Start by marking “Aerie (Dragon Jousters, #4)” as Want to Read:
Aerie (Dragon Jousters, #4)

Aerie (Dragon Jousters #4)

3.92  ·  Rating Details ·  4,640 Ratings  ·  87 Reviews
Kiron has secretly gathered an army of dragon riders to seek refuge in the abandoned desert city they have named Sanctuary, where they join with other dragon riders to rid their world of both war and magical domination. But now it is time to build a new society in Aerie: an ancient city that seems to have been designed for dragon riders and their dragons.
Published October 3rd 2006 by DAW Books

To ask other readers questions about Aerie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Aerie

Eragon by Christopher PaoliniThe Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienEldest by Christopher PaoliniBrisingr by Christopher PaoliniDragonflight by Anne McCaffrey
Dragons
334th out of 1,025 books — 1,981 voters
The Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienEragon by Christopher PaoliniHarry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingHis Majesty's Dragon by Naomi Novik
Best Book With or About Dragons
240th out of 536 books — 620 voters

More lists with this book...

Clouds
Four word summary: Better than I expected!

So while my wife, Millie, was in labour with our daughter, I read four books (it took a while). It's been a bit trickier to find time to get those four books reviewed since then (we also have a hyper toddler).

I doubt many people will read Aerie without having first read the preceding three books in the trilogy. I jumped straight in here because Millie was still reading book three, Sanctuary, so she'd bought this with her, and I needed something/anything
Beverly
Aug 18, 2010 Beverly rated it did not like it
Dreadful. It took over two hundred pages for a conflict to appear and once it had, it struck up out of nowhere. It had no connection to the previous books and made no sense. It was more like she tossed it in for the sake of a conflict, to render the fourth book significant when she could have ended it earlier. There was no build up for it and no hint of it in other books, either.

In addition, the introduction of Peri felt forced, especially since she had no character development. She appeared lik
Beverly

Shelves: fantasy
Niki Zee Dee
Aug 22, 2014 Niki Zee Dee rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, dragons
As much as the first three books in this series left me wanting more, the first hundred pages of this one left me wondering if Lackey shouldn't have stopped at a trilogy.

So, the pacing is a bit weird. And I wanted to shake Kiron more than once for his views on women Jousters - they come across as so infantile for a character who has faced and grown so much in the first three novels. It's not until much later in the book that he's forced to examine any of his views, and I'm not completely convin
Aelvana
Oct 28, 2014 Aelvana rated it did not like it
In a word: cheese. Though that's hardly surprising; the real question is how tolerable it is. I hadn't noticed too many similarities beforehand, but in this book, the gods make a little more of a showing, and it's blatantly obvious they're based on Egyptian gods. Not the gods themselves, but so close that every time I see "Haras" I'm thinking to myself "She spelled it wrong again." I would have much preferred she use the original Egyptian gods or made up new ones with different symbolism or myth ...more
Ericka Stutler
Latharia
For the end to an entire series, it was a disappointment, but I did enjoy the characters & the book, so it's still okay. *shrug* I've just seen the author write so much better novels than this one, by comparison, it's pretty dull. I was 80% through it, still waiting for the plotline to develop, and then all the action took place in the last 30 pages! I think I might have been better off just stopping at book #3 of 4 & making up my own ending!
Graylark
Mar 20, 2015 Graylark rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
It was good to read this book to see what happened after the dust settled. Kiron was a delightful character as always; intelligent, unassuming, and efficient.

What I didn't like was that there was a lot of build up showing Aketten being a petulant, willful, insubordinate spoiled brat going over the head of her commander, and it was abruptly and unsatisfyingly glossed over in one bland little conversation much later.

Letis was also a disappointment--she could have been a lot more but was just a o
Esther
Jan 02, 2014 Esther rated it did not like it
I find Mercedes Lackey to be something of a 50% hit-or-miss author. She exhausted her 50% awesome in the first two books, and Aerie is absolutely awful.

Villains in this series have become more and more faceless as time goes on. Khefti was an antagonist you knew something about and loved to hate; you cheered when things went wrong for him, you rooted for his enemies, and you loved Ari for beating him down. I frankly never found much out about the Magi, except for the atrocities they committed; an
Kaylee
Aug 30, 2016 Kaylee rated it liked it
Things I didn't like: The ending was kind of abrupt, and Aket-ten, who in previous books was willful but intelligent, turned into a petulant and unreasonable person for no reason that I could see.

What I liked: I had very much enjoyed the first three books, so I enjoyed getting to spend more time in their world. I think it has to be one of my favorite fictional settings.

I've heard people say that you could stop after the third book, and I agree that you could, but although it wasn't as strong at
Birgit
Feb 23, 2014 Birgit rated it really liked it
The final volume in the Jouster series finds our friends preparing for the final battle, after realising that they are all pawns in a greater game between the Gods.
Mrs Lackey finishes her Jouster series in an epic battle between good and evil, testing the honour and friendship and determination of both humans and dragons.
This is one of the best series I have read, equal to Anne McCaffrey's Dragonrider of Pern books - with both of them, I felt there should be more after I read the last one - bu
Kristy Halseth
While this title is a good book it feels like an afterthought. It feels like the start of a second trilogy but that the author changed her mind and didn't fully explore. Instead she found a way to tie things up and it just seems a little out there and awkward. It either needed to be tied more tightly with the first three books or it needed to be stretched out into one more book to fully explore the things introduced in this title. It is worth reading but isn't as strong as the previous books.
Hilary
Jul 18, 2015 Hilary rated it it was ok
While I absolutely adored the first three books of the "Dragon Jousters" series, I was thoroughly unimpressed by the fourth. Kiron, a character who, in previous books had been marvelously well-rounded, likeable, and developed, fell flat. Aket-ten, also, seemed to plateau, as far as development goes. The minor characters were thrown in at random and served only to make the book a little more irritating.

I had wondered throughout the three previous books what had happened to Kiron's family; when th
Kris
Feb 02, 2015 Kris rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of dragon fiction
Shelves: own-it
This is the 4th, and final, book in the Dragon Jousters series. It's also the weakest, in my opinion. Not that it was bad, per se, but it took a long time for anything to happen, and the ending was too quick.

In this book, we see the two former enemy nations, Alta and Tia, trying to learn to live together. However, this seemed to be given short shrift by the author, as the book mostly focused on a new character, Peri, who wants to become another female dragon jouster. The first half of the book w
Omly
Aug 28, 2012 Omly rated it it was ok
As the 4th and final book in the Dragon Jousters series, I had been mildly looking forward to this book. Mercedes Lackey is always a very comfortable read, perfect for when I just want some slightly fluffy fantasy.

I was a bit disappointed by how this one developed. It moved very slowly for most of it, which was ok, but then it rushed any sort of tension and resolution into the last few pages. I would say that before that was all character development, but in the end the characters did not seem m
Lisa (Harmonybites)
Sep 27, 2010 Lisa (Harmonybites) rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fantasy Fans
Shelves: fantasy, fiction, novels
This is the fourth and concluding book in the Dragon Jouster's series that began with Joust and continues in Alta and Sanctuary, and you should definitely read those first.

The series has appealing characters in an unusual setting, a milieu reminiscent of Ancient Egypt rather than Medieval Europe as in much of fantasy. The central character, Kiron, has a strong arc in what is essentially a coming of age tale, from serf in the first book to someone here who is a leader among his people. I also li
Tiffany
Oct 19, 2008 Tiffany rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fantasy adult/Pern Readers/Mercedes Lackey fans
Recommended to Tiffany by: Mercedes Lackey fan already
I LOVE MERCEDES LACKEY! So this might be a biased review, but I love the creative worlds she creates. This series is attempt to give the readers another Dragon World other than Pern.(Note: I LOVE Anne McCaffrey Too. No 'Dis on Pern intended. But it's nice to see another Dragon World.)
This world is more of a Middle Eastern feel to it, with the desert descriptions for one kingdom and the more lush kingdom North. It reminded me a bit of Upper and Lower Ancient Egypt.
There is the care of hatching fr
Mav
Joana
Nov 21, 2007 Joana rated it really liked it
Aerie is the final book in Mercedes Lackey’s Dragon Jousters series. After the culmination of events in Sanctuary it seems hard to believe that there would be any way for the story to really continue without it seemingly going on and on forever without end, somewhat akin to daytime television. Lackey does a nice job of of tying up all of the loose ends and unfinished thoughts of the previous three books.

Aerie is set approximately a year (or so) after the events of Sanctuary. Ari and Nofret are t
Aerine
Feb 26, 2014 Aerine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, last book could have ended the series just fine, however, this book didn't detract from the series as a whole. I was a bit frustrated at the beginning, when all that had been accomplished seemed to fall apart for foolishness, but, it all worked out, and the monster in the closet was much larger than in the first three books, but the heroes were all larger than life as well.
Kevin
Dec 30, 2014 Kevin rated it liked it
While I enjoyed this book, it is probably the weakest in the series. Not enough plot to keep the character fresh and interesting and not enough dragons to make up for it. That being said, it is still a good book and worth the read, its just not Lackey's best work.
Elizabeth
Oct 22, 2013 Elizabeth rated it liked it
Mixed feelings about this book. There were a lot of good/exciting things going on but there were some things that were really making me mad. First, I love the imagery of the final battle scene. I get images of some epic Greek battle with both gods and mortals fighting for power. I hate the character Aket-ten. She is a whiney, entiteled b**ch. I am so pissed that she didn't get dumped to the curb. Jeez, I was dreading any scene with her in it. She needs to be knocked down a peg or two. I wish mor ...more
Ryan Yeats
May 04, 2015 Ryan Yeats rated it it was ok
I want to like this book, but it feels like a rushed wrap-up to something that doesn't need to be wrapped up. I like having from the universe though, and I'd love to see some "smaller" novels that explore it even more.
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
This was a nice conclusion to the Dragon Jousters series. I thought book 3 was the end but left a few questions unanswered. I thought about it and realized why I like these books so much. Ms. Lackey, like Ms. McCaffrey, creates an unlikely hero who fights hard to overcome adversity. The moral lessons of right versus wrong, good versus evil is appealing. What is also appealing is how not everyone is evil.

Sometimes people blindly fall without question. The internal wrestling some of the character
E_bookpushers
The first part of this book was decent. I wonder how much of the tension between the star-crossed lovers was the result of their enemy and how much was simply people trying to find their place in life. Now that things have calmed down all the non-essential annoyances and habits returned.

I didn't quite see the reason for the particular enemy and the various Gods mentioned unless it was to tie this closer to Egypt mythology or to give a reason to clean up the mess involving Kiron, Peri, Kiron's m
Ruhe
Sep 23, 2016 Ruhe rated it liked it
This series is uneven and sometimes inconsistent with itself. Those little inconsistencies always bother me. It is mostly enjoyable, though.
Audra
Jan 02, 2016 Audra rated it it was ok
To this point this series was mostly a pleasant light read. Not this one. Half of it was teenage bickering (meh) and the other half tried to be very dark, but no one could tell what was going on and even when things heat up no one is ever seriously harmed, everything goes unrealistically well. If the characters carried the story I could have dealt with a weak enemy, but together there wasn't enough worthwhile content in this book.
Cynthia Pratt
Mar 28, 2015 Cynthia Pratt rated it liked it
Not quite up to the earlier books but enjoyed it nevertheless. FOr some reason Anet-ten was whiny this book and that never got totally resolved to my satisfaction. Of course there are a lot more characters to follow.
  • Elvenblood (Halfblood Chronicles, #2)
  • Tiger Burning Bright
  • The Dragon Quintet
  • If I Pay Thee Not in Gold
  • Redeeming the Lost (The Tale of Lanen Kaelar, #3)
  • Exiles' Return (Ghatti's Tale, #3)
  • Mistress of Dragons (The Dragonvarld Trilogy, #1)
  • Dragon's Fire (Pern, #19)
  • The Mirror Prince (The Mirror Prince #1)
  • In Celebration of Lammas Night
  • The Fire Opal (Lost Continent, #4)
  • Dragon Outcast (Age of Fire #3)
  • Dragon's Heart (Pit Dragon Chronicles, #4)
  • Warning: Contains Language: Stories and Poems from Angels & Visitations
  • Dragon and Phoenix (Dragonlord, #2)
  • The Book of Earth (Dragon Quartet, #1)
  • Dragon and Judge (Dragonback, #5)
Mercedes entered this world on June 24, 1950, in Chicago, had a normal childhood and graduated from Purdue University in 1972. During the late 70's she worked as an artist's model and then went into the computer programming field, ending up with American Airlines in Tulsa, Oklahoma. In addition to her fantasy writing, she has written lyrics for and recorded nearly fifty songs for Firebird Arts &am ...more
More about Mercedes Lackey...

Dragon Jousters (4 books)
  • Joust (Dragon Jousters, #1)
  • Alta (Dragon Jousters, #2)
  • Sanctuary (Dragon Jousters, #3)

“Peri went to the window, gesturing out at the dragons, perched and flying, everywhere. "Safe, true, but how boring! How confining! How sad! How could that compare with this? And what is safe? You were not safe on your little farm. War came to you and took all your safety away! If I am to be in this world, I want more than to be a hound upon the game board, tucked away in a corner until the jackals come and sweep all away!” 5 likes
“depredations” 0 likes