Start by marking “Sparkles” as Want to Read:
Sparkles

Sparkles

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  1,002 ratings  ·  94 reviews
Crossing decades and continents, 'Sparkles' is the totally compelling story of the Massot family. Fabulously wealthy, internationally adored, the Massots own one of the last great aristocratic jewellery firms in Paris.
Published August 1st 2007 by Headline Review (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Sparkles, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sparkles

Kari
I've read some reviews here, and have to disagree with most of them. I found this book a thrilling, emotional ride. I was iffy at first about the story, but I absolutly loved it. It is very descriptive, but I find that it adds to the atmosphere that Bagshawe has created. I found myself feeling everything the characters did, which is what I consider the mark of a good book. It made me smile, I honestly found myself grinning like a fool at some parts. I can see how some people would dislike this b...more
Redfox5
Loved this as much as the first time round. Very enjoyable. Loved Sophie the whole way through. I think the twist is very good tho I knew it was coming this time round but it totally got me the first time I read it! It says that Louise Bagshawe has some of her books turned into movies! I think I'm going to have to look them up :) I brought this book by accident. I was ment to buy a book by Tilly Bagshawe but got confushed with the names and got this one instead and I'm glad I did :)
Dark-Draco
Wow - I am absolutely amazed at how much I enjoyed this book, as I usually shy away from 'chic-lit'. But this has an amazing twist towards the end that actually made me gasp aloud.

It's the story of the Massot family. Pierre Massot, entrepenaurial jeweller, disappears, leaving a wife and child behind. Seven years later, Sophie Massot declares him dead and takes an interest in the firm, finding out that not everything is as right as it should be. Fighting the unwanted attentions of the stand-in Di...more
La Petite Américaine
May 22, 2007 La Petite Américaine rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: meh ... stupid people? :)
Shelves: frenchie_stuff
So I picked this up in America because I wanted to read about Europe (France, in particular) while I was there. What can I say? Euro-trash soap opera sums it up nicely. This is yet another 500-pager that left me wondering why it wasn't cut down to a nice, clean 250 pages. Cut out the numerous food descriptions, the over-done, unnecessary, and dry descriptions of the character's clothes and jewels, and you're halfway there.

The first 200 pages were dull, but I kept reading for the simple reason...more
Lauren
I thought this was a good book. I was given this book to read by my sister, but it's not my usual genre as I am more into trashy romance novels. But this book surprised me. It was a bit heavy on the descriptions, especially for someone who doesn't know what a Chanel suit looks like, or the names or colors of precious gems, or what the complex food dishes were. However, this did not ruin the book for me. I actually thought the book had a great plot line, and it completely shocked me in the end, b...more
Michelle
This book interested me because of the whole jewelry and gem stone side to it. Once I pick up a book, unless it's totally awful, I usually finish it even if I'm not all that thrilled with it. This is one of those not so thrilled but had to finish books. It was typical and predictable.
Mekerei
Sparkles is chick lit.

"The glittering fortunes of the Massot family, vastly wealthy owners of Paris's greatest jewellery firm, were plunged into confusion seven years ago by the disappearance of Pierre Massot, its charismatic, secretive head. Now his beautiful young widow Sophie has decided she and her son Tom - and the firm - must move on to survive. But their enemies have other ideas and a trail of scandal is waiting to be uncovered... What really happened to Pierre? And what was the family se...more
Melinda (The Book Musings)
“Judge a book by its cover and you’ll never know the story”.

I remember this line from one of Celine Dion’s songs and thought it applicable to start off my review on Sparkles by Louise Bagshawe. Judging by the cover of the book you would think it’s a teeny bopper novel, which it is not. Some may find it a slightly shallow read, I who normally read books from what people call ‘serious authors’, would describe it as my guilty pleasure.

This book I found a pleasure to read. Reasons being: It doesn’t...more
Erica
I was initially going to give this book three stars, because I didn't like any of the main characters until about three quarters through the book. From then on as things started to resolve it got much better, but I'm not going up to five stars exactly because of that issue.
The main (and mostly absent) presence in the book is Pierre Massot, head of a Parisian jewellery emporium, womaniser and all-round arsehole. Then there is his wife Sophie, his son Thomas, his mistress Judy and the main executi...more
Wendy
May 17, 2008 Wendy rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people looking for practice editing others' work
Tanya
Fun high-drama escapism. This reminded me a lot of the mid- to late-80's novels that were very much products of the decade: high glamour, big money, full of scandal and intrigue. Think Jackie Collins and Sidney Sheldon. Taken for what it is, it's a delicious piece of brain candy. :)

Sophie is the dutiful wife of Pierre Massot, the immensely wealthy and successful mastermind behind House Massot jewelers (think Tiffany's). Seven years after his sudden and unexplained disappearance, Sophie has Pier...more
Barbra
This is one of the 'beach blockbusters' that you can pick up and put down but I'll guarantee you won't be able to put it down. Full of action, passion, betrayal and ultra-glam.

Back Cover Blurb:
The glittering fortunes of the Massot family, vastly wealthy owners of Paris's greatest jewellery firm, were plunged into confustion seven years ago by the disappearance of Pierre Massot, its charismatic, secretive head. Now his beautiful young widow Sophie has decided she and her son Tom - and the firm -...more
Ket Lamb
Revenge is sweet in this light page-turner about the rise and fall of a famous French jewelry firm, Massot. If you enjoy the glitz and glamor of Paris and London, coupled with romance, this is a fun vacation read. Back in the 90s, I met the author over lunch in London, through a friend of a friend, when she had just published her first book, so I was surprised when an old high school mate of mine happened to pass this along. Bagshawe's bestsellers were hard to come buy in the States when she sta...more
Anna
Mar 31, 2008 Anna rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: julie
Recommended to Anna by: Julie
My first Louise Bagshawe novel & it's not bad for chick lit. There's plenty of twists to keep you interested, with a dramatic ending. I can picture it as a tv mini series actually.

Synopsis
Crossing decades and continents, SPARKLES is the totally compelling story of the Massot family. Fabulously wealthy, internationally adored, the Massots own one of the last great aristocratic jewellery firms in Paris. But where is its owner Pierre, missing presumed dead for 15 years? And what will happen to...more
MissNorth
I do not not usually indulge myself in books like this, but WOW. I had a great time reading this! It was laugh-out-loud funny, provocative, flirtatious, mysterious and thoroughly enjoyable!
Definitely something fun to read on a rainy day. ;)
Marialena
Loved it! A page turner and super fun summer read!
Alexis
May 15, 2008 Alexis rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Young women looking for a summer read
Recommended to Alexis by: Found it by chance
I have read this book many times, it is an enjoyable (if somewhat fluffy) beach-read. I cannot put this book down whenever I am reading it, regardless of reading it previously. Bagshawe does a good job with plot, characters and she paints a really lovely picture of the Jewelery industry. The continuous descriptions of beautiful jewels, beautiful people, and beautiful Parisian society make the book a whimsical, dreamy read.

The Good: Plot-Pure escapism! Captivates again and again.

The Bad: There is...more
Azura Chan
I enjoyed reading this book. It reminds me of reading Sidney Sheldon's book. It's about wealth, family, power and love. This book is really a page turner.
Lainy
I started off thinking this wasn't going to be a great read. It was a lot about jewellery (the family business) and it seemed to go on and nothing much really happening. It started picking up and even though the story was seemingly going through the motions I wanting to keep going and find out what was happening and how the deceit would come to light.

It was the last few chapters that swung it for me. It went from being interesting to being a page turner and quite thrilling. A really good read in...more
Angie Arcand
This book was so good!!! Many, many twists and is exciting to the last page!
Rebecca
this was a very long epic chick-lit novel. pretty much goes around a family of a jewelery empire (like tiffany's) and shit that happens. the husband dissapears and mayhem ensues. another story is interwined with the main story and you spend the whole book trying to figure out who they are talking about and it gets all creepy at the end. i figured it out like 3 pages before it was revealed, but still was shocked at the same time. it was too long for the payout, as it usually is in books like this...more
Lynnie
This book took a while to finish. I gave it 2 stars because all except maybe two of the characters were a bit annoying, there was a a backstory woven into it that left you confused until the last 1/4 of the book, and the first half was pretty slow.

However, the two stars are for how it wrapped up. The backstory eventually links in in a way that completely throws you off and gives the end a thrilling twist. If the rest of the book had been as eventful as the end, I would have rated it much higher...more
ShyStar
Sparkles is one of my favourite books by Louise Bagshawe. I personally enjoy books that suprise me and go into a storyline that i cant predict, Louise Bagshawe has done just that. The ending was not what i expected and so after reading the book the storyline kept running through my mind as i was flabbergasted at how such a storline was possible without me guessing such an ending. Therefore, I advise people to read this book if they would like to be pleasantly suprised!
Tong
This book was far from great but it was an absolutely addictive page turner. Sparkles is very hard to classify; part russian-epic, part modern day romance the book never really gelled as a cohesive story. It's attempt at bridging the gap between these disparate stories (in a crazy although not surprising ending) was so bizarre, I finally had put it down and say "okay, that was stupid". But if you want a quick beach read, I do recommend it for entertainment value.
Elle Canales
As far as chick-lit goes, this is by far the best I've ever read. About a woman coming into her own and figuring out a way to shed her past successfully, it's emotional, fun, a little of what's inside every woman and a little of what most women want.... A relatable fairy tale. Definitely worth the read.
Liz
Sparkles wasn't quite as intense as I had expected from the jacket cover but it was good. I think I learned more about fashion and jewelry than the author intended but...it is good to get something out of a novel. Anyway, it is a good read and worth a look if you need a sort of mindless novel. i was sick this week and therefore able to read 300 pages of the book pretty quickly. Give it a shot if you need an escape.
Teresa
This is fun choice for beach reading. The plot is full of players from the highest and lowest points in life, and the most fun is had of the ones in extreme high society. There's money and sex and jewels--what fun! This is not deep intrigue, although there is a nice plot to follow. It's just good summer fun that will take you through a number of visits to the water.
Pumpkinic
I pinched this book from the hotel library so I could finish it. It's a journey to find the truth about family, loyalty and truth. Thinking back at it, it sort of reminds me of Tess of the Dubervilles. The cold, solid setting of the book and the natures of the characters is the stereotypical presentation of the town; aristocracy.
Anna
Meh.

Some of her early books (e.g. Venus Envy) were solid, comic, escapist nonsense. Her later ones are formulaic and she's continued to write for an audience which is in its early 20s, while her interests have changed. It doesn't feel even vaguely convincing anymore.

I won't be reading another of her books.
Nina
Ide ceritanya bagus, dan ada kejutan yang lumayan mengagetkan.
Tapi, alur ceritanya gw rasa terlalu lompat-lompat. Sehingga, susah untuk merasa benar-benar menghayati ceritanya. Love scenes-nya nanggung, dan ceritanya sama sekali nggak menyentuh. Perubahan karakter Thomas Massot agak nggak masuk akal.
  • Flawless
  • Gold Diggers
  • Stand by Me
  • Restoring Grace
  • Two's Company
  • The Celebrity Shopper (Annie Valentine, #4)
  • Honey Trap
  • Forbidden Places
  • Gossip Hound
Louise Daphne Bagshawe was born on 28 June 1971 in England, UK. She attended local all-girls Catholic schools near her family home in Surrey, before going to Oxford University in 1989. After graduating with a degree in Anglo Saxon and Norse, she worked as press officer with EMI records and then as a marketing official with Sony Music. On her 22nd birthday, her passion for writing was realised with...more
More about Louise Bagshawe...
Glamour Tuesday's Child Glitz Passion The Devil You Know