Start by marking “Marvin K. Mooney Will You Please Go Now! (Bright & Early Books(R))” as Want to Read:
Marvin K. Mooney Will You Please Go Now! (Bright & Early Books(R))

Marvin K. Mooney Will You Please Go Now! (Bright & Early Books(R))

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  5,021 ratings  ·  180 reviews
In merry verse and illustrations, Marvin is asked to leave by every conceivable means of transportation. ...more
Library Binding, 36 pages
Published August 12th 1972 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published August 12th 1971)

Be the first to ask a question about Marvin K. Mooney Will You Please Go Now! (Bright & Early Books

Anne
Not the best Seuss out there. Tried to read this to my daughter last month, but she kept trying to shut the book. As another reviewer mentioned, the whole 'story' seems a little rude and pointless.

However, I have to admit that there are a few kids in my neighborhood who have that Marvin K. Mooney feel to them.
There is this one kid that I literally have to force out of my house! Gah! Is it so wrong of me to expect other parents to eventually come get their kid?! Set a time limit people! How woul
Derek
My son is at a building-vocabulary age: he points at objects, grunting inarticulately and looking expectantly at the nearest adult. If the name isn't too complex he'll repeat it back to you in mangled form. Dr. Seuss books tend to the problematic as far as this noble pursuit goes. They're filled with weird things not normally found in the real world, forcing me to either feed my son's tender, melonlike head with nonsense and hope that what I put in there will never, ever backfire ("Yes, son, tha ...more
Shelly
I've had this book for years, but just recently re-read it. It was great as a kid, but as an adult it's not for as great as I remember. One of the reasons I so love Dr. Seuss is because his books are funny, silly, zany - and they sometimes make a really good point in such a sneaky way that kids don't even really realize they are learning to be better by being like Yertle the Turtle or Horton. This one - not so much. No real point to it, which is fine, but the yelling at the character Marvin to G ...more
midnightfaerie
Another great Dr. Seuss. My 5 yr old reads this level 1 reading book to his younger brothers and loves the rhyming. While my 3 yr old twins love repeating the strict admonishment for Marvin to leave! The pictures are always fun and spark innovation for new creations such as Ga-Zoom made out of Legos. A big favorite in our house.
jacky
People are always shocked when I say I haven't read Green Eggs and Ham. Instead, I read this one. It is the same kind of set up where Marvin is asked to go away all different ways that rhyme. I used to read this at my doctor's office.

I was just reading a review of Yertle the Turtle (which is one I"m not sure I read), and it said that this is about Nixon! Wow, I need to read this as an adult!
Holly Letson
I always love finding Dr. Seuss books that I have not read. They always house amazing and crazy stuff that feeds the imagination. This no exception, as it takes you on a thrill ride through all the fun and interesting ways that Marvin K. Mooney could leave from where he is being asked to go from.
Suzanne
One of my husband's favorites to read to our kids. They knew all the lines by heart and could fill in the verse. Alwyas wondered what Marvin did that warranted the wish for him to leave.
Guadalupe Sanchez
Marvin K. Mooney will you please go now! By Dr. Seuss
Genre: Children’s Literature Reading Level: K-2 grade Format: good

Throughout the entire story the narrator tells Marvin K. Mooney that it is time for him to go. Where, what and how he leaves is not important just as long as he leaves. The narrator tells Marvin K. Mooney, “you can go on stilts, You can go by fish, You can go in a crank-car if you wish” (Suess, 1972). Despite being told to leave Marvin does not seem convinced to leave. Until fin
Angelica Flores
Throughout the entire story the narrator tells Marvin K. Mooney that it is time for him to go. Where, what and how he leaves is not important just as long as he leaves. The narrator tells Marvin K. Mooney, “you can go on stilts, You can go by fish, You can go in a crank-car if you wish” (Seuss, 1972, p.6). Despite being told to leave Marvin does not seem convinced to leave. Until finally he decides to head out on his own two feet at the end of the story. This book can be used in the curriculum f ...more
Another Dr. Seuss classic! This beginner book is a fun and easy read for kids! This book informs children on all the different and clever ways they can leave a place. In the book we want Marvin K Mooney to go, by foot or by cow, we don't really care how, just go now!

This book screams typical Dr. Seuss just from the cover; many colors, typical font and the same style characters. With only a couple of words per page, and all of the words being the early childhood words, this is the perfect beginne
Shannon The Show Stopper
Marvin K Mooney will probably be the last name I remember when I'm old! LOL
Michelle McBeth
This early reader by Dr. Seuss is what I believe he is all about--teaching kids to read in a fun and nonsensical way. There is really no story line here. It is time for Marvin K. Mooney to go so we are asking him to go by any transportation he wishes as long as he goes now. The interesting repetitiveness is what makes these books so fun. And while most of the text is quite simple, he throws some new words in like stilts and camels, but the illustrations make it obvious what the words are.

Dr. Seu
Kathleen Dixon
This isn't one of my children's books that I always think "Oh, I love that book", but despite that, every time I read it I enjoy it thoroughly. It has all the usual quirky Dr Seuss things - strange vehicles, odd animals, super-short phrases, and easy rhymes.

It also has one of those story endings that catch you unprepared - there's poor Marvin being told in no uncertain terms that he has to go (NOW), throughout which he looks completely unfazed, and then off he goes without a murmur. Wonderful!

I
babyhippoface
It's time for Marvin to go. But he's just standing there. So the narrator goes to great lengths to tell Marvin all the ways he could leave, and he doesn't even care which one he chooses, just as long as he GOES!

I read this to PreK when they're learning about transportation. They just like the parts where the narrator yells, "GO!" :)

My favorite bit of trivia about this book: Dr. Seuss himself, Ted Geisel, once marked out the name "Marvin K. Mooney" throughout a copy of the book and replaced it wi
Sarah Sammis
Marvin K. Mooney Will You Please Go Now! by Dr. Seuss was published a year before I was born. I probably had it read to me but beyond the funny dog eared Marvin and the pointing fingers on the cover, that's all I remember from those early years. I'm now reading it to my children.

Like Cat in the Hat, Marvin K. Mooney.. uses a limited vocabulary and a rhyming scheme to be easy but fun to read. The book is full of intense emotion and lots of shouting which lends itself to overly theatrical performa
Liz
Week 6: Favorite Dr. Seuss book

Marvin K. Mooney is asked to go but he will not budget. He is given various options but he ignores that all. It isn't until Marvin decides on his that it is time to go, that he goes.

"Marvin K. Mooney Will You Please Go Now" is appropriate for ages 3+.

"Marvin K. Mooney Will You Please Go Now" and "Go Dog Dog" were the first two books that I learned to read, perhaps that is why this has always been my favorite Dr. Seuss book. The illustrations in this book are dire
Rachel
Wonderful beginning reader with repetition, large print, varying text size to keep a reader's interest and bright, bold illustrations. This was one of my older sister's favorite books, perhaps because she could read this to me and loudly tell me how the "time has come to go, go, GO, I don't care how" without getting in trouble from our mom. Highly recommended.
Paula Heller
This a silly book for any child who loves to smile and laugh. The book shows children how to have an open mind and teaches them that anything is possible through imagination. They will enjoy listening to all the different ways the character, Mooney, is asked to leave a place. The book is also filled with colorful illustrations and rhyming words.

Amber the Human
Had the lovely opportunity to listen to my husband read this to a three-year-old while we were babysitting. Man, the guy who really wants Marvin to go is so mad. And with no explanation. But Seuss was fun like that. Didn't give you all the info. I suppose it would be fun to come up with ideas as to why Marvin needs to leave ...
Sarah Federspiel
This is another one of the Dr. Seuss classics that introduces children to basic forms of poetry. In the story, an individual tells Marvin K. Mooney to go away in a variety of different ways. I would like to use this book in my future classroom as a tool to introduce poetry that is both clever and engaging enough for young students.
Chris
Not one of the essential must-reads of any child, this book was one of my favorites. It's author, Dr. Seuss says just about all there is to know about this book. It was one of my beloved books as a kid, and there are rarely ever any dry eyes by the time the child gets done reading this book.
Edward Creter
Poor Marvin!!! His parentals are trying sooo hard to rid him from their lives any way they possibly can!!! Boat, train, car train, even, oddly enough, camels with books on their humps!!! He'll leave of course.... eventually. Classic Seuss...but then, what else did you expect? KING LEAR????
Eleanor West
The time has come and Marvin K. Mooney is told to ‘go now!’. He can go by foot or by hat, by Zike-Bike or Zumble-Zay, no one cares how as long as he gets! Soon Marvin K. Mooney got the message and went.

Written in the classic Dr.Suess style, ‘Marvin K. Mooney will you please go now!’ is fun, quirky and creative. The images are vibrant and imaginative. This book would be a great source for teaching reading skills to KS1 and EAL pupils as its poetic style provides a strong utensil for teaching rhym
Elizabeth Brown
I would use this book for a social emotional discussion. For example, if some one is bothering you or if you just don't feel like being bothered, you could ask them nicely to go away. The rhyming words are what makes this good a good literature book.
Keren
Great Dr. Seuss classic. It has all the usual quirky Dr Seuss things - strange vehicles, odd animals, super-short phrases, and easy rhymes. A fun, quick read for little ones and beginning readers. I just can't help to wonder WHY... Marvin K. Mooney had to leave.
Andrew Stockle
This is typical Dr. Seuss. It is about the need for Marvin K. Mooney to “go away”. Moreover the book describes all of the different ways Marvin could do just that. This book uses a very bright color scheme; it is very reflective of the silly nature of the book. It is short but can help challenge and expand vocabulary as well as a child’s ability to read out loud. It also teaches the basics of rhyming. It is for all these reasons that I would use this book in my classroom. Challenging vocabulary, ...more
Taylor Milano
Karen
Not my favorite Seuss book (unless you are trying to get rid of a pesky house-guest or house-mate), but my five-year-old son read most of it by himself and HE thought it was funny, so that is worth quite a lot.

Linda Branich
I didn't care much for this book, but it does follow the Dr. Seuss tradition of being written in rhyme with repetition, whimsical illustrations, and easy-to-read font. This edition has a durable hard cover.
Jacqueline Gary
This is not one of my favorite Dr. Seuss books. This book does not have a point to it. It just keeps telling Marvin to get out. This book in my opinion is not teaching children to be kind to one another.
Seuss Lovers: Marvin K. Mooney will you please go now! 1 0 Dec 06, 2012 06:45PM
  • He Bear, She Bear
  • The Digging-est Dog (Beginner Books)
  • The Hair Book (Bright & Early Book)
  • It's Not Easy Being Big! (Bright & Early Books)
  • Shoo, Fly Guy! (Fly Guy, #3)
  • Curious George at the Aquarium
  • Peter Pan and Wendy (Disney's Wonderful World of Reading)
  • Can You Tell Me How to Get to Sesame Street?
  • There's No Place Like Space: All About Our Solar System (Cat in the Hat's Learning Library)
  • Gus Was A Friendly Ghost
  • Sam and the Firefly
  • Llama Llama Hoppity-Hop
More about Dr. Seuss...
Green Eggs and Ham The Cat in the Hat Oh, The Places You'll Go! How the Grinch Stole Christmas! The Lorax