Abuse Of Power

Abuse Of Power

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  446 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Rachel Simmons joins the police department of her small California city expecting to serve her community. But no one prepares her for the kind of service she will be called on to perform - or the price she will have to pay for her values and integrity. When she witnesses an incident of police corruption - and reports it - she must fight for her life and the safety of her l...more
Paperback
Published April 6th 1998 by Orion (first published March 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Abuse Of Power, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Abuse Of Power

Marti
Probably very seldom is a novel written about a woman police officer, and the problems that she faces in a predominantly man's world. Hopefully, the handful of 'dirty' men officers are not typical of the usual city force. The heroine, Rachel Simmons, years ago had to recover from being abducted as a child, and is now a widow with a three year old son and teenage daughter, working two jobs to make ends meet. Incidents of wrongdoing among her fellow officers begin, and what is she to do?
Luckngrace
A real barnburner of a police drama. Corruption, women's rights, whistle blower bravery with just a splash of romance.
Greg
Some female cop battles other cops who are corrupt. She manages to not compromise her values but it doesn't matter much because in the end, everyone except her daughter, turns against her. It is about a world without integrity where everyone has a price. The most exciting part of the story is when some lowlife male cop uses a sixteen year-old kid as a sheild when he is in the line of fire, even though the cop is already wearing a bulletproof vest.
Martha
I do not understand why there is police corruption in our world. It is always hard for me to believe. This book is very good based also on a female police officer that has gotten caught in the middle of the police corruption. How is the female police officer going to cope with the corruption of her fellow police officers in their department? OMG,I could not believe the ending. You must read to find out the end.
Torben
Alles in allem ein gewöhnlicher PolizistensindauchbösePolizistinstelltsichgegendiesesSystem-Krimi. Sich schreibt Frau Rosenberg besser als viele Kollegen, der Plot ist jetzt aber nicht sehr überraschend. Fängt langwierig an, ist in der Mitte spannend und vielversprechend und am Ende recht mittelmäßig. Ein Muss-Man-Nicht-Lesen-Buch und dafür auch etwas zu lang. Vielleicht auch nicht mein Genre.
Ernest
This book failed to take advantage of its powerful premise. The main character was fine enough, but there was not enough meat to the substance of the story to the extent that this book frustrated me in how much unfulfilled potential it had. Only the ending stopped it from being, for me, a total disappointment but as it is, I unfortunately cannot recommend it to anyone.
Melissa
Book #32 read in 2009

At first, I was uncomfortable with the idea in this book of police corruption. I know it exists, but it's not something I want to think about. But I LOVED this book. Yes, Rachel made some stupid decisions, but she stood on her principles. This was a great read!
Kristen
This novel deals with the police corruption. A true to form reality these days. In the end, it deals with a hard bittersweet blow in the end. A powerful read.
Priya
As with many struggles against the system and injustice, maintaining one's integrity and standing for truth, powerfully moving and inspiring.
Ralph McEwen
A well told tale of police corruption that we have become all to familiar with. This book is registered with bookcrossing.com.
Jamie Howerton
3.5 It was crazy and scary to read about these corrupt cops. If cops are doing wrong, who do you tell?
Ahmad Najmi
Tracy
Aug 05, 2010 Tracy added it
Amazing. Amazing. Amazing. This book will keep you interested from start to finish.
Pamela
One of many legal thrillers by this author. Fast, engrossing reading.
Bert
simply could not finish this "draggy" book.
Jackie Simons
Read 11/97
Suzette
Suzette marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2014
  • Presumption of Death (Nina Reilly, #9)
  • The Final Judgment
  • The Attorney (Paul Madriani, #5)
  • Missing
  • Firefox Down! (Mitchell Gant, #2)
  • The Unbidden Truth (Barbara Holloway #8)
  • Looking Back
  • Blind Justice: A Novel of Suspense (Ben Kencaid, #2)
  • The Associate (Amanda Jaffe, #2)
  • Beaches II: I'll Be There
  • Suspicion of Betrayal (Gail Connor and Anthony Quintana #4)
  • Wish Come True (Carson Springs Novel)
  • Homecoming: Earth (Omnibus) (Homecoming Saga, #4-5)
  • A Season for Murder (Mitchell and Markby Village, #2)
  • Salt Dancers
  • P.S. I Love You
  • Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl (The Junior Novelization)
  • Goodbye, Janette
With a BA in English and 5 years as a photographic model behind her, Nancy Taylor Rosenberg studied criminology. She served in the Dallas Police Department, New Mexico State Police, Ventura Police Department and as an Investigative Probation Officer in Court Services for the Country of Ventura where she handled major crimes. She lives in California.
More about Nancy Taylor Rosenberg...
Mitigating Circumstances (Lily Forrester, #1) First Offense Trial By Fire Buried Evidence (Lily Forrester, #2) Sullivan's Law (Carolyn Sullivan, #1)