Start by marking “Mercenary (Bio of a Space Tyrant, #2)” as Want to Read:
Mercenary (Bio of a Space Tyrant, #2)

Mercenary (Bio of a Space Tyrant #2)

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  2,563 ratings  ·  42 reviews
This is the second in the series BIO OF A SPACE TYRANT, featuring the stages in the life of Hope Hubris, the Tyrant of Jupiter, and his beloved sister Spirit.

Fired by raw courage, steeled by young might, he rose in the Navy of Jupiter to command a personal squadron loyal to the death. And it was death they faced - against piratical warlords of the Jupiter Ecliptic who lau
Published June 15th 1984 by Xlibris Corporation (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about Mercenary, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mercenary

Monique
I would give this book 1.5 out of 5 stars (with 1 being the book was so terrible I couldn't finish it). I would give this book 0.5 stars if I could (but Goodreads doesn't allow it).

The novel takes place right after Refugee. Hope has his ID stolen so the only work he can find is as a plant harvester. He gets introduced into a friendly, family-oriented friendship that he eventually takes with him when he is forced to join the Navy. While in the Navy he finds his sister who joins him in the Navy.
Dave
It took me several decades to track this book down and I'm glad, in hindsight, that I read it as an adult and not as an impressionable teenager. This is the second volume in Piers Anthony's "bio of a space tyrant" books, documenting the rise of Hope Hubris from penniless refugee to becoming the great tyrant of Jupiter. The style of these books is akin to the Master and Commander style nautical epics but in space.

As in the previous book there are space pirates with an unquenchable lust for savag
Sherrill Watson
Written in 1984 by Piers Anthony Jacob. How Hope Hubris (a man) became a Captain in the Navy; covers time from his age 15 to 25(?). Carefully crafted book so as to not alienate minorities.

Hope has two characteristics that are unique. One, that he can tell when someone is lying, and assess their characteristics like Sherlock Holmes, if he focuses on it. Two, he is not, or cannot be subject to any addictions.

He is led by QVD (whatever that is, we don't find out) through promotion after promotion
William Bentrim
Bio of a Space Tyrant Refugee Vol.1 and Mercenary Vol. 2 by Pierce Anthony

Volume 1 details how Hope Hubris reaches Jupiter and the horrific conditions he faced on getting there. Volume 2 details the rise of Hope Hubris in the Jupiter Navy and his campaign against the asteroid belt pirates. The books purpose to be the biography of the tyrant of Jupiter. It is written in almost a text book style.

I have mixed feelings about the book. Anthony seemed intent on providing a sense of normalcy for all
David Sarkies
This is the second of the Bio of a Space Tyrant series and has the protagonist, Hope Hubris, in the Jupiter Navy attempting to destroy the space pirates that haunt the Asteroid Belt. This is probably a logical follow on from the first book in that in the first book he had a lot of trouble with constantly being raided by space pirates as he and his family attempted to flee the moons of Jupiter to find a better life on the planet. However it seems that as soon as he arrives on Jupiter he is sudde ...more
Jack
See my review of Book 1.

The notes I had on this book stated that I bought Book 1, 2 & 3 with money I received for my 40th birthday. I bought them for $1.75 each. *chuckles*

In this book, Hope Hubris and his sister, Spirit, join the Space Navy and rises up the ranks as they both go after the space Pirates that killed their friends and family members. He becomes ruthless, efficient and cold. But he also sees injustice within the system he's embraced. As a "hero" he now turns toward politics to
Darien Felldrake
The rape kinda got out of control. An entire culture where wedding rituals are based on simulated or actual rape seems...divested from reality. Pages could be written on the attitudes the female leads and pirate women have on this practice, but I'm too lazy. A bit more racist and misogynistic than the last one, too.
Buggz79
After the utter grimness of the first book, refugee, we pick up on Hope Hubris's tale of galatical domination.

I liked this book. Some of the scenarios and their resulting solutions were quite novel.
Greg
First off the whine... Again the Kindle edition needed a proof reading pass. Instead of hyphens being the issue, this time it was line breaks, where a line would break early
and then continue on the next line. Not a big thing but jarring when you're reading it.

Like the others, this is my 4th'ish reading of this book and I still enjoy it. This one grabs me because of my Army experience. Sure I kind of doubt they would have the same structure (S1, S2, etc) in the future, but it still struck a cord
Stephen
Much better than the first instalment!

Without wanting to give too much away and then mark this as a hidden review, this story reminded me of the earlier books in the Honor Harrington series by David Webber. Fans of that saga could dive straight into this and enjoy the story even without reading part one.

There is lots going on in this one. Varied and diverse sub plots while keeping the flow of the story moving along nicely. The only criticism I have is that it ended too abruptly. Maybe I just ne
Brandon
I really enjoy this series, but the sex in this book is off putting and only continues to worsen through the series. Still a good read
Leanna Aker
This is a great, interesting 2nd volume in the Bio of a Space Tyrant series. I've always liked Piers Anthony, but tend to like his sci fi better than his fantasy works. Hope Hubris, in the first book, fled his homeland and watched his family brutally murdered (well, most of them).

This book details his rising up through the ranks of the Jupiter Navy, a meteoric rise, to say the least. This book is riveting, and easy to read. A real gem!
Jay
Something of a guilty pleasure. I liked the protagonist's Navy adventures in terms of forming a team and advancing in rank, and mapping 1980s geopolitics to the solar system was kind of fun. However, the attitude towards sex was groan-worthy, the science was pretty bad, and describing space battles as exactly corresponding to ancient battles didn't really work for me. Liked this book as a teen, but the shiny has faded a bit since then.
Otto
The first book in the series is the story of a space ship full of refugees, and all the horrible things that happen to them along the way. It is a collection of non-stop brutalities and tragedies that are meant to set the tone of the universe in which the rest of the series is set. Full of sex and violence. Pulpish but enjoyable. Heavy handed allusions to historical situations abound.
Simon
Continuing to re-read this series I read when I was at school. I remember them being brilliant, but on revisit.... yeah, what is it with Piers Anthony and rape? The first book was basically rape-rape-rape-rape-rape-murder-rape. At least the second book has stepped away from the rape a bit, but ye gods, he's still obsessed with the topic.
Nicole
Not bad overall, definitely not for the gentle minded as there are several disturbing portions of the book including rape and the senseless murder of a toddler boy.

I had a little trouble relating to the mentality of the protagonist but I have to admit, I have never been a confused teenaged boy.
Tim Greaton
I loved this entire series and reread it several times, though not in the last decade. My next reread, I will provide a detailed review. The evolution of the character and of the political changes he accomplishes are so beautifully modeled after the very problems we wrestle with on Earth each day.
Bryan457
Hope works his way up in the Jupiter military, with the goal of destroying the pirates in the solar system.
This is my favorite of the series.

I give it an R rating for the amount of sex in it.
Mykl
This book follows Hope as he progresses in the military. I enjoyed watching the team that he assembles and how cohesion is built. The plot regarding QFY progresses as well.......
Kate
Another re-read. I still enjoy this series but had forgotten how much it dwelt on sex and rape. Could be quite triggery. Trying to remember what book 3 holds...
Sean Randall
As gripping an instalment as the first, although the sex does seem somewhat overbearing. Still, the political climate and the military stuff is pretty good.
Sherri
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Roxanne
Feb 28, 2008 Roxanne marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I have not read this book because I am trying to find the first in the series, and once I do I will beging reading through the books.
Shane
I really enjoyed this one. The first book was so depressing. It was great to see Hope climbing the military ladder against all odds.
Mikey Pietrzak
I liked it a lot better than the first, a lot of ass-kicking here, reminds me of ender's game. not as good tho, but fun.
Magda
I used to really like this series. Now I just want to read Lois McMaster Bujold about Miles Vorkosigan.
Dev
A series of galactic intrigue filled with sex, adventure, more sex, and some nice plot twists.
Anne
Currently hooked on this dippy series. Space Pirates! Need I say more?
Jonathan
Retelling of various historic military engagements in the guise of an sf story.
  • The Court of a Thousand Suns (Sten, #3)
  • The Deluge Drivers (Icerigger, #3)
  • The Warrior
  • Charon: A Dragon at the Gate (The Four Lords of the Diamond, #3)
  • Bolo Brigade (Bolo, #4)
  • Way of the Clans (Legend of the Jade Phoenix Trilogy, #1)
  • Night of Power
  • The Stars at War II (Starfire, #1,4)
  • Cloud Warrior (Amtrak Wars, #1)

Piers is a self-proclaimed environm
More about Piers Anthony...

Bio of a Space Tyrant (6 books)
  • Refugee (Bio of a Space Tyrant, #1)
  • Politician (Bio of a Space Tyrant, #3)
  • Executive (Bio of a Space Tyrant, #4)
  • Statesman (Bio of a Space Tyrant, #5)
  • The Iron Maiden (Bio of a Space Tyrant, #6)
On a Pale Horse (Incarnations of Immortality, #1) A Spell for Chameleon (Xanth, #1) Castle Roogna (Xanth, #3) Bearing An Hourglass (Incarnations of Immortality, #2) The Source of Magic (Xanth, #2)