Start by marking “Things Are Disappearing Here: Poems” as Want to Read:
Things Are Disappearing Here: Poems

Things Are Disappearing Here: Poems

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  53 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Disquieting new work from the winner of the 2001 Stan and Tom Wick Poetry Prize.
Absence and trespass permeate these poems, in which what has just occurred--or what is about to--is as palpable and ominous as it is unrevealed. In Kate Northrop's finely-wrought verse, children have gone missing, sealed-off passages are discovered, and missing dogs emerge like visions before
Published April 30th 2007 by Persea Books

To ask other readers questions about Things Are Disappearing Here, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Things Are Disappearing Here

Amy Talluto
I met this poet, Kate, at my artist residency in Wyoming this year. This collection is eerie and haunting, exploring themes of loneliness in the midst of crowded city apartment buildings or suburban sprawl, a longing for a connection to the natural world, and dogs who appear to break free of humanity and move forward of their own wills. There is also a terrifying poem called the countess which deals with a woman whose true history and abominable acts inspired the Dracula stories.
PIcked it up at random at a second hand book store. Didn't regret a second of it.**

I spent most of the time thinking there was something missing in a lot of the poems. Probably I'm just broken inside.

This is lovely.

(Experience somewhat lessened by the utterly moronic annotations of the previous owner.)
A really excellent collection. Her voice seemed quite fresh to me. Not feeling particularly verbose today, but this one is well worth checking out.
Not bad. I liked her first collection (Back Through Interruption) better, this one seemed a little like more of the same subject, same writing, less fresh.
Apr 06, 2008 Jennifer marked it as could-not-finish
Well, I just don't like this poetry style, though others would, I'm sure. Choppy, interruptive phrases. Just not my thing!
was kind of blown away by this book...some really terrifying and haunting poems in here
Saw her at a reading at UWG...enjoyed her book even more afterwards.
really beautiful book
Alyssa added it
Aug 05, 2015
tee marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2015
Lux marked it as to-read
May 31, 2015
Terry Everett
Terry Everett marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2015
levi young ringener
levi young ringener marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2014
Charles marked it as to-read
May 01, 2014
Emily marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2014
Bee marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Back Through Interruption: Poems Clean Shades of White Through Which Footsteps Back Through Interruption