The Life and Teachings of Jesus and His Apostles Student Manual

The Life and Teachings of Jesus and His Apostles Student Manual (Institute Manuals)

4.29 of 5 stars 4.29  ·  rating details  ·  174 ratings  ·  16 reviews
The New Testament institute manual, The Life and Teachings of Jesus and His Apostles, will help you get more out of your study of the New Testament for Religion 211/212 course. It gives historical background and explains difficult scripture passages. You will also find maps, calendars, time lines, and charts that will increase your understanding of the New Testament. This...more
Paperback, Revised, Second Edition, 545 pages
Published 1979 by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (first published 1976)

Jileen
So I have finally finished this resource guide. That also means that I have finally finished reading the Bible - it took 4 years to read cover to cover but I have learned a lot. I appreciate the incite that this manual gave. I liked finding out more about the authors of each of the books in the New Testament and their background information. I liked learning about details of life during the time of Christ. I enjoyed delving deeper into the life and teachings of Christ and how it affects my life....more
Annika Paxman
I loved this instructional companion to the New Testament. While the going was slow to make it through this book, it answered many of my questions, and cleared up a lot of my confusion, by drawing on historical and cultural aspect of the time which are unfamiliar to the modern reader. Highly recommended!
Karen
Apr 10, 2013 Karen rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Studying the New Testament on their own.
I found this a very difficult format to study. The older kids and I tried for a while, but it never was a good fit for our study. I understand the reason for the format...and I might try it again as an individual, but it was difficult as a "group" study. There seemed to be no cohesion...
Brittany
It has been a joy to get to study the New Testament so in depth this year for Sunday School. Since I've been teaching Gospel Doctrine, I wanted to really study it besides just the manual, and so I read every word of this book. Great insights and interesting history!
Brittany
Good companion to getting back to more guided study of the scriptures. I never took 210 & didn't use this manual in 211 so I thought I'd give it a shot. The guide does feel dated, but still had some interesting insights, thoughts, and facts.
Josh
I have really loved reading the Church Institute student manuals as I study the scriptures. The manuals help me understand background and cultures that explain the meaning of phrases and versus that I wouldn't otherwise understand.
Ann Johnson Davis
Read this many years ago in college while studying the New Testament. Lots of insightful commentary, and lots of scholarly info to aid in understanding the scriptures.
April
Nov 16, 2012 April is currently reading it
I am loving this manual! I felt inspired to use it during scripture study, and it has been so good for me.
Lizabeth
Read at least three times. Fantastic accompaniment to the King James Version of the Bible.
Carol
Great...was a wonderful resource to go along with reading the New Testament.
Sam
Great book for studying the life of Jesus in the New Testament.
Cheryl
This is one of my fav. parts of my day, studying this!
Pam
Absolutely enlightening, trustworthy reference
Bridget
Helpul manual in understanding the New Testament.
Jimmie
Excellent companion to The New Testament.
David
Could use an update.
Alex
Alex is currently reading it
Jul 06, 2014
Jayme Payne
Jayme Payne marked it as to-read
May 08, 2014
Book of Mormon, Doctrine and Covenants, Pearl of Great Price Preach My Gospel: A Guide To Missionary Service Hymns of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints Teachings of Presidents of the Church: Joseph Smith Gospel Principles