Start by marking “The Best Worst Brother” as Want to Read:
The Best Worst Brother

The Best Worst Brother

A sequel to the popular storybook WE'LL PAINT THE OCTOPUS RED. This endearing and realistic picture book looks at how a relationship evolves between a typically developing older sister and her younger brother with a developmental disability. It also shows how sign language can help a child that acquires speech more slowly. Beautiful realistic illustrations on every page.
Published June 13th 2005 by Woodbine House (first published June 3rd 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Best Worst Brother, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Best Worst Brother

Nausheen Ukani
This narrative tells about the relationship evolving between a typically developing older sister, Emma, and her younger brother, Isaac, who has a developmental disability. Emma is in elementary school, and Isaac is almost three years old. The narrative shows how Emma gradually helps her little brother learn sign language because his speech acquiring abilities are developing at a slower pace, although she gets very frustrated and impatient at first. This book shows readers how sign language can h ...more
Kayla
This book was about a girl and her brother, which I can relate to because I also have a younger brother. She loves it at first because he is very cooperative. When he grows up things start to change. His behavior changes from when he was just a baby. Now he throws things and spits and doesn't know how to talk so it's hard for them to communicate. Emma's mother tells her about sign language. Emma has the idea to try to teach Isaac how to do sign language so they can communicate better. Eventuall ...more
Kelly Powell
This is a common tale between siblings, not just brothers. I enjoyed this book because many of us are misunderstood for many reasons and this book shed some light on how we may not know what someone acts a certain way but with time we can learn to be friends. We need to love others for their differences and many times we can learn from them because they are different from us. This book really touched me and I would love to have this in my classroom.
Alison Durbin
Not only will this book appeal to anyone who has a younger sibling, but it will also appeal to those who may have a sibling with a disability. I love how the author depicted the journey of the relationship of the two siblings: she started out loving her brother when he was an infant, but she became more easily annoyed the older he got. This book is very heart-warming and relatable, and for that reason, I think I will be purchasing this book for my classroom.
Marissa Pezzullo
Mar 23, 2015 Marissa Pezzullo rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
When a child is getting a younger sibling, it can be hard for them to adjust. Having this book at their disposal can help to calm the situation. Some older siblings may think that their younger sibling will automatically start talking and playing with them. So this book would be a good tool to help them see what really happens. The little girl thinks her little brother should speak, eventually she uses sign language and he still doesn't talk. Then one day uses it and it makes her proud.
Yahya Han
The sister in this book feels that she has the worst brother until almost the last page, when she decides she has the best brother.I think book needs really big revision. The book doesn't do a good job of explaining how she came to this conclusion. I think writer should create a cause-effect relation why she starts loving her sister.
Amy
Feb 07, 2009 Amy rated it really liked it
I can see my own students in Isaac now.

I enjoyed the depiction of sign language as that is how many of my students communicate. While this book didn't make me tear up like We'll Paint the Octopus Red, I am glad to see a continuation of the sibling relationship of Emma and Isaac as well as children with Down syndrome in children's literature.
Megan Sutherland
In this book, Emma tries to be patient while she has to teach her younger brother Isaac. Isaac has down syndrome and it is difficult for her to communicate with him. It shows how Emma communicates with Isaac through sign language. This books inculdes questions that children could have about sign language and answers for them.
Priscilla Schelling
In this story, the older sister Emma really wants to help teach her brother, but she gets very frustrated when he doesn't improve in communication. This story addresses that she things he is a terrible brother until he finally shows signs of understanding. This story doesn't explicitly identify the brother as having a specified special need, but it does insinuate that he has one.
Kelly
While never stated explicitly, Emma's little brother Isaac has Down's syndrome and at three years old don't really communicate verbally. The family works to teach him American Sign Language as a way to assist him in getting some of his internal thoughts out. Very subtle and a valuable example of ASL in practice.
Logan Walker
Good book to demonstrate to children how to get along with their siblings. Very inspiring and motivational for young children. This book shows the patience and love can bring out the best in everyone. It is a good book to demonstrate the difficulties and benefits of having a family member with special needs.
Jessica Benson
Apr 25, 2012 Jessica Benson rated it really liked it
Good book for students who have siblings or family members with down syndrome. Continues the story "We'll paint the octopus red" with emma and Isaac and how emma is trying to teach Isaac to use sign language. Shows the struggles they go through, but in the end emma finds out that Isaac is just as great as any little brother.
Lydia Moses
Apr 25, 2012 Lydia Moses rated it really liked it
Shelves: ece
This is the second book to a series of books about a sister and her brother who has downs syndrome. At the back of the book there is tips about sign language. I would recommend this book to a family who has a new sibling with downs syndrome.
Hannah Moss
The sister finds it very frustrating when her brother has difficulty understanding everything. The disability is not mentioned in the book but he has some kind of disability and his sister eventually realize that he is trying to learn and understand, but it is difficult for him.
Rachel
Apr 12, 2012 Rachel rated it really liked it
This picture book is about how a sibling copes with having a brother with special needs. Although the child's disability is not clearly stated, the reader gets a glimpse into the world of sign language.
Breana Fitzgerald
This book is about a little girl with a little brother who is deaf. She tries to teach him sign language and with patience he finally learns. Would be great if any deaf students are in the class, or just to teach the children about sign language.
Madison
Feb 02, 2012 Madison rated it really liked it
I think this is a good book to read with students who have siblings or family members with special needs. I really shows these kids how to cope with that. I never knew that the little boy had special needs until the book was over.
Carlee
May 09, 2012 Carlee rated it really liked it
This picture book shows how a sibling copes with having a brother with special needs. It shows that with patience and love, you can find something good in everyone. The book does not say what the disability is, but gives a good glimpse at sign language.
Susan
Oct 15, 2009 Susan rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
"We'll paint the octopus red" three years later, so the big sister is 9 and the little boy is 3 and is speech delayed, so they are teaching him sign language. The Q and A in the back of the book are about sign language and Down Syndrome.
Rebecca Mullins
Mar 02, 2012 Rebecca Mullins rated it really liked it
This book is about a big sister whose little brother has a disability. She tries to teach him sign language to communicate. She teaches him many things. This is a good book for learning patience and for learning about how to deal with disabilities. This book is good for 1-2 grade.
Paula
It is not very obvious from the pictures that the brother has down syndrome could be autistic too.
Older sister Emma tries to be patient while teaching three-year-old Isaac, who has Down syndrome, how to communicate using sign language. Includes questions and answers about sign language.
Adam Hardesty
Apr 01, 2013 Adam Hardesty rated it really liked it
This is a great book to demonstrate to children how to get along with their siblings. This book shows the patience and love can bring out the best in everyone. It is a good book to demonstrate the difficulties and benefits of having a family member with special needs.
Kim Foy
Feb 03, 2012 Kim Foy rated it really liked it
Shelves: family, disabilities
This is a heartwarming story of a girl who has a brother who is disabled. She worries about what her friends will think of him since he is so different from most little brothers. However, she ends up being very proud because he begins using the signs that she has taught him.
Felicia
Oct 18, 2015 Felicia rated it it was amazing
Shelves: family-ties
This book is about a young girl who desperately wants her brother to talk. She begins to try and teach him sign language and with persistence and patients he learns sign language. This book would be good for children with younger siblings or siblings who are deaf
Shannon Jackson
A sweet story about the trials of having a special needs sibling. This would be a nice addition to a family collection in the classroom.
Erin Banet
Feb 01, 2012 Erin Banet rated it it was amazing
I thought this book put a great perspective on what it's like to live with someone with special needs. It shows how hard it can be to love your sibling sometimes.
Katie Jelinek
NayDoubleU
Feb 07, 2015 NayDoubleU rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, the-kids
this book hit home for me. I know what it's like to have a little sibling and one with a disability. I enjoyed this and even more enjoyed the use of ASL. great read.
Candice Call
Apr 05, 2012 Candice Call rated it it was amazing
Great book to use for discussing special needs. Would be a good addition to a classroom library because it is a very realistic topic that some of the students in your class could be experiencing.
Hayley Goleniowska
Hayley Goleniowska rated it it was amazing
May 09, 2016