Start by marking “Mutation” as Want to Read:
Mutation

Mutation

3.77  ·  Rating Details  ·  6,135 Ratings  ·  157 Reviews
This is the default conversion keynote text and should be changed. About The Author: A bestselling author for many years, Dr. Robin Cook has written twenty-four previous novels. He is currently on leave from the Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary, and lives and works in Florida.
Paperback
Published August 24th 1990 by Pan Macmillan (first published 1989)

Roberta
Feb 10, 2016 Roberta rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tutto-cook
Robin Cook is a staple in my library. Once again he delivered an engaging thriller with a touch of medical drama that entertained me for a couple of days.
This book could be a retelling of Frankenstein, if you like: a doctor is playing with genes instead of body parts, but the outcome is the same: a creature that will turn against the creator. Victor, the father, engineers a son with a higher than average intelligence. Much higher: sometimes he refers to his son’s IQ as a two-Einstein IQ. The mo
Chris
"Somehow she would have to face this last demon child, and with Joe's help, end forever the nightmare that her husband had begun."

These were the words of Marsha Frank, thinking of the experiment that her husband, Frank, had done at his laboratory, that had caused her son, along with several other children to become geniuses. Unfortunately, this also caused them to become so smart that the children were able to realize how much they could accomplish, and they would take out anybody who tried to g
Jan 08, 2011 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beefjello
Dec 21, 2007 Beefjello rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Nobody
I released this book in to the wild via bookcrossing.com and here was my review of this turd from back then:

6/9/2003 I have read the first two chapters and thus far am not impressed. Apparently Larry King has said, "Holds you page after page!" Yes...he really did use an exclamation point; screaming about the book's hold on the reader. What a freakshow.

My problem is that Robin Cook uses too many "had had"'s (e.g. pg. 5 "If he had had such experience...", pg. 7 "...her Doctor had had to perform...
Edmund Leow
It was a thrilling read and I finished the book in half a week. It was the classic message of science vs ethics. However, the plot was a little too predictable and I did not like the ending. VJ was called a monster a lot towards the end of the book. Maybe he was a monster in 1987 back when the book was written, but by today's standards, he will probably just be called an unethical (young) scientist.

Some food for thought by VJ:
"Morality cannot rule science because morality is relative and theref
R.S. Jinks
Aug 13, 2014 R.S. Jinks rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book gets started very quickly. In no time at all the suspense was cranked up to the upper limits and I was incapable of putting this oldie but goodie down. This is the first Robin Cook novel I've read, but it certainly won't be the last.
Ashlan
Dec 22, 2007 Ashlan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone especially scientists and medical doctors
well, to put it in succint way, the book is like modern day Frankenstien novel. As usual, Robin Cook grapped the hearts of his reader with this book. It's medical thriller as Robin Cook does best.But the only flaw I could find about this book is that you could guess quite easily who's the villain as least that was what happended to me. But, it's my favourite thriller novel despite the fact that I could predict who's the villain was and if you want to know more you should go and find out about yo ...more
Tabitha
Jan 18, 2016 Tabitha rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I could list all the flaws in this book one by one, but really, I gave it two stars. I'm not spending two hours reviewing it. Plus it can truly be summed up in a few basic points:

• The writing is beyond cringe-worthy and I would have likely enjoyed this book a lot more as a teenager. You know, before I'd read hundreds of other properly written books. There are also enough exclamation points in this book to choke a hippo.

• The dialogue is ridiculous. No one speaks that way. Just some more to cri
Rowena
Jul 19, 2007 Rowena rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I believe this was one of the first adult books I read. I read this at about age 11 or so and I remember it gave me nightmares for a long time. The son's eerie deadness and the dad's complete disregard of his son's freakishness troubled me for weeks. I think my parents were so proud of the fact that I was reading "adult" books that they didn't stop to think that they should restrict certain authors..RC has the horror aspect down pat in this novel coupled with succinct and absorbing writing.
Marcela Salamanca
Feb 13, 2014 Marcela Salamanca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Robin Cook en su libro promete darnos una visión acerca de las consecuencias que acarrean los excesos en las ciencias, más exactamente la biotecnología. En ese sentido, se cumple la promesa y nos ofrece un repertorio de datos y elementos que corresponden a la ciencia [o al menos, aquellos que no somos expertos en la materia nos parecerá así].

Junto a eso, el libro se construye amparado por argumento de la obra, ya que la redacción no es alucinantes e incluso, se pueden notar ciertos aspectos, lín
Elusive
Dec 18, 2015 Elusive rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review
In ‘Mutation’, unbeknownst to his wife Marsha, Dr. Victor carries out an experiment in order to produce an exceptionally intelligent child. However, he gets more than he bargained for when their son, Victor Junior (VJ) turns out to be completely different from other kids and poses danger to everyone around him.

Despite the interesting storyline and the myriad of directions this story could have taken, I found ‘Mutation’ to be a major letdown for several reasons. The characters were one-dimensiona
LittleMissBookworm
Was wohl passiert, wenn der Mensch versucht der Natur ins Handwerk zu pfuschen? Hier ist Robin Cooks grauenvolle Antwort auf diese Frage.

Victor und Marsha können auf natürlichem Weg keine Kinder mehr bekommen. Praktischerweise ist Victor Gentechnologe und kann sich somit selbst helfen, doch er kann der Versuchung ein perfektes Kind zu haben nicht widerstehen. Je mehr Zeit vergeht, desto weniger lassen sich aber die fatalen Folgen seiner Genmanipulation leugnen...

Obwohl ich dieses Buch oft vorher
Rita
Jun 28, 2015 Rita rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story starts off sloooow. The book reads like a movie and would be a great movie, if there already isn't one. It seemed familiar. The concept isn't unique. As for the story, there's way too much description making the development of plot, characters, settings, etc tiresome. But the story picks up about halfway through and then, it may not have you on the edge of the seat, but it does a fine job of grabbing your interest! I liked the ending although there's no surprise. No spoiler here!
Monica Chin
Apr 06, 2010 Monica Chin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bbabri
Sep 08, 2013 Bbabri rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ez beteg.
Ez volt az első gondolatom erről a könyvről. Ez volt a második Cook könyvem, az első teljesen elvarázsolt, de ezzel nagyon meg kellett küzdenem.
Olvastam pár fejezetet, utána letettem, és órák múlva kezdtem neki megint, és ez így folytatódott, míg be nem fejeztem a könyvet.
A történet elég jó, bár megdöbbentem azon, hogy Marsha és Viktor annak ellenére, hogy az egyik pszichológus a másik meg tudós, mennyire is hülyék.
Viktor már a könyv elején unszimpatikus volt, és végig az is marad. Hogy
Andreia Silva
Acabei de virar a última página do livro, na esperança de que não fosse a última. Mas, infelizmente, a história acabava ali. Acabei o livro com os olhos colados às letras e o coração a bombear. Sr. Robin Cook, acha bem depois de escrever aquela última revelação, acabar assim com a história? Fica-se assim com o suspense e o mistério no ar. Mas eu acho que é por isso que o livro é tão bom e nos prende tanto, literalmente até à última linha. Toda a história é muito bem escrita. É um policial médico ...more
Rucha
This book reveals the ethics of genetic engineering.

Victor Frank and his wife Marsha took help of surrogate mother to get their child VJ, who is abnormally genius, his genius being a result of his experiments.

Victor, a biologist and owner of the biochemical company Chimera Inc., injects the egg implanted in his wife with an agent called Nerve Growth Factor (NGF) into chromosome six, which causes the baby to grow more neurons than usual, as a result making them super intelligent. Their son, VJ,
Kevin Kraft
This is the very first Robin Cook novel, solidifying my admiration for the author. So well written, it became an example I sought to emulate. Effective writing, writing that keep the reader rushing back to see what happens next. THAT is what I aspire to as a novelist, and I think Mr. Cook has taught me well with this work. I have read MUTATION several times.
Casey
Feb 24, 2015 Casey rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not a book I would normally pick up to read, but my dad gave it to me after he finished it and told me it was pretty good. I put it off for the longest time, but needed a break from non-fiction. The writing is stiff and very - "He did this. She did this. Then, they did this." - but it was an interesting story involving the creepy child trope and gene therapy.
Delicious Strawberry
Having read several books by Robin Cook, this one wasn't half-bad. There are cheesy moments, such as the fact that VJ was able to hire what is basically a Latino mafia to guard his work, and the fact that he has been doing this for years undetected (keep in mind that VJ is prepubescent!) I found the idea a bit preposterous, and wish that Robin Cook had focused on other parts of the story. This story is not without its good parts, but as with his other works that I have read, sometimes he veers i ...more
Elizabeth
Good book, would definitely recommend it. I was able to guess alot of the "surprises" but there were some twists that were completely unpredictable. Cook does a great job of describing a science that can be a very hard thing to understand and putting it in terms that everyone can understand. It still might be difficult for those who do not have a background in science to understand. If you can look past those parts and just enjoy the book for what it is then you will have no problem enjoying the ...more
Ежко Таралежко
Отдавна ми трябваше такава книга - интересен и добре написан медицински трилър с малко фантастични елементи.
В кратце, книгата е съвременна версия на Франкенщайн - добре познатата история за отдадения учен, който в стремежа си да създаде чудо, става родител на чудовище. В този случай - с неизмеримо висок интелект.
Kalyrohey
Sep 06, 2015 Kalyrohey rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
Un roman dans lequel j'ai eu beaucoup de mal à m'investir. L'idée de base est très intéressante, mais les personnages oscillent entre stupidité et ridicule, VJ n'est pas crédible une seconde... et puis qu'est-ce que c'est mal traduit ! Ma lecture a fini par devenir un exercice de traductologie. Dommage.
Maya
Apr 11, 2014 Maya rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a freaky book! I loved the setting, and the characters. I was really rooting for Marcia and Victor. I don't want to spoil anything, so I won't go into great detail, but the whole thing was crazy and thought provoking! It got very scientific at times, but the story was easy to follow and riveting!
Arlingtontexican
Aug 12, 2015 Arlingtontexican rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book withstood the test of time. The science is not at all offensive. It is a good story. Robin Cook is a good writer. I need to read more of his books. You need to read this book. You know I'm a sucker for laboratories. And I went gaga because this one has a secret laboratory.
Lolapaige
Nov 12, 2014 Lolapaige rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not my usual choice but I gave it a chance and have to say I was impressed. All the science chatter bogged me down here and there but for the most part it was fast paced and interesting. I finished it in one day because I couldn't put it down.
Sandra Knapp
Mar 25, 2012 Sandra Knapp rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I vaguely remember reading this book many years ago, but it had to have been a really long time, because I remembered none of it as I read it, it was just that the title sounded familiar, and I know I've read other books by Robin Cook in the past. Still, I thoroughly enjoyed this story, and actually found myself getting frustrated because I could not read fast enough. The story grabbed my imagination from the first page and then dragged me to the end, barely able to catch my breath. There is als ...more
Rohit P. Enghakat
Strictly ok ...The plot is a bit far fetched with a 10 year old boy created by a doctor who turns out to be super intelligent frankenstein. What the hell ! this is just a fiction and to be taken as it is written. After all, a fiction is just that, a fiction!
Sherryl Gibbs
This book was ok. A little predictable but still enjoyed it for what it was worth. Robin Cook always makes you think about the extended medical issues so I really enjoyed that part.
What's The Name o...: SOLVED. Frankenstein thriller about genetics [s] 6 39 Jun 30, 2014 03:16AM
  • Miracle Cure
  • In the Shadow of Evil: The Handkerchief (Blackstone Chronicles, #4)
  • Mutant (Dr. Richard Steele, #1)
  • TekWar (TekWar, #1)
  • Carriers
19697
Librarian Note: Not to be confused with British novelist Robin Cook a pseudonym of Robert William Arthur Cook.

Dr. Robin Cook (born May 4, 1940 in New York City, New York) is an American doctor / novelist who writes about medicine and topics affecting public health.

He is best known for being the author who combined medical writing with the thriller genre of writing. Several of his books have been b
More about Robin Cook...

“A investigação podia dar esperanças para o futuro, curando as doenças... mas tinha um outro potencial muito mais perturbador.” 1 likes