Start by marking “A Piece of Justice (Imogen Quy, #2)” as Want to Read:
A Piece of Justice (Imogen Quy, #2)

A Piece of Justice (Imogen Quy #2)

Imogen Quy, the school nurse at St. Agatha's College, Cambridge, is intelligent, compassionate, and inquisitive - her last name rhymes with why. Imogen takes an active interest in her patients: In fact, trying to keep students out of danger has a way of getting Imogen into it. This time that student is her friend and boarder, Fran Bullion. Fran innocently undertakes to com ...more
Published July 15th 1995 by Minotaur Books (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about A Piece of Justice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Piece of Justice

Bev
A Piece of Justice by Jill Paton Walsh is the second of her Imogen Quy (rhymes with "why") mystery series. Imogen is the nurse at Cambridge's imaginary St. Agatha's College. In this particular outing another student may be in danger and this time the student is one of Imogen's boarders and friend, Fran Buillon. Fran, a graduate student in need of money, gratefully undertakes to complete a biography of a mathematician. A seemingly simple task that was begun by three other biographers but never fi ...more
May 06, 2011 Laura rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Laura by: Bettie
Mystery and danger threaten Fran when she takes over the biography of mathematician Gideon Summerfield.
Jane
Jul 13, 2010 Jane rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I took this book to read while travelling and it held my interest. The heroine, Imogen, is a younger version of Miss Marple. Her interest in quilting helps her solve this mystery.
Ali
Feb 27, 2017 Ali rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Entertaining, but a bit silly.... being a quilter and knowing Cambridge well, made it fun for me.
Mick Leach
Mar 22, 2017 Mick Leach rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yep, as another reviewer has put, "entertaining, but a bit silly"; easy to read fluff with implausible characters and plot but enjoyable nonetheless. (Certainly not in the gritty realism genre of crime fiction.)
Alejandrina
Well written British University mystery, but I just could not believe the story. There is a deranged character going to extremes to protect someone's reputation. Ok. But there is another deranged character committing crimes to protect another reputation. Hmmm.
Simon Mcleish
Mar 29, 2012 Simon Mcleish rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Originally published on my blog here in November 1998.

A Piece of Justice is the second of Walsh's detective novels to feature Imogen Quy, nurse at St Agatha's, a fictional Cambridge college. As you would expect from a Booker shortlisted author, it is well written, though it doesn't have a particularly difficult puzzle.

Imogen has taken a lodger, a postgraduate student named Fran writing a thesis on the nature of biography. To be able to live while working on this, she asks her supervisor if he h
Mary Ronan Drew
Dec 21, 2010 Mary Ronan Drew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some folks like Jill Paton Walsh and some don't. I do. And of all her many books her Imogen Quy (rhymes with Why) series are perhaps my favorites. The first book in the series was The Wyndham Case. This is the second.

Imogen is the school nurse at St Agatha's College, Cambridge. She is friends with the master's wife. And she rents a couple of rooms in her Victorian house to students. This puts her in the center of college doings and she is alarmed when one of her roomers takes over an academic bi
Lawrence
Aug 18, 2012 Lawrence rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A solid comfy mystery - cum- academic novel. Tea and crumpets; the protagonist talking "crisply" and making sure to put the quiche in the oven before returning an important phone call; the lead cop, Mike, always doing things "cheerfully"-- this is more Midsomer Murders than Morse, and that's not necessarily a criticism. My wife couldn't get beyond the description of the quilting party in the first chapter, and I can't blame her, but that turns out not to dominate, and instead to establish the co ...more
Kath
Sep 20, 2010 Kath rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read the two Imogen Quy novels (bound into one paperback) while on holiday in Asia. Interesting experience of being in the tropics while reading about English university life (need to check if set in Cambridge or Oxford!). Imogen Quy is an interesting character, may be too much in the tradition of Miss Marple - OK not quite, but be warned . . . everyone's friend, unlucky in love. Fellow reader used word 'twee' (?!) to describe . . . I enjoy it for the 'inside look' into life at Oxbridge and ther ...more
Carolynne
Sep 16, 2008 Carolynne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Carolynne by: Bethany
Shelves: mysteries
Imogen's friend Fran takes over an uncompleted biography of an obscure Cambridge mathematician, only to discover that those who previously researched his life had either died or disappeared in mysterious circumstances. A beautiful old quilt in a quaint Welsh farmhouse has an unexpected significance to the story. Complex, literate mystery. I am anxious to read more about Imogen Quy--I've always liked Paton Walsh's books (_Fireweed_, _The Green Book_, _Goldengrove_ and _Unleaving_)
but her mysterie
Michale
Jun 15, 2011 Michale rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The second book in the Imogen Quy mysteries, this delightful story is understated and sweet. Antique Road Show fans will appreciate her quilting dicussions in this mystery. I think Paton Walsh did a wonderful job completing Sayers' Lord Peter series. Although these mysteries are set in Cambridge rather than Oxford, the distinctions are lost on me as a savage American. I'm looking forward to completeing this series.
Rob
Jun 29, 2007 Rob rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Disappointing! I expected more from this novel, as I had read Knowledge Of Angels by Paton Walsh many years ago.

This sold itself as a kind of Morse-esque detective novel - set in a university town, I thought it would be erudite and clever. Instead, it was dull and bookish.

Read Knowledge Of Angels if you want to enjoy Paton Walsh's writing. Steer clear of anything that mentions Imogen Quy
Grey853
Feb 01, 2011 Grey853 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, cozy
Risa
Jul 19, 2012 Risa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A super cozy mystery, involving quilting, academics, biographers, and revealing discussions that take place in a Senior Common Room, which I always enjoy. Compared with Sayers, of course, the writing is very run-of-the-mill, but for a standard cozy mystery, the prose isn't bad. The detective, who as far as I can tell is something like 34 years old, is characterized somewhat like an elderly maiden aunt, but I'll just imagine her as elderly and keep reading the series.
Stven
Aug 25, 2012 Stven rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This did not inspire the excitement that The Bad Quarto did when I first discovered Imogen Quy, but it was a fair read notwithstanding.

And fine, so Quy rhymes with "why." But should we say "kwy" or "ky"?
Sandie
Feb 16, 2012 Sandie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Another mystery set in Cambridge. The protagonist in this one is Imogen Quy, a university part time nurse and a quilter. She becomes friends with Frances Bullion, a student, and gets involved when Frances' biography project runs awry. The whole plot weaves around mathematical discoveries and quilts. A nice cozy read.
Erin
Nov 23, 2010 Erin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
An amateur-detective story...except the main character isn't really trying to be a detective, just kind of stumbles across the solution to a mystery/crime, so I don't know how apt that description is really.

This was an unassuming kind of book. Didn't really strike me as anything super special, but not offensively bad or anything either. I'd definitely recommend it to fans of cozies.
Kirsty Darbyshire
May 30, 2012 Kirsty Darbyshire rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
Unexpectedly delightful! I gave the first in the series an okay-ish three stars, but I really enjoyed this one! I think it was mostly that the mystery+mathematics+quilting combination is completely my cup of tea but added to this it was well written, mostly well plotted and had a lot of strong female characters. Will definitely be back for the rest of the series now.
Susan
Jul 28, 2012 Susan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries, library
So many good things here--ideas about biography, politics at Cambridge colleges, women's history, mathematics and quilting, the settings in Cambridge and English countryside, clever plotting, reasonable length. Too much coincidence to be believable and too many plot threads tied up with a bow at the end spoiled a promising beginning .
Ellen Ramsey
Sep 26, 2010 Ellen Ramsey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Linda
Jan 28, 2015 Linda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another charming mystery, with lots of interesting details - quilting and mathematics combine as Imogen's boarder, Fran, works on the biography of a Cambridge scholar. Several others started work on his story and all have died or disappeared. Will Fran be next?
Elizabeth
Jun 02, 2012 Elizabeth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This intriguing mystery is pieced together as intricately as one the quilts Imogene Quy describes. It has a nice balance of plot and background history. The characters are all nicely drawn and interesting. It is a keeper.
Susan
Sep 02, 2014 Susan rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The best things about this book were that it was short and that it was a easy read. The reasos that i didn't like it are numerous:- awful pratty characters, terrible language given it was written in the 1990's, droll crime, and just uninteresting.
Thebroadgrumps
Reasonably well written book, the one great thing about this series is that it is so easy to like the main characters. And the crime and detection are pretty good also
Alex
Dec 29, 2011 Alex rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lovely cosy mystery set in Cambridge, after which you will never see quilt-making in the same light again.
Cyn Mcdonald
Oct 08, 2014 Cyn Mcdonald rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Obvious clues leading to obvious conclusions, but I rather liked it anyway.
Jan Duthie
Jul 26, 2015 Jan Duthie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Having read the Sayers/Paton Walsh books I was interested in exploring this series. A good read with plenty of twists in the plot. Very enjoyable.
Andy Plonka
Oct 01, 2015 Andy Plonka rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
College nurse Imogene Quy investigates a case which has at its core quilt patterns and mathematics. Well done!
April
Imogen is a different kind of mystery solver which makes her interesting.
  • A Drink of Deadly Wine
  • Death in a Tenured Position (A Kate Fansler Mystery #6)
  • Cutting Edge (Charles Resnick, #3)
  • Watcher in the Pine (Tejada, #3)
  • Dear Departed (Bill Slider, #10)
  • Murder on a Kibbutz (Michael Ohayon, #3)
  • Death of a Dormouse
  • Dolly and the Nanny Bird (Johnson Johnson, #5)
  • Honest Doubt (A Kate Fansler Mystery #13)
  • Christmas at High Rising
  • Point Deception (Cape Perdido, #1)
  • The Knocker on Death's Door (Felse, #10)
  • Overture to Death (Roderick Alleyn, #8)
  • The Arsenic Labyrinth (Lake District Mystery #3)
  • Pagan Spring (Max Tudor #3)
Jill Paton Walsh was born Gillian Bliss in London on April 29th, 1937. She was educated at St. Michael's Convent, North Finchley, and at St. Anne's College, Oxford. From 1959 to 1962 she taught English at Enfield Girls' Grammar School.

Jill Paton Walsh has won the Book World Festival Award, 1970, for Fireweed; the Whitbread Prize, 1974 (for a Children's novel) for The Emperor's Winding Sheet; The
More about Jill Paton Walsh...

Imogen Quy (4 books)
  • The Wyndham Case (Imogen Quy, #1)
  • Debts of Dishonor (Imogen Quy, #3)
  • The Bad Quarto (Imogen Quy, #4)