Start by marking “Beyond Knowing: Mysteries and Messages of Death and Life from a Forensic Pathologist” as Want to Read:

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  118 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Working as a medical examiner, Dr. Janis Amatuzio has found that by listening and talking to loved ones of the deceased, she can offer them a sense of closure. In doing so, she has heard — and here retells — extraordinary stories of spiritual and otherworldly events surrounding the transition between life and death.

As in her first book, Forever Ours , Dr. Amatuzio presents
Published September 7th 2006 by New World Library

To ask other readers questions about Beyond Knowing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beyond Knowing

Sandy
This was a well written, beautiful book about the way some people have connected with loved ones, after they pass on. Very inspiring.

FAVORITE QUOTE FROM BOOK: "It's the loneliness for people, places, and times that no longer exist, except in my mind."
Kristin
I enjoy reading books about forensic pathology and was in the mood for such a book today. Unfortunately, while the book was good, it wasn't exactly what I had in mind. Dr. Amatuzio is a forensic pathologist in Minnesota with a quarter-century of experience, so I was expecting a recollection of some of her most memorable cases that fit the 'mysteries and messages' portion of the title, and it was. However, most of these recollections come from discussions she had with friends, family, and strange ...more
Tami
A while back, I enjoyed Forever Ours. This book was an exploration into death. The author, a forensic pathologist, had been encouraged in her profession to be objective and somewhat cold about process. However, her personal experiences taught her otherwise. Far too often people came to her with stories of messages from beyond the grave or premonitions that happened to come true. In this first book, the author essentially wanted to see if these stories had any truth and if she could prove existen ...more
Trish
I loved this book. I already believed there was life after death, but then I got to sit with my dad while he passed away. There were some great moments when we know he was seeing those that had passed before him. This book just helped me understand that others have those stories too from their loved ones! I don't know how you could read these stories and not believe there's a God, someone in control of all of this mess we call life! I am so glad there is!
Erin
This book was not what I expected, but in the end I still liked it. A little too much about medical school and how she ended up in forensic pathology. She retells experiences that loved ones of her 'patients' have told her, and the stories are very moving. If you ever find yourself doubting that there is more to come after death, flip through this book.
Laurie
You are more than you know, and you are more than your body. Care for all aspects of yourself. Care for all others as well. Be care-full. Be generous and humble. What you do for another you do for yourself. Remember who you really are: one made in the image and likeness of God, woven from the immortal threads of Forever. Have no fear. Be well.
Jackie
A medical examiner reflects on her career and her interactions with patients, family members, physicians, and nurses. I loved the pathology aspects of this book, but found many of the anecdotes sad and difficult to get through. One response to a patient's death particularly resonated: "She might have had cancer, but she was doing fine."
Deb
Okay book. A more interesting look at death and dying from someone who does this on a daily basis. Tries to give us a sense of the fact that life goes on after death and even a tragic death of a prostitute or drug dealer is a loss of life. We need to trust in God in the end.
Susan Fetterer
I heard the author speak and couldn't wait to read her book. It didn't disappoint! the stories were intriguing and altho' I found myself thinking of death way too much, there was a reassuring aspect to the situations she experienced through her work. Fascinating.
Katie
This won't be for everyone but I have really liked both of her books! It's not a "light" topic so read them when you are in the mood to think and shed a few tears.
Rob
weird when a scientist who operates under the scientific method, describes paranormal experiences with dead patients and their families.
susanlsimon Simon
Sep 08, 2007 susanlsimon Simon rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone
Good book but not quite as good as her first. If you enjoy Forever Ours you will like tis one too.
Diana Quinn
This book was a fair read. More about the life of the Coroner than the afterlife.
Carol
Really fascinating and affirms my own beliefs in life after death. A wonderful book.
Lea
Sep 11, 2008 Lea rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
I like thinking about death as a part of life. Dr. Amatuzio writes a compelling story.
Don
A continuation of "Forever Ours" with a bit more background about the author.
Mary
A very interesting read about a doctor's experiences with death.
Jill Stadtmueller
fascinating book....
Karen Fiedler
Karen Fiedler is currently reading it
Mar 28, 2015
Danielle
Danielle marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2015
Ellen
Ellen marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2015
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2015
Carsa Spaude
Carsa Spaude is currently reading it
Mar 04, 2015
Tracy
Tracy marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • I Want to Be Left Behind: Finding Rapture Here on Earth
  • The Virgin of Bennington
  • White Bears and Other Unwanted Thoughts: Suppression, Obsession, and the Psychology of Mental Control
  • Speaking Truth to Power
  • The Meaning of Trees: Botany - History - Healing - Lore
  • Holy Silence: The Gift of Quaker Spirituality
  • Standing in the Light: My Life as a Pantheist
  • The Last Days of Dead Celebrities
  • The Map Across Time (The Gates of Heaven, #2)
  • A Mind Apart: Travels in a Neurodiverse World
  • How to Be a Perfect Stranger: The Essential Religious Etiquette Handbook
  • Pagan Visions for a Sustainable Future
  • The Great Work: Our Way into the Future
  • My Teenage Werewolf: A Mother, a Daughter, a Journey Through the Thicket of Adolescence
  • Open Secrets
  • Bookworm
  • Emotionally Wounded Spiritually Strong: Victim No More-Seven Healing Prescriptions
  • Rewind Replay Repeat: A Memoir of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
Forever Ours: Real Stories of Immortality and Living from a Forensic Pathologist