Start by marking “How to Catch An Elephant” as Want to Read:
How to Catch An Elephant

How to Catch An Elephant

Here's the secret. Follow your uncle's advice and take to the jungle "3 cakes, 2 raisins, 1 telescope, and a pair of tweezers." Find a tree and wait for an elephant. If the elephant is angry, obstreperous, and hungry...hold on, be brave--things are not always what they seem.
Published October 3rd 2001 by DK Children (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about How to Catch An Elephant, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Catch An Elephant

Susan
Feb 11, 2010 Susan rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I have mixed feelings about this story. It has a clever folktale quality, but at the expense of the elephant being teased. The ending bothered me too since the story doesn't end well for the elephant.
Michelle
Jul 07, 2011 Michelle rated it really liked it
Overview: “Three cakes, 2 raisins, 1 telescope, and a pair of tweezers. That’s what you need to catch an elephant.” This is an amazing story of how a little girl catches an elephant with the items mentioned above!

Mommy Bookworm’s Thoughts: This book is full of bright, vibrant illustrations, and is quite fun to read – especially if you act out the elephant’s tantrums! Once again, there is a conflict online about what age group it’s appropriate for. I believe that younger children (3-5) would enjo
Cassandra Gelvin
Dec 01, 2016 Cassandra Gelvin rated it liked it
Fun with optics! Or something!

This is just weird. I think I had heard this story before, maybe in a shorter version like a joke. Basically, it says that in order to catch an elephant, you need cakes, raisins, a telescope, and a pair of tweezers. Because apparently, elephants love raisins but hate cake. Like the existence of cake just makes them angry. This is the weirdest, most surreal book. After some antics with cake and raisins, you're supposed to look through the telescope backwards so the e
Rebecca
Jul 17, 2009 Rebecca rated it liked it
So, so cute! My five-year-old picked this book out at the library and read it to herself at home. Every few pages, she would stop and giggle. At the end of the book, she started laughing with such delight that I had to stop cooking dinner and come and find out what was going on (she had guessed what the tweezers were for). I loved that she had such a great experience discovering a book for herself. She read this book to my friend and to both her grandmothers over the phone with such expression.. ...more
Kathy Ellen Davis
Jan 20, 2013 Kathy Ellen Davis rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This book is so cute!
The language is awesome, playful, and I laughed out loud when I found out how the elephant ended up being caught! Children will love the repetition, and, I'm sure, saying,
"Elephants are CRAZY about raisins!"

Haiku Review:
First, you'll need raisins.
They are crazy about them,
but they don't like cake!
Miss Sarah
Jul 25, 2016 Miss Sarah rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: elephants
This book was a little whimsical for my taste but I could see my preschoolers doing the movements. A little girl sets out on an adventure to catch an elephant using rains, a telescope, and cake. Will she succeed?
Peggy
Jul 25, 2008 Peggy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book! Stomp! Stomp! Stomp! Stamp! Stamp! Stamp! I mean really, elephants love raisins and they hate cake! Step by step instructions on how to catch an elephant are just down right funny, if not a little dangerous.
The Brothers
Jan 16, 2016 The Brothers rated it really liked it
Shelves: cakes, elephants
A rather cute and kooky story of a very unorthodox way to catch an elephant using raisins and cake. Asher (5 y.o.) ended up being able to read this story outloud to Dex (2 y.o.). They both enjoyed it a lot.

Simple, but fun illustrations.
Bethany Dinger
May 21, 2013 Bethany Dinger rated it it was amazing
I teach preschoolers and we LOVELOVELOVE this book. It's been on my shelf for 5 years and its always a favorite. Children who've left
the program come back to visit and always ask to read the elephant book!
Paula
Oct 01, 2011 Paula rated it really liked it
Great book and it has wonderful body movements to have the kids do with you but the end result on how to catch an elephant might get lost on little ones
Provides instructions for using such necessary tools as cakes, raisins, tweezers, and a telescope to catch an elephant.
KarenMLISt
Jan 18, 2014 KarenMLISt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
She dedicates this book "To my fsther...who told me this story." After you read it, you can only imagine what a fun, sweet daddy he must have been. Great example of using one's imagination to solve a problem in the funnest of ways!
Flora
Aug 22, 2007 Flora rated it it was ok
This book was hard for Flora to understand, understandably... but Momma was a bit lost, too. Not one of Schwartz's best, though we think she's usually quite wonderful.
Kayla
Kayla rated it liked it
May 12, 2011
Deana
Deana rated it really liked it
Feb 19, 2015
Jessica
Jessica rated it it was ok
Sep 30, 2014
Christopher
Christopher rated it liked it
Apr 07, 2013
Meg
Meg rated it did not like it
Aug 23, 2007
Becky Browne
Becky Browne rated it really liked it
Feb 24, 2016
Jj
Jj rated it really liked it
Aug 15, 2013
Lisa Marie
Lisa Marie rated it really liked it
Mar 28, 2011
Michael Barnett
Michael Barnett rated it it was amazing
Jun 07, 2014
Dorothy
Dorothy rated it really liked it
Sep 29, 2012
Anne Evans Hodges
Anne Evans Hodges rated it it was amazing
Jun 24, 2015
Emily
Emily rated it really liked it
Dec 09, 2013
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Aug 11, 2016
Kathleen
Kathleen rated it it was amazing
Sep 12, 2013
Megan
Megan rated it it was ok
Jul 01, 2016
Wid
Wid rated it it was amazing
Mar 22, 2014
Bridget R. Wilson
Bridget R. Wilson rated it liked it
Sep 21, 2009
Heather
Heather rated it it was amazing
Jun 07, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »
Amy Schwartz is the author and illustrator of many picture books for children, including Begin at the Beginning; Things I Learned in Second Grade; Bea and Mr. Jones, a Reading Rainbow feature; What James Likes Best, recipient of the 2004 Charlotte Zolotow Award; and a glorious day. She lives in Brooklyn, New York with her husband Leonard S. Marcus, and their son, Jacob.
More about Amy Schwartz...