Start by marking “Photocopies: Stories” as Want to Read:
Photocopies: Stories

Photocopies: Stories

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  157 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Like a photographer with his camera, John Berger uses words to capture moments: preserving them, denying their inherent transience. A passing encounter, an almost unnoticed gesture, a brief pause--Berger observes and transcribes them, and in so doing uncovers the extraordinary heart of the ordinary. This collection of stories brings a richly imagined landscape of elusive a ...more
Published December 15th 1998 by Pantheon (first published September 28th 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Photocopies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Photocopies

Tyler Jones
If ever a book changed someones life it would be this book and my life.

It was the fall of 1996 and I was working with about thirty other people trying and open Calgary's first big-box book store. It was a huge challenge but it formed friendships with my co-workers that exist to this day. I was smitten with one girl - a tough little pixie who hauled boxes up stairs and unloaded trucks like a longshoreman and who knew more about books and the book business than I could ever hope to. I was in love
lee lee
Jan 06, 2011 lee lee rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: artists, writers, memoir lovers
Recommended to lee lee by: amin
i do not own a copy of this book, but i surely wish i did. a friend gave me a copy of two chapters from it and i was immediately in love. i use the essay called "Street Theatre" to illustrate how focusing on the details in your writing is a way of combating any anxiety you might be feeling about the theme of your writing (for instance: a loved one dying). this is one of those hypothesis that i kind of made up and, yet, the more i think about it, the more i really believe that it's true. either t ...more
Sara
Ultime noci a nord I bulbi nella ciotola sul davanzale di cucina stanno mettendo i germogli. A volte, quando arriva la primavera, i germogli, determinati come succhielli, si aprono un varco a viva forza attraverso il cartone e persino il legno in cerca di luce. Se i bulbi sul davanzale sono identici a quelli che ha mandato l'anno scorso, fioriranno come narcisi in miniatura. Ogni fiore non più grande dell'unghia di un pollice. Dal profumo dolcemente pungente - quasi come quello di un animale mor ...more
Christa Hartsock
There are some really, really beautiful moments interspersed through the vignettes, but as a whole I didn't feel the volume was memorable.
Velvetink
So far every short story makes me smile in one way or another. Exquisite vignettes.

Short stories. 50c score - op shop find.
Editorial Alfaguara
El original es la realidad; estas Fotocopias nos regalan una visin literaria y panormica de ella. John Berger presenta una coleccin de encuentros vividos por el autor en la Europa de finales de milenio. Veintinueve momentos que, en conjunto, conforman un fresco de la historia de la humanidad, as como un autorretrato de su autor. Por sus pginas nos cruzamos con amigos, con viajeros en estaciones de tren, con campesinos, con Simone Weil en su apartamento de Pars, con vecinos, con extraos en cafs, ...more
K
Aug 06, 2007 K rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who ride the subway a lot
It seemed he developed a very clear pattern for all of these stories and did not really try and get away from that. it would be a good story then he'd come at you with a "wow" moment at the end. some really great stories are in this book while others were just okay. john berger is a very intellegent man and i enjoy the way he sees things, the way you can see how he might. gifts are important throughout the book as he tries to seize each moment away from forgetting.
Greta
These "photocopies" are prose snapshots from Berger's past, moments in time captured in his mind's eye. I'm not sure why I like John Berger's musings so much but I do. They bridge the gap between fiction and nonfiction, the present moment and the distant past, and in a slightly melancholy way, make you feel like you're floating somewhere inbetween.
Emily
As always, love John Berger. I want to read all of his essays! The most useful moment of this collection I want to bring into future art history survey classes when teaching about the relationship between form and content: "True style is inseparable from what is being said, it's not something chosen" (176).
Ben
From Booker Prize winner John Berger, a set of vignettes in a form and content that is not quite fiction or nonfiction. Berger is a visual art critic (see Ways of Seeing) and the photographs included in the collection act as "triggering subject" for the short prose pieces.
Joyce
I happened upon this book in a discount bin and when I took it home to read, couldn't put it down. Each story is a jewel, and I have reread it often. Summary: A collection of stories set in various parts of the world.
Ffiamma
ancora una volta immagini e storie che scaturiscono dalle immagini stesse. ancora una volta l'incanto e lo stupore davanti a un modo lieve di raccontare cose con un peso. bellissimo.
Joe
beautiful, heart warming snapshots on people. An uplifting humanistic account of people and places that have intruded into his life. Snapshots that i find inspiring.
Mehlika
anı kitabı. farklı insanların farklı mekanlarda içinize bi sıcak kakao pişirmesi gibi bir şey.
Kristy
Kristy marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2015
Kris
Kris marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2015
Elissa
Elissa marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2015
Lis
Lis added it
Jan 11, 2015
Burak Torun
Burak Torun marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2015
Terence
Terence marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2015
  • The Total Library: Non-Fiction 1922-1986
  • Writing Home
  • My Unwritten Books
  • On Balance
John Peter Berger is an English art critic, novelist, painter and author. His novel G. won the 1972 Booker Prize, and his essay on art criticism Ways of Seeing, written as an accompaniment to a BBC series, is often used as a college text.
More about John Berger...
Ways of Seeing About Looking G. To the Wedding And Our Faces, My Heart, Brief as Photos