Knight of Shadows (Amber Chronicles, #9)

Knight of Shadows (The Chronicles of Amber #9)

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  4,765 ratings  ·  39 reviews
Melvin Corey must choose between an alliance with the Pattern of Amber or the Pattern of Chaos, in a tale of a sometimes murderous family of wizards and their alternate worlds.
Published November 1st 1989 by William Morrow & Co

Dan Schwent
Merlin continues to search for his father, Corwin, and Mask, the mysterious usurper of the Keep of Four Worlds who is someone from Merlin's past, and Coral, Oberon's illegitimate child who dissappeared after walking the Pattern in the previous book. Along the way, he learns of the way of the Broken Pattern, nabs the Jewel of Judgement, and encounters Pattern Ghosts. Just what do mysterious forces have in store for Merlin?

As I said in my review of the previous volume, the second Chronicles of Amb...more
Fred D
Some say the second Amer Series focusing on Merlin was not as good as the original. I tend to disagree. I liked the second series for different reasons than the first. Corwin was more of a fighter, Merlin a magic-user. I enjoyed Zelazny's detailed descriptions of how Merlin cast spells. I enjoyed the humor in the second series more than in the first. Following the convoluted plot and intrigues and mystery was also very entertaining.
Cathy
Ended better than it started. Didn't enjoy the quest any more than Merle did. Got better once the normal pace resumed.
William Gerke
Penultimate of the Merlin books and one of the weaker entries. Large portions of it are taken up by an admittedly allegorical contest that, while sparking some interesting imagery, largely consists of Merlin running on a set of rails. The one really bright spark is a confrontation in the halls of Amber that does some serious damage to the local architecture. Adequate for what it is, but not Zelazny's best effort.
Chris
The nadir of the Amber chronicles.
Felix

German edition - German review:

Nach dem Kampf um den Hort der vier Welten wird Merlin in eine Ebene zwischen den Schatten versetzt. Von diesem surrealen Ort voller Geistererscheinungen gibt es kein Entkommen und die Mächte von Muster und Logrus verlangen eine Entscheidung von Merlin. Wem wird er fortan dienen, der Schlange oder dem Einhorn?

Die Episode in dem Zwischenreich erinnert an die Questen des spätmittelalterlichen höfischen Romans, mit seinen allegorischen âventiuren. Auf Dauer ging mir d...more
Michael R.
I didn't care for this 9th book in the Amber series.

Which is suprising because I really like books with a lot action, and lots of short dialog. But this book was so much nonstop chaos (not unlike the realm of Chaos), it was too much to enjoy. And it seemed amatuerish. First is the aftermath of the fight for the Keep with Mandor and Jarsa vs. Julia and Jurt. Next an explaination from Jarsa that she trained Julia, who Merlin thought had persihed previously, to kill Merlin. Already the storyline is...more
Wise_owl
One of the problems with reading a series of books in rapid succession is that you run out of things to say if your planing on reviewing it.

Like other in the series this book picks up pretty much where the last one left off, and often makes the series appear less as a sequence of seperate books, but one book that was chopped up into books for publishing reasons. Things are finally coming to a head for Merlin, and the various plots he's involved in are all spiralling around him, truths finally be...more
Shannon Appelcline
A fair continuation of the Merlin story, but a somewhat flawed one.

My biggest problem with it is that it takes a sharp right-hand turn from the previous volumes, focusing on a relatively new plotline just when the other one had reached a climax that you *really* want to see continued.

I also don't like how abstract that new plotline is. It's all played out in an dull ghost-filled land where nothing has real repercussions ... and so it feels abstract and unimportant.

There are bits of greatness thr...more
Bryan
I had a hard time with this one.

It's not like I think the Merlin sequence of the Chronicles Of Amber is bad(although it's certainly not as good as the Corwin books), it's just that this book in particular struggled. It seemed like the Order vs. Chaos quest was rather forced, and because it occured in this mysterious "land between Shadows" Zelazny felt it was acceptable to resort to deus ex machina at every turn to get Merlin out of the binds he was flung into. Frakir was made sentient(mostly to...more
Michael
Book 9 of 10. I want to be kind, but I can't. It took a lot of will on my part to press through the "quest" and on through the pitiful ending. I don't know what else to say, except this almost made my "didn't finish" list. It started out well enough and I want to give it two stars, but anything that slows to a point that you want abandon it doesn't deserve that many. How did this happen Roger? It was so grueling that I don't even want to read the last book in the entire series. I'll have to clea...more
Patricia
Publisher's Summary

Knight of Shadows is the ninth book of The Chronicles of Amber; an epic fantasy series written by six-time Hugo Award winning and three-time Nebula Award winning author, Roger Zelazny.

The ten books that make up the series are told in two story arcs: The Corwin Cycle and the Merlin Cycle.

Narrator Wil Wheaton, who won the 2012 Audie Award for his engaging performance of Fuzzy Nation, brings this classic series to a stunning close by giving voice to Merlin, Corwin’s son, in the...more
Gabriel C.
Ok! Now I'm rolling downhill. We've suffered from hyperinflation and now Zelazny is rolling wheelbarrows full of plot holes to the corner store to buy a banana peel for Jurt to slip on, but there are only another 100 or so pages of inanity before I bid adieu to Amber forever. Actually, I think when I was twelve or thirteen or something I got some bullshit "Guide to Amber" book that might still be at my parents'. I hadn't read any of the books so it didn't make much sense, but maybe I'll look bac...more
Pyyric
The deep end! we found it! this book is literally out of this universe :)
Alex
I don't like giving bad ratings to books, especially ones pertaining to a series that I liked so much, but this book really maybe deserved 2 stars. The magic system got totally out of control in this book, to a point where I just didn't care anymore, and just lost interest in the book, having to force myself to finish. To emphasize this, I'm going to stop reading this series right now, having read 9 out of 10 books, because I don't want to be further disappointed.
Hien
Even though books 6-10 are lumped in as part of the Chronicles of Amber, I feel that it's really a second series. It's about Merlin (Corwin's son). Merlin is from Chaos due to his mother being from there. One of the things I didn't like about the second series is that lots of people can shadow walk. It used to be only the princes and princesses of Amber can do it. Now it seems like everybody can. It's not so special after all.
Legsoffury
Nina
I thought this book would never end. There was a lot of "action" in it, but still every page felt boring. Beside all this there was a lot of philosophy that clashed hard against and slowed down a potentially okay story. I'm truly grateful that this is the second last book in the series.
Brett
Finished "Knight of Shadows" by Roger Zelazny. It's nice to see the author tweaking the rules of his world to make things interesting! There are a lot of places where there is a wall of explanation disguised as the main character thinking back on what has happened to him, and there are a lot of characters to keep track of, but things seem to be coalescing now. Good thing, too - one book left!
James
Meh.

The first five books (the first storyline) were excellent. I'm almost finished with the second series of five and its not shaping up too well. It's too bad, I really liked the beginning of this series, but I guess you could even just read books 1-5 on their own. That might be what I'll do if I ever reread this series, unless the last book really does something different.
Michael
My first impression of this book was marveling at how easily it seemed to read. The dialog flows very conversationally. But the characters at first seem flat, never having emotional outbursts or anything. But, that may just be the writer's style. Nothing is revealed too early, but you still are able to easily understand the story.
Patrick
This was definetly better than the last two books. It involves a lot of mystery and suspense with Julia and Coral. Also, it has a lot to do with the Logrus ghosts that are being conjured. Like any Amber novel, it seems a bit too long-winded for it's own good, but definetly a lot more captivating than the previous installments.
g-na
Book nine in a series. The story is dragging on, and this book in particular I found annoying. Here we have characters and ghosts of characters caught in a parallel universe between the other parallel universes that make up their world. To me it was a bunch of uninteresting confusion that I just skimmed over.
Ryan Adams
Part of series for friend.
Ashkhan
I wholeheartedly recommend all the books from the Amber Chronicles. Once you read the first novel you'll stop only after you'll have read them all. I've re-read this book and the whole series at least three-times. Even after all these years I still rate it as one of the best series I've ever read.
Josh

The pace is starting to pick up in this penultimate episode of the second Chronicles of Amber series. I enjoyed this one more than the others so far in the second series, as quite a few resolved mysteries and revelations are occurring. Looking forward to finding out how it all ends up.
Mrs. Ho Jr.
Really, I must say, I have to agree with some of the reviews that the writing and story decrease in quality as the series progresses. I just finished another book and I could have also done without. One more book left. Better get a little better.
Dale Rosso
I love Zelazny's Amber stories, great read.
Derek (Guilty of thoughtcrime)
I guess if you have dozens of people with godlike powers, and a machine that thinks it's a god, it's difficult to avoid the deus ex machinas. Zelazny even jokes about it, but it's getting pretty tired.
Todd Martin
Nine books in and the series is still holding up. Unfortunately, the plot went rather off the rails in Knight of Shadows. Still good, but after nine books Zelazny shows signs of running out of ideas.
Fantasy Book Club...: * Knight of Shadows / Spoilers Ahead 7 16 Oct 07, 2013 08:04AM
Fantasy Book Club...: * Knight of Shadows / Initial impressions / No Spoilers 12 17 Oct 07, 2013 08:03AM
  • Roger Zelazny's Chaos and Amber (Dawn of Amber Trilogy, #2)
  • I Hope I Shall Arrive Soon
  • The Revenge of the Rose (Elric, #9)
  • Press Enter
  • Dragon (Vlad Taltos, #8)
  • The Citadel of the Autarch (The Book of the New Sun #4)
  • Even the Queen: & Other Short Stories
  • Fires of Azeroth (Morgaine Saga, #3)
  • Sailing to Byzantium
  • The Silver Spike
  • Cerberus: A Wolf in the Fold (The Four Lords of the Diamond, #2)
  • Black Star Rising (A Del Rey Book)
Roger Zelazny made his name with a group of novellas which demonstrated just how intense an emotional charge could be generated by the stock imagery of sf; the most famous of these is 'A Rose for Ecclesiastes' in which a poet struggles to convince dying and sterile Martians that life is worth continuing. Zelazny continued to write excellent short stories throughout his career, which share the inve...more
More about Roger Zelazny...
Nine Princes in Amber (Amber Chronicles, #1) The Great Book of Amber (The Chronicles of Amber, #1-10) Lord of Light The Courts of Chaos (Amber Chronicles, #5) The Guns of Avalon (Amber Chronicles, #2)

“Sleep is perhaps the only among life's great pleasures which need not be of short duration.” 24 likes