Start by marking “Lyndon Johnson's War: America's Cold War Crusade in Vietnam, 1945-1968” as Want to Read:
Lyndon Johnson's War: America's Cold War Crusade in Vietnam, 1945-1968

Lyndon Johnson's War: America's Cold War Crusade in Vietnam, 1945-1968 (Critical Issue)

The Hill and Wang Critical Issues Series: concise, affordable works on pivotal topics in American history, society, and politics.

Using newly available documents from both American and Vietnamese archives, Hunt reinterprets the values, choices, misconceptions, and miscalculations that shaped the long process of American intervention in Southeast Asia, and renders more compr
Published August 30th 1997 by Hill and Wang (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Lyndon Johnson's War, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lyndon Johnson's War

MerryMeerkat
Jan 06, 2015 MerryMeerkat rated it really liked it

4 Stars

Netgalley review.

First Impression: Groan. I hate it when the copy is an advance, uncorrected digital copy and the images are all messed up. But I’m dying to read this as a book for my son so I will give it a chance.

Plot/Storyline: Based on a Creek Indian Story

I’m not going to rate the art work as it was obvious it was a work in progress and still needed a lot of work. But the story is really cute and is a nice story. I just wish I could have seen a better copy to review.

Brian
readable, concise, engaging and thoughtful analysis of the decisions, history and actions leading up to the vietnam war. i was particularly struck by the sections describing lbj's thinking. typically he's skewered on vietnam, and this book doesn't let him off the hook, but does provide much context that lbj wasn't acting in a vacuum, the history leading up to vietnam, the public support or indifference at the beginning of the war, the recommendations from most of his staff/advisers to pursue war ...more
P
Oct 04, 2013 P rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was assigned reading for my college undergraduate class on Cold War History. Active participation in a study group made reading it unnecessary then (didn't have time). Taking a second look at this monograph now.

Recent history, but incredibly interesting for 20th Century junkies like myself. First half of the book is the lead up to LBJ taking the reins. Second half describes that slippery slope into the quagmire. Should be read in conjunction with other historical works on the subject as it
Mindy
Jul 05, 2015 Mindy rated it really liked it
yep, I was that person who went to Vietnam and read a book about the war so I knew why there were so many Communist flags flying high. Great book to give you the tale of this unfortunate war. Written before 2001, it sounds surprisingly familiar for those of us who watched other politicians go down the wrong path for the sake of saving face and American confidence.
Tonya
Jun 29, 2010 Tonya rated it liked it
This is my second read of this book. The first was back in 2004. I like it slightly less this time because I have questions about some of the footnoting and some of the facts seem somewhat skewed based on my other reading.

But, overall, I like the book. I enjoyed Karnow's much more but I realize this is a more scholarly work that looks to illustrate the war as the fault of LBJ. While it could be construed as mildly biased, Hunt does acknowledge many of the problems that LBJ faced. And, he is righ
Sep 14, 2008 Laura rated it really liked it
Growing up in the NC public schools, I never learned anything about Vietnam at all. What I knew I learned from The Wonder Years and Forrest Gump. This book is a well written, clear and concise primer of the conflict for those who aren't in the know.
Mike
Good overview of the stamp LBJ put on Vietnam, and its corresponding effects on him and his Presidency. Recommended to read in conjunction with other works on the broader conflict.
Amber
Dec 13, 2012 Amber rated it liked it
This book is a great monograph for the college beginner. The authors argument is easily found throughout the book however it one can easily argue against him.
Nataliya Pekar
Apr 22, 2012 Nataliya Pekar rated it liked it
Good and detailed account of the Vietnam war and Lyndon Johnson's participation and motives.
Paul Medici
Informative. This war destroyed him.
Anne-marie Coonan
Oct 28, 2008 Anne-marie Coonan rated it really liked it
Great overview of the Vietnam war.
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2016
James Hammond
James Hammond rated it really liked it
Sep 12, 2016
Alana King
Alana King rated it really liked it
Aug 14, 2016
Julia
Julia added it
May 31, 2016
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
May 27, 2016
Jerome
Jerome marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2016
Anand Pratap
Anand Pratap rated it really liked it
Apr 09, 2016
John
John marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2016
Broc Christian
Broc Christian rated it liked it
Mar 11, 2016
Monica
Monica rated it it was amazing
Feb 05, 2016
Dwight Walker
Dwight Walker marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2016
Norah
Norah marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2015
Rebecca
Rebecca rated it liked it
Oct 25, 2015
Whitney Hughes
Whitney Hughes marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2015
Lucy Benson
Lucy Benson marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2015
Julia Stanton
Julia Stanton rated it liked it
Jun 27, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »

Critical Issue (10 books)
  • The Long, Bitter Trail: Andrew Jackson and the Indians
  • Prisoners Without Trial: Japanese Americans in World War II
  • The Green Revolution: The Environmental Movement 1962-1992
  • The Specter of Communism: The United States and the Origins of the Cold War, 1917-1953
  • Manifest Destiny: American Expansion and the Empire of Right