Women's Ways of Knowing: The Development of Self, Voice, and Mind

Women's Ways of Knowing: The Development of Self, Voice, and Mind

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  377 ratings  ·  31 reviews
Despite the progress of the women’s movement, many women still feel silenced in their families and schools. This moving and insightful bestseller, based on in-depth interviews with 135 women, explains why they feel this way. Updated with a new preface exploring how the authors’ collaboration and research developed, this tenth anniversary edition addresses many of the quest...more
Paperback, 10th Anniversary Edition, 288 pages
Published January 9th 1997 by Basic Books (first published 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Women's Ways of Knowing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Women's Ways of Knowing

The Happy Spinster by Karena MarieBITCHfest by Lisa JervisThe Stepford Wives by Ira LevinThe Heroine's Journey by Maureen MurdockSister Light, Sister Dark by Jane Yolen
Best books for Happy Spinsters
13th out of 18 books — 10 voters
The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret AtwoodA Room of One's Own by Virginia WoolfA Vindication of the Rights of Woman by Mary WollstonecraftJane Eyre by Charlotte BrontëThe Second Sex by Simone de Beauvoir
Top Feminist Books
66th out of 74 books — 72 voters

More lists with this book...

Nonsequiteuse
When I started this review, I originally wrote:

I think every woman should . . .

But, since I've read this book, I start this review:

Every woman should read this book. It goes much deeper than this, but at a basic level, once you've read this, you will think twice before you end a sentence that is a statement of fact with a question mark, and before you qualify anything you say with I think, or maybe, or this is just my opinion . . .

Language is our primary tool for interacting with the world. Wo...more
Meen
Jun 08, 2008 Meen rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Meen by: Annmarie Guzy
The very first Gender Studies class I took was Gender in Comp & Rhetoric course, and this was one of the texts we used. As with everything we read that semester, I loved it just because it had me questioning every little thing we take forgranted about our lives and selves. However, even then the book felt very elitist. I'll never forget how offended I felt (though I couldn't articulate it at the time) at the image of these upper-middle-class, fabulously well-educated women sitting on the flo...more
Emily
This book was one of several optional books listed for one of my graduate classes (social and emotional development). I chose to read a different book for the class, but bought this one too because it sounded interesting. I found time to read it this summer. It describes the authors' phenomenological study conducted in the late 70s that examines the ways in which women conceive the self, their voice and their thinking/learning. It compares this to male ways of knowing. The authors contend that w...more
Lily
"Drawn from the voices of women of varied backgrounds, Women's Ways of Knowing reveals the unique perspectives from which women view reality and draw conclusions about truth, knowledge, and authority. An intellectual and political Our Bodies, Ourselves, this book has had significant impact on debates about learning and gender, and will continue to have resonance throughout the fields of education and psychology for years to come." From the Goodreads description.

A book I have given to young women...more
Lorie
Apr 12, 2014 Lorie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: All women and all men interested in understanding all women.
Recommended to Lorie by: It was required reading in grad school.
This book, by validating and providing a nomenclature for everything I unconsciously already knew about myself, CHANGED MY LIFE.
Monica
I just re-read this after about ten plus years. It is always interesting to revisit a text that changes you. The first part was still very powerful for me- especially as my perspective has changed from grad student to professor. I still feel that the categorization is too linear - I think they should be perceived as contextual.
The second half was difficult to read- it felt to black and white and from a dominant culture perspective.
I still think, even with my criticisms, that this book is vital...more
Nancy
very academic.. but readable none the less. it's about maturity of thought/identity as a thinker and how we absorb and integrate knowledge and other perspectives.

i really *want* to believe that women and men are the same for some reason. but i keep running into things that challenge that idea :) this is one of them. although i get the impression they started out *looking* for differences. also, i'm probably 2 generations away from the authors and have trouble thinking of women not having the sa...more
Marisa
I read this book last year for a class but what really impressed me about this book is that the authors clearly and distinctly discus that there is a difference in how men learn and how women learn. In teaching or training disciplines it should be a must read as this really was a great way to identify or self-discover why I learn the way I do and how family, society and norms influence gender based learning. Great read.
Elizabeth
Dec 10, 2007 Elizabeth rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: increase awareness
This book opened my eyes to different learning and behavioral tendencies in women or perhaps between women and between men/women. It is a must read for increasing awareness or improving one's own learning approach. Its an easy read with a simple structure addressing challenging concepts such as linguistics, language, self-esteem, societal roles, discreet and ever present moral pressures.
Amelia Strydom
Been wanting to read this oldie but goodie for years. Finally bought it on Kindle and spent all weekend devouring it. What a wonderful, insightful book. Makes me understand myself and my own history of learning SO much better. Wish I hadn't waited so long, this book really deepens my understanding of 'teaching' and creating a supportive learning environment, especially for women.
Wendy
An interesting read based on studies done on women and how their upbringing, education etc influences the style of "knowing" they adopt and come to value also how it can be changed over the years with support, awareness and acceptance as individuals.
While it was written many years ago still somethings dont change even with time regarding womens issues.
Olivia
Disliked mainly because the women interviewed were not a good representation of women in general. These days women are more independent, have a voice and stand up for themselves; none of which was portrayed in the book. It took all of me not to throw it across the room.
Grace
Feb 29, 2008 Grace rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: midwives, doulas, childbirth educators, pregnant woman
a good book for both men and women to read. important lessons for trusting yourself as a woman to make decisions from the gut.
a prerequisite for a class i took, probably wouldn't have picked it up otherwise but i'm glad i did.
Eric
The explanations on how woman come to know what they know, which are found in this book, do not simply seem to apply to just woman. The concepts presented here are rather universal.
Larry Gallagher
A cornerstone of my dissertation work and lifelong interest - helping people wean from authority, pass through relativism, and learn to embrace both evidence and uncertainty.
Marilyn
This book was profound to me in 1987 as I finished graduate school and entered a career. It seemed dated when I reread it in 2012, but I have grown and ideas have evolved.
Ebony
I read about myself all throughout this book. it was excellent. Good call, Lisa. It's a great treatise on how women come to think about being thinkers.
Elyssa
When this book first came out, I read this for a college class and I related to the authors' overview of women's development because it related to my own.
Joyce
This book had a profound impact on me in college.

I would like to reread it to see how it holds up 20 years later and 20 years older.
Susan
Research & theories on the development of knowledge in women, presenting important alternatives to theories created by studying only males.
J.
This was assigned reading back in circa 92 for a graduate Political Psychology Course. Was an interesting and fun read.
Jo Dagustun
Great book - a real classic on learning/personal development that deserves to be read by all educators/ self-educators.
Anne
This book was useful in finding a way to define the epistemology of women's traditional education.
Mariana
This is an important book on how women learn and grow.
Krystal
A book women should read, especially female educators.
Fran
Just getting into it....research.
Nojood Alsudairi
Dec 28, 2007 Nojood Alsudairi rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Both men and women
Shelves: non-fiction
Woman, you need to read this book!
Pepper McColgan
Older book but very interesting.
Jan
  • The Cry for Myth
  • Women and Madness
  • Truth or Dare: Encounters with Power, Authority, and Mystery
  • Nora: A Biography of Nora Joyce
Knowledge, Difference, And Power: Essays Inspired By Women's Ways Of Knowing A Tradition That Has No Name: Nurturing the Development of People, Families, and Communities Ženski načini spoznavanja : razvoj sebstva, svojeg glasa i svojeg duha A Tradition That Has No Name: Women's Ways Of Leading