Start by marking “Descriptionary: A Thematic Dictionary” as Want to Read:
Descriptionary: A Thematic Dictionary

Descriptionary: A Thematic Dictionary

Provides thematically-grouped definitions for terms relating to specific subjects, ranging from the environment and animals to the arts, clothing, and religion.
Published July 1st 2000 by Checkmark Books (first published 1992)

Janrae
Aug 20, 2008 Janrae rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: any one who works with language
Descriptionary is a handy book book of lists with definition. I found things like the lists of dogs, horses, and animals very useful. I had not known a lot of the proper terms to describe them.

A word list example from the dog's section includes:
Apple head
badger-marked
cloddy
ringtail

They described my dog Levy very well. However, the sections on architecture and related subjects I found confusing and unclear.

Nevertheless, I feel I got value for my purchase.

Trevor
Feb 26, 2014 Trevor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reference
It is no secret that I love dictionaries and here is another to add to that list. I simply adore this book and it is getting my highest complement by being put on permanent duty on my desk. The only reason it missed 5 stars is that it lacks etymologies.
Ron
Sep 05, 2008 Ron rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: writers
Recommended to Ron by: brother-in-law
Shelves: writing
The thematic arrangement helps readers who aren't sure what word they seek browse through the subject, like a thesaurus. So far I haven't found any terrible gaffs.
Mercedes
Jan 27, 2016 Mercedes rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great reference tool for authors
Ronald Wise
Jul 22, 2011 Ronald Wise rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book certainly was not a compelling cover-to-cover read. The effort to group words by topic to facilitate finding a word from its meaning was intriguing. And I did enjoy learning the different words used over the centuries by mariners and the fashion conscious.

Another useful area would have been regarding modern techology, but this book, already nearly ten years old, had many obsolete definitions, some of which were changing the day it was published.

While appreciating the author's attempt t
David
Mar 31, 2011 David rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have a worn copy of this, though I remember the day I bought it brand new. Smudges and stains adorn many of the pages. The binding may be a little cracked and the cover has faded over time. Next to Roget's Thesaurus this may be one of the more well read books I have on my shelf. My only regret is that there is to my knowledge, not a follow up book with even more categories or present categories found here not fleshed out further.
Every writer should own a copy.
Blackwidower
Jul 16, 2012 Blackwidower rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
This handy dandy book was tailor made for a writer like me whose weakness is description. This book is for someone who knows what what they want to say but can't think of the words to describe it. Call it a backwards dictionary where instead of having the word then the description, you have descriptions then the word. I highly recommend it.
Daniel
...this ingenious combination of reverse dictionary and thesaurus supplies thousands of descriptions of terms that are organized into 22 broad and 194 narrower categories, so that you won't have to use words like whatchamacallit again.
Bill Tillman
Mar 01, 2010 Bill Tillman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who wants to write
Recommended to Bill by: Writing Instructor
Shelves: on-writing, reference
I am a writer and I am in love with this book! Everytime I get stuck and I cannot think of what something is called I thumb through this and in seconds I find the "correct" name of the object I am trying to describe. It is so worth every penny you pay!
K.E. Garvey
May 14, 2013 K.E. Garvey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Descriptionary is another take on your every day dictionary. I find that when presented with 'the same' information in a new light, it lends new ideas to my work. Very satisfied.
Wporter
Oct 12, 2016 Wporter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I agree with others that the book is useful, but needs periodic updates. Urban terms change frequently, for example. Otherwise, I love it. Great idea.
Kelli
Sep 08, 2013 Kelli marked it as to-read
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Bekristl
Bekristl rated it it was amazing
Feb 03, 2014
Marte McCalla
Marte McCalla rated it really liked it
May 04, 2015
Sayli Ghate
Sayli Ghate rated it liked it
Oct 06, 2015
Steven Lebeau
Steven Lebeau rated it it was amazing
Dec 13, 2014
Shandra
Shandra rated it really liked it
Nov 01, 2010
Susan
Susan rated it liked it
May 02, 2011
Nakul Chadha
Nakul Chadha rated it it was amazing
Aug 17, 2015
allexa
allexa rated it really liked it
Apr 07, 2016
Freddie
Freddie rated it really liked it
Jan 19, 2013
Linda
Linda rated it really liked it
Nov 14, 2013
Gregor Erbach
Gregor Erbach rated it really liked it
Jun 06, 2013
Allison Riendeau
Allison Riendeau rated it liked it
Jun 09, 2013
Meredith Cooper
Meredith Cooper rated it it was amazing
Feb 13, 2015
Jean Smith
Jean Smith rated it it was ok
Jul 03, 2010
Zachary
Zachary rated it it was amazing
Mar 14, 2016
Eva Ramirez
Eva Ramirez rated it really liked it
Aug 11, 2010
Matthew Devlin
Matthew Devlin rated it really liked it
Jul 14, 2012
Martin L. Collin
Martin L. Collin rated it it was amazing
Apr 24, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Descriptionary 3 20 Jan 21, 2015 08:21AM
  • Random House Word Menu: New and Essential Companion to the Dictionary
  • Reverse Dictionary (Readers Digest)
  • Flip Dictionary
  • Romance Writer's Phrase Book
  • Time Travel
  • The Thinker's Thesaurus: Sophisticated Alternatives to Common Words
  • The Describer's Dictionary: A Treasury of Terms & Literary Quotations
  • They Have a Word for It: A Lighthearted Lexicon of Untranslatable Words & Phrases
  • Thanks, But This Isn't for Us: The Compassionate Guide to Understanding What's Wrong with Your Writing and Leaving the Rejection Pile for Good
  • Plot Whisperer Workbook: Step-by-Step Exercises to Help You Create Compelling Stories
  • Shakespeare A to Z: The Essential Reference to His Plays, His Poems, His Life and Times, and More
  • Conflict, Action and Suspense (Elements of Fiction Writing)