Start by marking “All I Could Get: A Novel” as Want to Read:
All I Could Get: A Novel

All I Could Get: A Novel

3.12  ·  Rating Details  ·  57 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
Barry Schwartz had everything: two healthy young children, a strong marriage, a house in the Colorado mountains, and a job that let him ski a hundred days in a good year. But at thirty, debt-ridden and maybe just a little bit bored, he decided it wasn’t enough, and headed for Wall Street to make the big bucks.

With the voice of a born storyteller and an intimate knowledge
Published April 8th 2003 by Vintage (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about All I Could Get, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about All I Could Get

Anita
Apr 05, 2009 Anita rated it liked it
Shelves: brain-candy
Barry Schwartz, bright guy, family man, ski bum, gets tired of living hand-to-mouth. Gets his MBA and drags family to NY and is quickly swallowed up by the "All I can get" ethos. Ultimately betrays his friends & family and even his own values in pursuit of "enough", an elusive target, hard to define. This book felt a little too pat. Wife is strong character yet doesn't seem to feel any need to help out financially so while the main objective was satisfied, I found aspects unsettling. My favo ...more
Naama
Nov 01, 2014 Naama rated it liked it
It was personally a very slow read for me, but Lasser definitely shows Barry as an individual who immerses himself in his job, and ends up neglecting what's important in his bland life- his family. The message sent was clear, but I wasn't executed excitingly.
Cheryl
Nov 19, 2013 Cheryl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, family
I have wanted to read Scott Lasser for a while. This book was really good and interesting. I didn't understand much that was happening "on the desk" but I really didn't have to. You could feel the energy and speed and activity that happens on Wall Street just from Lasser's storytelling. But I also really enjoyed the time outside of the job, with his family. Without spoiling anything, it made some of the events hard to read because the main character, Barry, is actually really likeable and you te ...more
Stephanie Dahlberg
Mar 01, 2012 Stephanie Dahlberg rated it liked it
I read this book because it was given to me by a good friend whom I respected. After quite a few pages, I called her to verify that, indeed, I would enjoy this book. So much of the story was the convoluted passages through the financial world. Having NO brain for this arena and NO interest in it, I was having a hard time wading through the pages of All I Can Get. We all know that balancing work and family is very tough. Lasser handles it realistically but I don't want to read that kind of downer ...more
Dave
Aug 10, 2008 Dave rated it it was ok
Becky
Feb 03, 2014 Becky rated it it was ok
Not my favorite by this author.
Mom
Jul 29, 2010 Mom rated it really liked it
Didn't understand all the intricacies of stock market trading but the book held my interest. It's really a love story......the love of a man for a woman and a man for his job.........In the end the woman wins.
As it should.....of course.
Vicky
Sep 10, 2012 Vicky rated it really liked it
Even though you knew where this had to be going it still sucked you in. I loved the writing, and I don't say that lightly. Also I was moved to tears when things start--let's say changing--in his life.
Louvaine
Nov 24, 2009 Louvaine rated it it was ok
A slightly disgusting cautionary tale about greed--and it's effects. Very Wall St. I read this years ago, but given the economic circumstances, it's very current.
CLM
Dec 26, 2007 CLM rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: suspense
Slightly above average suspense which avoided some cliches.
Jodie
May 12, 2011 Jodie rated it it was ok
Depressing and a loathsome main character.
Vincent Lam
Jan 20, 2013 Vincent Lam rated it really liked it
Love the peek into the bond trader world.
Jackie Simons
Read 2/03
Patricia
Patricia rated it really liked it
Jan 21, 2016
Matt Kelly
Matt Kelly rated it it was amazing
Jan 12, 2016
Cy Kurtz
Cy Kurtz rated it liked it
Nov 18, 2015
Cliff
Cliff marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2015
Ben Smeal
Ben Smeal rated it liked it
Jul 22, 2015
Benedict Mckenna
Benedict Mckenna rated it liked it
Jun 15, 2015
Nancy Beck
Nancy Beck rated it really liked it
Jun 10, 2015
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
May 29, 2015
Dee Carpenter
Dee Carpenter rated it liked it
May 23, 2015
Tom Hatting
Tom Hatting rated it liked it
Mar 29, 2015
J Pinkman
J Pinkman rated it liked it
Jan 28, 2015
D Doyle
D Doyle marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2015
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2014
Jason Kwon
Jason Kwon rated it liked it
Dec 18, 2014
Alicia House
Alicia House rated it liked it
Dec 07, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Scott Lasser is the author of four novels: Battle Creek, All I Could Get, The Year That Follows, and Say Nice Things About Detroit. His non-fiction has appeared in magazines ranging from Dealmaker (for which he wrote a regular book column) to the New Yorker. He splits his time between Los Angeles and Colorado.
More about Scott Lasser...