Start by marking “Porcupining: A Prickly Love Story” as Want to Read:
Porcupining: A Prickly Love Story

Porcupining: A Prickly Love Story

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  195 ratings  ·  33 reviews
What could be more poignant than a porcupine pining for a companion? With pun-filled prose and pleasing pictures, this passionate tale of love and friendship between two prickly creatures in a petting zoo makes a perfect read aloud (and a sublime Valentine).
Published December 2nd 2005 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Porcupining, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Porcupining

Cheri
I wanted to like this one--it was such a cute concept! Plus, I love plays on words.

However, it rubbed me the wrong way; and for a book about a porcupine, that's a problem.

The personal insults he throws at other animals in the name of serenading them was never resolved and the inter-species thing was not clearly inaccurate; for instance, if it were a dog and a cat, most kids would know that they wouldn't really be mates. A porcupine and a hedgehog look closely related, so a kid might pick this up
Angie
Cushion the Porcupine wants to find love. Don't we all? Well. The picture book crowd may not be looking to get married but they understand wanting friends and someone to play with.

We had fun reading this one today in kindergarten. Started with a non-fic book about porcupines. There are 26 different kinds and they can weigh up to 66 pounds. Did you know that?

Anyway, back to Cushion. He tries to woo a bunny rabbit, a pig, and a beaver with some truly terrible songs that everyone will enjoy singing
Adrienne
Poor little Cushion the Porcupine has a hard time being all alone in the petting zoo, since no one can pet him. He sets out to find love and ends up first offending several female creatures but eventually finds just the gal for him. Amusing little story; pictures are okay.
Michelle
I didn't love the art but the story is cute. I especially love the names the other animals call hi, such as burr ball and scrub brush
Rachel
I ended up reading this book while looking for easy to read books for a class assignment. I saw the name, which is so adorable, and just had to read it. It's so sad that Cushion lives in a petting zoo but no one is allowed to pet him and he is isolated. He starts writing sad songs (Porcupining!)about how much he wants to find a wife and find love. One night he goes around to all of the different animals singing about how he wants a wife, but no one wants him there until he finds Barb. She is a h ...more
Cordellya Smith
This is a cute story about a lonely porcupine who is looking for love. It is very creative.
Julie Graham 47150
After hearing one of my students read her story about a hedgehog during author's chair, the interpreter for my student who is deaf recommended that I read this story to my class. It's a cute story about a porcupine that never gets any attention at a petting zoo so he sets off to find a mate. There are lots of puns in the story ("poking fun," "got the point," "sharper sense of humor" etc.) which went unnoticed by most of my first graders. However, I had two clever kids who not only noticed, but f ...more
Stephanie Croaning
This is a cute picture book about a porcupine looking for love in all the wrong places. Cushion is lonely in the petting zoo, because no one wants to pet a porcupine. So he sets out looking for love, and when he arrives at each possible match - rabbit, pink sow, beaver -- he sings them a romantic song to woo them. Unfortunately, Cushion could really use some work on his word choice! But as we know, there's a perfect match for everyone out there somewhere...

The illustrations are cute and typical
Annie Slagboom
Porcupining: A Prickly Love Story is well written. I especially love the clever pun on words. Children will love the melodic song and will even sing the off tune lyrics.

I read this book to children on Valentine's Day. Always gives them chuckles and plenty to comment on.

A fun book to read out loud.

Mckinley
Great title, story ok.
Jean Oram
This little porcupine is pining for a mate. But who will enjoy his er, um, lovely and very truthful songs and fall for him? Certainly not the pigs. Certainly not the other animals at the petting farm. So, who will he find that will love him and all his prickles?

Kids love it if you sing the catchy song in a mournful, out of tune voice. They'll be singing along too.

Great for ages 4-7.
Ariel Cummins
What's a porcupine to do when he's in a petting zoo? Strike out on his own and find a wife. Although this particular porcupine's songs are more offensive than sweet, and he keeps striking out -- until he meets the hedgehog of his dreams!

Pretty straight-forward kids book illustrations on this one.

The songs in this book and the multiple voices would make it a fun story for a story time!
Dolly
Aug 20, 2009 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a silly story about a porcupine looking for love at the petting zoo. Cute illustrations and funny lyrics to his songs make this a fun book to read aloud. It's not specifically about Valentine's Day, but since it's a love story, that's a good time of year to read this book. We enjoyed reading this book together and we've read it a couple of times.
Jeanna
Oh the silliness. Plus, I totally had the song stuck in my head during the day today. The girls and I read the book, I wailed the song, and we were all happy at the end. (view spoiler)
Karin
Feb 28, 2012 Karin rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: 3-8 yr old girls
Another wonderful story by Lisa! This time it's a sad, but funny porcupine in a petting zoo! He needs someone to love but he goes about it in terrible manner, insulting all the animals in the zoo. Unfortunately he doesn't realize this, as he's singing his heart out hoping for love. It ends well tho!
Amy Burch
The porcupine is an outsider at the petting zoo because no one is aloud to pet him. Later, he finds his true love. I feel like the moral of the story is, you aren't the only one and it is okay to be an outsider. This would be a good book to read if you are having trouble with bullying in the classroom.
Megan
Sick of being ignored by the children at the petting zoo, and longing for some companionship, Cushion the porcupine sets out to find a wife. The song he sings to each potential wife is a highlight, and despite Cushion's prickly body, he does end up with a suitable wife.
Jessica Bingham
One of the best love stories I have ever read! Porcupine wants a wife, so he sets off with his guitar in search of his one true love. He tries to sing to all the animals he comes across, but none are persuaded by his song, until he meets a hedgehog. Great Story!!
Shelley
This is one I read to my K-1 students every year around Valentine's Day. I love to sing Cushion's songs to the tune of "Oh, Susannah!" and the kids always love it. Using my porcupine puppet makes it all the mor entertaining. You can't beat a Lisa Wheeler picture book.
Andria
The kids laughed hysterically when I read this too them, especially when I whispered to them, did he just call the pig fat? Etc. this was a rollicking good adventure as the porcupine searched for a wife. The songs just made the silliness come to life.
Brenda Pritchard
Preschool story time; theme (Valentine's Day); Narrative skills, vocabulary,
This is a very cute story about a Porcupine who wants to find a wife and goes through all the animals at the petting zoo before finding his love (a hedgehog).
Beth
Poor Cushion, a porcupine, lives in a petting zoo. He is feeling alone and looks for a wife. It is not the rabbit, pig, or beaver. He finds Barbara/Barb and they are happy together.
Jess
cute illustrations. fun read with a short song scattered throughout. a lonely porcupine looks for a wife in a variety of places, and finally finds his match, a hedgehog.
Porcupine is pining for a wife...it's fun to watch him approach various animals and try to make a match. Cute for Valentine's day with preschool. (Online at Tumblebooks)
Sam
Holy cow! So cute, the illustrations were perfect and the writing was so adorable. There were lots of puns that just fit perfectly and made me laugh out loud!
Amber
Cute little love story about a porcupine who is searching for love in a petting zoo. Love the song he sings to all the "potentials." Nice for read aloud.
Karen
Prickley body and prickley personality equal no love for poor Cushion - hilarious to read aloud, using an appropriately off-key voice for the songs.
Kristine
Mar 18, 2008 Kristine rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: moms of preschoolers
Absolutely the sweetest, funniest story about a lonely porcupine and his sad love song, looking for a wife. We read it nearly every night!
Megan B
This one has really grown on me. I prefer to sing the "sad, sad, song" with a southern twang.
Vicki
A cute story about finding love with someone with whom you have something in common.
  • Slugs in Love