
C.M
I loved this story!
Stephanie C
Stephanie C marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2014
Kim T.
Kim T. marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2014
Eileen
Eileen marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2014
Deb Lang
Deb Lang marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
Jenny
Jenny added it
Apr 06, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Amy Schwartz is the author and illustrator of many picture books for children, including Begin at the Beginning; Things I Learned in Second Grade; Bea and Mr. Jones, a Reading Rainbow feature; What James Likes Best, recipient of the 2004 Charlotte Zolotow Award; and a glorious day. She lives in Brooklyn, New York with her husband Leonard S. Marcus, and their son, Jacob.
More about Amy Schwartz...
100 Things That Make Me Happy Dee Dee and Me Bea and Mr. Jones Annabelle Swift Kindergartner Lucy Can't Sleep