Start by marking “Teaching with Love and Logic: Taking Control of the Classroom” as Want to Read:
Teaching with Love and Logic: Taking Control of the Classroom

Teaching with Love and Logic: Taking Control of the Classroom

4.07  ·  Rating Details ·  2,033 Ratings  ·  155 Reviews
"Love and Logic" is a method of working with students which was developed by educational expert Jim Fay, and child psychiatrist Foster W.Cline, M.D. The "Love and Logic" tecniques: Put teachers back in control of the classroomResult in students who are internalized in their discipline rather than dependent upon external controlsRaise the level of student responsibillityTea ...more
Published January 1st 2010 by Love & Logic Press (first published January 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Teaching with Love and Logic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Teaching with Love and Logic

The Book Whisperer by Donalyn MillerThe First Days Of School by Harry K. WongPedagogy of the Oppressed by Paulo FreireSavage Inequalities by Jonathan KozolEducating Esmé by Esmé Raji Codell
books for teachers, educators
20th out of 504 books — 475 voters
My First Travel Angelic Airline Adventures by Anna OthitisTeach Like a Champion by Doug LemovEducating Esmé by Esmé Raji CodellThe First Days Of School by Harry K. WongSavage Inequalities by Jonathan Kozol
Books every teacher should read
17th out of 166 books — 178 voters

More lists with this book...

Sep 01, 2009 Laura rated it it was amazing
I found this book really helpful, and I'm looking forward to putting the ideas into practice next week when the students start school. The idea behind "teaching with love and logic" is that, instead of having a discipline system of rules and punishments, teachers address discipline issues on the basis of principles. This means that each instance is addressed uniquely. It also means that the kid is made to do most of the work in resolving the problem and thereby actually learns how to problem-sol ...more
Dan
Jul 18, 2008 Dan rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone working with kids
I was handed this book by the head of a middle school and it is a solid piece of work. The subtitle is a bit misleading since much of the emphasis is on sharing control with your students. The basic idea is that people's self-worth and desire for control are at play in most situations where a student is 'misbehaving'. Therefore, valuing the student (regardless of the judgment of their behavior), showing empathy, giving students options in situations where we might usually dictate, and giving stu ...more
Jessica
Oct 04, 2009 Jessica rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: teachers
Recommended to Jessica by: Mark
Like any "self-help" sort of book, the basic things are repeated over and over. And over. But sometimes it's not until the 10th time that you read it that it clicks.

I'm honestly not sure how to apply some of the principles suggested here--like whispering in a kid's ear and then walking away, or saying something like, "Can you do that in Mr. Johnson's room? I'm not sure how to handle it right now."

I've tried to remember to use the statements about me, as *I* am the only person I can control (th
Mark Schlatter
Of all the books I've read so far on classroom management, I believe the Love and Logic approach fits best with my personal philosophy: give the students as much control as possible over their environment, backed up with natural and reasonable consequences and teacher consistency. The goal is to educate students in making good decisions while preserving their self concept while off-loading work from teachers onto students.

The problem is that the book --- while it has a solid philosophy --- is di
Melissa
Mar 18, 2011 Melissa rated it really liked it
Shelves: teaching
I have used these techniques while student teaching and they actually work. I think it's a humane, stress-free way of dealing with teenagers in particular, in a way that makes sense, with compassion, reason and the proper placement of responsibility for behavior choices.

Alison
Aug 24, 2014 Alison rated it it was amazing
This book is full of so many "I can't wait to try this out!" ideas that at times it is a bit overwhelming. I plowed through it with a pen & highlighter within easy reach. Normally I am a stickler about not dog-earring a book, but I found myself unable to resist...there were so many things that I wanted to be able to turn back to right away without having to hunt through the index to find. The part I find most helpful is that the authors were excellent & reminding the reader throughout to ...more
Marla
Dec 18, 2010 Marla rated it it was ok
I'm intrigued by the idea and think it has definite possibilities, but the material in this book was not well compiled and edited. I found it redundant in some places and unclear in others.
Chris Bates
Jun 01, 2012 Chris Bates rated it it was amazing
Shelves: teaching, parents
Works for teachers and parents. Choices give people power. Giving acceptable choices relenquishes power within boundaries.
Siskiyou-Suzy
Just once I wish advice on disciplining children would contain this: "This method will work for a lot of children, but you're probably going to run into a child who just doesn't care. They will not respond the way I'm claiming they will to any of these solutions and eventually you will run out of advice that I've given. Basically, you're on your own." Teaching with Love and Logic does not admit this, so you just have to know it going in.

I was recommended the love and logic way by my boss, a lead
Heather
Jun 27, 2013 Heather rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm currently re-reading this book because it requires continued study and reflection. It's probably one of the best tools I've found for behavior management in a classroom, and possibly the only system that can work in an online teaching environment. The ideas seem so simple, but the application with a cool head under pressure takes much study and practice. I've found I've mastered several of the ideas put forth in the text and am mining it for the next ideas I can apply.

As for the writing itse
Becki
Feb 11, 2015 Becki added it
Shelves: book-collector
This was a great book full of strategies for classroom management.\nDefinite must read for first year teachers (and every year for any teacher).\nThere is no need for the consequence to be immediate\nBe consistent\nConsequences with empathy\nGive choices when possible so you've 'earned' dictatorship on important issues. But make sure you can live with both choices.
Bea Elwood
May 18, 2014 Bea Elwood rated it liked it
Written 20 years ago a lot of the "cutting edge" and "out-of-the-box" concepts are now pretty common sense. Still it gives some good examples and walks you through how to apply logic to conflicts with students. Would be most helpful to have more application and less repeative preaching about why we should try this approach but it would need to be updated first.
Jackalacka
Aug 28, 2016 Jackalacka rated it liked it
I had to read this for a summer class and I enjoyed reading it since somehow I've never gotten around to reading it and it's been around forever. There isn't a lot of research based tips and studies, mostly anecdotal but the tips are good reminders of how to deal with behavior issues in the classroom. It's a quick read too even though it looks huge.
Liz
Jul 13, 2014 Liz rated it it was amazing
Shelves: teaching
Loved this. Can't express how helpful this book is. I'm a new teacher and need actual strategies to put into practice. This book provided that, along with some changes in attitude I really need.

This book deals with building relationships with students, teaching them to think and providing consequences in a way that will foster relationships and thinking on the part of the student. It addresses primarily classroom management, but can be applied to other areas as well.
Delonna
Jun 26, 2008 Delonna rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Teachers, administrators, Parents
Recommended to Delonna by: Suzanne Livingston
I have been teaching for about 3 1/2 years. My parents used Love and Logic in our house, so as a classroom tool, it made great sense to me.
It taught me how to effectively interact with all students, even the ones that "push my buttons" in constructive way.
They have easy to use ideas that do not replace what you're already doing. You might decide to change something you're doing now, but its not meant to be a system really. It is about controlling you and letting them control themselves.
It takes
Fredrick Danysh
Nov 20, 2014 Fredrick Danysh rated it liked it
Shelves: education
Teaching is an art. The author attempts to pass on some ideas and skills to aid teachers in reaching all students. The author also addresses the difference between expectations and reality. This is a nice book for teachers and anyone else involved in helping students learn.
Stephen
May 18, 2014 Stephen rated it liked it
I read this book cover to cover one year and implemented many of its strategies, but it ultimately failed to provide a practical solution to handling classroom discipline for me. Many of the techniques used are manipulative and hard to implement effectively and consistently.
Julie
Aug 16, 2016 Julie rated it really liked it
The love and logic attitude towards discipline is a respectful, helpful way to help kids struggling to behave in class. The authors give examples of how love and logic can diffuse high adrenaline situations, prevent power struggles, and get teachers back to teaching.
Kiersten Krog
Oct 07, 2015 Kiersten Krog rated it really liked it
A great read filled with tons of information!

I definitely want to be a love and logic teacher and this will be a great book to have when I begin teaching. Giving children options and making them think is very important and a great idea.
Clint Tidwell
Oct 22, 2015 Clint Tidwell rated it really liked it
Great read. Wish I ha tea it before the school season started so that I could have absorbed it better and had time to process it before trying to use it in my classroom.
Yeva
Mar 16, 2014 Yeva rated it liked it
Love and Logic is an interesting take on classroom management, and it's a good take. As I've read this book, I've tried many of the suggestions it offered. Too right! Although some of the interventions take too long to implement, most of the ways to build relationships and stop control fights work wonderfully well. Great resource for beginning teachers!
david
Mar 15, 2015 david rated it really liked it
Helpful guidelines for teaching and parenting.

Enhance self-concept
Share control
Consequences with Empathy
Share thinking
Christy
Apr 28, 2016 Christy rated it it was amazing
Read this in college in preparations to teach. I used so many of the principles found therein --even now in parenting.
Julia
Dec 30, 2014 Julia rated it it was amazing
I read this for a class I'm taking to renew my teaching license and am enjoying it very much.
Maria Kussy
Jul 13, 2016 Maria Kussy rated it liked it
Good ideas and information, but repetitive information from chapter to chapter.
Vanessa Siino Haack
Feb 07, 2015 Vanessa Siino Haack rated it it was amazing
I wish the stars went to 11. This book is revolutionizing my classroom.
Angie Stroud
Mar 11, 2016 Angie Stroud rated it it was amazing
Great, practical techniques to use in the classroom!
Amanda Elliott
Apr 01, 2016 Amanda Elliott rated it really liked it
This is a must have for any teacher!
Justin
Dec 30, 2015 Justin rated it really liked it
I've used bits and pieces of this classroom management philosophy, but the book does a good job of building from philosophy to practice. Sometimes their dialogues are a little forces, but it's clear what they are treating to convey. The big takeaway from this philosophy is that it's so easy to implement because it starts with you. You decide what your limits and boundaries are and what you're going to do about it. You give some control to gain control. Once you understand the philosophy it can a ...more
Catherine
Eh, ok. Some useful, some not.
Does it work? 2 27 Feb 15, 2010 06:55PM
  • Teaching Outside the Box: How to Grab Your Students by Their Brains
  • What Great Teachers Do Differently: Fourteen Things That Matter Most
  • The First Six Weeks of School
  • Guiding Readers and Writers: Teaching Comprehension, Genre, and Content Literacy
  • Strategies That Work: Teaching Comprehension for Understanding and Engagement
  • The First Days Of School: How To Be An Effective Teacher
  • The Daily Five
  • Classroom Instruction That Works: Research-Based Strategies for Increasing Student Achievement
  • Reading with Meaning: Teaching Comprehension in the Primary Grades
  • Teach Like a Champion: 49 Techniques that Put Students on the Path to College
  • I Read It, but I Don't Get It: Comprehension Strategies for Adolescent Readers
  • The Art of Teaching Reading
  • The Morning Meeting Book
  • Mosaic of Thought: Teaching Comprehension in a Reader's Workshop
  • Words Their Way: Word Study for Phonics, Vocabulary, and Spelling Instruction, [Book, CD & DVD]
  • The Passionate Teacher: A Practical Guide