Start by marking “Cascadia” as Want to Read:
Cascadia

Cascadia

4.08  ·  Rating Details  ·  145 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
Named for the ancient landform that preceded present-day California, Brenda Hillman's Cascadia creates from geological turbulence a fluid poetics of place. The book is Hillman's sixth collection and her most wide-ranging. The problem the book poses is nothing less than a phenomenology of transformation. In her previous work, Hillman's investigations of alchemy and of conte ...more
Published October 22nd 2001 by Wesleyan

To ask other readers questions about Cascadia, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cascadia

Simone
Aug 10, 2007 Simone rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviews
In Brenda Hillman’s Cascadia, a twin(n)ing of selfscape and landscape occurs. Like the protean California coastline, Hillman rapidly shifts between images of landscape to bodyscape, often employing declarative paratactic constructions.

By constructing a textual relationship between geography and self she attempts to impose a container over the luxuriance of landscape, bordering her poems with mathematical symbols, various punctuation marks, and single words located at the four corners of the pag
sarah
Aug 14, 2007 sarah rated it it was amazing
Never has a sense of geologic time contained such intimacy. This thin book brought me back to poetry after a very long hiatus I blame on a creepy intro to poetry prof. Anyway, this was assigned reading for Susan McCabe's contemporary poetry class and the closer I read it the more I loved it.
Mike
Apr 24, 2011 Mike rated it really liked it
Much like the studies of geology and history which form the foundation of her sixth collection of poetry, Brenda Hillman’s “Cascadia” (2001) often feels like a mystery waiting to be unpacked. In comparison to her first collection of poetry, “White Dress”, “Cascadia” leaves the reader with the impression that Hillman has spent the intervening decades digging deeper into her understanding of place, relationship, and what – in fact – is poetry.

The collection is built from the poet’s exploration of
Sandra
Aug 22, 2012 Sandra rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
Brilliant-as tidy as the geological processes that are at times front and center, sometimes below the surface of this place we call California. Hillman has a way of using language that represents the reality it depicts. Loved the gold rush series of about four poems midway. Also "Franciscan Complex," Shared Custody," and "Wood's Edge." Hillman brings in a sense of our becoming in the becoming of the land, as in the title poem "Cascadia," which could be a parable of California--its uniqueness, it ...more
Lightsey
May 02, 2008 Lightsey rated it liked it
I have given this the once through and am now wading back through it. I'm puzzled by Hillman's formal inventions and don't quite follow her through all her quirks, but I like the approach to subject matter, how her research on geology results not in polemic or metaphor but in actual physical presence--shelfs and faults as much in the poems as people or history. I also like the wide scope, and that Hillman doesn't seem to feel the need to close her circle, to line up and account for everything.
Christopher
May 10, 2008 Christopher rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in current poetry.
Recommended to Christopher by: Nobody.
Shelves: poetry
4.4 of 5. Wesleyan University proves once again (to me, at least) that they are surely the finest publisher of fresh, new poetry. Hillman owes a lot to Ashberry and others, but.. really, what a fantastic read. A litle difficult, surely dificult for those that don't read much like this. Extremely playful, yet serious. Hillman obviously has an incredible understanding of form.

Stephen M
Upon a second reading, I found this gem that I overlooked.

"Monsters of will and monsters of
willessness confront the garden; a dragon

crow greets the dusk with its
prow. Rhyming is a tool of

friendly desperation. The spirits will return
though they're not here now."

Woah! "Rhyming is a tool of friendly desperation"! That line alone earns it another star.
Karli
Mar 15, 2008 Karli rated it it was amazing
Writing the California landscape onto the body, these poems move from self to other and beyond. One of my favorite collections by a contemporary poet.
T.
T. added it
May 30, 2016
Matthew
Matthew marked it as to-read
May 14, 2016
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
May 09, 2016
Elias
Elias marked it as to-read
May 03, 2016
Carlos
Carlos added it
Mar 28, 2016
Liz
Liz is currently reading it
Mar 15, 2016
Isabelle
Isabelle marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2016
Evan
Evan added it
Jan 26, 2016
Zayda Tenney
Zayda Tenney rated it it was amazing
Jan 19, 2016
Sean Baker
Sean Baker marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2015
riel
riel rated it really liked it
Oct 28, 2015
Adrienne
Adrienne marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2015
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2015
Clint
Clint rated it really liked it
Sep 18, 2015
Fernando Ferreira
Fernando Ferreira marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2015
Hannah
Hannah rated it it was amazing
Aug 28, 2015
Brent Armendinger
Brent Armendinger rated it it was amazing
Jul 26, 2015
Jerrod
Jerrod marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2015
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2015
Alex
Alex marked it as to-read
May 11, 2015