Start by marking “Carson of Venus (Venus, #3)” as Want to Read:
Carson of Venus (Venus, #3)

Carson of Venus (Venus #3)

Edgar Rice Burroughs. Carson of Venus.

312 pages plus list of author's works. With six inserted plates illustrated by John Coleman Burroughs. Publisher's blue cloth with red titles on the spine and front board.

Original pictorial dust jacket by John Coleman Burroughs
Published October 1st 1981 by Ace (first published 1939)

To ask other readers questions about Carson of Venus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Carson of Venus

Johnny
Jun 03, 2012 Johnny rated it liked it
Consonant with stories written to be produced in serial form, Edgar Rice Burroughs’ “Venus” series is predictable and, at times, inflated to meet the word counts and expectations of its original venue. Most people know this series as the inferior clone to the John Carter of Mars body of work and, as accurate as that assessment is, the stories have their own charm. One knows, as surely as a princess will need to be rescued in an early Nintendo game, a princess will need to be rescued in each of t ...more
Leothefox
Sep 08, 2016 Leothefox rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was wonderful, in many ways this is perhaps the best entry yet in the Amtor series! Although it builds slowly, “Carson of Venus” actually rises to a high rarely seen in Burroughs' work outside of the early Barsoom books.

Written after a 5 year gap, this entry differs in many ways from the first two entries. Little is wasted and human villainy drives the story. A lot of good solid plot is squeezed into this, and the meandering world-building of the second book is laid aside in favor of sus
John Keller
Mar 22, 2012 John Keller rated it really liked it
This is the first of Burrough's Venus series that I have read. It is clearly written for young readers. The Author does a very good job of keeping it interesting and moving compared to the John Carter books. There is less reliance on coincidence and more focus on the hero responding to mistakes. It makes the story feel more real. Ah, if Venus and Mars were as he presented them...
David Bonesteel
Jun 12, 2013 David Bonesteel rated it really liked it
Carson Napier and his beloved Duare, princess of Vepaja, are still searching for a place where they can live in peace. They think they find such a place in the city of Sanara, which is under siege by the Zani. Complications arise as the traitorous ruler of Sanara sends Carson on a secret mission to the rival city of Amlot, supposedly on a vital mission but in reality to get him out of the way so that he can claim the lovely Duare.

Edgar Rice Burroughs satirizes the Nazis (rearrange the letters in
David B
Aug 09, 2014 David B rated it really liked it

Edgar Rice Burroughs satirizes the Nazis (rearrange the letters in
Jeff Stockett
May 09, 2014 Jeff Stockett rated it really liked it
The third installment in the adventures of Carson Napier on Venus is very much like the first two. We still have Duare in constant need of rescue. We still have pirates. We still have strange creatures. (My favorite was the giant 3 eyed fish that uses its third eye like a periscope.)

This one is unique in that Carson is searching for a safe place to call home with his beloved partner. It's interesting that the previous book ended with them setting out to search for Duare's home kingdom of Vepaja,
Andy
Oct 04, 2014 Andy rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Another rip-roaring adventure with Carson Of Venus and the love of his life, Duare. If you've read the previous books in Edgar Rice Burroughs' Venus series, then it's more of the same. Carson and Duare are flying their plane in search of somewhere that they can call home. Of course, along the way Duare gets captured and it's up to Carson to rescue her. They eventually make it to the city of Sanara, which is under seige from the Zani. The main part of the story has Carson on a secret mission from ...more
Nicholas Hansen
Oct 09, 2010 Nicholas Hansen rated it it was amazing
I love stories where there is a charismatic and brave hero who needs to rescue a princess to win the fair damsels heart. This is all this book really is. The girl gets kidnapped, a lot, and Carson saves her.
If you dig the archetype then you should read it, if not, I'd not waist my time on old science fiction.

(This is the same thing that I wrote for the last addition to the series because the next book was really just more of the same. Same hero, same princess, she gets kidnapped, and he save
Ailish
Oct 01, 2011 Ailish rated it it was amazing
Lots of fun. Carson has to rescue his heroine a lot, but she is also a competent girl who gets to fly the plane and be involved in the adventures unlike Dejah Thoris in the Barsoom series who, after the first book, basically ends up being kidnapped and rescued a lot, and calling the hero 'my chieftain!'
Jon
1939 Retro Hugo Nominee for Best Novel

Not as good as other novels I've read by Burroughs.
Alton Motobu
Mar 01, 2017 Alton Motobu rated it it was ok
Pure escapist fantasy for light reading; takes place on Venus with three plot lines: (1) Amazon society where men are obsequious servants of women, (2) Nazi-like society with Hitler character named "Mephis" and (3) pirate adventure on the high seas. In the main plot about the Nazis (called "Zanis" in the story), Carson infiltrates the military and triggers a revolt among the anti-Nazis while he rescues a princess in distress and is decreed to be royalty upon victory. Not to be taken seriously; f ...more
Micahlibris
Oct 31, 2016 Micahlibris rated it it was ok
I thought I might enjoy Burroughs, but his ridiculous use of absurdly incoherent persons and place names was just too distracting.
Ronald
Sep 19, 2016 Ronald added it
read between summer 1970 & summer 1974
brook
Jun 27, 2016 brook rated it it was ok
2.5 stars, mostly due to repetition.

Reading Burroughs' Mars series, yeah, there is some repetition. These were meant to be action/adventure novels for male readers, and while there is some "deep" content in them, they're mostly swashbuckling and fantasy. With the Venus series, which was written later (the last series that he started/finished, if I recall), he's getting into the "cashing checks" phase of writing.

If you read the first two, you're going to read the second two, which is where I'm a
Leila Anani
Another rip-roaring pulp adventure from the master of the genre. Carter and Duare get caught up in a revolution as a weird cult try and take over a neighbouring city. Carter goes undercover and ends up working in a prison where he stumbles upon Duare's father in captivity. Disguises and double crosses abound. I much preferred this to the last installment as apart from his spacecraft, there's less science and more fighting/adventure. The Venus series as a whole feels like a watered down version o ...more
Eero
Mar 01, 2013 Eero rated it liked it
Shelves: free-ebook
The most interesting thing about this book is that it is a very obvious political satire about the Nazis and Hitler (Zanis and Mephis in the book). Of course, Pirates of Venus already had an analogue of communists (Thorists). Carson has to go undercover and pass as a Zani, so this is a kind of spy thriller.

Before these things happen, there is a passage with amazons and their effeminate men which reminded me of the similar, rather more offensive section of Tarzan and the Ant Men, which I read in
H. Dean
Sep 18, 2011 H. Dean rated it really liked it
One of the better written on Burroughs many novels. True to form, Burroughs sticks to his standard He-Man on an errant journey rescuing a beautiful woman who turns out to be the princess of her people shtick. It works well and for a purely fun series of adventures it is hugely enjoyable. One of the many aspects of this book I found to be quite fun was his formation of language of the native peoples of Venus.

As I mentioned before, this story is quite formulaic. Thus, it lacks any real depth. If y
Richard
Feb 06, 2016 Richard rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Aker's Dray Prescott
This book started much like the last in the series: Carson just cannot seem to keep Duare in his company. Perils abound, and Duare keeps getting herself captured and made a slave, snore. After about a third of the book my interest was piqed. Carson gets sent on a one way mission to the Zanis capital. Naturally he does what he always does and makes the best of any situation. Befriending the right people he gets commissioned as an officer in the Zanis ranks. So essential he becomes a spy that is ...more
Monty Ashley
May 14, 2014 Monty Ashley rated it it was ok
Carson was trying to fly a rocket ship to Mars, but he landed on Venus instead. Those planets are in different directions! I'm no astronavigator, but I feel like I'd know whether I was going closer to the sun or farther away.

Once he got there, he had adventures that are almost indistinguishable from what you'd get if you were running around in the jungle in an African adventure of the day. Carson is constantly dealing with the backwards tribes and so forth.

I wasn't into it. I kept wishing I was
Curtiss
Mar 24, 2008 Curtiss rated it liked it
The stories of Carson Napier's adventures on Earth's sister planet are essentially ERB engaging in self-parody of the superior Barsoom stories. These stories are not high art, or even good sci-fi/fantasy; but ERB's Venus stories are fairly good yarns with exotic Venusian locales, fantastic beasts, flamboyant damsels, dastardly villains, and cliff-hanging adventures in which the hero gets the girl and the bad guy meets his (or her) just deserts.

[See, even I can engage in self-parody - see my John
prcardi
Jun 02, 2015 prcardi rated it did not like it
Storyline: 2/5
Characters: 1/5
Writing Style: 2/5
World: 2/5

--Below information added approximately a year after original reading--

I do not know how to justify pulp science fiction. I cannot identify its merits. Burrough's contribution to literature seems to be that he sent the princess-saving-hero to another planet. Carson of Venus is one of the dime novels of the early science fiction era.
Adrienne Kern McClintock
I picked this up at a garage sale where somebody was selling a number of old classics. I figured I shouldn't let this one go! Recognizing the name from Tarzan, and seeing that it was written in the 1930's like some other books I've really enjoyed, I decided to give it a go.

After looking it up, I realize now that it's part of a longer series, but I'd already gotten a few chapters into it before looking it up. It can stand alone, it seems.
John
Jul 25, 2011 John rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2011
A real disappointment. I was trying to read an old paperback edition of this with tiny print, and just gave up after about 65 pages due to both eyestrain and boredom. Carson Napier just flies around Venus (or Amtor) in his airship and meets various people and gets involved in minor situations before moving on to the next. The book doesn't seem to have a real plot (yet). Maybe if I found a version of this with bigger print I'd be more willing to continue.
Jim
Oct 11, 2012 Jim rated it it was amazing
Shelves: jim-s
The Amtor (Venus)series is my second favorite series written by Edgar Rice Burroughs. I used to walk to Grand Central and gather bottles along the side of the road. I would be able to collect enough bottles and turn them in for the deposit for the next book in this (and all of his series)series of books!
Julio
Jul 13, 2013 Julio rated it liked it
Shelves: cf
Simpática aventura espacial, a la antigua usanza, imaginativa, ligera, dinámica y con un héroe astuto, valiente y siempre victorioso. Nada muy trascendental pero entretenido. Siendo la tercera historia de una serie que no leí, seguro que me perdí el hilo, pero es factible leerla sola. Referencias satíricas a los Nazis y su dictadura, por supuesto en otro planeta.
David Allen
Aug 14, 2009 David Allen rated it liked it
Third book in the series. As before, coincidences and lucky breaks abound -- ERB apparently wrote quickly and without much plotting -- but this is a fun read, and despite his haste he knows when to draw a scene out and when to compress a day's action into a paragraph if the details wouldn't advance the story.
Norman Cook
Jul 29, 2010 Norman Cook rated it really liked it
This is the best of the Venus series, so far. After a somewhat slow start with an adventure involving a conflict with a race where the women are rough and tough and the men are weak and wimpy (heaven forbid!), the bulk of the book is essentially an espionage thriller that is a lampoon of Nazi atrocities (the evil empire is even an anagram of Nazi, i.e., Zani).
Kat
Jul 14, 2014 Kat rated it did not like it
Got really bored really quickly. Moving on. Voting period is almost over.

Spoilery thoughts on all the 1939 Retro-Hugo nominated novels here:
Kent
Jun 03, 2015 Kent rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another good adventure story in the Venus series. Not too much to say about it. Hero trying to save his damsel in distress. Burroughs does that story in about every book. But it's still good for an easy read.
Arwen
Jul 19, 2012 Arwen rated it liked it
Duare seems to have a knack for getting kidnapped and putting Carson into dangerous situations. This one is very episodic. Which is probably because the stories were originally released that way in magazine. Luckily ERB keeps it wild and fun, so you can keep coming back for more.
  • Edgar Rice Burroughs : Master of Adventure
  • Lucky Starr and the Oceans of Venus (Lucky Starr, #3)
  • Almuric
  • Transit to Scorpio (Dray Prescot, #1) (Delian Cycle, #1)
  • The Galaxy Primes
  • Star Born (Pax/Astra, #2)
  • The Dragon Masters
  • Starrigger (Skyway, #1)
  • The Madonna and the Starship
  • Berserker's Planet (Berserker, #3)
  • Enterprise Stardust (Perry Rhodan - English, #1)
  • The City of the Beast or Warriors of Mars (Michael Kane 1)
  • John Carter of Mars: Warlord of Mars
  • The Ultimate Weird Tales Collection - 133 stories - Clark Ashton Smith (Trilogus Classics)
  • The Not Yet
  • The Man from Mars: Ray Palmer's Amazing Pulp Journey
Edgar Rice Burroughs was an American author, best known for his creation of the jungle hero Tarzan and the heroic John Carter, although he produced works in many genres.
More about Edgar Rice Burroughs...

Venus (5 books)
  • Pirates of Venus (Venus, #1)
  • Lost on Venus (Venus, #2)
  • Escape on Venus (Venus, #4)
  • The Wizard of Venus (Venus, #5)