Start by marking “Barefoot In The Park (Acting Edition)” as Want to Read:
Barefoot In The Park (Acting Edition)

Barefoot In The Park (Acting Edition)

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  2,537 ratings  ·  48 reviews
Set in 1964, Barefoot in the Park follows the lives of newlyweds Paul and Connie Bratter as they adjust to married life in a tiny Greenwich Village apartment. Paul is a lawyer who's wound up a little too tight, while Connie is a free spirit bubbling over with romantic notions. In typical Simon style, all manner of comic chaos ensues as the Bratters' marriage begins to coll ...more
Paperback
Published December 1st 1966 by Samuel French (first published 1963)

To ask other readers questions about Barefoot In The Park, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Barefoot In The Park

Amanda
Aug 15, 2010 Amanda added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: saps, lunatics, and generally giddy folk
Recommended to Amanda by: oh, you know... people.
5 stars for the great mood I'm in right now. This play is just plain silliness, which normally doesn't float my boat. But man, oh, man, today it just hit the spot. We meet this young newlywed couple. She's happy-go-lucky and he's... Well, he's a lawyer. And a real stuffed- shirt. And in the face of a tiny Manhattan apartment with a hole in the skylight and reversed plumbing, their 2 week old marriage falls apart! But not to worry--they get back together. (Don't bitch about spoilers, people. Firs ...more
Kat
Basic Plot: Paul and Corie are two newlyweds trying to figure each other out and make their brand-new marriage work despite their personal differences.

This play was cute, but is getting to be considerably dated. As it was first performed in 1963 (and was written for that time period), I think that marriage is a bit different today. Paul and Corie hardly seem to know what they've gotten into by marrying each other. Paul is shocked by Corie's adventurousness, and she is annoyed by his conservatism
Lori
I picked the perfect time of year to read this cozy, funny little play about a couple just beginning to carve out their new lives together as newlyweds. I love autumn in NY!
Sheri
I liked this better than Arsenic and Old Lace, but it is also quite dated. I disagree with some that the Corie character is a complete airhead. I think she is very self centered, but I think there is some growth to the part. Mother (obviously) develops throughout; Victor is the male counterpoint to Corie (only when faced with a problem does he realize his own limitations) and Paul does not really change much. I have not seen it live, but I think would find it entertaining.
Alana
This was a fun, quirky little tale essentially about the first real fight between a newlywed couple. Funny, ridiculous in points, and just enough to make you appreciate the relationships in your life. Not a classic by any means, but a short, interesting read, and I'm sure a fun comedy to see on stage.
3/5
Czarny Pies
Nov 18, 2014 Czarny Pies rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: The Redford Fonda movie is charming in many spots.
Recommended to Czarny by: It was my mother's turn to host the bridge club so she sent me to the movie theatre to watch it.
Neil Simon was a great master of summer stock or dinner theatre. He always created a group of likeable characters belonging or closely attached to a family going through a trivial crisis that would be resolved to the satisfaction of all by the end of the play. His dialogues were superb. The pace was brisk and everyone in the audience felt jolly at the end. One should certainly never read a Neil Simon play but there are occasions when his light humour hits the spot.

I rather enjoyed seeing the mov
Ahmad Sharabiani
‏‎Barefoot in the park, ‎
عنوان: «پابرهنه در پارک [نمایشنامه]»، اثر: «نیل سایمون (۱۹۲۷)»؛ برگردان: «شهرام زرگر (۱۳۴۴)، و رامین ناصرنصیر (۱۳۵۱)»، نشر: «تهران، ن‍ی‍لا‏‫، چاپ نخست ۱۳۸۵، در 124 ص»، فروست: «قلمرو هنر؛ ۴۶»، ناظر: «حمید امجد (۱۳۴۷)»، شابک: 964-6900-52-6، موضوع: نمایشنامه آمریکایی-- ‏‫ قرن ۲۰م.‏

نمایشنامه بر محور یک زوج جوان به اسم «کوری» و «پل» است. آنها تازه یک خانه کوچک و قدیمی را، در طبقه پنجم کرایه کرده‌اند. تمرکز داستان بیشتر بر روی روابط بین آدم‌ها و نگاه آنها به زندگی است. نقل از
Rachel Swords
Kind of hard to like this play since Corie is such an airhead. I guess one has to see it fully performed to enjoy the whole thing.
I am a huge fan of the 1967 film adaptation of Neil Simon's play: Barefoot in the Park: A Comedy in Three Acts but I had never actually read the play itself before or seen it performed live. I listened to the audio version of Barefoot in the Park: A Comedy in Three Acts, which was read by Laura Linney and Eric Stoltz, and I just loved it! The audiobook sounded like a recorded performance of some kind as there was applause heard between the three acts. This story is a classic and is a great mood- ...more
Susannah
Deceptively simple; deceptively complex. Easy to see why this was such a hit!
Eric
I fell in love with this play in the first act. I thought it was fast, funny, and smart with some great character moments. The role of Corie is a lot of fun; she's completely in love and naive. Paul couldn't be anymore of a nerd but there's an endearing nature to his stuffiness, as long as you realize he just doesn't get it. The other, smaller roles are nice touches with the telephone repair man really owning his moments.
However, like Corie and her realization of marriage, my honeymoon stage wit
Brendan
This story had me smiling with delight, especially during the argument in the second act. It did make me bemoan simple stories with complicated sets. I mean, this set isn't horribly complex, but the skylight could give low budget amateur theatre fits.
Megan Page
Read this for my acting class and I really enjoyed both reading and watching it! The only thing I didn't like was the ending... far too abrupt for me, but on the whole, delightful, charming, and thoroughly entertaining.
Boni
This work is so hilarious and enjoyable. Barefoot in the Park is the longest-running play of Neil Simon. It was adapted to fiim, which stars Jane Fonda and Robert Redford, who reprised his Broadway role.
Shawna Fuller
Cameron got some plays to read over the summer for theater class, and I'm enjoying them as well!! I had never read this one, even though I love Neil Simon. This was good!!
Kaethe
The classic story: stodgy young guy is saved my a manic pixie dreamgirl. I wonder if the classical Greeks wrote on this theme?
Parichehr
Finding hidden desires of oneself
Melissa Railey
I've had this audiobook for years and never listened to it. What a waste! I've also never seen the movie so I had no clue what to expect. I laughed so hard listening to this play that anybody around me would have thought I was crazy. It was just so funny. The full cast production is spot on and every character is played to perfection. If you want a couple of hours of good fun laughs, listen to this audiobook.
A classic comedy! One that comes alive onstage, I bet, and shows the reader what a masterful comic dramatist Simon is; he takes the bare essentials -- a daffy couple, never-ending flights of stairs, a weirdo neighbor -- and builds up enough pressure to make divorce a actually possibility for our lovebirds. That's not something to be missed, and neither is his sharp, funny dialogue.
Cher
A light and fun play about a newly wed couple who have very different personalities. The overly dramatic Connie and her dry humored husband make for an interesting couple...then you throw his mother in law into the mix and an eccentric flirtatious neighbor and you have a hilarious riot! Great to read but I sure wouldn't want to live in their tiny fifth floor apt with all the chaos! :)
Lindsay
Aug 05, 2008 Lindsay rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those looking to read a comedy
Newly weds. Cory is spontaneous & emotional - her lawyer husband is not. She ends up turning a small argument into a huge fight & regrets the decisions she makes. Meanwhile the eccentric & foreign upstairs neighbor keeps flirting with Cory's mother. I love how hyper-emotional Cory is written in this play. The dialogue is quick paced & witty.
Rachel
Sometimes I choose a book to learn or to be entertained, but more often than anyone would guess, I choose my reading material based on its potential to make me laugh. This play is a classic and I adore it. You have to be able to appreciate slapstick humor and to visualize the stage notes. I like reading plays, though.
Megan
I listened to this as a book on tape and laughed and laughed.

It is a short play about a young newlywed couple moving into their first apartment. They meet the crazy neighbors, discover the quirks of the apartment, and have their first fight.

Rated PG-13 primarily for sexual innuendo.
Elena
Excellent play! Loved it!
I wish I could see it live in theaters somewhere... I watched the movie as well - Redford and Fonda - can't go wrong there... The movie is a bit different from the play - but not much...for the most part, they stay pretty true to the play. Loved it...
Kathryn
Despite not enjoying reading plays, I thought this play was entertaining and easy to read. The character's actions, at times exaggerated, have a sharp and witty humor that carries the story along. It is well-constructed, light-hearted, and honest.
Relyn
Nov 06, 2010 Relyn rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Relyn by: I just love Neil Simon
Shelves: audiobooks
I just listened to the version by LA Theater Works starring Laura Linney and Eric Stoltz. I like both those actors and think they did a good job. I'm not sorry I listened, but this is definitely NOT one of Simon's best plays.
Lisa " I give everything 5 stars" Marie Flatinko
A fun summer read- read it all this morning.

THE MOVIE IS TERRIBLE>>>but I had to watch Jane Fonda freak out and yell at Robert Redford, "don't touch me!" 7 times AAHHHHHHHHHH>>>>it's so funny.
Jordan Dossett
this is a wonderful joy. I loved every minute of it and would love to see it as a play. it's a very light story and was a nice lift from finishing a bigger book.
Heather
Since it is a play I think it is better to be watched with the appropriate pauses and inflections within the line. But still a fun little play on young marriage.
Martha
Listening to this dramatization of one of my favorite Neil Simon plays. I keep picturing the very young Jane Fonda and Robert Redford. LOL
Books2Movies Club: Barefoot in the Park 6 33 Jul 26, 2014 05:00PM
  • The Dining Room
  • Harvey
  • Waiting for Lefty
  • The Heidi Chronicles
Marvin Neil Simon is an American playwright and screenwriter. He is one of the most reliable hitmakers in Broadway history, as well as one of the most performed playwrights in the world. Though primarily a comic writer, some of his plays, particularly the Eugene Trilogy and The Sunshine Boys, reflect on the twentieth century Jewish-American experience.
More about Neil Simon...