Start by marking “Photocopies: Stories” as Want to Read:
Photocopies: Stories

Photocopies: Stories

Like a photographer with his camera, John Berger uses words to capture moments: preserving them, denying their inherent transience. A passing encounter, an almost unnoticed gesture, a brief pause--Berger observes and transcribes them, and in so doing uncovers the extraordinary heart of the ordinary. This collection of stories brings a richly imagined landscape of elusive a ...more
Published December 15th 1998 by Pantheon (first published September 28th 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Photocopies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Photocopies

Tyler Jones
If ever a book changed someones life it would be this book and my life.

It was the fall of 1996 and I was working with about thirty other people trying to open Calgary's first big-box book store. It was a huge challenge but it formed friendships with my co-workers that exist to this day. I was smitten with one girl - a tough little pixie who hauled boxes up stairs and unloaded trucks like a longshoreman and who knew more about books and the book business than I could ever hope to. I was in love b
Kutşın Sancaklı
Berger okumak bana hep iyi geliyor; hayatı fazlalıklarından, çapaklarından nasıl ayıklayabileceğimizi ince ince hatırlatıyor..
lee lee
Jun 06, 2008 lee lee rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: artists, writers, memoir lovers
Recommended to lee lee by: amin
i do not own a copy of this book, but i surely wish i did. a friend gave me a copy of two chapters from it and i was immediately in love. i use the essay called "Street Theatre" to illustrate how focusing on the details in your writing is a way of combating any anxiety you might be feeling about the theme of your writing (for instance: a loved one dying). this is one of those hypothesis that i kind of made up and, yet, the more i think about it, the more i really believe that it's true. either t ...more
Yasemin Şahin
Jan 23, 2016 Yasemin Şahin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: deneme
Denemelerinden oluşan bir kitaptı. John Berger bir sanat tarihi kuramcısıdır. Bir dönem adamı denilebilir. Birçok tanıdık isimle ilişki içerisinde olmuş. Bu kişilerle anılarından yola çıkmış anlatırken.
Velvetink
Aug 19, 2010 Velvetink rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, read-2010
So far every short story makes me smile in one way or another. Exquisite vignettes.

Short stories. 50c score - op shop find.
Christa
Nov 05, 2012 Christa rated it liked it
Shelves: short-stories
There are some really, really beautiful moments interspersed through the vignettes, but as a whole I didn't feel the volume was memorable.
aconeyisland
Aug 14, 2014 aconeyisland rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: a-life
Ultime noci a nord I bulbi nella ciotola sul davanzale di cucina stanno mettendo i germogli. A volte, quando arriva la primavera, i germogli, determinati come succhielli, si aprono un varco a viva forza attraverso il cartone e persino il legno in cerca di luce. Se i bulbi sul davanzale sono identici a quelli che ha mandato l'anno scorso, fioriranno come narcisi in miniatura. Ogni fiore non più grande dell'unghia di un pollice. Dal profumo dolcemente pungente - quasi come quello di un animale mor ...more
Editorial Alfaguara
El original es la realidad; estas Fotocopias nos regalan una visi�n literaria y panor�mica de ella. John Berger presenta una colecci�n de encuentros vividos por el autor en la Europa de finales de milenio. Veintinueve momentos que, en conjunto, conforman un fresco de la historia de la humanidad, as� como un autorretrato de su autor. Por sus p�ginas nos cruzamos con amigos, con viajeros en estaciones de tren, con campesinos, con Simone Weil en su apartamento de Par�s, con vecinos, con extra�os en ...more
K
Jul 25, 2007 K rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: people who ride the subway a lot
It seemed he developed a very clear pattern for all of these stories and did not really try and get away from that. it would be a good story then he'd come at you with a "wow" moment at the end. some really great stories are in this book while others were just okay. john berger is a very intellegent man and i enjoy the way he sees things, the way you can see how he might. gifts are important throughout the book as he tries to seize each moment away from forgetting.
Emily
Dec 21, 2010 Emily rated it really liked it
As always, love John Berger. I want to read all of his essays! The most useful moment of this collection I want to bring into future art history survey classes when teaching about the relationship between form and content: "True style is inseparable from what is being said, it's not something chosen" (176).
Greta
These "photocopies" are prose snapshots from Berger's past, moments in time captured in his mind's eye. I'm not sure why I like John Berger's musings so much but I do. They bridge the gap between fiction and nonfiction, the present moment and the distant past, and in a slightly melancholy way, make you feel like you're floating somewhere inbetween.
Zeynep k
Jan 11, 2017 Zeynep k rated it really liked it
'kaldırımda güreşe tutuşmuş iki erkek figürü' öyküsünün sonunu tesadüfen twitterda okumamla elim raftaki kitaba gitti ve okumaya başladım. berger'de sanırım insanı yazmaya teşvik eden, yüreklendiren bir tad var. ya da ben öykülerini fazla sevdim. bitmesin diye dura dura..
Ben
Jul 26, 2009 Ben rated it liked it
From Booker Prize winner John Berger, a set of vignettes in a form and content that is not quite fiction or nonfiction. Berger is a visual art critic (see Ways of Seeing) and the photographs included in the collection act as "triggering subject" for the short prose pieces.
Joyce
May 26, 2013 Joyce rated it it was amazing
I happened upon this book in a discount bin and when I took it home to read, couldn't put it down. Each story is a jewel, and I have reread it often. Summary: A collection of stories set in various parts of the world.
Mehlika
Nov 11, 2013 Mehlika rated it liked it
anı kitabı. farklı insanların farklı mekanlarda içinize bi sıcak kakao pişirmesi gibi bir şey.
Ffiamma
May 28, 2013 Ffiamma rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: uk
ancora una volta immagini e storie che scaturiscono dalle immagini stesse. ancora una volta l'incanto e lo stupore davanti a un modo lieve di raccontare cose con un peso. bellissimo.
Joe
Oct 22, 2011 Joe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
beautiful, heart warming snapshots on people. An uplifting humanistic account of people and places that have intruded into his life. Snapshots that i find inspiring.
Jesus Garcia
Jesus Garcia rated it liked it
Sep 01, 2010
David
David rated it it was amazing
Aug 25, 2008
Lynn
Lynn rated it it was amazing
Mar 05, 2014
Frank
Frank rated it liked it
May 15, 2016
Kulturyttringar
Kulturyttringar rated it liked it
Jan 09, 2017
psila
psila rated it liked it
Jan 11, 2013
Tugba Tirpan
Tugba Tirpan rated it liked it
Dec 02, 2013
Prajna
Prajna rated it it was amazing
Jan 28, 2008
Marie
Marie rated it it was amazing
Apr 14, 2008
Dg Noc
Dg Noc rated it liked it
May 26, 2016
M.
M. rated it liked it
Sep 29, 2015
Mecha Laborde
Mecha Laborde rated it really liked it
Jul 11, 2016
  • The Reader
  • Nine-Headed Dragon River: Zen Journals, 1969-1982
  • A Face to the World: On Self Portraits
  • Expletives Deleted: Selected Writings
  • Lost Classics: Writers on Books Loved and Lost, Overlooked, Under-read, Unavailable, Stolen, Extinct, or Otherwise Out of Commission
John Peter Berger was an English art critic, novelist, painter and author. His novel G. won the 1972 Booker Prize, and his essay on art criticism Ways of Seeing, written as an accompaniment to a BBC series, is often used as a college text.

Later he was self exiled to continental Europe, living between the french Alps in summer and the suburbs of Paris in winter. Since then, his production has incre
More about John Berger...