Start by marking “Descriptionary: A Thematic Dictionary” as Want to Read:
Descriptionary: A Thematic Dictionary

Descriptionary: A Thematic Dictionary

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  119 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Provides thematically-grouped definitions for terms relating to specific subjects, ranging from the environment and animals to the arts, clothing, and religion.
Published July 1st 2000 by Checkmark Books (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Descriptionary, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Descriptionary

Janrae
Aug 20, 2008 Janrae rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: any one who works with language
Descriptionary is a handy book book of lists with definition. I found things like the lists of dogs, horses, and animals very useful. I had not known a lot of the proper terms to describe them.

A word list example from the dog's section includes:
Apple head
badger-marked
cloddy
ringtail

They described my dog Levy very well. However, the sections on architecture and related subjects I found confusing and unclear.

Nevertheless, I feel I got value for my purchase.

Ron
Sep 05, 2008 Ron rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: writers
Recommended to Ron by: brother-in-law
Shelves: writing
The thematic arrangement helps readers who aren't sure what word they seek browse through the subject, like a thesaurus. So far I haven't found any terrible gaffs.
Ronald Wise
This book certainly was not a compelling cover-to-cover read. The effort to group words by topic to facilitate finding a word from its meaning was intriguing. And I did enjoy learning the different words used over the centuries by mariners and the fashion conscious.

Another useful area would have been regarding modern techology, but this book, already nearly ten years old, had many obsolete definitions, some of which were changing the day it was published.

While appreciating the author's attempt t
Trevor
It is no secret that I love dictionaries and here is another to add to that list. I simply adore this book and it is getting my highest complement by being put on permanent duty on my desk. The only reason it missed 5 stars is that it lacks etymologies.
David
I have a worn copy of this, though I remember the day I bought it brand new. Smudges and stains adorn many of the pages. The binding may be a little cracked and the cover has faded over time. Next to Roget's Thesaurus this may be one of the more well read books I have on my shelf. My only regret is that there is to my knowledge, not a follow up book with even more categories or present categories found here not fleshed out further.
Every writer should own a copy.
Blackwidower
This handy dandy book was tailor made for a writer like me whose weakness is description. This book is for someone who knows what what they want to say but can't think of the words to describe it. Call it a backwards dictionary where instead of having the word then the description, you have descriptions then the word. I highly recommend it.
Bill Tillman
Mar 01, 2010 Bill Tillman rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who wants to write
Recommended to Bill by: Writing Instructor
Shelves: on-writing, reference
I am a writer and I am in love with this book! Everytime I get stuck and I cannot think of what something is called I thumb through this and in seconds I find the "correct" name of the object I am trying to describe. It is so worth every penny you pay!
Daniel
...this ingenious combination of reverse dictionary and thesaurus supplies thousands of descriptions of terms that are organized into 22 broad and 194 narrower categories, so that you won't have to use words like whatchamacallit again.
Kathy Reinhart

Descriptionary is another take on your every day dictionary. I find that when presented with 'the same' information in a new light, it lends new ideas to my work. Very satisfied.
Kelli
Sep 08, 2013 Kelli marked it as to-read
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Colin
I love the idea of a thematic dictionary . . . though I don't actually use it all that often . . .
Sally
Nov 21, 2008 Sally marked it as to-read-library-has  ·  review of another edition
dang! It's reference, so I can't check it out!
Serena Salvati
Serena Salvati marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2014
Bryan Blanchot
Bryan Blanchot marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2014
Kristina Moses
Kristina Moses marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2014
Biblio Curious
Biblio Curious marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2014
Jess Tuan
Jess Tuan marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2014
Shannan Thompson
Shannan Thompson marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2014
Cindy C.F.
Cindy C.F. marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2014
Shauna
Shauna marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2014
Terrie
Terrie is currently reading it
Oct 05, 2014
The Miserablist
The Miserablist marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2014
Prasetya
Prasetya marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2014
Jaime Abbess
Jaime Abbess marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2014
Abhishek Gupta
Abhishek Gupta marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Flip Dictionary
  • Very Nice Ways to Say Very Bad Things: The Unusual Book of Euphemisms
  • I Never Metaphor I Didn't Like: A Comprehensive Compilation of History's Greatest Analogies, Metaphors, and Similes
  • Forensics: A Guide for Writers
  • Dictionary of Theories
  • Dictionary of Clichés
  • The Grouchy Grammarian: A How-Not-To Guide to the 47 Most Common Mistakes by Journalists, Broadcasters, and Others Who Should Know Better
  • The Writer's Digest Character Naming Sourcebook
  • Encyclopedia of Gods: Over 2, 500 Deities of the World
  • Word Painting: A Guide to Writing More Descriptively
  • American Accent Training: A Guide to Speaking and Pronouncing American English for Anyone Who Speaks English as a Second Language (Book and CD)
  • I'm Not Hanging Noodles on Your Ears and Other Intriguing Idioms From Around the World
  • Get Known Before the Book Deal: Use Your Personal Strengths to Grow an Author Platform
  • They Have a Word for It: A Lighthearted Lexicon of Untranslatable Words & Phrases
  • The Plot Thickens: 8 Ways to Bring Fiction to Life
  • Police Procedure & Investigation: A Guide for Writers
  • 20 Master Plots: And How to Build Them
  • The Timetables of History: A Horizontal Linkage of People and Events
Everyday Life in the 1800s: A Guide for Writers, Students & Historians (Writer's Guides to Everyday Life) Damn! Why Didnt I Write That?: How Ordinary People are Raking in $100,000.00 or More Writing Nonfiction Books & How You Can Too! The Kid Who Named Pluto: And the Stories of Other Extraordinary Young People in Science The Writer's Guide to Everyday Life from Prohibition Through World War II The Writer's Digest Sourcebook for Building Believable Characters