Start by marking “McClairen's Isle: The Passionate One (McClairen's Isle, #1)” as Want to Read:
McClairen's Isle: The Passionate One (McClairen's Isle, #1)

McClairen's Isle: The Passionate One (McClairen's Isle #1)

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  599 ratings  ·  38 reviews
No woman could resist the pleasures he offered....

They are the Merricks, two brothers and a sister, restless, daring, proud.English by birth, they came to Scotland with their father to occupy McClairen lands.And there each would find a love as wild and glorious as the Highland isle they claimed as their own.

Fia, the only daughter, is the ravishing one. Raine, the second so
Published June 1st 1999 by Dell (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about McClairen's Isle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about McClairen's Isle

Beanbag Love
Actually more like a 3.5, I think. I'm not even settled on that, but I figured I'd get the review out of the way and get on with my life.

This is a very angsty read. The hero is the son of an awful Englishman who managed to take over the holdings of a Scottish clan after the slaughter at Culloden. The elder Merrick is an extremely nasty piece of work.

Ash Merrick has cultivated an image of urbane ruthlessness, but we know there's more to him than that. He has a younger brother and sister who are
Janice Hougland
I was blown away by this Scottish historical romance. This author certainly has a descriptive style that draws you in as if you were witnessing the story in person in a front row seat. Both the hero (Ash) and the heroine (Rhiannon) were badly damaged from war and familial incidents so that both are hesitant to get involved. But difficult circumstances and dangerous conditions bring them together as they get to know one another quite well, all the while avoiding many hurdles before they understan ...more
Maria
A brother's determination to save another. This is Book 1 of a trilogy of the Merrick Siblings. It is the story of Ash and Rhionna. He is just out of prison and kind of set on doing his father's bidding because he needs the money. She is set to be married. I only gave this story 3 stars because of the fact that the first 25-35% of the book did not grab me. It did not pull me in as other books have. That being said please hang in there when you read this book. I still finished the book and looked ...more
Sabrina (Soter) Sally
Tracy
I don't even know where to begin. Ash Merrick is the epitome of a wounded tortured hero. I read the blurb and expected a brooding tortured rake. That is not even close to what Ash is. He has got to be the least rakish hero I have ever read and easily the most tortured. There were points in this book where I didn't like him and at one point I even wondered how Ms. Brockway was going to redeem this seemingly unredeemable man.

Rhiannon is a very tortured soul herself - no where near Ash, but tortur
Regan Walker
Superb Scottish Historical Romance!

This is the first in the McClairen's Isle trilogy and it’s wonderful!...an enduring Scottish historical for the "keeper" shelf.

The stories in the trilogy tell of a family of two brothers and a sister, Scottish by their mother Janet McClairen, and English by their father, the charming, selfish, ruthless Ronald Merrick, now Earl of Carr. Many years ago, Merrick fled his debtors in London to come to McClairen's Isle in the Highlands with an aim to take it from the
Lori McD

I'm being a bit harsh on this book, because it has the germ of a good story. But it seems to meander and wander and then wallow. I'm not sure if it's a page-requirement or just in need of a better editor.

This book sets up the background for all 3 books in the series. It tells the tale of McClairen's Isle - a fortress in Scotland built by a McClairen on an island, so that he and his clan can see any and all who come to their lands. While the McClairens survived a lot of history, they wer
Teresa
I actually read the third book in this series, not realizing it was a series, before reading this book, which is the first. The third book, I might add, was very good, in my opinion, as well. The main character, Ash, is very troubled and rather dark, but I couldn't help but like him. As always, the characters in this author's books are typically troubled, and have nightmares and ghosts from their pasts that continue to haunt them.

Rhiannon was a likable character, as well. She was sweet and lovi
Nadine Jones
Fantastic, angsty, Scottish Highlands romance - but not that granite-chested-always-kilted kind of Highlands, this is the next generation: men & women who have Highlander in their blood, but English polish on their surface and ton deception in their manners. If that makes sense?

The Prologue, while interesting, seemed to be going nowhere, and I actually lost interest by Chapter 1 and set this book aside. So, if you pick this up and think it's boring, feel free to skip the Prologue and go back
Susan
Ouch!!! At 81% of the kindle version read I suddenly scream "omg" and my oh drops something needlessly in the kitchen. Why?!?! Well this author just lost at least two stars from me. The main body of the book is set in the 1760s and in his musings the hero wonders what the business agent if the villain is hiding and wonders:

"Overseas property? The Americas? Australia?"

Ok. Minor history lesson here. From the European point of view, the eastern coast of Australia was discovered by Cptn J Cook in 17
LJ
THE PASSIONATE ONE - Ex
Brockway, Connie - 1st of McClairen's Isle series

They are the Merricks, two brothers and a sister, restless, daring, proud. English by birth, they came to Scotland with their father to occupy McClairen lands. And there each would find a love as wild and glorious as the Highland isle they claimed as their own. Fia, the only daughter, is the ravishing one. Raine, the second son, is the reckless one.

Ashton is the eldest son. This is his story, He was a notorious rogue with a
Megan
A bit "passionate" for my taste, but I suppose I should have expected that from the title. It turned in directions I didn't anticipate, the characters were believable and strong, and the story was well written. A fun, enjoyable, easy read.
Julie
I had a hard time getting into this complicated Georgian romance which is just too hard to summarize. The book was divided into two parts: before the hero abducts the heroine on his father's behalf to bring her to his father (who is awful in too many ways to list) and then after he abducts her. But, by that point he's fallen in love with her and decides he must protect her from his father, but if he does he might not get the money promised him (by same dastardly father) that he can use to pay th ...more
Rachel
It was a very quick read. Some parts were a little predictable, but I was surprised at the ending! Great!
Julie
Jan 03, 2015 Julie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: best
This is the first book of Connie's ive read, and i can't wait to start the next. Fantastic writer and awesome story!
P.
Well written, very readable and a bit grim.
Kris Rafferty
Love the whole series.
Michelle
Ok, more like 3.5. For a Connie Brockway book, I expected a little humor, but this was not the case. A hard, dark, old fashioned romance with a reluctant lassie and a dominant, jaded antihero who grows up in a snake's den (he's got issues). It was a little tough, especially one scene, but I loved Rhiannon's strength and ability to *see* through Ash's facade. I'm intrigued enough to want to know what happens to Raine and Fia,poor things.
Tom
Early on in our relationship, my wife (to be) told me that she wanted to write romance and she wanted me to know what a really good historical romance read like so I would know what she was shooting for. This was one of the first books she gave me and it was phenomenal. The characters were vivid, the story was clever and the setting really came to life. I read a million romance novels since but this one will always stay with me.
Kayne Inso
The whole story is quite interesting although the first few chapters we're dull (personal opinion only) nevertheless it became a love hate relationship between Ash Merrick and Rhiannon Russels. And Ms. Brockway let me sees the beauty of the Highlands through her pages. Quite a cliffhanger though at the end wanted myself to meet Raine but I guess have to read the next book. :D
Cristina Contilli
Anche se l'idea di partenza era buona e abbastanza innovativa (un'isola legata dal '500 al '700 alla storia di una famiglia scozzese) il libro intreccia tra loro le storie di molti secondo me troppi personaggi ed eventi in modo non sempre logico e coerente... peccato anche perché ci sono un paio di scene di passione tra i due protagonisti veramente ben scritte.
Amanda
A wonderfully written book, dark and very romantic. I loved Ash as a tormented alpha-male character, he complemented Rhiannon very well. The relationship between them was tense and heartfelt.
The plot was very interesting and kept me guessing throughout the book. A very good story, I'll probably read it again someday.
Margaret Foxe
All of the MacLairen's Isle series are a bit puzzling to me. There is so much to like in them, yet there is so much I also do not like. I think one of the biggest problems is that I just couldn't like any of the main characters. The hero especially in this book never really gives me a reason to like him. He is kind of a jerk.
Ruth
I stopped reading this book. I just couldn't get into it. Or care much about the characters. I actually like Connie Brockway; I highly recommend The Golden Season. Oh, well. Maybe I'll try again later.
Hilary
Pretty good. The first of three stories: one each for the three Merrick siblings. This one’s with Ashton and Rhiannon Russell. He tries to keep her away from his father, who’s killed three wives already.
Ty
I really liked this book. It kept you wondering what was going to happen. I liked the rough characters because they had so much personality. I will be finishing this series.
Flavia Sugnu
From what I remember, which is a fair bit, it had a great plot, interesting characters and wasn't a drag.
What more could I want.?.
Melissa
This is a good start to the series. It is not a favorite, but definitely makes me want to read about the other siblings.
Sharal Hunter
Very enjoyable book. I look forward to reading the rest of the series to learn how all three Merrick siblings end up.
Cheryl Tollestrup
Very satisfying to read a book that has a little bit of mystery, intrigue, romance, heartache, and passion!
vs. Outlander? 2 9 Jan 11, 2012 05:26AM
  • One Man's Love (The Highland Lords, #1)
  • The Dreamer (Highland Treasure, #1)
  • Midnight Honor (Highlands, #3)
  • The Scotsman
  • The Devil Wears Plaid
  • The Perfect Princess (Men of Special Branch #3)
  • Claimed by the Highland Warrior (MacKinloch Clan, #1)
  • Capture the Night
  • How to Abduct a Highland Lord (MacLean Curse, #1)
  • Temptation in a Kilt (Bad Boys of the Highlands, #1)
  • The Legend (Torridon, #1)
New York Times and USAToday best selling author Connie Brockway has twice won the Romance Writers of America's Rita award for best historical romance as well as being an eight time finalist. After receiving a double major in art history and English from Macalester College, Connie entered grad school with an eye to acquiring her MFA in creative writing. Soon enough she jettisoned the idea of writin ...more
More about Connie Brockway...

McClairen's Isle (3 books)
  • McClairen's Isle: The Reckless One (McClairen's Isle, #2)
  • McClairen's Isle: The Ravishing One (McClairen's Isle, #3)
As You Desire (Braxton, #1) My Dearest Enemy All Through the Night (Royal Agents #2) The Other Guy's Bride (Braxton, #2) The Bridal Season (Bridal Stories, #1)