Start by marking “Marvin K. Mooney Will You Please Go Now! (Bright & Early Books(R))” as Want to Read:
Marvin K. Mooney Will You Please Go Now! (Bright & Early Books(R))

Marvin K. Mooney Will You Please Go Now! (Bright & Early Books(R))

3.94  ·  Rating Details  ·  5,510 Ratings  ·  202 Reviews
In merry verse and illustrations, Marvin is asked to leave by every conceivable means of transportation. ...more
Library Binding, 36 pages
Published August 12th 1972 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published August 12th 1971)

Be the first to ask a question about Marvin K. Mooney Will You Please Go Now! (Bright & Early Books

Neda
من راستش از پایانش سر درنیاوردم.. اما اولهاش برام بامزه بود.
Derek
Nov 09, 2012 Derek rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
My son is at a building-vocabulary age: he points at objects, grunting inarticulately and looking expectantly at the nearest adult. If the name isn't too complex he'll repeat it back to you in mangled form. Dr. Seuss books tend to the problematic as far as this noble pursuit goes. They're filled with weird things not normally found in the real world, forcing me to either feed my son's tender, melonlike head with nonsense and hope that what I put in there will never, ever backfire ("Yes, son, tha ...more
Anne
Jun 15, 2011 Anne rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-children
Not the best Seuss out there. Tried to read this to my daughter last month, but she kept trying to shut the book. As another reviewer mentioned, the whole 'story' seems a little rude and pointless.

However, I have to admit that there are a few kids in my neighborhood who have that Marvin K. Mooney feel to them.
There is this one kid that I literally have to force out of my house! Gah! Is it so wrong of me to expect other parents to eventually come get their kid?! Set a time limit people! How woul
Shelly
Jun 13, 2011 Shelly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
I've had this book for years, but just recently re-read it. It was great as a kid, but as an adult it's not for as great as I remember. One of the reasons I so love Dr. Seuss is because his books are funny, silly, zany - and they sometimes make a really good point in such a sneaky way that kids don't even really realize they are learning to be better by being like Yertle the Turtle or Horton. This one - not so much. No real point to it, which is fine, but the yelling at the character Marvin to G ...more
jacky
Aug 04, 2007 jacky rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: early-reader
People are always shocked when I say I haven't read Green Eggs and Ham. Instead, I read this one. It is the same kind of set up where Marvin is asked to go away all different ways that rhyme. I used to read this at my doctor's office.

I was just reading a review of Yertle the Turtle (which is one I"m not sure I read), and it said that this is about Nixon! Wow, I need to read this as an adult!
midnightfaerie
Aug 15, 2013 midnightfaerie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
Another great Dr. Seuss. My 5 yr old reads this level 1 reading book to his younger brothers and loves the rhyming. While my 3 yr old twins love repeating the strict admonishment for Marvin to leave! The pictures are always fun and spark innovation for new creations such as Ga-Zoom made out of Legos. A big favorite in our house.
Suzanne
One of my husband's favorites to read to our kids. They knew all the lines by heart and could fill in the verse. Alwyas wondered what Marvin did that warranted the wish for him to leave.
Shannon The Show Stopper
Marvin K Mooney will probably be the last name I remember when I'm old! LOL
Kathleen Dixon
This isn't one of my children's books that I always think "Oh, I love that book", but despite that, every time I read it I enjoy it thoroughly. It has all the usual quirky Dr Seuss things - strange vehicles, odd animals, super-short phrases, and easy rhymes.

It also has one of those story endings that catch you unprepared - there's poor Marvin being told in no uncertain terms that he has to go (NOW), throughout which he looks completely unfazed, and then off he goes without a murmur. Wonderful!

I
babyhippoface
It's time for Marvin to go. But he's just standing there. So the narrator goes to great lengths to tell Marvin all the ways he could leave, and he doesn't even care which one he chooses, just as long as he GOES!

I read this to PreK when they're learning about transportation. They just like the parts where the narrator yells, "GO!" :)

My favorite bit of trivia about this book: Dr. Seuss himself, Ted Geisel, once marked out the name "Marvin K. Mooney" throughout a copy of the book and replaced it wi
Sarah Sammis
Marvin K. Mooney Will You Please Go Now! by Dr. Seuss was published a year before I was born. I probably had it read to me but beyond the funny dog eared Marvin and the pointing fingers on the cover, that's all I remember from those early years. I'm now reading it to my children.

Like Cat in the Hat, Marvin K. Mooney.. uses a limited vocabulary and a rhyming scheme to be easy but fun to read. The book is full of intense emotion and lots of shouting which lends itself to overly theatrical performa
Liz
Week 6: Favorite Dr. Seuss book

Marvin K. Mooney is asked to go but he will not budget. He is given various options but he ignores that all. It isn't until Marvin decides on his that it is time to go, that he goes.

"Marvin K. Mooney Will You Please Go Now" is appropriate for ages 3+.

"Marvin K. Mooney Will You Please Go Now" and "Go Dog Dog" were the first two books that I learned to read, perhaps that is why this has always been my favorite Dr. Seuss book. The illustrations in this book are dire
Eleanor West
Sep 07, 2013 Eleanor West rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The time has come and Marvin K. Mooney is told to ‘go now!’. He can go by foot or by hat, by Zike-Bike or Zumble-Zay, no one cares how as long as he gets! Soon Marvin K. Mooney got the message and went.

Written in the classic Dr.Suess style, ‘Marvin K. Mooney will you please go now!’ is fun, quirky and creative. The images are vibrant and imaginative. This book would be a great source for teaching reading skills to KS1 and EAL pupils as its poetic style provides a strong utensil for teaching rhym
T Crockett
Mar 02, 2016 T Crockett rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
It entertained a group of 3 yr olds, but I think it would appeal even more to slightly older kids. I can imagine someone just getting into phonics and becoming interested in words really enjoying the repetition of short words like "go" and "now".
Andd Becker
It is weird that the reader does not know who Marvin K. Mooney is, or who is telling him to go, or why.
There is a long list of ways for Marvin to go: on skates, on skis, in a hat, by bike, on a Zike-Bike, in an old blue shoe, on stilts, by fish, in a crunk-car, by lion's tail, by mail (after stamping self), in a Zumble-Zay, by balloon, by broomstick, by camel in a bureau drawer, by Bumble-Boat, by jet, by Ga-Zoom.
Without the author telling the reader what precipitates the departure, or how th
May 03, 2015 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another Dr. Seuss classic! This beginner book is a fun and easy read for kids! This book informs children on all the different and clever ways they can leave a place. In the book we want Marvin K Mooney to go, by foot or by cow, we don't really care how, just go now!

This book screams typical Dr. Seuss just from the cover; many colors, typical font and the same style characters. With only a couple of words per page, and all of the words being the early childhood words, this is the perfect beginne
Andrew Stockle
This is typical Dr. Seuss. It is about the need for Marvin K. Mooney to “go away”. Moreover the book describes all of the different ways Marvin could do just that. This book uses a very bright color scheme; it is very reflective of the silly nature of the book. It is short but can help challenge and expand vocabulary as well as a child’s ability to read out loud. It also teaches the basics of rhyming. It is for all these reasons that I would use this book in my classroom. Challenging vocabulary, ...more
Michelle McBeth
This early reader by Dr. Seuss is what I believe he is all about--teaching kids to read in a fun and nonsensical way. There is really no story line here. It is time for Marvin K. Mooney to go so we are asking him to go by any transportation he wishes as long as he goes now. The interesting repetitiveness is what makes these books so fun. And while most of the text is quite simple, he throws some new words in like stilts and camels, but the illustrations make it obvious what the words are.

Dr. Seu
Rachel
Aug 15, 2015 Rachel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful beginning reader with repetition, large print, varying text size to keep a reader's interest and bright, bold illustrations. This was one of my older sister's favorite books, perhaps because she could read this to me and loudly tell me how the "time has come to go, go, GO, I don't care how" without getting in trouble from our mom. Highly recommended.
David
Feb 03, 2016 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2-3-4-class
Marvin K Mooney will you please go now.
I liked it because it is a funny book.
I like the repetition and the rhyme.
Marvin is the main character.
It is written by Dr Seuss.

Lilly M
Paula Heller
This a silly book for any child who loves to smile and laugh. The book shows children how to have an open mind and teaches them that anything is possible through imagination. They will enjoy listening to all the different ways the character, Mooney, is asked to leave a place. The book is also filled with colorful illustrations and rhyming words.

Sarah Federspiel
This is another one of the Dr. Seuss classics that introduces children to basic forms of poetry. In the story, an individual tells Marvin K. Mooney to go away in a variety of different ways. I would like to use this book in my future classroom as a tool to introduce poetry that is both clever and engaging enough for young students.
Amber the Human
Had the lovely opportunity to listen to my husband read this to a three-year-old while we were babysitting. Man, the guy who really wants Marvin to go is so mad. And with no explanation. But Seuss was fun like that. Didn't give you all the info. I suppose it would be fun to come up with ideas as to why Marvin needs to leave ...
Edward Creter
Jul 21, 2014 Edward Creter rated it really liked it
Poor Marvin!!! His parentals are trying sooo hard to rid him from their lives any way they possibly can!!! Boat, train, car train, even, oddly enough, camels with books on their humps!!! He'll leave of course.... eventually. Classic Seuss...but then, what else did you expect? KING LEAR????
Holly Letson
I always love finding Dr. Seuss books that I have not read. They always house amazing and crazy stuff that feeds the imagination. This no exception, as it takes you on a thrill ride through all the fun and interesting ways that Marvin K. Mooney could leave from where he is being asked to go from.
Keren
Jun 26, 2014 Keren rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: peer-showcase
Great Dr. Seuss classic. It has all the usual quirky Dr Seuss things - strange vehicles, odd animals, super-short phrases, and easy rhymes. A fun, quick read for little ones and beginning readers. I just can't help to wonder WHY... Marvin K. Mooney had to leave.
Elizabeth Brown
I would use this book for a social emotional discussion. For example, if some one is bothering you or if you just don't feel like being bothered, you could ask them nicely to go away. The rhyming words are what makes this good a good literature book.
Jaimie
Dec 26, 2015 Jaimie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Even for a Seuss book, this book made very little sense. Why is poor Marvin K. Mooney being told to go? Where is he supposed to go? What has he done to befit this banishment? Poor Marvin K. Mooney!
Guadalupe Sanchez
Marvin K. Mooney will you please go now! By Dr. Seuss
Genre: Children’s Literature Reading Level: K-2 grade Format: good

Throughout the entire story the narrator tells Marvin K. Mooney that it is time for him to go. Where, what and how he leaves is not important just as long as he leaves. The narrator tells Marvin K. Mooney, “you can go on stilts, You can go by fish, You can go in a crank-car if you wish” (Suess, 1972). Despite being told to leave Marvin does not seem convinced to leave. Until fin
Rima Aroutiounian
May 29, 2014 Rima Aroutiounian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1
Great rhyming fun story from Dr. Seuss for kindergartners and also for toddlers too. Big letters, rhyming that will help with phonological awareness and print motivation.
Seuss Lovers: Marvin K. Mooney will you please go now! 1 0 Dec 06, 2012 06:45PM
  • He Bear, She Bear
  • Snug House, Bug House (Bright & Early Books)
  • Can You Tell Me How to Get to Sesame Street?
  • The Nose Book
  • There's No Place Like Space: All About Our Solar System (Cat in the Hat's Learning Library)
  • Fly Guy Meets Fly Girl (Fly Guy, #8)
  • The Hair Book (Bright & Early Book)
  • It's Not Easy Being Big! (Bright & Early Books)
  • Peter Pan and Wendy (Disney's Wonderful World of Reading)
  • Big Dog...Little Dog: A Bedtime Story