Start by marking “Porcupining: A Prickly Love Story” as Want to Read:
Porcupining: A Prickly Love Story

Porcupining: A Prickly Love Story

3.97  ·  Rating Details  ·  243 Ratings  ·  44 Reviews
What could be more poignant than a porcupine pining for a companion? With pun-filled prose and pleasing pictures, this passionate tale of love and friendship between two prickly creatures in a petting zoo makes a perfect read aloud (and a sublime Valentine).
Published December 2nd 2005 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Porcupining, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Porcupining

Dov
Dec 12, 2015 Dov rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-book, kids
The idea of this one is cute, and there's a banjo-playing porcupine in it, which I guess is why it gets two stars. Though I kind of want to give it one. (I had to make up most of the words as I read it.)

Premise. A lonely porcupine lives at a petting zoo. Rut roh. That go a few laughs.

He decides enough is enough of being all alone, and goes out looking for love, playing his banjo and crooning lonely songs, first to a rabbit, then a pig, next a beavers, and finally...(spoiler alert).

This is the so
Monika
Feb 06, 2016 Monika rated it liked it
Cushion on üksildane miniloomaaias elav okassiga. Kui kõiki teisi loomi võib tavaliselt paitada, siis okassea puhul pole see "soovitatav".

"Cushion was a porcupine with a problem. he lived in a petting zoo. That was the problem. No one would pet a porcupine.
There were even signs outside his habitat that read:

DO NOT TOUCH and
KEEP OUT and worst of all
NO PETTING!

Kurb okassiga läheb omale naist otsima ja laulab serenaade erinevatele loomadele. Ta on seejuures küllaltki ebaviisakas, näiteks laulab ta
Cheri
Sep 10, 2013 Cheri rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I wanted to like this one--it was such a cute concept! Plus, I love plays on words.

However, it rubbed me the wrong way; and for a book about a porcupine, that's a problem.

The personal insults he throws at other animals in the name of serenading them was never resolved and the inter-species thing was not clearly inaccurate; for instance, if it were a dog and a cat, most kids would know that they wouldn't really be mates. A porcupine and a hedgehog look closely related, so a kid might pick this up
Colona Public Library
This book has my favorite animal in it, a hedgehog! It's a cute story about searching for someone who doesn't mind your quills! (even though a hedgehog and a porcupine could never really get together) My favorite quote is...
"You don't look like a hedge or a hog!" said Cushion.
"And you don't look like a pork or a pine!" said Barb

You can pick up this book at the Colona Public Library. ~Ashley
Rosa Cline
Apr 04, 2016 Rosa Cline rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids
Such a different storybook for children. It was a joy to read to my preschool granddaughter. A porcupine in a petting zoo is lonely. There is signs up on his cage saying no petting, and that makes him sad. He sets off to try and find a wife, but everywhere he turns he can't find on. But in the end I finds what he's looking for. A very sweet story.
Angie
Feb 13, 2012 Angie rated it liked it
Shelves: picture
Cushion the Porcupine wants to find love. Don't we all? Well. The picture book crowd may not be looking to get married but they understand wanting friends and someone to play with.

We had fun reading this one today in kindergarten. Started with a non-fic book about porcupines. There are 26 different kinds and they can weigh up to 66 pounds. Did you know that?

Anyway, back to Cushion. He tries to woo a bunny rabbit, a pig, and a beaver with some truly terrible songs that everyone will enjoy singing
Adrienne
Feb 24, 2014 Adrienne rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Poor little Cushion the Porcupine has a hard time being all alone in the petting zoo, since no one can pet him. He sets out to find love and ends up first offending several female creatures but eventually finds just the gal for him. Amusing little story; pictures are okay.
Michelle
Jun 26, 2014 Michelle rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-books
I didn't love the art but the story is cute. I especially love the names the other animals call hi, such as burr ball and scrub brush
Anna
Mar 26, 2016 Anna rated it really liked it
Ugh, I can't sing. Also this porcupine is kind of a jerk, but he makes for a very funny storytime read.
Rachel
Jan 27, 2009 Rachel rated it it was amazing
I ended up reading this book while looking for easy to read books for a class assignment. I saw the name, which is so adorable, and just had to read it. It's so sad that Cushion lives in a petting zoo but no one is allowed to pet him and he is isolated. He starts writing sad songs (Porcupining!)about how much he wants to find a wife and find love. One night he goes around to all of the different animals singing about how he wants a wife, but no one wants him there until he finds Barb. She is a h ...more
Cordellya Smith
Jun 19, 2014 Cordellya Smith rated it really liked it
This is a cute story about a lonely porcupine who is looking for love. It is very creative.
Julie Graham 47150
Mar 24, 2012 Julie Graham 47150 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
After hearing one of my students read her story about a hedgehog during author's chair, the interpreter for my student who is deaf recommended that I read this story to my class. It's a cute story about a porcupine that never gets any attention at a petting zoo so he sets off to find a mate. There are lots of puns in the story ("poking fun," "got the point," "sharper sense of humor" etc.) which went unnoticed by most of my first graders. However, I had two clever kids who not only noticed, but f ...more
Kadie
Nov 12, 2015 Kadie rated it really liked it
Pretty cute. It was exactly what I expected.
The Brothers
Feb 20, 2016 The Brothers rated it it was amazing
A wonderful story of a lonely porcupine in a petting zoo who sets out one night to find himself a wife. He sings his sad (and often a bit insulting) songs to a variety of other animals who rebuff his efforts to woo them into becoming his wife. At last he comes across a hedgehog and they live happily ever after. Very cute, I laughed out loud at his songs.

Great illustrations.
Rachel Turner
Feb 17, 2016 Rachel Turner rated it it was amazing
Shelves: school-storytime
Very cute and lots of fun.
Stephanie Croaning
This is a cute picture book about a porcupine looking for love in all the wrong places. Cushion is lonely in the petting zoo, because no one wants to pet a porcupine. So he sets out looking for love, and when he arrives at each possible match - rabbit, pink sow, beaver -- he sings them a romantic song to woo them. Unfortunately, Cushion could really use some work on his word choice! But as we know, there's a perfect match for everyone out there somewhere...

The illustrations are cute and typical
Annie Slagboom
Jan 06, 2014 Annie Slagboom rated it it was amazing
Porcupining: A Prickly Love Story is well written. I especially love the clever pun on words. Children will love the melodic song and will even sing the off tune lyrics.

I read this book to children on Valentine's Day. Always gives them chuckles and plenty to comment on.

A fun book to read out loud.

Mrs. Peura
Great title, story ok.
Jean Oram
May 11, 2010 Jean Oram rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
This little porcupine is pining for a mate. But who will enjoy his er, um, lovely and very truthful songs and fall for him? Certainly not the pigs. Certainly not the other animals at the petting farm. So, who will he find that will love him and all his prickles?

Kids love it if you sing the catchy song in a mournful, out of tune voice. They'll be singing along too.

Great for ages 4-7.
Ariel Cummins
Oct 03, 2012 Ariel Cummins rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
What's a porcupine to do when he's in a petting zoo? Strike out on his own and find a wife. Although this particular porcupine's songs are more offensive than sweet, and he keeps striking out -- until he meets the hedgehog of his dreams!

Pretty straight-forward kids book illustrations on this one.

The songs in this book and the multiple voices would make it a fun story for a story time!
Dolly
Aug 20, 2009 Dolly rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a silly story about a porcupine looking for love at the petting zoo. Cute illustrations and funny lyrics to his songs make this a fun book to read aloud. It's not specifically about Valentine's Day, but since it's a love story, that's a good time of year to read this book. We enjoyed reading this book together and we've read it a couple of times.
Jeanna
Oh the silliness. Plus, I totally had the song stuck in my head during the day today. The girls and I read the book, I wailed the song, and we were all happy at the end. (view spoiler)
Karin
Feb 28, 2012 Karin rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: 3-8 yr old girls
Another wonderful story by Lisa! This time it's a sad, but funny porcupine in a petting zoo! He needs someone to love but he goes about it in terrible manner, insulting all the animals in the zoo. Unfortunately he doesn't realize this, as he's singing his heart out hoping for love. It ends well tho!
Amy Burch
Dec 05, 2011 Amy Burch rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
The porcupine is an outsider at the petting zoo because no one is aloud to pet him. Later, he finds his true love. I feel like the moral of the story is, you aren't the only one and it is okay to be an outsider. This would be a good book to read if you are having trouble with bullying in the classroom.
Bonnie
Feb 06, 2015 Bonnie rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
Cute!
Megan
Feb 07, 2010 Megan rated it really liked it
Sick of being ignored by the children at the petting zoo, and longing for some companionship, Cushion the porcupine sets out to find a wife. The song he sings to each potential wife is a highlight, and despite Cushion's prickly body, he does end up with a suitable wife.
Jessica Bingham
Sep 12, 2013 Jessica Bingham rated it it was amazing
Shelves: animals, children-s
One of the best love stories I have ever read! Porcupine wants a wife, so he sets off with his guitar in search of his one true love. He tries to sing to all the animals he comes across, but none are persuaded by his song, until he meets a hedgehog. Great Story!!
Andria
Jan 10, 2015 Andria rated it it was amazing
The kids laughed hysterically when I read this too them, especially when I whispered to them, did he just call the pig fat? Etc. this was a rollicking good adventure as the porcupine searched for a wife. The songs just made the silliness come to life.
Brenda Pritchard
Mar 01, 2013 Brenda Pritchard rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
Preschool story time; theme (Valentine's Day); Narrative skills, vocabulary,
This is a very cute story about a Porcupine who wants to find a wife and goes through all the animals at the petting zoo before finding his love (a hedgehog).
  • A Porcupine Named Fluffy
  • Bones, Bones, Dinosaur Bones
  • Little Hoot
  • Alphabet Mystery
  • Mushroom in the Rain
  • Honey... Honey... Lion!
  • Three Hens and a Peacock