Start by marking “A Kiss of Shadows (Merry Gentry, #1)” as Want to Read:
A Kiss of Shadows (Merry Gentry, #1)

A Kiss of Shadows (Merry Gentry #1)

4.01  ·  Rating Details ·  45,189 Ratings  ·  1,520 Reviews
My name is Meredith 'Merry' Gentry, but of course it's not my real name. I dare not even whisper my true name after dark for fear that one hushed word will travel over the night winds to the soft ear of my aunt, the Queen of Air and Darkness. She wants me dead. I don't even know why...

I fled the high court of Faerie three years ago and have been in hiding ever since. As Me
Mass Market Paperback, 468 pages
Published March 28th 2006 by Ballantine Books (first published September 30th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about A Kiss of Shadows, please sign up.

Kristi I've read the other answers and not that I don't respect their opinions because I do and have gotten to read some wonderful series on recommendations.…moreI've read the other answers and not that I don't respect their opinions because I do and have gotten to read some wonderful series on recommendations. The Anita Blake series was good at the beginning. I have read probably 20 of the Anita Blakes and its very repetitive now. I really only read it bacause I'm so far in and would like to hear the end if there is one. Cassandra Palmer I did try and just wasn't impressed and didn't I don't think I finished the first book in the series that I started. I also read Sookie Stackhouse, great series! Read the Hallow also very good my suggestion though is the Fever series by Karen Marie Moning, absolutely AMAZING series an absolute MUST READ if you like the fantasy books.(less)
Dark Lover by J.R. WardTwilight by Stephenie MeyerHalfway to the Grave by Jeaniene FrostDead Until Dark by Charlaine HarrisDarkfever by Karen Marie Moning
Best Paranormal Romance Series
38th out of 990 books — 11,779 voters
Halfway to the Grave by Jeaniene FrostDarkfever by Karen Marie MoningMoon Called by Patricia BriggsDark Lover by J.R. WardMagic Bites by Ilona Andrews
Best ADULT Urban Fantasy and Paranormal Romance
52nd out of 3,010 books — 6,865 voters

More lists with this book...

Kat Kennedy
There was a lot about this book that I didn't like, but only some of it can be legitimately complained about.

I can't really complain about the amount and type of sex in this book like I could for Anita Blake because, unlike Anita Blake, this book is meant to have sex in it! It is Erotica.

Sure, the silent, gaping, hole where my soul is shrieking over the tentacle sex would be fun to discuss, but I really can't. I highly doubt many people would pick this book up without knowing that it's freaky be
Renee Nicole
Jul 23, 2016 Renee Nicole rated it really liked it
Recommended to Renee by: Diane ~Firefly~
I've created one long run-on sentence to plot this book for you. English majors, turn away now. Okay... Ready?

Merry has a boyfriend who used to be a seal and when they had sex he turned back into a seal so she ran away with a guy who has tentacles all over his torso and started to have sex with him but they were interrupted by a hag who she turned inside-out and thus found out that she was wanted back as a princess in her fey court which meant that she needed lots of sexy hunky guards all around
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

Laurell K. Hamilton is consistently a woman ahead of her time.

It started with her Anita Blake series back in 1993. Yes, that’s right—1993. I was . . . well, I’m not going to tell you how old I was in 1993, but suffice it to say, I was young enough that my mother wouldn’t want me reading an adult UF series, and that was BEFORE the Big Shift from straight-up UF to UF/erotica that took place in 2001 with book 10.

So first Hamilton was one of the pioneers in the Urban Fantasy
Daniel
Nov 21, 2008 Daniel rated it liked it
I would rank Hamilton as one of my favorite writers, but for her fatal flaw. She creates wonderful characters and settings, but inevitably she has to bog them down with in your face sexual situations.

Kiss of Shadows is no different. In this book Hamilton does a wonderful job of creating a strong female protagonist, Merry Gentry, and describes an intricate fairy world that she belongs to, full of strange creatures and filled with political intrigue. But in order to enjoy Hamilton's skill at descr
John
Nov 28, 2008 John rated it it was ok
When Lauren and I prepared to go to upstate NY a little over a week ago, we looked around the Providence library's website for audio books we could download. Although I wasn't familiar with her work, I'd heard an interview with Laurell K. Hamilton on one of the podcasts to which I listen, and the first book of her Anita Blake: Vampire Hunter series wasn't available, but the start of her newer Meredith Gentry series was available.

We've very much enjoyed Jim Butcher's Harry Dresden series, and f
Diane
Dec 14, 2011 Diane rated it really liked it
4.5

It's like "Game of Thrones", but with fairies and sex. I love it.
Jilly
Aug 22, 2015 Jilly rated it really liked it
A girl could never have too much jewelry or too much weaponry.
Yeah, girl!

I'm waffling between 3 & 4 stars, so I rounded up. I saw the synopsis of this book and thought I would read it because I love anything Fae. I'm a Faerie-Lover. I love all of the crazy creatures - the dark and light. I love the folk-lore, and even love Fae politics. So, what would I not like about this book?

The only thing I didn't like was how much of a "Faerie-Lover" Merry Gentry is. She is more like a Faerie-whore be
Adrianna
Feb 03, 2010 Adrianna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Adult Women
Recommended to Adrianna by: Shelli
Shelves: fantasy
When my friend first recommended this author to me, I wasn't expecting much. If Laurell K. Hamilton was so good, why hadn't I heard of her before? One of the main reasons she remained under my book radar was because I usually stick to historical romances and even then specific authors of the genre. The first couple of pages in A Kiss of Shadows left me blown away. Hamilton creates a world that blends multiple genres: fantasy, science fiction, suspense/thriller, and even romance. I knew it would ...more
Crystal Starr Light
Merry Gentry lives in LA and works as a private detective, but in reality, she is Princess Meredith, a Sidhe Princess, niece to Queen Andais of the Unseelie Court. She has been in hiding for three years because her aunt is out to kill her. But she is discovered and must return to her home to face her aunt and Cel, the next in line to the throne.

You may be aware that I've been reading the Anita books and, well, don't really like them all that much. So why I am reading LKH's paranormal erotica ser
Tilly Slaton
Nov 14, 2011 Tilly Slaton rated it did not like it
Awhile back, my husband gave me a ton of new books. Laurell Hamilton was one of the authors and I was super stoked!

I read the entire Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter series at light speed. I love that series! And it was because of that series, that I suffered through the first book of the Meredith Gentry series.

Meredith Gentry is a fae princess in a volunteered exile, using glamour to hide her real identity from everyone.

I always give a series / a book a chance. I have to tell you, the ONLY reason I
Leanne
Jun 18, 2009 Leanne rated it it was ok
Shelves: paranormal, crime, romance
There are certain aspects that appear in all of Laurell K. Hamilton's books. For example:

Anita and Merry are both short. - Now, I don't mind this because I'm short too, so it makes me feel nice and at home.
Anita and Merry both have big boobs. - Okay, sure, I guess if we all had our wish we'd all have an ample bosom too.

But then we start getting a little more ridiculous...

Anita and Merry both like their men to be softer looking, more effeminate. - What is wrong with a little muscle? Or variety? I
Beanbag Love
Nov 12, 2009 Beanbag Love rated it really liked it
Just a quick one here. I got this as a Kindle freebie and I'd never read Laurell K. Hamilton so I was thrilled to take a look. It wasn't a totally exciting, satisfying read. But it's very good and the world is nice and specific.

It's not a romance. There's a lot of sex, but this is a story about fae politics, so it's all done with a different intent. It's also obviously the first in a series because we're left with many questions. A lot of characters are introduced and they can be hard to remembe
Jill
Oct 07, 2013 Jill rated it it was amazing
This was a re-read and still completely enjoyable. I really do love this dark, sexy faery world.
Men with ankle length hair, over six foot tall, hundreds of years old with interesting back stories. And of course the sexy Merry. Cannot wait until I get into the hotter and heavier stuff in the next books.
Lisa
I thought I'd give Laurell K Hamilton another chance, that my problems with the Anita Blake series might be confined to that series and Anita herself. I was wrong. In this, a different series starring Merry Gentry, the half-human sidhe princess, everything that irritated me most about Anita was front and centre; the feeling that the heroine is an author avatar for Hamtilon to 'live out' her fantasies, pages and pages of descriptions on the most awful outfits imaginable, the heroine standing ...more
Angela
Apr 07, 2014 Angela added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Angela by: Wendy
7 April 2014: $1.99 on Kindle - Had to share! Bwahahahaha!! Probably because there's a new book (finally) slated to come out this summer! Which I fully intend to read thanks to my masochism.

Thanks to my friend Cory's review of Blood Noir, Book 16 in the Anita Blake series, a massive group re-read/read has been scheduled for 1 September 2013. Go here for details, to check it out, or to join up.

As I'm not quite masochistic enough to make myself read the Anita Blake series, and I've been thinking a
Denisa
Ok, I have to admit, I liked it.

I'm not a big fan of so many strange sex partners, but I try to keep an opened mind and not to judge. Plus, there were some... interesting stuff from time to time.
What I really liked though was the world builder. The plot was pretty complex and the whole book just seemed to fly by. And seeing that there are (way too many) long, useless passages, that's saying something!
So yeah, I enjoyed this book, though it had its strange parts. I'd say it's worth a try at least
Aly is so frigging bored
This was a big surprise to me. I fully expected to hate it, but it's a very compelling and interesting read! I ended up almost loving it :D I couldn't wait to start book 2[I'm at 20% already]!
Bernard
Dec 04, 2008 Bernard rated it it was ok
Shelves: public-library
Similar to Stackhouse's Southern Vampire series, Butcher's Dresden files , or the author's other series – Anita Blake. A modern/fantasy tale, where magical elements are present and well known in the story setting. Our world, our technology, but with magic.

In this case it's the fairies. The Seelie & Unseelie Courts (and goblins etc) came to America back in President Jackson's time and live among us. They're also tabloid fodder. The protagonist is a private detective, who is actually a fairy p
Michael Sorensen
Apr 09, 2008 Michael Sorensen rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Women who enjoy their storybook sex in their face.
Shelves: old-favorites
I have enjoyed Laurell K. Hamilton's work for many years now, starting with the redoubtable Anita Blake. However, that series has devolved into what amounts to a sexual free for all (not that I have anything against sex, but I tend to like story more) in which she spends hundreds of pages in self-analysis over whether or not to have sex with this or that new person, animal, fay-thing, god, demon or whatever. The trouble with established bestselling authors is the power they began to weild over ...more
Rossana Peña Rivera
No se que decir, en serio que es un mundo totalmente diferente, la magia es única. De todos los mundos mágicos que leí hasta ahora este es uno de los que mas me a gustado, esta serie me gusto mucho. Estuve dudosa hasta que apareció Mr D. La obscuridad de la reina y luego su grupo de Bishonen hotties. La chica parece una gata callejera con su encanto. Me encanto Frost pero espero con impaciencia lo que Mr. D tiene para ella. Espero que el próximo libro sea menos introductorio a este mundo y se ...more
Loederkoningin
Kylie Minoque's music video "Slow" in book form.

Ne
Feb 04, 2015 Ne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biblioteca
O Beijo das Sombras revelou-se um livro deveras interessante.
Não consigo encontrar muitos pontos negativos, nem os procurei tal foi a concentração e envolvimento durante a leitura, mas continuo a achar que este livro é daqueles que nos prende enquanto o lemos e no final a magia se desvanece. Apesar de ter gostado, não fiquei com aquele "vazio", apenas com curiosidade.
É uma obra cheia de sensualidade, em que o sexo é descrito sem tabus e sob o ponto de vista de várias raças, algumas originárias d
Jess
Apr 05, 2009 Jess rated it really liked it
Very interesting story line. Much different from the Anita Blake series. This features Meredith Gentry who is a princess of the Unseelie court. However, she has been missing from that court for 3 years because her aunt (the queen of the Unseelie court of Darkness and air) had tried to kill her, and the others in court had been challenging her to duels. So she's been in hiding, forced to wear glamour so that no one recognized her.

She took a job in a detective agency, and in the course of an inves
Danielle (Danniegurl)
Jun 06, 2016 Danielle (Danniegurl) rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone who enjoys Anita Blake after book 9
This is a decent read, it's straddling the line of UF and Erotica as LKH is known to do. If you've read Anita then you know what to expect from LKH, sex, sex sex and more sex. At least this series is a bit more up front about it vs Anita.

The story is a bit disjointed I mean pretty much Merry is bed hopping as soon as we meet her and I couldn't figure out why or what the reasoning was behind it. Other than she is fey and likes sex.

The overall plot is interesting in this story to say the least. I
Sep 03, 2015 Jennifer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: para-faeries
The Good: I absolutely adore Merry and her men. I love her story. I love the entire world of faerie that Hamilton has created here - the hierarchy, the rules, the gritty brutalness of life for beings that look all pretty and dainty to outsiders. There is a mystery and there is graphically written sexuality, much like Hamilton's latter Anita Blake novels. This works well for the story and lets readers know what they're in for right in the start of the series.

The Bad: Not a thing.
Miriam
Aug 23, 2009 Miriam rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
There was some interesting world-building going, the foundations of the plot were laid... and then it turned out to be smut. Oh, well, I'd pretty much decided to give up on this author in the middle of her Anita Blake series, so I didn't have high expectations of this one.
Gary
Oct 28, 2015 Gary rated it did not like it
I didn't enjoy this story I nearly dnf
 ♥ Rainy Day Reader ♥
This book was absolutely not what I was expecting it to be. Truthfully I didn't think I'd like it. I think after this and the Fever series I've learned my lesson. I'm not sure why I've avoided faerie stories but I think my mind has been changed for me.

There's a lot going on in this book but it's not hard to follow. There's a lot of funny parts and some stuff that just grossed me out. I really liked Merry and her personality. Despite my usual need to have some love interest for the main characte
Buqet
Mar 13, 2012 Buqet rated it it was amazing
Konusu şöyle ; Merry periler ve insanların birlikte yaşadıkları bir dünyada oturmaktadır. Kendisi peri diyarının kayıp prensesidir. Öz halası onu öldürmek istediği perilerin sarayından kaçmış insanlar arasına karışmıştır. Beş yıla yakın insanlar arasında yaşar onlardan biri gibi davranır ta ki halası Perilerin Kraliçesi kayıp prensesi bula dek. Merry'nin peşinden adamlarını gönderir ve onu saraya geri götürür. Merry halasının kendisini öldüreceğini sanır ama halasının planları farklıdır.

Kraliçe
Melanie
This is a re-read and re-listen for me. I've loved this series since I first started with it years ago. I love the characters and all their different personalities. I have a tendency to enjoy books with lots of likable secondary characters and Ms. Hamilton's books are full of them.

I really like the back story that comes with each of these characters. They each have their own issues and their own personalities. Some of those things I love, and some get on my nerves. But as with real people, it is
  • Kissing Sin (Riley Jenson Guardian #2)
  • Pale Demon (The Hollows, #9)
  • Mona Lisa Darkening (Monère: Children of the Moon, #4)
  • Witchling (Otherworld/Sisters of the Moon #1)
  • Touch the Dark (Cassandra Palmer, #1)
  • Dime Store Magic (Women of the Otherworld, #3)
  • Chill Factor (Weather Warden, #3)
Laurell K. Hamilton is one of the leading writers of paranormal fiction. A #1 New York Times bestselling author, Hamilton writes the popular Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter novels and the Meredith Gentry series. She is also the creator of a bestselling comic book series based on her Anita Blake novels and published by Marvel Comics. Hamilton is a full-time writer and lives in the suburbs of St. Louis ...more
More about Laurell K. Hamilton...

Merry Gentry (9 books)
  • A Caress of Twilight (Merry Gentry, #2)
  • Seduced by Moonlight (Merry Gentry, #3)
  • A Stroke of Midnight (Merry Gentry, #4)
  • Mistral's Kiss (Merry Gentry, #5)
  • A Lick of Frost (Merry Gentry, #6)
  • Swallowing Darkness (Merry Gentry, #7)
  • Divine Misdemeanors (Merry Gentry, #8)
  • A Shiver of Light (Merry Gentry #9)

“Men don't settle down because of the right woman. They settle down because they are finally ready for it. Whatever woman they're dating when they get ready is the one they settle down with, not necessarily the best one or the prettiest, just the one who happened to be on hand when the time got to be right. Unromantic, but still true.” 627 likes
“A girl could never have too much jewelry or too much weaponry.” 148 likes