Start by marking “The Snow Queen” as Want to Read:
The Snow Queen

The Snow Queen

3.76  ·  Rating Details  ·  8,626 Ratings  ·  742 Reviews
Reprinted here for the first time since the 19th century, these color illustrations by T. Pym make the classic Andersen fairy tale even more magical. One of Andersen's best-beloved tales, The Snow Queen is a story about the strength and endurance of childhood friendship. Gerda's search for her playmate Kay–who was abducted by the Snow Queen and taken to her frozen palace–i ...more
Published November 5th 2002 by Everyman's Library (first published 1844)

To ask other readers questions about The Snow Queen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Snow Queen

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg LarssonPippi Longstocking by Astrid LindgrenThe Girl Who Played with Fire by Stieg LarssonThe Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest by Stieg LarssonHunger by Knut Hamsun
Best Scandinavian and Nordic Literature
15th out of 888 books — 919 voters
A Christmas Carol by Charles DickensHow the Grinch Stole Christmas! by Dr. SeussThe Night Before Christmas by Clement C. MooreThe Polar Express by Chris Van AllsburgThe Best Christmas Pageant Ever by Barbara Robinson
Favorite Christmas Books
24th out of 796 books — 1,106 voters

More lists with this book...

Christy
Feb 02, 2015 Christy rated it liked it
3 stars

I picked up The Snow Queen because I'm trying to fit in a few more Christmas reads and I got it free from audible. The narration was good, but the story was just okay for me. I know a lot of people love this story and read it as children... this was my first read through. It was only about an hour to listen. I liked it, but compared to my last holiday audible listen it just missed the mark for me.
Carole (Carole's Random Life)
This was a nice story. I hope to listen to it again in one sitting. I think I may have lost some of the story with all of the stopping and starting I did.

I still don't feel compelled to watch Frozen after listening to this story.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja)
This is my favorite fairy tale, hands down. If I'm honest, I'm such a huge fan of snow and cold weather. The idea of snow becoming personified makes a lot of sense, because winter does seem to have a life of its own. I love in Texas, and we don't get much winter, but I grew up with it. I miss it so much! Reading this book makes me long for a good winter.

Along with the evocative imagery of winter, there is a very emotional and spiritual love story. Kay and Gerda share a strong emotional bond, but
Dem
Dec 22, 2014 Dem rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 Stars

The Snow Queen by Hans Christian Andersen was a beautiful story.
I listened to this one on audio while wrapping Christmas presents in front of the fire.
What great company this little book was.
Stepheny
Nov 19, 2015 Stepheny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: maybe-later
The Snow Queen was a free gift to audible members…last winter. It’s been loaded on my app for quite some time without really catching my interest. I made the decision to read it when I started season 4 of Once Upon a Time.

The narration was really great and I enjoyed the story. I have never watched Frozen. I was worried about that for a while because it was the movie everyone was talking about it… I had to let it go…

No one?

Alright. Can’t blame me, can you?

Anyway, it’s worth a read. The story is
Adam
Jan 02, 2014 Adam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-ebooks
Disney's Frozen said it was based on Hans Christian Andersen's The Snow Queen. That's what piqued my interest in this classic. So, after reading this, I can say fairly that Frozen is VERY loosely based. I found elements that contribute to the world and lore in which Elsa becomes the Snow Queen, but Hans's Snow Queen is less endearing. In short, I'll place the Snow Queen / Frozen comparison in the category of good book, great movie, but each in their own right.

Regarding edition, the Kindle ebook
Mara
Dec 14, 2014 Mara marked it as to-read
Shelves: audiobooks
Well, I'm not gonna turn down an audible freebie now am I?

Their take:
The Snow Queen will be free until January 31, 2015.
Audible's 2014 Narrator of the Year
Julia Whelan performs one of Hans Christian Andersen's most beloved fairy tales, The Snow Queen. This classic tale is a fantastical fable of two dear friends - one of whom goes astray and is literally lost to the north woods, while the other undertakes an epic journey to rescue him. This charming, strange, and wonderful story is a timeless
Becky
Audible freebie (like everyone else). I listened to this one while trying, and failing, to take a nap. Stupid stuffyrunnysore nose. >_<

I did like the reading of this one. I think that Julia Whelan had the right kind of voice for this story, and handled all of the characters well. She gave them each their own personality but didn't overwhelm the character with cartoonish voices.

The story... well, it was a little innocently simplistic for me, and none of it really made any sense (why would
Steph
Sep 19, 2015 Steph rated it liked it
I kind of like this. I was a little lost at the end but overall I thought it was really interesting. It's really different from what I'm used to and I'm really interested in the old interpretations of our modern retelling of the stories. The author definitely has an interesting imagination
David
Dec 19, 2014 David rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Clever boys and girls, icy queens, crows thinking about retirement
This Audible freebie is a nice way to hear the original Hans Christian Andersen fairy tale. It's not a particularly thrilling fable - boys meets girl, boy loses girl, boy gets girl back - though really, it's the girl who does the getting.

The story starts with an evil hobgoblin (also referred to as a demon) who goes to magic school (why did Rowling not find a way to hook this into her mythology?) and creates a magic mirror which shows "reality" in the harshest, ugliest way possible. It is shatter
Jarom
Mar 10, 2013 Jarom rated it really liked it
I. LOVE. THIS. STORY.
Yes, this is a fairy tale that I plan to tell my children before I tuck them into bed at night. Holy cow.
This is the tale of a boy and a girl. Simple enough, right? The story hasn't even begun and you know it will be good.
It all begins with a mirror. Made by demons in the pits of Hades, this mirror takes everything good that looks into it and makes it the exact opposite. The better of a person you are, the worse it makes you look.
This mirror shatters. Shards fall to the ear
Lyn
Jan 08, 2015 Lyn rated it liked it
First published in 1844, The Snow Queen by Hans Christian Anderson is a delightfully charming, if somewhat dated, fantasy – back when fantasies were called faerie tales.

Told in seven parts, Anderson borrows liberally from Christian themes and pre-Christian myth to create a richly complex, but simply entertaining story that children will enjoy and adults will find amusing, especially the classical, Biblical and mythic references that may be lost, unapologetically so, on a younger reader.

C.S. Lew
Gavin
Feb 15, 2015 Gavin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was another audiobook that Audible gave away for free. Unfortunately this was as bad as the last freebie offering. This was a dreadful bore. Thankfully it was a short read.

Rating: 2 stars.

Audio Note: Even the excellent Julia Whelan could not save this story.
Macarena
Mar 09, 2015 Macarena rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Puedo ver que parte tomaron para hacer Frozen. Es un lindo cuento en general :3
MishyJo

A few random thoughts.
*They say this story inspired Disney's Frozen. I didn't get the connection, but that's okay.
*This is a children's story but I have a feeling there was a deeper message I totally missed.
*The story was way more religious than I expected.
*I can see why Julia Whelan won Audible's 2014 Narrator of the Year award. She's quite good.
*It was free.

That's all I've got. I didn't love it. I didn't hate it.
Chrissie
An excellent fairy tale. Fairy tales should first scare you and then resolve happily. This fits that bill. It must be entertaining to both the adult reading the tale and the child. I admit it; I was tense, annoyed and worried ....and then happy. If the parent is bored, it is not a good fairy tale. The child will feel your own emotional response.

Hans Christian Andersen knew how to write stories for both adults and kids. I chuckled. I marveled at the author's ability to create an exciting story, e
Colleen Houck
It seems that Frozen was inspired by this story but I can't see much of a similarity. Really liked the determined little girl who sought after her lost playfellow. The phrase birds of a feather flock together stuck out to me and I looked it up to see if this was the first time it had appeared in literature. It wasn't. Apparently the origin of the phrase was William Turner's 1545 version of it in The Rescuing of Romish Fox: "Byrdes of on kynde and color flok and flye allwayes together." Though th ...more
aPriL does feral sometimes
Gerda, a little girl, undertakes a delightful journey to find her friend Kay, a little boy. Kay has been taken by the Snow Queen, having been seduced by the Queen's blandishments and promises through nefarious means. When Gerda notices Kay is missing, she bravely decides to search for him.

Gerda meets many curious birds, animals and interesting people, who gift her with useful items and knowledge. The talking flowers are not exactly useful, but they certainly are charming!

The robber maiden made
Lily
The Snow Queen seems to occupy an unusual position in the pantheon of fairy tales. It doesn't quite have the ubiquity and instant familiarity of Cinderella, Beauty and the Beast, or The Ugly Duckling. If you ask someone to summarize the plot for you, they might have only a vague idea. At the same time, the story has stayed very much alive - CS Lewis's The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, Disney's Frozen, and other fictional works (like this boardgame I just got) all show the influence of the f ...more
Laura V.
No pude resistirme a leer este cuento cuando vi el reto. Casi me olvidaba que lo había escrito Andersen.
Me encanta. Amo los escenarios con nieve, y este lo tiene a raudales.
Me gusta que la chica salve al chico. Que el bien venza al mal. Que la amistad sea un hilo poderoso. Que existe alguien que cree en ti con la suficiente fuerza como para recorrer medio mundo en tu busqueda.
Al final, no lo entendí. Pero lo pensé y lo repensé y creo que quiere decir que conservaron en su corazón la pureza de
Duane
This Hans Christian Andersen children's story is a classic tale of good versus evil, played out by the young Gerda and Kay as they thwart the evil intentions of the Snow Queen. It may be too intense for very young children, but it redeems itself with a sweet ending. Several adaptations have been made into movies, plays, and musicals, the latest being Disney's very popular movie, Frozen.
Allan
Dec 16, 2014 Allan added it
Shelves: audiobook
A quick listen having downloaded this free from Audible. Another example of my having no imagination for the fantastical, the fact that even as a kid, I wouldn't have been attracted to the story says a lot for what I thought of this one. But hey-it was just under an hour to listen to and was free!
Susan
Dec 21, 2014 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audible, classic
Thank you Audible for a great free classic. It shows how Hans C.A. Could be a very dark at times, fairy tail writer. Great mystical short for the holiday.
Sophia
Sometimes one needs to step back from the writings of contemporary authors and even from that of books meant for adults and take up a children's classic to be enchanted all over again by a familiar story. My last encounter with The Snow Queen was a well-done community theater production over twenty years ago. This is why when Audible graciously offered a free copy to its members as a Christmas present, I eagerly accepted. I love fairytales even this many years later as an adult so I happily play ...more
Tim Hatfield
Dec 08, 2010 Tim Hatfield rated it really liked it
Wonderful story. Evil trolls make a mirror that exasorbates the hideous and evil and diminishes the good in people. They want to take it up to God and show his flaws, the mirror starts laughing out loud at this prospect and they drop it shattering it to pieces. These pieces land in the hearts and eyes of people back on earth turning them into little troll mirrors. Our boy in the story, Kai, gets a shard in his eye and in his heart and begins to be cynical and condescending where once he was char ...more
Vaishali Joglekar
Apr 01, 2016 Vaishali Joglekar rated it really liked it
Shelves: european-fiction
A highly innocent, magical tale divided into seven stories. I found the third long-winded, but very young children may love it. Disney's "Frozen" is loosely based on this work, but not nearly as enchanting.
Francisca Viegas
I was in need of something to read, but since I'm so overwhelmingly occupied having to study for my exams, it had to be something quick.
This little fairytale sat on my TBR pile for ages. I admit to being very curious about this story, because - if you didn't already know - I'm a big fan of the TV series Once Upon a Time, and this season featured the Snow Queen.
As I was reading this story I remembered being a little kid and my mother reading it to me as a bedtime story.
It is a short but beautiful
John Martindale
Dec 27, 2014 John Martindale rated it really liked it
I wonder if the Snow Queen was a response to the Age of Reason, maybe it was even written from a Christian Fideist position. If so, though extreme, it offers a good counter-balance.

Anderson's idea of the mirror that shrunk the good to nothing and magnified the bad and how this mirror shattering into billions of pieces that got into people's eyes and heart, was genius. I liked how Gerta continued to love Kai, even when he grew cantankerous, "grown up", "rational" and rude once the glass from the
Matt
Apr 27, 2016 Matt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was invited to read The Snow Queen by Hans Christian Andersen to my daughter's 3rd grade class. I learned that Hans Christian Andersen wrote 168 tales during his lifetime, which impressed me a lot.

This version of the tale is beautifully illustrated by one of my favorite illustrators, Mary Englebreit. The illustrations were very bright and cheerful, and really added to the experience of the story.

The Snow Queen of course is what the movie Frozen is based on. There are many differences between
Brightness
A gorgeous fairy tale with a deep and meaningful message.
  • The Tinderbox
  • Cinderella
  • Little Red Riding Hood
  • The Little Mermaid
  • Priče iz davnine
  • Тримата братя и златната ябълка
  • Christmas in Noisy Village
  • The Dolls' Christmas (Tasha Tudor Collection)
  • Click-Clack the Rattlebag
  • Snow-White and the Seven Dwarfs: A Tale from the Brothers Grimm
  • The Tale of Samuel Whiskers, or The Roly-Poly Pudding
  • The Twelve Dancing Princesses
Hans Christian Andersen (often referred to in Scandinavia as H. C. Andersen; April 2, 1805 – August 4, 1875) was a Danish author and poet. Although a prolific writer of plays, travelogues, novels, and poems, Andersen is best remembered for his fairy tales. Andersen's popularity is not limited to children; his stories—called eventyr, or "fairy-tales"—express themes that transcend age and nationalit ...more
More about Hans Christian Andersen...

“I can give her no greater power than she has already, said the woman; don't you see how strong that is? How men and animals are obliged to serve her, and how well she has got through the world, barefooted as she is. She cannot receive any power from me greater than she now has, which consists in her own purity and innocence of heart. If she cannot herself obtain access to the Snow Queen, and remove the glass fragments from little Kay, we can do nothing to help her.” 144 likes
“Then little Gerda said the Lord's Prayer; the cold was so intense that she could see her own breath; it came out of her mouth like smoke. Her breath became thicker and thicker, and took the form of little angels who grew larger and larger as soon as they touched the ground. All had helmets on their heads, and lances and shields in their hands; their numbers increased, and when Gerda had finished her prayer a whole legion stood around her. They trust their lances against the horrible snow-flakes, so that the latter flew into a hundred pieces; and little Gerda went forward safely and cheerfully. The angels stroked her hands and feet, so that she felt the cold less, and she hastened on to the Snow Queen's castle.” 6 likes