Start by marking “By Slanderous Tongues (Doubled Edge, #3)” as Want to Read:
By Slanderous Tongues (Doubled Edge, #3)

By Slanderous Tongues (Doubled Edge #3)

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  560 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Great Harry is dead, and England is ruled by a dour Protector for 10-year-old Edward VI--a Protector intent on keeping total control over the young king and no friend to Lady Elizabeth because of her brother's fondness for her.

In the great lens and the dark pool that hold Visions for the FarSeers of the Bright Court and the Dark, the images change and waver. A pale, thin g...more
Published February 6th 2007 by Baen (first published March 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about By Slanderous Tongues, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about By Slanderous Tongues

Jim
From Publishers Weekly

Good and evil fairy factions continue to battle over the fate of Elizabeth, daughter of Henry VIII, in this lighthearted, historically detailed third installment in the Scepter'd Isle series (after 2005's Ill Met by Moonlight). To prevent the 14-year-old red-haired princess from ascending the throne, the Dark Sidhe, or Unseleighe, plan to destroy her benevolent Seleighe guardians, Lord Denoriel and his twin sister, Aleneil. Without them to guide her, Elizabeth might slip

Doris
This interesting tale of the fates of the British Isles as they could have been, had the courts of Fairie decided to interact and interfere was at times fascinating because of the possibilities and still hopelessly boring due to the strict history lesson. It wasn't 100% accurate, which made it less appealing in a way.

Elizabeth we know as Elizabeth the First, who, like her modern relation, ruled over Britain and its territories for many years. This story, however, deals with her as a teen, torn b...more
Tasmia
So I sought out this book when I saw it referenced on the tvtropes.org page for "wife husbandry." I just had to see how the Denoriel/Elizabeth thing played out. Yes, it is a creepy relationship if you think about her being only 14, but the book acknowledges that (and also shows that Elizabeth isn't just being helplessly manipulated to something she couldn't otherwise want) and anyway gives you a lot else to focus on. I started the book half-way through just for that storyline and kept reading be...more
♆ BookAddict ~ La Crimson Femme
God this series is so difficult. The sheer amount of history interwoven into this book just overloaded me. The politics of two races at times was too dry for me. I forced myself to get through the first few chapters so I could get to the good stuff. Once I made it through the first few chapters, I was pulled in again. Ms. Lackey's light and dark court mesmerizes me. The elven courts are more similar than they think. The mystery of the mist also intrigues me. The two sets of twins and how they ca...more
Lbd
Apr 24, 2008 Lbd rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: fantasy
Fantasy historical fiction...historical fantific? what if Elizabeth Tudor was protected by magical beings and lead to the thrown because she was destined to change the world? What if the magical world of Elves/Fairie helped to secure the thrown?

Misty Lackey spins a fun, fantastical story with history as the background and the what if's about different actions of historical characters.
Danielle
Historical fantasy about Queen Elizabeth I before she became queen. I really enjoyed it, and now I'm going to read an actual history book about her. It was more sexually explicit than I like and more than Mercedes Lackey usually is, but it's generally confined to one or two paragraphs at a time and is easy to skip over.
I am generally not a sci-fi/fantasy reader.
I am, however, in love with all thing Tudor.
I gave this series a shot, ad found out I loved it.
This book, however, was disappointing.
It delved into areas I had hoped it would not go.
I think this will be the last book in this series I will read.
Nora Peevy
Highly creative and enteratining historical fantasy novel based on Queen Elizabeth I. A great period piece. Definitely a good read. Will blog more about it this week. Check back for a link.

Judith
NOt really my favorite by this author and I like almost everything by her. I think it felt a little forced and did not appreciate some of the characters. It was well written, the story was just not for me.
Edward Butler
This is a crazy series of books, and while I am enjoying them very much, I'm not blind to their flaws: the ordinary rules just don't apply for me when it comes to these!
Dawn
I enjoyed this book more than the first two in the series. Light and fluffy and fun. Just what I was looking for. I will certainly pick up book four when it comes out.
Joy

Book Three of my favorite Fantasy, and the first half of my Favorite Romance read of 2013
Francine
This was great fun...loved the series. Those who enjoy fantasy and the World of Faery will like this.
Kathy Davie
Excellent. The tension continues to build as Lackey & Norton keep you in the dark.
Cheryl
loved it. I felt in ran a little long and still seemed unfinished.
Norabear
Enjoyable fluff read about elves in Tudor England. Third in series.
Sharon
Feb 24, 2009 Sharon added it
It gets even better! But I was sorry to see this conclude...
colleen
read 02.12.07
Barbara
Barbara marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2014
Seiran
Seiran marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2014
Ametra
Ametra marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2014
Nici Evans
Nici Evans marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2014
Casey French
Casey French marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2014
Linda
Linda marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2014
  • Bedlam Boyz (Bedlam's Bard, #3)
  • Elvenborn (Halfblood Chronicles, #3)
  • Rediscovery (Darkover, #9)
  • If I Pay Thee Not in Gold
  • Did You Say Chicks?! (Chicks in Chainmail, #2)
  • In Celebration of Lammas Night
  • The Dragon Quintet
  • Brain Ships (Brainship, #2-3)
  • The First Stone (The Last Rune, #6)
  • Wind Rider's Oath (War God, #3)
  • The Tide of Victory (Belisarius, #5)
  • Ill Met by Moonlight (Shakespearean Fantasies, #1)
Mercedes entered this world on June 24, 1950, in Chicago, had a normal childhood and graduated from Purdue University in 1972. During the late 70's she worked as an artist's model and then went into the computer programming field, ending up with American Airlines in Tulsa, Oklahoma. In addition to her fantasy writing, she has written lyrics for and recorded nearly fifty songs for Firebird Arts &...more
More about Mercedes Lackey...
Arrows of the Queen (Heralds of Valdemar, #1) Magic's Pawn (Valdemar: Last Herald-Mage #1) By the Sword (Valdemar: Kerowyn's Tale, #1) Magic's Price (Valdemar: Last Herald-Mage #3) Magic's Promise (Valdemar: Last Herald-Mage #2)