Start by marking “Beyond Knowing: Mysteries and Messages of Death and Life from a Forensic Pathologist” as Want to Read:

3.85  ·  Rating Details  ·  143 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
Working as a medical examiner, Dr. Janis Amatuzio has found that by listening and talking to loved ones of the deceased, she can offer them a sense of closure. In doing so, she has heard — and here retells — extraordinary stories of spiritual and otherworldly events surrounding the transition between life and death.

As in her first book, Forever Ours , Dr. Amatuzio presents
Published September 7th 2006 by New World Library

To ask other readers questions about Beyond Knowing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beyond Knowing

Homira
Aug 23, 2015 Homira rated it did not like it
I found this book incredibly irritating. Based on the reviews, I was hoping for a beautifully written, insightful and yet scientific also analysis of the last moments of life, but what I read was an autobiographical essay of her experiences that was more descriptive than insightful. In addition, the stories were really boring and focused much more on her, her father, her career than the title of the book. Bummer, and falsely advertised. Sorry to be so negative, but I was expecting work on par wi ...more
Kristin
Jan 09, 2012 Kristin rated it liked it
I enjoy reading books about forensic pathology and was in the mood for such a book today. Unfortunately, while the book was good, it wasn't exactly what I had in mind. Dr. Amatuzio is a forensic pathologist in Minnesota with a quarter-century of experience, so I was expecting a recollection of some of her most memorable cases that fit the 'mysteries and messages' portion of the title, and it was. However, most of these recollections come from discussions she had with friends, family, and strange ...more
Sandy
Aug 13, 2012 Sandy rated it it was amazing
This was a well written, beautiful book about the way some people have connected with loved ones, after they pass on. Very inspiring.

FAVORITE QUOTE FROM BOOK: "It's the loneliness for people, places, and times that no longer exist, except in my mind."
Kim
Jun 12, 2015 Kim rated it liked it
Couldn't finish. First 1/3 was good reading. The rest of book is vignettes of other people's accounts of otherworldly knowing of life after life. It bogs down here. No flow. Nothing to keep me reading, and I enjoy the subject.
Diana Quinn
This book was a fair read. More about the life of the Coroner than the afterlife.
Tami
Nov 07, 2008 Tami rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A while back, I enjoyed Forever Ours. This book was an exploration into death. The author, a forensic pathologist, had been encouraged in her profession to be objective and somewhat cold about process. However, her personal experiences taught her otherwise. Far too often people came to her with stories of messages from beyond the grave or premonitions that happened to come true. In this first book, the author essentially wanted to see if these stories had any truth and if she could prove existen ...more
Kati
May 15, 2016 Kati rated it really liked it
Shelves: memoirs
Read the whole thing in a single sitting
Suzanne
Very Interesting.
Patty
Jan 03, 2015 Patty rated it it was amazing
WOW!
Trish
Nov 08, 2008 Trish rated it really liked it
I loved this book. I already believed there was life after death, but then I got to sit with my dad while he passed away. There were some great moments when we know he was seeing those that had passed before him. This book just helped me understand that others have those stories too from their loved ones! I don't know how you could read these stories and not believe there's a God, someone in control of all of this mess we call life! I am so glad there is!
Erin
Oct 06, 2008 Erin rated it liked it
This book was not what I expected, but in the end I still liked it. A little too much about medical school and how she ended up in forensic pathology. She retells experiences that loved ones of her 'patients' have told her, and the stories are very moving. If you ever find yourself doubting that there is more to come after death, flip through this book.
Laurie
Jan 19, 2013 Laurie rated it liked it
You are more than you know, and you are more than your body. Care for all aspects of yourself. Care for all others as well. Be care-full. Be generous and humble. What you do for another you do for yourself. Remember who you really are: one made in the image and likeness of God, woven from the immortal threads of Forever. Have no fear. Be well.
Jackie
May 30, 2009 Jackie rated it really liked it
A medical examiner reflects on her career and her interactions with patients, family members, physicians, and nurses. I loved the pathology aspects of this book, but found many of the anecdotes sad and difficult to get through. One response to a patient's death particularly resonated: "She might have had cancer, but she was doing fine."
Deb
Dec 31, 2007 Deb rated it liked it
Okay book. A more interesting look at death and dying from someone who does this on a daily basis. Tries to give us a sense of the fact that life goes on after death and even a tragic death of a prostitute or drug dealer is a loss of life. We need to trust in God in the end.
Susan Fetterer
Aug 12, 2011 Susan Fetterer rated it it was amazing
I heard the author speak and couldn't wait to read her book. It didn't disappoint! the stories were intriguing and altho' I found myself thinking of death way too much, there was a reassuring aspect to the situations she experienced through her work. Fascinating.
Katie
Jul 03, 2009 Katie rated it really liked it
This won't be for everyone but I have really liked both of her books! It's not a "light" topic so read them when you are in the mood to think and shed a few tears.
Rob
Feb 29, 2008 Rob rated it liked it
weird when a scientist who operates under the scientific method, describes paranormal experiences with dead patients and their families.
susanlsimon Simon
Sep 08, 2007 susanlsimon Simon rated it liked it
Recommends it for: anyone
Good book but not quite as good as her first. If you enjoy Forever Ours you will like tis one too.
Carol
Mar 18, 2008 Carol rated it it was amazing
Really fascinating and affirms my own beliefs in life after death. A wonderful book.
Lea
Sep 11, 2008 Lea rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
I like thinking about death as a part of life. Dr. Amatuzio writes a compelling story.
Don
Feb 05, 2011 Don rated it liked it
A continuation of "Forever Ours" with a bit more background about the author.
Mary
Mar 17, 2008 Mary rated it liked it
A very interesting read about a doctor's experiences with death.
Jill Stadtmueller
Jul 23, 2013 Jill Stadtmueller rated it really liked it
fascinating book....
Kristine Ruckert
Kristine Ruckert rated it it was amazing
May 23, 2016
Courtney
Courtney marked it as to-read
May 11, 2016
Debbie Goedtel
Debbie Goedtel marked it as to-read
May 06, 2016
Umar
Umar marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2016
Savanah Eschner
Savanah Eschner marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2016
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it liked it
Apr 19, 2016
Jeremy R
Jeremy R rated it it was amazing
Apr 12, 2016
  • The Meaning of Trees: Botany - History - Healing - Lore
  • Witches, Druids and King Arthur
  • Remembering the Future: The Path to Recovering Intuition
  • Standing in the Light: My Life as a Pantheist
  • What Happens When We Die?: A Groundbreaking Study into the Nature of Life and Death
  • Bumbling into Body Hair: A Transsexual's Memoir
  • Holy Silence: The Gift of Quaker Spirituality
  • How Psychic Are You?: 76 Techniques to Boost Your Innate Power
  • My Teenage Werewolf: A Mother, a Daughter, a Journey Through the Thicket of Adolescence
  • White Bears and Other Unwanted Thoughts: Suppression, Obsession, and the Psychology of Mental Control
  • The Train to Estelline