Start by marking “Superstitious” as Want to Read:
Superstitious

Superstitious

3.36  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,881 Ratings  ·  161 Reviews
On the small Pennsylvania college campus Liam O'Connor cuts a dashing, romantic figure. The Irish-born professor of folklore has good looks, a sweet charm, and a host of Old World superstitions - all of which dazzle beautiful graduate student Sara Morgan. Plunging headlong into a sudden love affair, Sara barely has time to notice the dark drama unfolding on the campus. Fou ...more
Published September 14th 1995 by Grand Central Publishing (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Superstitious, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Superstitious

Steph
Jan 13, 2013 Steph rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2013
Crystal
Jun 07, 2014 Crystal rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
R.L. Stine is the absolute master of horror. I absolutely loved reading his Goosebump and Fear Street books growing up, and am thrilled to be reading his books into adulthood. I often wondered why Stine never wrote horror fiction for adults. I was so thrilled to find this book-And I was not disappointed! This novel is so intelligent, well-written and, most importantly, terrifying! I was hooked until the very end. And, even after the story ended, I'm still left wondering what happens next. He is ...more
Eric
May 28, 2008 Eric rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one I like
This book is billed as Stine's first adult horror novel. It is not very good.

The premise sounds promising. A local small-town college is shocked and terrorized at a series of gruesome murders on campus. In the meantime, a new professor has wowed students and impressed his colleagues by teaching classes on mythology, folklore, and superstition. Not surprisingly, the professor, Liam O'Connor from Ireland, is superstitious himself.

Graduate student Sara Morgan returns to her alma mater from New York
Michele Garber
Feb 15, 2013 Michele Garber rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Seldom do I say this, but I hated this book. I had a passing familiarity with the Goosebumps series, which I thought was great for kids, so I was willing to give Stine's adult novel a try.

If only I could get those hours back, and the money I spent.

Stine apparently thought you can "adultify" a novel by adding healthy doses of sex, gore, and expletives. Now, don't get me wrong--these things do have their place, and can elevate a story to dizzying heights when used skillfully, and sensibly. The re
Faith
Feb 25, 2013 Faith rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Nobody.
LJ
SUPERSTITIOUS - NR
Stine, R.L.

When graduate student Sara Morgan meets Liam O'Connor, the dashing folklore professor, the attraction is mutual. Sara is far too much in love to let Liam's odd superstitions, or even the brutal murders in the town, get in the way. That is, until she learns the secret behind Liam's superstitions.

Definitely NOT for children. This was beyond gruesome and poorly written besides.
Connie
Source: I read this online via OpenLibrary.
Cost: Free

Title: Superstitious
Author: R.L. Stine
Genre: Adult, horror
Overall Rating: 3 stars

I mean, I didn't expect a lot, so in that respect I was right. It was basically a Point Horror book with a lot more gore, sex and description. It wasn't bad, it just wasn't overly brilliant either, and as a massive fan of RL Stine's books it pains me to say that.

My main issue however was his inability to use the word sex. Like come on, it's an adult boo
Serena
Apr 15, 2013 Serena rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I have to give credit where credit is due...R.L. Stine cultivated my love for horror at a very young age. I adored the Goosebumps books and I still pick one up every now and then to revel in my childhood. I expected this to be a seamless transition from a successful author of childrens books to adult horror fiction. I think I expected a little too much.

The main character, Sara, comes off as a weak, needy female. In an attempt to flee her previous dysfunctional relationship, she moves closer to h
Rachel
Sep 13, 2012 Rachel rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book reminded me of why I stopped reading Fear Street novels. R L Stine isn't a bad writer, don't get me wrong, but he doesn't write horror. He writes gore. I read horror novels because I want to be scared, shocked, psychologically twisted. Like Lovecraft, Poe, Bram Stoker, and the rest of the greats, I want to finish a book with chills from the profound meaning; the horror that means more than just slashing. I don't read them because I want to be disgusted with overly bloody imagery. I wou ...more
Kevin Bachovchin
Jul 26, 2014 Kevin Bachovchin rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
When I was younger, I really liked the Goosebumps and Fear Street books by R.L. Stine, which is why I thought I'd give R.L. Stine's first novel for adults a try. I honestly wasn't expecting a lot from this book, but I was still disappointed. While Superstitious is billed as an "adult book," the writing in this book is at a middle school level (short sentences, simple vocabulary) just like in the Goosebumps series. The only things that made it an "adult book" were the numerous sex scenes. Also ma ...more
Michelle Goodman
I was excited to find an R.L. Stine book for adults! Sadly, I think his Goosebumps and Fear Street series were more compelling reads.
K.J. Bryen
May 11, 2015 K.J. Bryen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Don't worry, no spoilers.

So first off, I'd like to say that I understand the low ratings a lot of people gave this book. It was a little silly, and was very similar to R.L. Stine's Goosebumps series, aside from the added sex and gore.

However, I am giving this a 4 star because it did it's job. It was interesting, fun, and kept me entertained. I ended up despising his main character Sara, but the mystery kept me thoroughly interested from beginning to end. Looking for a compelling, mind-blowing n
Wenj
Feb 08, 2010 Wenj rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-prior-2009
I admit, I use to love Goosebumps and Stine's tween Fear Street series so naturally I was curious when he wrote an adult novel. Like his other series, this is written in much the same manner only with more adult themes throughout. Likewise, it is fast paced with a mystery that you can sink your teeth into. The characters are intruiging and while it's pretty predictable it is highly entertaining.
Brittany Sturges
May 28, 2011 Brittany Sturges rated it did not like it
How utterly awful. After reading this, I cannot help but think back to all of his other books that I read growing up. This was just too chaotic and such an awful ending. Ugh. Plus, I felt it lacked in character development.
Lindsay
Sep 17, 2011 Lindsay rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Stereotypes women, drags you through about 300 pages of, "really?", and finishes up with an ending fit for a kid's book. R.L., you should be superstitious of adult fiction!
Jessi
Mar 10, 2009 Jessi rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: no one
Recommended to Jessi by: Picked it up at Lib.
This could quite possibly be one of the worst books that I have ever read. R.L. Stine needs to stick to young adult books!
Derek
Mar 14, 2011 Derek rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
If I could have rated it a negative I would have...
Ashley
Mild Spoilers in review so read at your own risk:
I don't know why I had any sort of expectation for this book as I thought his YA books were campy even as a preteen. Hey... I'm not saying that I didn't like Fear Street and others like it but I still thought they were cheesy horror.
Which is what I got with "Superstitions". It was the same ole R.L. Stine writing, just laced with foul language and sex. The same old fake-outs that end up being a joke (Milton getting "shot"), prank calls (Babysitter
Myra
Sep 08, 2014 Myra rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Really more like half a star. Maybe. This was so awful. I fully admit to skimming starting at about page 75. I don't even know where to begin. Characters are very stereotypical and idiotic. Plot is nothing new. And the writing is some of the worst I've ever seen. Bad enough that you would assume the man had never written before. Stine is the king of sentence fragments. For every one complete sentence, there must be 3 fragments. Here's a sample paragraph.

"Laughter in the hallway. Raised voices. P
Andy
Apr 23, 2013 Andy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'll try to be as spoiler free as possible.

Like most people that read this, I was a big fan of Goosebumps going up in the 90s. When I was browsing at the library, I found this and was immediately interested.

Things I liked:
+Chapters are short.

+There are kills in this, and the kills are very graphic. Stine did a good job loading the kills with a bunch of detail.

Things I didn't like:

-The supernatural kind of comes out of nowhere. About 2/3's of the book has a murder mystery feel. That was what I wa
Kim
Jan 08, 2016 Kim rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Sara Golden
This book was published 20 years ago. I think if I'd read it back then, I probably would have enjoyed it more. Reading it now it just reminded me of Fear Street novels with more swear words. Sara Morgan is running away from a bad relationship when she meets Liam who is extremely superstitious. A series of bizarre murders happens and Sara finds her whirlwind romance, new husband isn't who she thought he was. Not my favorite but my inner teenage self probably would have enjoyed it.
Danielle Langlois
As a Fear Street fanatic when I was growing up I was disappointed in this "adult" novel by R.L. Stine. Having not read any of his books for years the familiar writing was comforting but aside from the sex, cursing, and added gore I still felt as if I was reading a young adult genre. Sara wasn't believable enough to be an educated undergrad student with how naive she is portrayed. I found the ending and answer to the mysterious campus murders to be a little far fetched and something that would ha ...more
Nicole Williams
I haven't read a R.L. Stine book since high school. I saw this at a garage sale and picked it up. This is R.L. Stine's first adult fiction book. It was good but I don't think it's his best work.

I like how he was very descriptive in his death scenes. Very gruesome. But I felt it was lacking. The book was a little slow. I wanted more to happen. And then, it ended. Just as it was getting good; it ended. How disappointing.

Don't get me wrong. I enjoyed Superstitious very much. It's a good, easy read.
Josh
Jan 14, 2014 Josh rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't go in to this book with any expectations of quality, but nothing could have prepared me for the absolute schlock-fest that is Superstitious. Laughable dialog, gratuitous sex (to prove this is an "adult" book?), and a plot that ranges from predictable and bland to frustrating and repetitive all swirled together to create one of the worst books I've ever read.

On a side note, Stine sure seems to think that all the attractive ladies of 1995 wore nothing but brightly colored sweater dresses
Jamie Bernard
Jul 14, 2015 Jamie Bernard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I can understand why people are giving the poor reviews, they are right about certain things. It is kinda corney, the only reason it is an adult book is bc of the curse words, sex, and gore. I hadn't gotten on here when I got this book (at a yard sale for $1) but I would've read it no matter what I saw since I like to form my own opinion but also since I grew up reading the fear street novels I wanted to see what it was like. I liked the book overall, it kept me interested and wanting to find ou ...more
Joe
Oct 05, 2014 Joe rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The professor Sara is drawn to is a bit...well, eccentric would be putting it mildly. He is superstitious, but we’re not just talking about: Step in a crack, break your mother’s back. Liam is something of an extreme case, but even more extreme are the murders around the small town college campus that coincide with the professor’s oddities.

Sounds mildly interesting, right?

Don’t get excited.

Some childhood treats are best left as fond memories. They’re just not as good as adults. Don’t get me wrong
Angela
Jun 19, 2011 Angela rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror, supernatural, myth
I remember reading this in high school and loving it since it was an R.L. Stine adult novel. Since R.L.Stine has been with me through my life (goosebump, Fear Streat)up into adulthood, and I can vividly remember the plot of a book I read about ten years ago I should add this to my books list. Female horror fans will enjoy this book.
InformationSuperhero
It took putting the book down twice and 230 pages to get interesting. Slow plot development and the reader would not have been able to guess what was happening if not for the author flat out filling in the blanks. Quick ending.

Neat idea but could have been presented better.
Christine
Jul 06, 2011 Christine rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Blargh. This book was so bad, I stopped reading at page 200 or so. The sex scenes are bad, the killings are bad, the cops are cliches, the main character is kind of a moron...I peeked at the end and that was dumb too.
do you think Liam is going to start dating Sara? 1 2 Jan 15, 2016 08:10AM
  • Resurrection Dreams
  • The Dreamwalker's Child
  • Strawberry Hill
  • Nowhere Girl
  • The Animal Rebellion (Shivers, #4)
  • The Year's Best Fantasy and Horror: Eleventh Annual Collection
  • This Rage Of Echoes
  • Haunted (David Ash, #1)
  • Support Your Local Wizard (Young Wizards, #1-3)
  • Hot Blood: Tales of Erotic Horror
  • Vampire Stories
  • The Irish Manor House Murder (Torrey Tunet #2)
  • The Witch