Start by marking “Destiny” as Want to Read:
Destiny

Destiny

Edward and Helene.  When they met it was more than coincidence. When  they fell in love it was more than passion. When  they thought they'd lost it all, they should have  known they were wrong--they should have known it  was Destiny.
Published January 1st 1988 by Bantam (first published May 1st 1987)

Arah-Leah Hay
3.5 Stars

The great thing about this book, is that you can easily get lost in the story, the characters. I find that almost mandatory when reading a novel this size. It is a sweeping love story spanning decades between the past and present lives of Edouard de Chavigny and Helene Craig. If I would liken it to anything I immediately think of Gone With The Wind. In scope and the passing of time and events lived through two characters who are meant to be together but obviously circumstance prevent. T
Sue
Sep 26, 2007 Sue rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Love story
Shelves: romance
Written in 1987 and I still can't forget this book. I haven't read it since the 80's so my taste may have changed... I will have to re-read this to see if I still feel the same.

I worked for a bookstore in Aloha and saw this book. I have very ecletic tastes in books and have read a lot of historical fiction and Danielle Steele but wanted to try my hand at something different.

At first I was outraged by what was happening to the main character, Helene, to the point I almost quit reading as she gets
Sarah Weldon
Apr 28, 2011 Sarah Weldon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was the first book I read by Sally Beauman her characters seemed so real. The story starts in America and moves from there to Paris where she meets Edouard, has an illegitimate child who she assumes was the child of her childhood sweetheart. Begins a glittering new career and finally settles down to a life with Edouard. I cried as I read the last chapters, it had such a sad ending too... It was a truly wonderful book.
Connie Werner Reichert
This is one of the most exquisite books I have ever had the pleasure to read!!!
Nicoletta
" Ci saranno sempre cose che non puoi controllare......."
Niente, nulla è certo, tutto quello che ci circonda è volontà del fato, di un destino già scritto per ognuno di noi.
Un destino ingiusto, impetuoso, che ha travolto i protagonisti di questa meravigliosa storia che non abbandonerà mai il mio cuore.
Helene e Edouard mi hanno fatto provare tante emozioni trascinandomi dalla gioia al dolore e dall'amore all'odio in un nanosecondo. Sono stati protagonisti della loro storia in maniera accesa, entr
Olivia
Apr 21, 2012 Olivia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
my first thought about this book was that it would be big book that i could just read when i got bored.This was not so.i seriously couldn't put this book down it was amazing.I mean the whole history and timeline was done so well it captivated me from the beginning and i didn't want o stop reading till i read.If your looking for a good book to read one that would engage you and make you fall in love with all the characters.THIS IS THE BOOK.I cried ,its truly touching!!!
Amy
"The power you have when you're different. When people can't place you, sum you up..."

"We ARE our past, after all. Everything we've done, everything that has happened to us - that's what we are."

Seonaid
Sep 08, 2014 Seonaid rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I first read Destiny when it came out in 1987 (I think) and everybody was talking about it - it caused quite a sensation, even in the 80s, THE era for sensational blockbuster novels. I wondered if I would still like it, nearly 30 years on; oddly enough, I think I like it even more now. It is not as 'sensational' as it was (oh, how jaded we are!), but this time round I picked up far more on how intelligently written and plotted it is, how well crafted and structured, and how rounded out the chara ...more
Cora
Oct 04, 2010 Cora rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I couldn't put this one down. It's an 80s style character intrigue style story similar to books by Danielle Steele. A rural misfit, Helen, goes to the city after her mother has an abortion. She ends up going through one hell after another, becomes an actress, and eventually reconnects with Edward, who is the love of her life.

Never in a million years would I have guessed the end of this book. Very bittersweet, and I can't say I would have handled the ending the same way. Too much water under the
Manuela
Feb 20, 2011 Manuela rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Linda Leigh
Jul 17, 2014 Linda Leigh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Katie
Nov 28, 2010 Katie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not ususally a fan of romance novels; however, I really like Sally Beauman's novels and this one in particular. This IS a love story, but the characters are interesting and do interesting things. It's not just a romance, and nary a pirate or virgin in distress in sight. This story is entertaining, and you will find yourself remembering the characters and scenarios long after reading. This book was written decades ago, but I think it is timeless and an engrossing, enjoyable read. I told my fr ...more
Robbi Leah  Freeman
Wow what a long book! But the writing and story keeps you reading.
Helene starts out as a little girl in Alabama, growing up in a trailer. Her mom ran away from home, has an adventure that introduces you to the other side of the story where the mom's past has stuck with her and even though she's in America she raises her daughter for a life she wants to go back to in England. It's a love story with many twists and turns. I will read more by this author. The writing and story are both excellent.
Sher
Sep 10, 2012 Sher rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this probably about 15 years ago and was so tore up by the ending I decided to re read it here last month. I only got about half way through and decided not to live through the heartbreak again, but it is a very good book and I do recommend it!
Linette Allen
May 31, 2016 Linette Allen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice line: "Cassie sighed, and began to pour the coffee. It was going to be all right, she thought. It was going to be all right."
Brenda Arellano
Aug 21, 2012 Brenda Arellano rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm not usually into what seems to be fines as sappy, love driven romance sagas...especially by women authors. But this book is ahhhhmazing!!! I think it's about time to reread this one!
Shelley Coughlin
I did not like this book. Characters felt superficial and I did not care about them. I did not like the way the romance played out.
Jaylea
Feb 20, 2017 Jaylea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Woooah baby.I wanted to give this five stars but...that place is reserved for books that make me want to move to wherever its happening, find the hero and steal him from the heroine...and...shop at all the local stores.Meet the rest of the book neighbors.This book...my oh my...all I am going to say is-strap in and be ready for a trippin ride and ending.
Jean
Dec 19, 2014 Jean rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fantastic Book! One of the best stories I've read in a long time! I enjoy historical fiction, especially stories about past wars, so this was "right up my alley"! This author was unknown to me, but, after this book, I want to read everything he has ever written! That is how much I enjoyed this book. The story was set during World War II and followed 3 main characters and their families, in both their native countries and their military countries. There were so many different relationships inte ...more
Deborah Gemmell
Jun 16, 2014 Deborah Gemmell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great novel, one you can really get lost in! The love Story of Hélène and Edouard was a really sweet but tragic one. Firstly Hélènes innocence is taken away from her by an older man - Major Calvert. She then loses the first boy who really meant something to her - Billy - after giving herself to him. At the exact same time she loses her mother Violet after she leaves to have her pregnancy terminated. The father of this baby would have been Major Calvert. She then meets Edouard and they fall in ...more
Joyce
Sep 18, 2015 Joyce rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was the closest thing to watching a Lifetime TV mini series. I thought this book would never end. I was intrigued by the idea of this great love story in the beginning but it wore thin quickly. Way too much extraneous detail and way too many extraneous scenes that went on and on. Movie production is interesting to a point. Jewelry design is interesting to a point. Home decor is interesting to a point.

Even the characters were at times caricatures or stock persona. The poor little girl from
Eli
May 10, 2016 Eli rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Интересен роман. Доста време ми отне, докато го прочета. Но като се има предвид обемът (900 стр.) и малкото време, което можех да отделям за четене през деня, е разбираемо. Все пак успях.
"Карма" представлява един реален поглед върху живота. Тайни и интриги. Любов, но не някаква провъзнесена. Егоизъм и лицемерие. Героите търсят своето щастие. Всеки се стреми да задоволи собствените си нужди. Истинският живот.
Сюжетът се върти, около двама герои. Това са Елен и Едуард. Двамата се срещат и намират е
Valerie
Aug 28, 2015 Valerie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ever read a book that you can't put down because the characters have such a hold on you? This was such a book for me. The story is a rather classic romance and poor girl makes rich, but the quality of the storytelling was so good! I couldn't wait to get home and read more of it, so much so I finished it far more quickly than I expected. Now I miss it and its rich characters... Really enjoying Sally Beauman's writing style and stories! I won't say anything my feelings about the end, as it would i ...more
Nancy
Oct 06, 2012 Nancy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I don't know what to do about this one. Normally, this is not my kind of thing, but I did read it and did like the characters.
The plot was ok, but there were huge coincidences as there sometimes are in life, but it was continuously melodramatic.
It's a rags to riches story and one of love and hate and revenge and love again. It was ok to read once, but I liked Beauman's Dark Angel better.
Kbrooke
Jul 24, 2016 Kbrooke rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My summer twinkie for 2016. So shamefully delicious I inhaled its more than 800 pages in two days (on my iPhone, no less, since my Kindle finally gave up the ghost the week before). Yes the entire denouement of the novel hangs on a dilemma that, in reality, French law would have prevented, but oh well: we're not in this for accuracy and common sense. Pop some popcorn, buy some bonbons, climb into bed, and close the door.
Lynn Russo
Mar 13, 2016 Lynn Russo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love a good novel. And I’ve read dozens of them. But every once in a while, a book comes along that really moves me, that gets to my soul and I know that I will never forget it.

Recently, I read such a book. It’s title is Destiny, and it was written by Sally Beauman, a British woman. As a fellow writer, I have such respect for the depth of her characters, the way their lives wove together and their paths crossed.

Read more: http://bit.ly/1TZbbau
Kacy
Jul 17, 2015 Kacy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My first Sally Beauman, but definitely not my last. Looking forward to exploring the rest of her catalog.

I'm technically giving it a 4.75 because there were a very few sections that seemed to drag, but on the whole a beautifully written, wonderfully paced book. Think classic Greek tragedy, but with jewelry and Rolls-Royces mixed in. Loved it.
Jackie
Jun 20, 2009 Jackie rated it it was amazing
At the recommendation of a friend, Gayle, who fondly remembered reading it many years ago, I moved it to the top of my 'to read' pile and started it yesterday. After staying up very late reading, and reading all afternoon/early evening today, I devoured this book (all 800+ pages!). Such complex relationships, truly a love story, the author develops the characters fully, thoughtfully.
Ashley
Jul 01, 2013 Ashley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A passionate story, spanning several countries, rich with international characters, across three decades as it tells the tale of a rich and powerful couple.i actually got this book from a friend i thougt it was boring because of the cover which doesn't say much.But after reading its my best book of all times.
Samantha
Started off really well, yet felt towards the end the author rushed through to finish, leaving me feeling a little let down. Maybe because I already knew the ending I was expecting the author to do more with that information or compared to 'Dark Angel' I was expecting too much. However, that being said, it's a good easy-to-get-into book to read on-the-go (i.e plane/train).
  • Ribbon in the Sky (Dolan Brothers, #1)
  • Everything and More
  • Homesong
  • Sins
  • Casting Stones
  • Bent Creek
  • Always Summer
  • Dancing with the Ferryman
  • Front Page Engagement (Park Avenue Scandals #2)
  • Tanamera
  • The Perpetual Quest for the Perfect Life
  • The Town House (House, #1)
  • Savage Embers (Savage, #10)
  • Fraidy Hole
  • Penumbra
  • Fire & Water
  • Ondine
  • Twisted Fate
aka Vanessa James

Sally Kinsey-Miles graduated from Girton College, Cambridge (MA in English Literature) She married Christopher Beauman an economist. After graduating, she moved with her husband to the USA, where she lived for three years, first in Washington DC, then New York, and travelled extensively. She began her career as a journalist in America, joining the staff of the newly launched New Y
More about Sally Beauman...

“That’s what the British do, you know. They accommodate, and then they assimilate. It’s very effective. It’s their way of disarming the opposition, and it works.” 0 likes