Start by marking “Odder Than Ever (Bruce Coville's Short Stories, #2)” as Want to Read:
Odder Than Ever (Bruce Coville's Short Stories, #2)

Odder Than Ever (Bruce Coville's Short Stories #2)

4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  150 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Beloved for his hilarious and unexpectedly moving novels, Bruce Coville is also a master of the short story. In this follow-up to Oddly Enough, he again presents a collection of unusual breadth and emotional depth. A ghost who died under uproarious circumstances haunts a kitchen baking “Biscuits of Glory,” while in the grand tale “The Golden Sail,” there are unexpected con ...more
Published October 4th 2000 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Odder Than Ever, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Odder Than Ever

Nine Stories by J.D. SalingerThe Complete Stories and Poems by Edgar Allan PoeA Good Man is Hard to Find and Other Stories by Flannery O'ConnorDubliners by James JoyceThe Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury
Collections of Short Stories
387th out of 1,695 books — 1,359 voters
Magic Bites by Ilona AndrewsMoon Called by Patricia BriggsCurran, Vol. I by Gordon AndrewsDragon Bound by Thea HarrisonBeauty Dates the Beast by Jessica Sims
Best Shapeshifters
15th out of 36 books — 57 voters

More lists with this book...

Cloud Jumpa
If I remember correctly, this book captivated me to no end when I was younger. It was during me Wow-I-Can-Read! stage in middle school, when I inhaled books from my local library and discovered some of my roots from when I was a littln' (horray for Lord of the Flies references!). In here is a collection of stories that were...well, odd, as the title suggests, but were told with in such brillant and unique ways. I remember a story was included in which a boy met a genie who turned everyone who w ...more
Martha
The Golden Sail--good point about forgiveness.
Biscuits of Glory--very lighthearted.
I, Earthling--my favorite in this book.
The Giant's Tooth--unexpected ending.
There's Nothing Under the Bed--this volume's story that I told my children not to read.
The Stinky Princess--fun, if a bit predictable.
The Japanese Mirror--shades of Dorian Gray.
Am I Blue?--strange, but interesting, in a way.
The Metamorphosis of Justin Jones--reminds me of learning about transitional characters.
Haley
This book of short stories has six older and three new stories by Bruce Coville. From light fantasy to more thought-provoking themes, this has something for everyone. Most are fun to read and there are a few surprises. The short stories range from shivery horror (Theres Nothing under the Bed) to “tongue-in-cheek”humor (The Giants Tooth) to a fractured fairy tale (The Stinky Princess). “Am I Blue?” creates a funny solution to homophobia, a boy meets his inner demon in “The Japanese Mirror”, and ...more
The Cheap Reader
I’m not a huge fan of short stories so this book was better than expected. With that said, my enjoyment of the stories was all over the place.

I really enjoyed I, Earthling. It was a fun twist on aliens. I didn’t enjoy Am I Blue ? at all. The rest of the stories were kind of scattered between the two extremes.

The Japanese Mirror and There’s Nothing Under The Bed were enjoyable enough. They reminded me quite a bit of Goosebumps. There’s Nothing Under The Bed kind of gave me the heebie-jeebies. Yes
Sep 13, 2008 Sarah rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: lovers of fantasies, short stories, young adult fiction, and/or horror movies
What wonderful short stories. This collection starts off with its best material, I think, and then kind of tapers off. I can tell because I stayed awake better for the stories in the beginning--Biscuits of Glory; I, Earthling; There's Nothing Under the Bed--than I did for the ones at the end: Am I Blue? and The Japanese Mirror. But, all in all, these are some pretty f-ed up fantasy stories for kids, and thus awesome for adults. I would highly recommend it.
jeff
The first story was not the best of the lot, but each one seemed to build upon the momentum and creativity of the previous. I wasn't sure if this was going to be the best book to read aloud, since it is slightly more literary than some of the other books we've read at night, but it charmed me. I'd totally read other books by Coville.
Christina
There were several short stories included in this book...Even though the stories were odd at times, there was a moral to each story. I was not used to Bruce Coville writing this way, but definitely a good read for 4th grade and up because it gets their brains thinking about different issues and concerns.
Yizongk
this book is just... i dont even have the word for it. when i was reading this book, i feel glances of my self when i was a kid because the book tells a bunch of REALLY good story and i felt like a kid with a wild imagination. this book is just beyond my word to describe ti.
Rachel
Brilliant young adult fantasy, with genuine moral questions guiding all the stories, which means that as an adult I still love these stories. Not quite didactic, just enough to make you think.
Asia
Don't be fooled by the Young Adult Label these stories are entertaining and inspiring. Bruce Coville has reamined a favorite author of mine through childhood into adulthood.
Amy
I did not finish this book, which is totally odd for me! It was on my list of "humor" books, but the first three stories were not funny at all... So I returned it.
Ruth
Some of the stories are good, some are so-so. Ironically, the more critically aclaimed ones really weren't my favorite. A couple of them I want to read to my kids.
Anita
I was telling a friend about one of the stories from this book and felt the urge to reread it. I like all the stories in this book, every one is imaginative.
Willow
Bruce Coville is a great young adult author! This was a very good book, if I remember correctly, but I did like Oddly Enough better.
Child960801
I don't usually read short stories, but I like Bruce Coville and I enjoyed these one, especially the story about the giant's teeth.
loved this book it is nine short stories. And they are all really good. Bruce Coville is one of my new favorite authors.
Clickety
Bruce Coville is just an awesome storyteller. I think most, if not all, of these stories would be accessible to anyone.
Beka
Some really neat stories and some really weird ones. A nice collection of odd.
Adailla
Adailla marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2014
Haystack
Haystack marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2014
Catherine S
Catherine S marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2014
Gretel Ellenburg
Gretel Ellenburg marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2014
Chris
Chris added it
Sep 02, 2014
  • I Used to Think I Was Normal But Now I Take Pills for That
  • Here There Be Unicorns
  • Stolen Voices
  • A Samurai Never Fears Death (Samurai Detective, #5)
  • Emma Jean Lazarus Fell in Love
  • Rumpelstiltskin
  • Thorn in Her Side (The Princess School, #7)
  • A Wizard's Dozen: Stories Of The Fantastic
  • Serendipity Market
  • Dragon Ball Z: The Boy From the Future, Vol. 12 (Dragon Ball Z, #12)
  • Being Dead
  • Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith: Novelization
  • Yurara, Vol. 4
  • Modern Classics of Fantasy
  • Ghost Ship
  • The Trolls
Into the Land of the Unicorns (Unicorn Chronicles, #1) Song of the Wanderer (Unicorn Chronicles, #2) Jeremy Thatcher, Dragon Hatcher (Magic Shop, #2) My Teacher is an Alien (My Teacher is an Alien, #1) William Shakespeare's: A Midsummer Night's Dream (Shakespeare Retellings, #2)