Night Of The Wolf

Night Of The Wolf (Legends of the Wolf #2)

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  1,305 ratings  ·  45 reviews
The Silver Wolf, Alice Borchardt's acclaimed novel of a shapeshifter's struggle to survive as woman and wolf amid the Dark Ages, announced the arrival of a ferociously gifted writer. Now, with her masterful weaving of adventure, history, and magic, Borchardt delves deeper into the shape-shifter legend, and brings an earlier, more savage time brilliantly to life.

The fearsom...more
Paperback
Published June 5th 2000 by Voyager (first published January 1st 1999)

Forgotten Realms Queen
Not at all what I was expecting. Slower than the second one and more confusing. No clear explination on how the wolf is first transformed into a man. Most of this book was veiled in reference and the metaphorical than actual facts so that was frustrating.

Hard to get through, I really had to force it in the begining, althought towards the middle end of the book it did get better. Not was good as the next one, but despite the rocky start it was ok.

I hope the third one is better, although to be hon...more
Merredith
This is labeled second in the Legends of the Wolf series. I read the first one back in 2009 and enjoyed it and just got around to reading the next one. For at least half, i was so confused! At first i thought well is that because it's been years since i read the other? But finally i realized, this is a PREQUEL! Oooh! This story shows us when Maniel the wolf starts to get kind of a slightly human awareness. However, this is no werewolf story. He is a wolf first. A wolf that can change into human...more
Cideon
Sep 05, 2009 Cideon rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: werewolf lovers, romance readers
A lot of people seemed to prefer "The Silver Wolf" to this book. I'm not sure which I liked best myself though. The first was fascinating in that you want Regeane to be all right, when she had so many problems. For this one, you want to follow along with Maeniel the same way, but other characters (though eventually important) have a LOT of story in here. And yet, sometimes it doesn't seem enough.

I had hoped for much more of Maeniel, but what I got was still good. The reason he thinks as he thin...more
Silver
In comparison with the first book I have to say I found this book a bit disappointing. It did not quite live up to my expectation. I think part of the problem was the fact that the first book had ended upon such a high and suspenseful note I was in anticipation to see what would happen next, only to find that this book was not a continuation of the first but more of a prequel going back in time.

At the onset I did not find this book to be as captivating as the first, and to me it did not seem as...more
Starling
I've enjoyed Alice Borchardt's books every time I've read them. She writes interesting stories. She also gets the history right, and I like that too.

Her paranormal world has werewolves in it. There are other things there too, but the only group we really get to know are the werewolves. In this book there is just one werewolf, learning how to be a man. He has spent most of his life as a wolf living with wolves, mostly as their leader. We never find out where he came from. And we never meet any ot...more
Cameron
While I recall the first of this series thrilling me with its Roman historicity and intrigue, I am left wondering if I enjoyed it so much because it was several years ago and my reading tastes were not nearly as refined, nor my sense of literary excellence so sharply honed. Borchardt really shares quite a lot with her sister Anne Rice in regards to style, meaning she tends toward the overwrought and over done. I wanted more from her characters, was rather bored with the usage of Caesar as a char...more
Hirondelle
Claire
There really is such a thing as too much detail. I remember Enjoying The Silver Wolf but honestly I'm really not sure what went wrong with this one. Maeniel (our intended/supposed protagonist) ended up in the background a lot past the halfway point, plot-lines were rushed or ended in an unsatisfactory fashion and the author spent far too much time showing off how many different flowers, colours and foods she knows, as well as overly decorative ways to describe physical intimacy. I felt like my t...more
Delicious Strawberry
I have to say though that I was NOT happy with how this begun. Silver Wolf started off in a mysterious but coherent way - all the essential knowledge was revealed quickly enough, but for this one, the beginning was just confusing. The tale of Maeniel itself is interesting, as it shows how he became what he is and his learning how to be human, but compared to TSW, this book was lacking. Some of the characters were interesting, but the story itself felt rather disjointed, with various characters p...more
Jay
This was a good book very well written although I was a little disappointed because after reading book 1 I was expecting something different although it was good getting a back story on Maniel in my opinion it was as good as book 1. But it was a good mix of history and myth the author is very creative
Pyol Starrick
As the book previous Alice Borchardt continues a wonderful writing style with a dynamic plot.
♆ BookAddict ~ La Crimson Femme
This one was a bit harder for me to get through since it was overwheling with details. What I did like about this story is that it isn't a human into wolf but the other way around. This isn't something we see a lot of. I like how we are learning about Maniel's change from wolf to human. This is very well done and I wonder how long Ms. Borchardt had to research wolves and wolf behaviour. As a wolf lover, I've read many different articles and watched documentaries on wolves. This seemed pretty clo...more
Alison
I am really taken be Borchardt's writing style and wish I would have found her sooner. The older sister of Anne Rice, Borchardt grew up creating stories with Anne and her creativity and fluidity of story-telling shows.
In this novel I enjoyed getting to know Maeniel and his begginings, as well as experiencing the historical era when Caesar ruled. The cast of characters was colorful, brutal, and magical.
I look forward to delving into The Wolf King very soon.
Meghan White
Anne Rice's late sister specialized in werewolves, where her more famous sibling once specialized in vampires. These books are all very well done, and provide a unique look into what life might have been like in ancient Rome for werewolves. I don't know my history as well as I might like, but I can envision every scene with crystal clear perfection. Her descriptions provide perfect pictures, and even go so far as to make me hungry while reading!
Juliette
I struggled between giving this book 2 stars or 3. I finally ended up giving it a 2 because it really was awful and the only reason I considered giving a 3 was because it had a werewolf in it.
It took me a week to get through the first 25 pages, the author constantly changed point of view and I even fell asleep reading this book.
Halfway through it got a little better, but am still leary about reading anything else written by this author.
Keri
OMG! This has GOT to be the most dull and boring book I think I've ever read. It was awful. I'm one of those people that has to finish a book once I start it though in case it gets better and I chance on missing out.....yeah, that so didn't happen in this book....didn't miss out on anything. I've not read the 1st book in the series, and won't. If this book is any indication of what the other books are like in the series...not interested,
Kristina Jo
I read this book first, despite the fact that it's second, because I inferred from the jacket blurb-thing that it occurred first chronologically. And I really liked it. I'm kind of fuzzy on the details now, but it know I liked it, because I just read the first one, which has been on my list for, like, months. So now I just have to decide if I want to read it again before I go on the #3, or if I'm content with my fuzzy-but-good memories of it.
T.W. Fendley
Interesting ... more a shapeshifting book interwoven with Celtic/Amazonian mythology than a traditional werewolf book. I found the writing hard to follow at first, with lots of POV shifts and jumps between the past and present. Either that smoothed out or I got used to it as the book progressed and I became more familiar with the world and characters. I'll have to pick up Silver Wolf one of these days to see what happens next...
Majo Ruiz
I just really like the way this books were written. Alice Borchardt was so careful and detailed, describing everything so nicely, is a good introduction to Maeniel and that's why I'd recommend to read this first and then The Silver Wolf (because the first ends in such a high note and this one is more of a bio, that way you won't be disappointed when you realize this one doesn't follow the time line of the first book)
Deirdre
Having liked the first book in this series I really did want to like this one but it just didn't work for me. I found it quite hard to finish reading it.

I mean, this story should have been perfect for me, a story of werewolves in classical Rome with fun intrigue and paranormal elements. It ambled to the story and just seemed to need some serious editing to be a good story.
Jeanette
I honestly trudge through around 60 pages before I finally admitted defeat. Maybe if I were made of a stronger spirit and trudge on further the story would have made some sort of sense. Too many characters and too many things going on. Too much description. My brain now hurts. I think it is time for a nap.
Lori
I read this one before I read the first book in the series, and I think it was better than the first. There are some conflicting historical aspects between the two, but they're fun and I love me a trashy werewolf book. This one isn't trashy though, it's a classy trashy werewolf book. There is lots of boning.
Julie
I remember buying this book just for the cover. Sometimes that happens. Alice Borchardt is Anne Rice's sister, and her wolves are just as sensuous as Rice's vampires. Even more so. Particularly Maeniel. Reading it again, now, i am remembering why i liked it so much the first time. :)
David Fournier
Excelent historical fiction. I would have given it five stars if there had been more action and shapeshifting. Like her sister (Ann Rice) Alice is an excelent story teller. She made you really feel and care for the protagonist and really hate the antagonist in this story.
Rachel
Jan 11, 2008 Rachel marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I started this a few times and set it down- unlike her first (and best) novel, the Silver Wolf, Night of the Wolf is just too self-indulgent and dull for me. I'll read it eventually because I like Manael, the protagonist (who appears in the Silver Wolf).
Jeanna
This book felt a bit long winded to me and I didn't enjoy it nearly as much as the first in the series. The politics and intrigue in the book seemed excessive; coupled with the extensive descriptions, the book bored me occassionally.
Ashley Betteridge
There were a lot of details in this group of books but overall the characters were pretty interesting to get to know. It's not one of my favorite books but I did enjoy reading it as well as other books by this author.
Sara
I think I started reading this last fall and I had to put it aside for a few months. Finally finished it-once I got past the first half (very slow), it was easier to read. Not as good as the first book in the series.
Marjorie
This should have been the first book. It was good, and I love Alice's writing style.., but this was not one of my favs. And I forgot that I had read it before!!!! That goodness for goodreads!
Maya
Much of what is said in the summary is true, except for the romance and steamy sex. The story is very mach a historical novel with well known characters like Caesar and Cleopatra.
  • The Dragon of Despair (Firekeeper Saga, #3)
  • The Passion (Devoncroix Dynasty, #1)
  • Touch of the Wolf (Historical Werewolf, #1)
  • The Lure of the Wolf (Shadowmen #2)
  • The Vampire's Kiss (Savannah Vampire, #3)
  • Wolf's Cross (Wolfbreed, #2)
  • Shadow Leader (Wolfwalker, #2)
  • Scarlet (Dead World, #2)
  • Vampire Sheikh (Immortal Sheikhs #3)
  • Ratha and Thistle-Chaser (The Named, #3)
  • The House of Gaian (Tir Alainn, #3)
  • Prey (The Wereling, #2)
Alice O'Brien was born on 6 October 1939 in New Orleans, Louisiana, USA. She was one of five sister of Katherine "Kay" Allen and Howard O'Brien. The O'Brien family moved to Richardson, Texas, when Alice was a teenager. She began her nursing career in Houston, where she met and married her husband, Clifford Borchardt. After a 30-year career as a licensed vocational nurse, Borchardt faced staff redu...more
More about Alice Borchardt...
The Silver Wolf (Legends of the Wolf #1) The Dragon Queen (Tales of Guinevere, #1) The Wolf King (Legends of the Wolf #3) The Raven Warrior (Tales of Guinevere, #2) Devoted (Devoted, #1)