Start by marking “The Mist of Quarry Harbor” as Want to Read:
The Mist of Quarry Harbor

The Mist of Quarry Harbor

3.39  ·  Rating Details  ·  194 Ratings  ·  38 Reviews

The sheets were damp and cold as she climbed into bed, and as she lay shivering, she ached with loneliness. . . . Cassie lay listening to the creaking timbers of the old hotel, and tears slid down her face.
It doesn't matter what answers I find, she thought. Nothing will ever be the same.
It was in that twilight between wakefulness and sleep that she wondered how she could f

Published June 1st 2005 by Shadow Mountain

To ask other readers questions about The Mist of Quarry Harbor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mist of Quarry Harbor

K. Dawidowicz
Aug 20, 2014 K. Dawidowicz rated it did not like it
Another novel featuring lots of beautiful main characters, only this one is LDS and a mystery. Theoretically. Personally, I was already shouting out "SERIAL KILLER" by the time Cassie's future husband showed up. That dude was just way too smooth to be on the up and up. Not to spoil anything for potential readers, because no, the big mystery is NOT that he's a serial killer. Although if he had been, Cassie being murdered and dumped in a ditch would have been a tragic but totally predictable examp ...more
Nadine
Apr 09, 2012 Nadine rated it really liked it
Another good book by the same author as the Spider Laitham series. Hope she has more!Characters act like real people. No bad language or sex!
Seth
Oct 23, 2012 Seth rated it it was ok
I picked this little number up over at the Goodwill, for a buck. It's published by Deseret Book, and yes, all of the main characters are LDS.

The main character is Cassie Van Cleeve. She's smoking hot, completely self-sufficient, and single as the book opens. It's important to note that she's not single because no one's interested. She has to fend off a pesky marriage proposal within the first 20 pages of the book. Later, a casual FHE basketball game leads to fisticuffs between her two suitors. S
Villate
Sep 20, 2009 Villate rated it did not like it
I read this because it was the choice of the month for a book club I belonged to, but "The Mist of Quarry Harbor" is probably the worst book I have ever read. Not only is the prose florid and overwrought, but the plot is absolutely ridiculous. I had the "mystery" figured out almost immediately, and the "surprise twist," if it could be called that, was obvious almost from the first paragraph of the description of the mysterious, boat-piloting stranger. The characters are idiots who make foolish c ...more
Courtney
Apr 25, 2010 Courtney rated it liked it
I thought this was going to be a 2 star, but the end was pretty good, so I brought it up to 3.

The heroine is a little... dumb? She has some real duh moments. And I think there might be a generation gap here with the author because she has a 32 year old in 2005 constantly wearing pantsuits (and she's supposed to be a looker) and talking like I have NEVER heard anyone under the age of 60 talk. Things like this draw a reader out of the story-- the continuity just isn't there. At first, I thought it
Lewestover
May 10, 2016 Lewestover rated it it was ok
Although some of the plot, i.e. the "mystery" was ok, I was disappointed by the main character. I guess I wanted her to be smarter in her decisions and not so naive.
Bergen
Mar 30, 2016 Bergen rated it liked it
Ehhh... not bad, but I wish there was more action and mystery- 1/2 of the novel was spent just introducing the characters!
Winona
Nov 10, 2015 Winona rated it it was amazing
Lovely light reading that kept me involved to the last page.
Emma
Jul 04, 2010 Emma rated it liked it
I love romance fiction with elements of mystery and suspense. This book does just that. It's LDS Fiction, and yet it isn't just about living the church teachings. Mystery, suspence, love triangles, murder and drugs -- it's all there in modern day times. I also love the romantic element of the harbor and the mystery it brings with it too. It's easy for me to relate to the main character, Cassie. She is a no-nonsense, down-to-earth gal, but yet she is a dreamer too; wanting the fairytale promise o ...more
Heather
Jan 28, 2015 Heather rated it really liked it
Grade: B
Linnae
Mar 05, 2009 Linnae rated it it was ok
Cassie's life turns upside-down when she meets Jared, and marries him shortly afterword. When he's killed in an accident, she has to go through his papers, only to find several things that don't seem to add up. So she takes a trip to Puget Sound to search for the truth about her husband.

Had some good moments, but towards the end it began to feel like a lecture on the dangers of choosing "flash over substance."
Her Spider Gotham mysteries are much better.
Megan Swanson
Sep 28, 2010 Megan Swanson rated it liked it
I've read four of her books and I think this one is probably the best. Sure, it wasn't entirely thorough and it wasn't quite what I expected-which is usually pretty accurate-but it was still pretty good. I do wish that there had been a bit more at the end though, or something. I'm not quite sure.
Tressa (Wishful Endings)
Jun 07, 2010 Tressa (Wishful Endings) rated it liked it
Shelves: lds
I was a little disappointed by this one. It's about a girl who jumps into a marriage over a couple of weeks and then finds out he isn't who she thought he was and that she really is in love with one of her best friends - just not the knocked off her feet crazy kind. This is an LDS book.
Kevan
Jul 17, 2008 Kevan rated it it was amazing
This is a great book, the story line keeps you guessing. I hate to figure out "who dunnit" too soon. I loved the description of the area, it made it come a live in my mind's eye. The characters were believable, you could put yourself in their place and understand their motives.
Jen
Mar 22, 2010 Jen rated it it was ok
When I started reading this book, I had no idea it was an "LDS" book. I guess that is what happens when you live in UT and go to the public library! :) It wasn't bad, it was just really predictable and a bit cheesy. I just struggle to not see how a book ends.
Teresa
Mar 24, 2010 Teresa rated it really liked it
I love books set in Washington! The descriptions of the places were very believable. The characters were sadly realistic. Even though we all know we shouldn't trust things that are too good to be true, so many people do.
Joyce
Oct 29, 2013 Joyce rated it liked it
A nice, quick read; I enjoyed reading this mystery/love story. It moved quick enough to keep me interested and I loved the characters. Liz Adair has written some other novels; and I will read them.
Andrea
Jan 04, 2011 Andrea rated it liked it
Pretty good story. The main character came off as being a bit stupid (although she was supposedly very smart) when she married the guy she'd only known for a few weeks and hardly knew anything about him.
Whitney
Jun 16, 2009 Whitney rated it really liked it
When I was about 1/4 into I thought it was going to be corny with the romantic plot but then it changes directions into a mystery and keeps you guessing whats going to happens! Rather quite good!
Haley
Apr 06, 2009 Haley rated it really liked it
Ummm, yeah okay i guess but not a book i wuld have picked up if i hadn't thought that i was a war book. I mean look at the cover and you think, 9Or i do) boat and war has lots of boats....
Dec 04, 2008 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Jennifer by: Cathy
Shelves: own-it, suspense
I'm not much into LDS Authors. I've really never given them a chance. This book was great! It was an easy read and the plot was interesting! Glad it wasn't "set" in Utah!
Jessica Walker - Stier
Jul 14, 2012 Jessica Walker - Stier rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this. It wasn't tricky or elaborate but was a fun, quick read with a happy, neat ending. Another Liz Adair book that I have enjoyed!
Sharlyn
Apr 18, 2013 Sharlyn rated it really liked it
At the beginning I thought it was going to be too churchy but after the first few chapters I really got into it and liked it(and it wasn't too churchy). :)
Cara
Feb 11, 2008 Cara rated it liked it
Fairly predictable and sometimes the main character made unbelievable decisions, but overall had a good message and was entertaining enough to be worthwhile.
Karen
Oct 14, 2008 Karen rated it it was ok
The descriptions in the book were better than the plot. It was a quick read. Not one of her better mysteries but that is only my opinion.
Susan
May 14, 2009 Susan rated it really liked it
This is an unusual love story. I got really caught up in the story when Cassie goes to Quarry Harbor--especially when she meets Aaron Fletcher.
Cortney
Jun 30, 2007 Cortney rated it liked it
I read this book as part of a book club--it was alright, a good read for something to break away from anything too heavey. Not hard and entertaining.
Patricia
Dec 21, 2012 Patricia rated it liked it
Rating 2.5. It was basically a good story, although I needed more subterfuge in the plot. I could see the ending coming.
Kerrin
Sep 22, 2008 Kerrin rated it really liked it
Recommended to Kerrin by: Sandy
I would give this book 3 1/2 stars. It was predictable but had some interesting turns at the same time. Easy read.
Paij
Aug 14, 2009 Paij rated it liked it
I thought this book was pretty entertaining and maybe I'm not that bright but she kept me guessing to the end.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Vanished (Maggie McKenzie Mystery, #1)
  • Wild Card
  • Forget Me Not (Timeless Moments, #2)
  • Grave Secrets