Start by marking “Meditations in an Emergency” as Want to Read:
Meditations in an Emergency

Meditations in an Emergency

4.23 of 5 stars 4.23  ·  rating details  ·  1,400 ratings  ·  113 reviews
Frank O’Hara was one of the great poets of the twentieth century and, along with such widely acclaimed writers as Denise Levertov, Allen Ginsberg, Robert Creeley, and Gary Snyder, a crucial contributor to what Donald Allen termed the New American Poetry, "which, by its vitality alone, became the dominant force in the American poetic tradition.”

Frank O’Hara was born in Balt
Published April 1st 1996 by Grove Press (first published 1957)

To ask other readers questions about Meditations in an Emergency, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Meditations in an Emergency

The Best of Everything by Rona JaffeAtlas Shrugged by Ayn RandMeditations in an Emergency by Frank O'HaraThe Sound and the Fury by William Faulkner�die� ganze Welt von Mad Men [Ein Offizielles Mad Men Buch] by Dyna Moe
Mad Men-Leseliste
3rd out of 22 books — 11 voters
On the Road by Jack KerouacHowl and Other Poems by Allen GinsbergThe Dharma Bums by Jack KerouacJunky by William S. BurroughsNaked Lunch by William S. Burroughs
Beat Lit
58th out of 153 books — 121 voters

More lists with this book...

Bill  Kerwin

In the second season of Madmen, Don Draper, awash in the chaos of his own identity, recites these lines from "Mayakovsky," the last poem in this book:

Now I am quietly waiting for
the catastrophe of my personality
to seem beautiful again,
and interesting, and modern.

Frank O'Hara's poetry does not have to wait--quietly or otherwise. It is always beautiful and interesting. And, sixty years later, it still seems modern too.

Most 20th Century verse lovers, if asked what midcentury poet inherited the lega
Christian Clarke
Modern poetry is for advanced people. If you're not advanced, put this slim volume of "fractured", "delicate", "touched" poems down. These are not for you. You best stick with your "prose."

Try this as a test: "That's funny! there's blood on my chest/oh yes, I've been carrying bricks/what a funny place to rupture!/and now it is raining on the ailanthus/as I step out onto the window ledge/the tracks are smoky and/glistening with a passion for running/I leap into leaves, green like the sea."

See w
General H. Sassafras
I don't read poetry too terribly often, and the primary reason I even KNEW of this particular book was from the show Mad Men. So sue me. I'd bet most people who've recently read it have the same exact reason.

Anyway

Each poem has a particular flare of pure 1960's energy. Having studied that era in relative detail, I still can't quite put my finger on what exactly tickles my fancy about it... There's a definite sense of ambivalence that occasionally lingers on the precipice of depression mixed with
Frankie
Of all the New York School brats, from Beat Gen to Greenwich Village, O’Hara is my favorite. He was a curator at MOMA and his poetry shows a visual style that the others lack. He incorporates pop culture, especially Hollywood celebrities. He's subtle. He conveys dark humor without shouting, a la Ginsburg. His chief concern is the middle class identity crisis. His works are daydream-like and sometimes-alcoholic trances with flickering stars of screen and stage.

O’Hara’s world is less polished but
Jacob
"I can’t even enjoy a blade of grass unless I know there’s a subway handy, or a record store or some other sign that people do not totally regret life."

Still the best introduction to O'Hara. the Collected Works is very disorganized and inaccessible to newcomers and Selected Poems just doesn't have the flow of O'Hara's original publications, of which Meditations is certainly the finest. O'Hara's signature pop culture lightness just cascades from page to page, even the more unassuming poems feed i
Kelly
"To the Harbormaster, my ship was on the way, it got caught up in some moorings...'Call me, call when you get in!'...at best an over-solemn introduction to cosmic entertainment...long may you illumine space with your marvellous appearances, delays...

We, in secret play
affectionate games and bruise
our knees like China's shoes

And thus they grew like giggling fir trees...Haven't you ever fallen down at Christmas?...placing my fingers tenderly upon your cold, tired eyes. There is a geography which ho
Tosh
I had to go to Downtown Los Angeles yesterday for a new passport photograph, and needing something to read on the bus to go back home, I went to the library. I picked up Frank O'Hara's "Meditations in an Emergency." Due to the nature of bus riding, I prefer reading poetry, because it is the perfect medium for a public transportation ride. O'Hara has been a long-time fave of mine, and oddly enough I never read this volume of poems by him. I mostly read collected or selected poem collections, and ...more
Beth
Sep 24, 2010 Beth rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Beth by: Don Draper :)
"Why should I share you? Why don't you get rid of someone else for a change?

"I am the least difficult of men. All I want is boundless love."

How can you not, at the very least, give an extra moment's pause to enjoy the beauty and raw emotion of those lines?

Kevin Albrecht
Mar 21, 2009 Kevin Albrecht rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans of free verse poetry
Recommended to Kevin by: Don Draper on Mad Men
Shelves: poetry
With the completion of Meditations in an Emergency, I have read both collections of poetry that Frank O'Hara had published during his lifetime. Compared to Lunch Poems, Meditations in an Emergency reflects in some ways a more formal style.

My favorite poems in the collection were "To the Harbormaster", "Poem (The eager note on my door...)", "Meditations in an Emergency", and "Mayakovsky".

His work is alternately funny and sad. Some poems are highly introspective while others are focused on the liv
Albert
Jun 03, 2009 Albert added it
Shelves: friendly-borrow
There are exactly 115 exclamation points in this collection (114 if you don't count an epigraph). Here are all of them:

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Trin
<------------------------This book------------------------->

<-------------------------My head-------------------------->
britany
mayakovsky is the one thing that keeps me from loathing/abhorring poetry in general.
Shana
I am one of the many people who picked up this collection of poetry because Don Draper was reading it at a bar in Mad Men, in an episode named after it. I have read through it a few times now and find myself drawn to certain passages and bored/untouched by others. O'Hara worked as a critic and a curator at MOMA during the height of the abstract-expressionist period, and there seems to be a bit of that way of thinking in his poetry: emotional, idiosyncratic, and littered with unanswered questions ...more
Julia
i really liked frank o'hara in i think ninth grade, or maybe it was tenth. whenever i read lunch poems.* i will probably bring lunch poems with me to college. the cover of meditations in an emergency is terrible, embarrassing, but i was tired of waiting for a nicer edition to come to me. frank o'hara uses "green" really well in emotional situations, and also exclamation points. he is the only writer whose exclamation points i can stand, maybe. there's a lot of barely-not-really-self-contained en ...more
Lucy
I found some of the poems a little intense to read late at night, but I absolutely loved "Meditations in an Emergency" and a few of the later pieces in my edition. "Mayakovksy" was also the reason why I bought the collection in the first place. To me, the sign of a great poem is not struggling over it, but rather feeling completely drawn in by words that seem nothing less than personal. Certainly a text I'll return to again and again.
Steve
A "Mad Men" read, straight from the bookshelves of Donald Draper. Not bad, though the collection is a bit front-loaded, with the best poem, To the Harbormaster, being the first. The collection also lost some zing for me when I stopped to read some poems by the relatively unknown Edgar Bowers. Bowers' poems are considerably better. It was like whipped cream vs. heavy fiber. Still, this is a collection worth reading.
Matthew
Not really a "star-rating" type of book - I'm not sure poetry collections should be (I've just started reading poetry, so, early impression).
Not every poem here stunned me, but there are enough stunners to make me love the collection. It also lead me to some YouTube videos of O'Hara reading his work, and a very nice one, about 15-minutes, of him talking and reading. I also love Frank O'Hara now, and found myself sad at his early death.

I think the "misses" here, the poems that don't do much for m
Joe
Jul 19, 2009 Joe rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2008, poetry
Read the title poem and you will be hooked. It's not just a plot point in Mad Men, it's also a masterpiece.
Joanna
Yep, I read it because of Don Draper.
Matthew
Am I to become profligate as if I were a blonde? Or religious as if I were French?

Each time my heart is broken it makes me feel more adventurous (and how the same names keep recurring on that interminable list!), but one of these days there’ll be nothing left with which to venture forth.

Why should I share you? Why don’t you get rid of someone else for a change?

I am the least difficult of men. All I want is boundless love.

Even trees understand me! Good heavens, I lie under them, too, don’
Erin Boyington
I first learned to love poetry in college when I had a marvelous professor (whose voice I still hear when I read T.S. Eliot or W.B. Yeats). But since then I've fallen away from even my favorite poets, short of time and focus. Lyric poetry in particular takes time to read, reread, and savor. If books are like dishes of food, lyric poetry is like a particularly rich, dark chocolate truffle. You can't eat it all at once. "Truffle poems" are ones I've reread a dozens of times, poems that always surp ...more
Joseph
Count me in amongst the many who picked this book up after it was featured in the second season of Mad Men. I read it, but I didn't really feel like I'd read it, so I left it sitting in my "currently reading" list. For three years.

To be honest, I like a little more structure in my poetry, but O'Hara's messiness is certainly appropriate. These are poems of striving, of moving forward, and for that, there's no time for stopping to adjust meter and rhyme scheme.

He's a little ambivalent about tone,
Amy
Jan 08, 2013 Amy rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: poetry
This is not at all my poetry style, so at points I really couldn't penetrate it. However, there were these I guess "moments of clarity:" "To the Harbormaster," "Meditations in an Emergency," "Sleeping on the Wing," "Mayakovsky."

I did not get a lot of the references, they just did not mean anything to me.

What struck me:

"obvious as an ear"

"who taught me/ how to be bad and not bad rather than good"

"Haven't you ever fallen down at Christmas/ and didn't it move everyone who saw you?"

"nightfulness"

"Th
Brendan
I guess I'm not buying the hype.

"On Rachmaninoff's Birthday" and "Radio" are worth noting.

Let's write long letters on grand themes,
fish sandwiches, egg sandwiches and cheese;
or travelling in Mexico, Italy and Australia.
- "Two Variations"

It is easy to be beautiful; it is difficult to appear so. - "Meditations in an Emergency"
Alex
Encarna Castillo
Frank O'Hara perteneció a la llamada "Escuela de Nueva York", grupo formado sobre todo por poetas y pintores de la década de los 50 y 60. En poesía, O'Hara valoraba sobre todo el "nerviosismo" lírico, por encima de la rima y del verso. La gran protagonista de su poesía es la ciudad de Nueva York, el deambular de sus gentes por ella y su propio día a día en esta ciudad.
O'Hara murió joven, en un absurdo accidente con un coche, cerca del mar, por lo que su obra es escasa y, sin embargo, influyente.
Jake
May 06, 2011 Jake rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: poetry
I think I only understood 50% of O'Hara's "Lunch Poems," and I managed to understand waaaay less in this collection. But I...can't...quite...stop reading Frank O'Hara. I'll smile at the end of one of his poems, and if somebody asked me what it was about, I'd probably just keep grinning stupidly and tell them, "I don't know."

Maybe it's because O'Hara really does write poems with an upbeat rhythm. He has tremendously good lines here and there, but a lot of it is either dated or inaccessible for me
Jan Martinek
„It is easy to be beautiful; it is difficult to appear so.“

I'm probably going to continue reading these again and again for some time…
Adam
One of the great 20th century books of poetry. Deserves some notice for its formal qualities, but, perhaps to its credit, O'Hara's poetry really hits at the gut level. It is beautiful, melancholy, funny, and deeply human; intellectual, but not straining after intellect, sad but not mopey, fairly unconventional but tastefully restrained.

The finest poems here are "For James Dean," "Meditations in an Emergency," "Mayakovsky," and "For Grace, After a Party."

" Now I am quietly waiting for
the catas
Jonathan
Read this on my friend Don's recommendation. Can't claim to understand what the fuck's going on at certain points, but many stanzas are washes of such serene beauty -- e.g.:

Perhaps it is to avoid some great sadness,
as in a Restoration tragedy the hero cries "Sleep!"
O for a long sound sleep and so forget it!"
that one flies, soaring above the shoreless city,
veering upward from the pavement as a pigeon
does when a car honks or a door slams, the door
of dreams, life perpetuated in parti-colored loves
a
  • The Tunnel: Selected Poems
  • Winter Stars
  • Selected Poems
  • Geography III
Frank O'Hara was born in Baltimore, Maryland and grew up in Grafton, Massachusetts. O'Hara served in the South Pacific and Japan as a sonarman on the destroyer USS Nicholas during World War II.

With the funding made available to veterans he attended Harvard University, where he roomed with artist/writer Edward Gorey. Although he majored in music and did some composing, his attendance was irregular
More about Frank O'Hara...
Lunch Poems The Collected Poems of Frank O'Hara Selected Poems Poems Retrieved In Memory Of My Feelings

“Now I am quietly waiting for the catastrophe of my personality to seem beautiful again, and interesting, and modern.” 300 likes
“My eyes are vague blue, like the sky, and change all the time; they are indiscriminate but fleeting, entirely specific and disloyal, so that no one trusts me. I am always looking away. Or again at something after it has given me up.” 137 likes