Start by marking “A Married Man” as Want to Read:
A Married Man

A Married Man

3.56 of 5 stars 3.56  ·  rating details  ·  612 ratings  ·  47 reviews
Widowed four years ago, London antiques dealer Lucy Fellowes was plunged into single motherhood with two growing boys. Since then, she’s had little time—or inclination—to think straight, much less fall in love again.

Now, she’s been offered an incredible dream house in the country. Of course, accepting means having to cope with her domineering mother-in-law, her husband’s
Published (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about A Married Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Married Man

Bit of a slow start, the whole book could have done with being slightly shorter but the second half of the book more than makes up for it. Lucy is the kind of character where you want to hold your head in your hands and say "did she just do that!? yes, yes she did". This book made me laugh out loud, and the plot does evolve throughout the book. It's not about 'A Married Man' as much as you think it would be, given the books title. One for chick-lit fans.
Edem Onofeghara
I actually liked this book. I chose it because of the title. I was curious to get another person's take on what it is that makes some women go for married men and what it is that makes some married men stray. At the end of the day, it's the same thing isn't it..people's selfish desires. Wanting what you can't have and making excuses for it. Still I found this single parent's attempts at conducting an affair to be so amusing.
Jun 04, 2008 Stephanie rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: chick lit readers, those who read Marian Keyes, those who read Sophie Kinsella
I really enjoy Alliot's work and I'm not sure how I found her! She writes chick lit, so it's not very "literary", but I enjoy her writing style immensely. She's english, so I'm predisposed to her style already, contemporary, humourous - if you are fan of Marian Keyes book, then you'll like it. I like her writing far better than Sophie Kinsella's books.
Entertaining chick lit about a young widow trying to rebuild her life; worthy of 3 1/2 stars due to some original plot twists.
I hated this book.
The characters are a parade of grossly exaggerated and at the same time shallow caricatures. We have manipulative Rose, lecherous Archie, gin swilling Lavinia, drippy Hector and a couple of batty aunts too, all acting in ways which are totally unrealistic. The plot too is totally implausible and at the same time contains huge inconsistencies. (Just try and work out how old Lucy is).
We are asked to believe that the intelligent Oxford-educated thirty-something Lucy with two youn
It's kind of hard to write anything about this book. Because I didn't hate it, there were parts I really liked, and found well written and interesting. But then there were parts were I was sooo annoyed by it, it made me almost drop the book and not torture myself anymore. My biggest problem with the book was ... I liked every other character more than the main character. I personally have to relate with the main character, feel sth. for her in order to truly get into a certain book. Here, mostly ...more
Interruptions from my life prevented me from reading this book as quickly as I wanted. Alliott is a skillful writer with more depth than the book jacket reflects. Populated by some eccentric/non-traditional characters, the “heroine,” a widow of four years and an antique dealer, drew me in and kept me rooting for her even when she disappointed me. I admired her honesty about the challenges of her loss, her loneliness, and raising two little boys. Her friends, a diverse group, whose support has su ...more
Although this book started out cute, the heroine quickly became irritating, with hardly one likeable thing about her. The dialogue seemed very self-consciously British, with words like"sodding" and"bloody" on every page. Lucy also seemed to have a terrible relationship with her children.
I would not even have finished this book, but I was on an airplane and it was the only thing I had.
I picked up this book at a thrift store, and intended to have it as a summer read due to its 567 page volume. Wrong, so wrong. I devoured it in two days, I couldn't tear myself away from it for more than a few hours. This book had everything to love from clever and witty laugh-out- loud moments to a perfectly romantic ending!
V.L. Locey
At first I was really enjoying the book. The humor was slapstick in places and quite funny. Then we got to the ending and it felt as if the author was rushed and threw together a rather iffy reasoning for the plot twists that just didn`t work. I had some real trouble with liking the leading lady as the book went on as well. Her penchant for running off to chase a married man and leaving her two sons alone didn`t sit well. And then after nearly losing the boys to Social Services ( or the equivila ...more
High marks for narration by Suzy Aitchison of this very British Chick Lit romance/mystery set in London and Oxfordshire.
Dawn Stanton
sweet and, loss, and the English countryside...and of course, a happy ending.
Jo Rothbaum
I thoroughly enjoyed this for a bit of beach head candy.

Lucy the widowed mother of two finds her mojo after 4 years of a bitter longing for her dead husband. The first part of the book seems all too predictable and I started to wish for it all to end then a twist and Alliot gets you by the short and curlies till you finish the book. Although a bit of a formula for Alliot the story was really funny and although I can't believe that a tiny blonde chick thinks she is so undesirable she muddles thro
Lisa Trup
Enjoyed this book thoroughly, obvious ending but very well done.
I allegedly read this. I recall nothing.
Lucy is a widow with 2 young boys. She moves to live with her crazy-rich in-laws who are a little on the odd side, the mother-in-law a complete control freak. Every chapter ends with the beginning of something else, so if you like to sit down to read thinking "I'll just read until chapter 3", then find a new strategy because you'll be itching for more at the end of each chapter!
Probably one of the best books I've ever read.
I laughed out loud at points throughout this book at some of Lucy's travails. It was a good read, but unfortunately, the last part of the book just didn't capture my attention anymore. I can't say exactly why...maybe the plot line just didn't seem plausible anymore. The ending just seemed rushed, like the author was trying to come to a good conclusion quickly. That's the only reason I didn't give it four stars. All in all, a good book, with some characters you felt you really could sit and enjoy ...more
Lucy Fellowes is a widow she has 2 children and when she has the offer
from her in-laws to move from London to Chandlers Barn in Oxfordshire,
she jumps at the chance, things have been hard for her money has been
tight, they also offer to pay for Ben and Max’s education. She can see
Charlie Fletcher he is very good looking and gets her pulse racing,
however there is a small problem what can it be?
I quite enjoyed this book it was a bit sad at times, and a bit slow, an
Ok read.

Freda Larimer
I liked parts of this book
Emma Long
Really enjoyed this book.
Emma Ingram
Really enjoyed this book was hooked from the first word.
Cynthia Conley
Catherine Alliott writes excellent fast-paced farcical stories - the characters were complete horror stereotypes of upper class folk, but there was a serious twist to the end of it which made it both funny and shocking at the same time. OK, so it isn't going to win any prizes for originality or great literature, but I liked it!
It was a good read until she started leaving her kids everyday with a nanny, chasing after the married man. And, then even after she has a near miss of having her kids taken from her by CPS, she turns right around and leaves them again to chase after another man. Kind of turned me off the character at that point.
This author is one of my favorites. I love all her books that I've read. I really like this one too.

There are some really big twists in the book, many of which u don't expect at all. Some sad stuff happens, but there's quite a happy ending. :) Really great book! Highly recommended
Debbie Mortimer
Very entertaining read. Nice sometimes to read a bit of chick lit. Storyline bit predictable in places but nevertheless a good escapism read.

A nice enough story, a few to many characters and unbelievable twists. The main character is very all or nothing in her decisions
Rachel Brand
Mar 23, 2009 Rachel Brand rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Rachel by: Mum
I remember enjoying this but definitely not as much as I enjoyed 'Olivia's Luck.' Probably my least favourite of Alliott's novels.
The Cats Mother
This is great chick-lit, non-demanding, not too predictable and with a happy ending - perfect for a rainy day.
Stopped at chapter 11. Couldn't finish it. Something about it.....just too complicated to read on.
  • Come Again (Jack & Amy, #2)
  • Did the Earth Move?
  • Looking for Andrew McCarthy
  • Simply Divine
  • Die Braut sagt leider nein
  • Gossip
  • Romeo and 2 Juliets (Sweet Valley Twins #84)
  • Love and Devotion
  • The Gap Year For Grown Ups
  • Seven Sunny Days
  • Once upon a Christmas
Catherine Alliott was born and raised in Hertfordshire. After graduating from Warwick university she moved to London, where she worked as a copywriter in advertising. She now lives with her husband, a barrister, and their three children.
More about Catherine Alliott...
A Crowded Marriage The Secret Life Of Evie Hamilton A Rural Affair Olivia's Luck The Old Girl Network