Start by marking “By Slanderous Tongues (Doubled Edge, #3)” as Want to Read:
By Slanderous Tongues (Doubled Edge, #3)

By Slanderous Tongues (Doubled Edge #3)

Great Harry is dead, and England is ruled by a dour Protector for 10-year-old Edward VI¿-a Protector intent on keeping total control over the young king and no friend to Lady Elizabeth because of her brother¿s fondness for her. In the great lens and the dark pool that hold Visions for the FarSeers of the Bright Court and the Dark, the images change and waver. A pale, thin ...more
Published February 6th 2007 by Baen

To ask other readers questions about By Slanderous Tongues, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about By Slanderous Tongues

Jim
Mar 02, 2014 Jim rated it really liked it
From Publishers Weekly

Good and evil fairy factions continue to battle over the fate of Elizabeth, daughter of Henry VIII, in this lighthearted, historically detailed third installment in the Scepter'd Isle series (after 2005's Ill Met by Moonlight). To prevent the 14-year-old red-haired princess from ascending the throne, the Dark Sidhe, or Unseleighe, plan to destroy her benevolent Seleighe guardians, Lord Denoriel and his twin sister, Aleneil. Without them to guide her, Elizabeth might slip

Deborah Ideiosepius
Having read this book, the #3 in the series years ago I was interested to see how it would stand a re-reading and the answer is; on the whole, pretty well.

Of the authors, Gellis is a long time favorite and the author I credit with getting me into historic fiction and English history in general while Lackey was for many years one of my favorite Fantasy authors.

By Slanderous Tongues continues the story of Lady Elizabeth, later to be Queen and the efforts of the Seleighe and Unseleighe Sidhe to inf
Tasmia
So I sought out this book when I saw it referenced on the tvtropes.org page for "wife husbandry." I just had to see how the Denoriel/Elizabeth thing played out. Yes, it is a creepy relationship if you think about her being only 14, but the book acknowledges that (and also shows that Elizabeth isn't just being helplessly manipulated to something she couldn't otherwise want) and anyway gives you a lot else to focus on. I started the book half-way through just for that storyline and kept reading be ...more
Doris
Jul 17, 2014 Doris rated it liked it
This interesting tale of the fates of the British Isles as they could have been, had the courts of Fairie decided to interact and interfere was at times fascinating because of the possibilities and still hopelessly boring due to the strict history lesson. It wasn't 100% accurate, which made it less appealing in a way.

Elizabeth we know as Elizabeth the First, who, like her modern relation, ruled over Britain and its territories for many years. This story, however, deals with her as a teen, torn b
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
God this series is so difficult. The sheer amount of history interwoven into this book just overloaded me. The politics of two races at times was too dry for me. I forced myself to get through the first few chapters so I could get to the good stuff. Once I made it through the first few chapters, I was pulled in again. Ms. Lackey's light and dark court mesmerizes me. The elven courts are more similar than they think. The mystery of the mist also intrigues me. The two sets of twins and how they ca ...more
Lbd
Mar 16, 2008 Lbd rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Fantasy historical fiction...historical fantific? what if Elizabeth Tudor was protected by magical beings and lead to the thrown because she was destined to change the world? What if the magical world of Elves/Fairie helped to secure the thrown?

Misty Lackey spins a fun, fantastical story with history as the background and the what if's about different actions of historical characters.
Danielle
Jul 05, 2009 Danielle rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Historical fantasy about Queen Elizabeth I before she became queen. I really enjoyed it, and now I'm going to read an actual history book about her. It was more sexually explicit than I like and more than Mercedes Lackey usually is, but it's generally confined to one or two paragraphs at a time and is easy to skip over.
Sep 24, 2009 Sarah rated it liked it
I am generally not a sci-fi/fantasy reader.
I am, however, in love with all thing Tudor.
I gave this series a shot, ad found out I loved it.
This book, however, was disappointing.
It delved into areas I had hoped it would not go.
I think this will be the last book in this series I will read.
Nora Peevy
Apr 12, 2011 Nora Peevy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Highly creative and enteratining historical fantasy novel based on Queen Elizabeth I. A great period piece. Definitely a good read. Will blog more about it this week. Check back for a link.

Judith
Jan 03, 2011 Judith rated it it was ok
NOt really my favorite by this author and I like almost everything by her. I think it felt a little forced and did not appreciate some of the characters. It was well written, the story was just not for me.
Joy
Apr 07, 2013 Joy rated it it was amazing

Book Three of my favorite Fantasy, and the first half of my Favorite Romance read of 2013
Sharon
Feb 24, 2009 Sharon added it
It gets even better! But I was sorry to see this conclude...
Edward Butler
Mar 28, 2010 Edward Butler rated it really liked it
This is a crazy series of books, and while I am enjoying them very much, I'm not blind to their flaws: the ordinary rules just don't apply for me when it comes to these!
Martha Hocutt
Feb 18, 2015 Martha Hocutt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Slanderous Tongues

This is such a good series to read! I can't wait to see what will take place in the next book
colleen
Nov 14, 2007 colleen rated it really liked it
Shelves: scpl, fantasy, historical
read 02.12.07
Dawn
Jul 06, 2008 Dawn rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book more than the first two in the series. Light and fluffy and fun. Just what I was looking for. I will certainly pick up book four when it comes out.
Francine
Dec 15, 2008 Francine rated it it was amazing
This was great fun...loved the series. Those who enjoy fantasy and the World of Faery will like this.
Cheryl
Dec 31, 2011 Cheryl rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
loved it. I felt in ran a little long and still seemed unfinished.
Veronica Lindsey
Jun 09, 2016 Veronica Lindsey rated it really liked it
Another nice fantasy story. 2nd in a trilogy.
Kate
Kate rated it it was amazing
Jun 04, 2012
Michael
Michael rated it really liked it
Sep 08, 2012
Katie Bierwiler
Katie Bierwiler rated it really liked it
Oct 09, 2015
Jennifer Marie
Jennifer Marie rated it liked it
Apr 20, 2012
Dawn
Dawn rated it really liked it
Jan 20, 2009
Julie Sullivan
Julie Sullivan rated it it was amazing
Apr 05, 2017
Katie Finnell
Katie Finnell rated it it was amazing
Dec 29, 2015
Linda Mitchell
Linda Mitchell rated it really liked it
Oct 08, 2012
Dveith
Dveith rated it really liked it
Oct 14, 2010
Becka
Becka rated it liked it
Aug 15, 2008
Stephanie Leong
Stephanie Leong rated it really liked it
Jul 21, 2009
  • Elvenborn (Halfblood Chronicles, #3)
  • Rediscovery  (Darkover - Chronological Order #11)
  • The Dragon Quintet
  • Bedlam Boyz (Bedlam's Bard, #3)
  • Elvendude (SERRAted Edge #6)
  • Spirits That Walk in Shadow (Chapel Hollow, #3)
  • If I Pay Thee Not in Gold
  • Reap the Whirlwind (Sword of Knowledge, #3)
  • The Godmother's Apprentice (Godmother, #2)
  • The Loneliest Magician
  • Did You Say Chicks?! (Chicks in Chainmail, #2)
  • Ill Met by Moonlight (Shakespearean Fantasies, #1)
  • Wind Rider's Oath (War God, #3)
  • Warlord (The General, #1-2)
  • Treasures of Fantasy
  • Child of the Grove (Wizard of the Grove, #1)
  • In Celebration of Lammas Night
Mercedes entered this world on June 24, 1950, in Chicago, had a normal childhood and graduated from Purdue University in 1972. During the late 70's she worked as an artist's model and then went into the computer programming field, ending up with American Airlines in Tulsa, Oklahoma. In addition to her fantasy writing, she has written lyrics for and recorded nearly fifty songs for Firebird Arts &am ...more
More about Mercedes Lackey...

Doubled Edge (4 books)
  • This Scepter'd Isle (Doubled Edge, #1)
  • Ill Met by Moonlight (Doubled Edge, #2)
  • And Less Than Kind (Doubled Edge, #4)