The Best Worst Brother

The Best Worst Brother

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  34 ratings  ·  21 reviews
A sequel to the popular storybook WE'LL PAINT THE OCTOPUS RED. This endearing and realistic picture book looks at how a relationship evolves between a typically developing older sister and her younger brother with a developmental disability. It also shows how sign language can help a child that acquires speech more slowly. Beautiful realistic illustrations on every page.
Published June 13th 2005 by Woodbine House (first published June 3rd 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Best Worst Brother, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Best Worst Brother

Nausheen Ukani
This narrative tells about the relationship evolving between a typically developing older sister, Emma, and her younger brother, Isaac, who has a developmental disability. Emma is in elementary school, and Isaac is almost three years old. The narrative shows how Emma gradually helps her little brother learn sign language because his speech acquiring abilities are developing at a slower pace, although she gets very frustrated and impatient at first. This book shows readers how sign language can h...more
Priscilla Schelling
In this story, the older sister Emma really wants to help teach her brother, but she gets very frustrated when he doesn't improve in communication. This story addresses that she things he is a terrible brother until he finally shows signs of understanding. This story doesn't explicitly identify the brother as having a specified special need, but it does insinuate that he has one.
Amy
I can see my own students in Isaac now.

I enjoyed the depiction of sign language as that is how many of my students communicate. While this book didn't make me tear up like We'll Paint the Octopus Red, I am glad to see a continuation of the sibling relationship of Emma and Isaac as well as children with Down syndrome in children's literature.
Yahya Han
The sister in this book feels that she has the worst brother until almost the last page, when she decides she has the best brother.I think book needs really big revision. The book doesn't do a good job of explaining how she came to this conclusion. I think writer should create a cause-effect relation why she starts loving her sister.
Jessica Benson
Good book for students who have siblings or family members with down syndrome. Continues the story "We'll paint the octopus red" with emma and Isaac and how emma is trying to teach Isaac to use sign language. Shows the struggles they go through, but in the end emma finds out that Isaac is just as great as any little brother.
Megan Sutherland
In this book, Emma tries to be patient while she has to teach her younger brother Isaac. Isaac has down syndrome and it is difficult for her to communicate with him. It shows how Emma communicates with Isaac through sign language. This books inculdes questions that children could have about sign language and answers for them.
Logan Walker
Good book to demonstrate to children how to get along with their siblings. Very inspiring and motivational for young children. This book shows the patience and love can bring out the best in everyone. It is a good book to demonstrate the difficulties and benefits of having a family member with special needs.
Paula
It is not very obvious from the pictures that the brother has down syndrome could be autistic too.
Older sister Emma tries to be patient while teaching three-year-old Isaac, who has Down syndrome, how to communicate using sign language. Includes questions and answers about sign language.
Rebecca Mullins
This book is about a big sister whose little brother has a disability. She tries to teach him sign language to communicate. She teaches him many things. This is a good book for learning patience and for learning about how to deal with disabilities. This book is good for 1-2 grade.
Kim Foy
This is a heartwarming story of a girl who has a brother who is disabled. She worries about what her friends will think of him since he is so different from most little brothers. However, she ends up being very proud because he begins using the signs that she has taught him.
Hannah Moss
The sister finds it very frustrating when her brother has difficulty understanding everything. The disability is not mentioned in the book but he has some kind of disability and his sister eventually realize that he is trying to learn and understand, but it is difficult for him.
Adam Hardesty
This is a great book to demonstrate to children how to get along with their siblings. This book shows the patience and love can bring out the best in everyone. It is a good book to demonstrate the difficulties and benefits of having a family member with special needs.
Carlee
This picture book shows how a sibling copes with having a brother with special needs. It shows that with patience and love, you can find something good in everyone. The book does not say what the disability is, but gives a good glimpse at sign language.
Lydia Moses
This is the second book to a series of books about a sister and her brother who has downs syndrome. At the back of the book there is tips about sign language. I would recommend this book to a family who has a new sibling with downs syndrome.
Madison
I think this is a good book to read with students who have siblings or family members with special needs. I really shows these kids how to cope with that. I never knew that the little boy had special needs until the book was over.
Susan
"We'll paint the octopus red" three years later, so the big sister is 9 and the little boy is 3 and is speech delayed, so they are teaching him sign language. The Q and A in the back of the book are about sign language and Down Syndrome.
Rachel
This picture book is about how a sibling copes with having a brother with special needs. Although the child's disability is not clearly stated, the reader gets a glimpse into the world of sign language.
Candice Call
Great book to use for discussing special needs. Would be a good addition to a classroom library because it is a very realistic topic that some of the students in your class could be experiencing.
Katie Jelinek
Erin Banet
I thought this book put a great perspective on what it's like to live with someone with special needs. It shows how hard it can be to love your sibling sometimes.
Shannon Jackson
A sweet story about the trials of having a special needs sibling. This would be a nice addition to a family collection in the classroom.
Kim Kanofsky
Kim Kanofsky marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2014
Ali
Ali marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2014
t.A
t.A marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2013
A Small Brown Dog with a Wet Pink Nose We'll Paint the Octopus Red Elizabeti's Doll Elizabeti's School Mama Elizabeti