Start by marking “Kiss and Run: The Single, Picky, and Indecisive Girl's Guide to Overcoming Fear of Commitment” as Want to Read:

You May Be Commitment-Phobic If:

You have a mile-long list of requirements for your ideal mate

You go from one short-lived relationship to the next

You have a habit of dating "unavailable" men

You think many of your married friends have settled for less

You are constantly blowing "hot" and "cold" in your relationships

For years, it was the men who had the monopoly on com
Published February 6th 2007 by Touchstone (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Kiss and Run, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kiss and Run

Peggy
Sep 27, 2007 Peggy rated it really liked it
Every single commitment phobic gal (and guy) should read this book. As soon as I picked it up, I was like oh, my God that's me! The author outlines 7 different ways we run from commitment and why we do it...serial dating so that we don't have time to fully invest in a relationship, knowingly dating emotionally unavailable people, nitpicking to find fault even in a person who has it pretty much together, being in long distance relationships, but not really being in them...the list goes on and on. ...more
Alli
Feb 10, 2013 Alli rated it really liked it
Self-help books always fill me with an overwhelming sense of shame, but the epiphany I had after reading this is completely worth it. I've been dealing with a lot of relationship ish lately and parts of this book freaked me out because she was describing how I felt EXACTLY. Yes, it's a little cheesy and dated (Demi and Ashton as an example of a happy healthy relationship?), but once you get past the sassy you-go-girl Sex and the City Talk, there is some good advice there.

Take the quiz at the be
Jane
Jan 31, 2008 Jane rated it liked it
I'm definitely a Free Spirit, partially a Damsel in Distress and I just squeak into Player. C'mon everyone, fess up.

This is a useful springboard to dive into your commitment issues (and most people have them).

But, like a college essay, Furman rams home her thesis (commit dammit!) a little too often and rather too baldly. She only makes exceptions to her point of view in the most dire of circumstances (abuse, neglect etc) and sometimes offers pretty weak arguments for commitment.

Eg. From Damsel
Janet
May 11, 2009 Janet rated it it was amazing
I don’t even remember where I heard about this book, but I asked our selector in charge of non-fiction to buy it. Halfway through I kept fighting the urge to pick up a highlighter and scribble all over it. I struggled for about twenty more minutes before I jumped in my car and drove to the bookstore for my very own copy. This is a godsend to all the women out there wondering what’s wrong with them in the relationship department. I felt so much better knowing there were women out there just as s ...more
Bita
Aug 26, 2008 Bita rated it liked it
Recommends it for: potential commitment-phobes
i learned... i'm a commitmentphobe. no seriously. it's cool. i've accepted it. the book basically characterized different types of phobes and how to recognize one's weaknesses (honestly), as well as friendly hints on how to alleviate them. I appreciated the book mainly because it made me feel like I wasn't the only 'crazy' self-destructive girl out there. best part... 'anyone that tells you they just KNOW, is lying' don't listen to your guts too hard if you're a commitment-phobe, your guts are r ...more
Kelly
Jun 23, 2008 Kelly rated it liked it
About half done with this, and I recognized myself in the subjects from the start. Maybe this will help me get over my commitment and intimacy issues and I can join the rest of the world in wedded "bliss" OR I will definitively be able to answer that marriage isn't for me. Either way, I hope I find the answer. (Thanks for the lend, Peggy!)

***Upon completion, I would self-assign as 80% Free Spirit, 20% Nitpicker. . . You may not agree, friends, but I read the book. LOL.***
Erika
Jul 05, 2012 Erika rated it liked it
This book was OK - psychology lite. I'm not the target market for it, so that may be why it didn't speak to me. But if I had been the target, I would have felt like the book told me what my problem was but didn't tell me how to fix it. That part seemed glossed over. I also felt like the author was assuming all of the readers were phobic to commitment, and I'm sure people's real issues are more complex than this cut-and-dried version. But, it was entertaining.
Shelley
Feb 23, 2010 Shelley rated it it was amazing
I have to come out and say it--there is such a thing as female commitment-phobia and I've seen so much of it in this generation of single women.

I found this book to be a wonderful support to dealing with the fear of dating and identify the source of the phobia.

A must read for any still-single girl.
Taylor
May 12, 2014 Taylor rated it liked it
I found this book to be fun and quite witty. there were some questionable statements in the book that I didn't quite agree with. However, the book gave a good viewof the workaholic woman and what can happen when you run away from making large romantic choices. Overall, it was a good read.
8rittany
Sep 18, 2013 8rittany rated it it was ok
Furman identifies the various manifestations of commitment issues, but offers little insight into overcoming them. If you merely need to diagnose yourself (or someone else) with commitment-phobia, this book is for you. If you already know you have the issue, Kiss and Run will be of little benefit.
Kate Zirkle
Mar 09, 2008 Kate Zirkle rated it it was amazing
Shelves: self-help
This book helped me realize so much about myself. You have to be ready to accept it though. Only for mature people.
Rue
Dec 20, 2008 Rue rated it really liked it
wow. its starting to make sense. i am a total free spirit and thats not really a good thing
Rachel
Jul 01, 2007 Rachel rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: people who like quizzes
Shelves: selfhelp
so, I got this book for the quizzes. And guess what! I'm commitment phobic. Duh.
Kristin Kane
Jan 10, 2008 Kristin Kane marked it as to-read
I would like to thank MoTay for sending me the MSN article for this book!
lovely-dee
Dec 12, 2008 lovely-dee rated it it was ok
I am officially nitpicker :-)
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2016
Jami
Jami marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2016
Barbara Orban
Barbara Orban marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2016
DdDzyree
DdDzyree marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2016
Diana
Diana rated it liked it
Jul 17, 2016
Shannon Black
Shannon Black marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2016
Lady Johren
Lady Johren marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2016
Rachel Ann Brickner
Rachel Ann Brickner rated it really liked it
Aug 21, 2016
Meganseebalack
Meganseebalack marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2016
Jade
Jade rated it it was amazing
Jun 30, 2016
Amara
Amara marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2016
Jackie
Jackie marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2016
Christina
Christina is currently reading it
May 27, 2016
Krista Peterson
Krista Peterson rated it liked it
May 01, 2016
Amy Perez
Amy Perez rated it liked it
Mar 04, 2016