Start by marking “Will Work For Food Or $: A Memoir From The Roadside” as Want to Read:
Will Work For Food Or $: A Memoir From The Roadside

Will Work For Food Or $: A Memoir From The Roadside

3.13 of 5 stars 3.13  ·  rating details  ·  23 ratings  ·  11 reviews
When Bruce Moody was almost 60, he got fired. After a lifetime of writing and working contract jobs in-between, he found himself in a dire situation. Unable to find work as he always had before, he faced homelessness. He panicked, fell into a well of horror and shame. In desperation, Moody made a simple sign and began a life on the side of the road.With neither self-pity n...more
Hardcover
Published May 1st 2003 by Red Wheel

To ask other readers questions about Will Work For Food Or $, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Will Work For Food Or $

Krissy Obermark
I'm sad to say that for me this book was a chore to read. The author spent a lot of time discussing plays and actors, and each time my eyes would glaze over a bit. The parts about the roadside were interesting and made me reflect on my own thoughts and prejudices. However, that could have been accomplished in a short essay rather than a thick memoir. I thought that reading this book would make me a better person, and I was totally wrong.
Holly Jenkins
Yawwwwnnnnn. I forced myself to finish the book. Everyone has a story...& this was his during this time. Nice reminder that not everyone on the street is a drunk or drug user. Not exactly a page turner though.
Rachel Risinger
Nothing will make you appreciate that not so great job in that not so great office with those not so interesting tasks than reading a well written and thought provoking memoir of someone who possesses none of the above. One expects this to be a tale of moral terpitude and eventual redemption from the demons that brought Mr. Moody to this sad state of affairs. One would be disappointed.

Do not get me wrong, I enjoyed this book, it was ultimately readable and I am a better person for the experienc...more
Christopher Elliott
The concept of the book was very intriguing. However I was left thinking that much more could have been accomplished with the subject matter. I also felt like it was a slow read, you know the kind where you feel like you've been reading for awhile and then you notice you've only made it through a couple of pages. I didn't hate the book by any means, but I also didn't love it. I found myself while reading the book thinking that this guy really isn't the person I would put as the face of the roads...more
Christina
A personal memoir about a man down on his luck, who turns to panhandling for food and money to make ends meets. He owns a car and pays for rent and gas and once for acting lessons with the money he earns. It's a perspective most of us have never considered let alone experienced.
Rosie
this book had many good reviews and I wanted to like it..it put me in mind of the book "Nickel and Dimed" But I just couldnt follow it.
It jumped around and was just very disorganized. I had to go back and reread something in order understand it

didnt finish it
Catherine
I read this a few years ago and enjoyed the book for the most part. Moody loses his job in his late fifties and resorts to panhandling by the side of the road in San Francisco. Unfortunately, the subject matter is probably more timely today.
Carrie
Very interesting. I'll never look at a roadside panhandler in the same way.
Mindie
Inspiring, but boring in parts. Skimmed through a lot of it.
Mark
A very eye opening book about the guys you see that hold the signs.
Janice
Honest self-reflection...we need more of that.
Mariah Carey
Mariah Carey marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2014
Lucía
Lucía added it
Feb 25, 2014
Jenny
Jenny is currently reading it
Sep 13, 2013
Sooz
Sooz added it
Mar 08, 2013
Rita
Rita marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2012
Laura marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2012
Amy
Amy added it
Mar 29, 2012
Christmas Day In The Morning The Way My Heart Is: The Story Of Bruce Moody's Life