Start by marking “Barefoot In The Park (Acting Edition)” as Want to Read:
Barefoot In The Park (Acting Edition)

Barefoot In The Park (Acting Edition)

3.88  ·  Rating Details ·  3,771 Ratings  ·  88 Reviews
Corrie and Paul are newly-weds who have just moved into their cold eyrie apartment in New York. Corrie is starry-eyed, Paul less so after staggering up five flights. Their house seems to be populated by unusual people, the most bohemian being Victor whom Corrie finds entertaining. Corrie tries matchmaking between Victor and her lonely mother but after a disastrous dinner p ...more
Paperback
Published February 6th 2015 by Samuel French (first published 1963)

To ask other readers questions about Barefoot In The Park, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Barefoot In The Park

Arezu Wishka
Jan 14, 2016 Arezu Wishka rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
مامان: ... خیلی ساده ست. فقط باید یه بخش کوچیک خودتو به اون اختصاص بدی. همه چی رو بازی فرض نکن. فقط آخرای شب تو اون اتاق کوچیک بالای پلهها جای بازیگوشیه. ازش مراقبت کن و بذار حس کن آدم مهمیه. اگه بتونی از پس این کار بربیای زندگی شاد و بینظیری در انتظارته.
***
چالش یه زوج عاشق، دو آدم با دو تیپ شخصیتی متفاوت. یکی دچار کمال گرایی و نداشتن توانایی برای با فراغ بال تفریح کردن و اون یکی ماجراجو و ریسکی و پش
Susan
This was thoroughly enjoyable and far too short. The cast was fantastic and perfect for this Neil Simon's timeless story.
Amanda
Jan 29, 2016 Amanda added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: saps, lunatics, and generally giddy folk
Recommended to Amanda by: oh, you know... people.
Shelves: plays
5 stars for the great mood I'm in right now. This play is just plain silliness, which normally doesn't float my boat. But man, oh, man, today it just hit the spot. We meet this young newlywed couple. She's happy-go-lucky and he's... Well, he's a lawyer. And a real stuffed- shirt. And in the face of a tiny Manhattan apartment with a hole in the skylight and reversed plumbing, their 2 week old marriage falls apart! But not to worry--they get back together. (Don't bitch about spoilers, people. Firs ...more
Ahmad Sharabiani
Barefoot in the park,
عنوان: پابرهنه در پارک [نمایشنامه]؛ اثر: نیل سایمون (1927)»؛ برگردان: «شهرام زرگر (1344)؛ رامین ناصرنصیر (1351)»، نشر: تهران، نیلا، چاپ نخست 1385، در 124 ص، فروست: قلمرو هنر؛ 46، ناظر: حمید امجد (1347)، شابک: 9646900526؛ موضوع: نمایشنامه نویسندگان آمریکایی-- قرن 20 م.
نمایشنامه بر محور یک زوج جوان به اسم «کوری» و «پل» است. آنها تازه یک خانه کوچک و قدیمی را، در طبقه پنجم کرایه کرده اند. تمرکز داستان بیشتر بر روی روابط بین آدمها و نگاه آنها به زندگی است. نقل از کتاب: «مادر ال
Diane
Feb 11, 2016 Diane rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: drama-poetry
Paul and Corie Bratter have been married just six days when they move into their first home together - an apartment five floors up (six, if you count the stoop) with a broken skylight (in winter), no furniture, and no bathtub. About the only thing that works is the phone. Paul is conservative, down to earth, and sensible. Corie is his total opposite - happy, extroverted, and fun loving. She sees the best in everything and everyone.

Oh, the neighbor in the attic (Victor Velasco) has to climb thro
Kat
May 08, 2012 Kat rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: plays, 2012, romantical
Basic Plot: Paul and Corie are two newlyweds trying to figure each other out and make their brand-new marriage work despite their personal differences.

This play was cute, but is getting to be considerably dated. As it was first performed in 1963 (and was written for that time period), I think that marriage is a bit different today. Paul and Corie hardly seem to know what they've gotten into by marrying each other. Paul is shocked by Corie's adventurousness, and she is annoyed by his conservatism
Sanjaaab
Jan 12, 2016 Sanjaaab rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
کوری: منم عاشقشم فقط نمیدونم چی میخواد. نمیدونم چطوری میتونم خوشحالش کنم. وای مامان، چی کار باید بکنم؟
#پابرهنهـدرـپارک
Lindsay Wilson
Jul 20, 2016 Lindsay Wilson rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: plays
Yeah, okay. I get why people like this play. It's charming and reasonably funny, but it's also gotten very dated, particularly in terms of gender roles. And if we're being honest here, Corie is kind of a huge baby, no? She and Paul have their first and only fight and she's hysterically shrieking about wanting a divorce and then doesn't let up about it til the play is basically over. It's hard to sympathize with her when Paul is being so reasonable and she's losing her shit. I also had a hard tim ...more
Sheri
Jun 24, 2013 Sheri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: play
I liked this better than Arsenic and Old Lace, but it is also quite dated. I disagree with some that the Corie character is a complete airhead. I think she is very self centered, but I think there is some growth to the part. Mother (obviously) develops throughout; Victor is the male counterpoint to Corie (only when faced with a problem does he realize his own limitations) and Paul does not really change much. I have not seen it live, but I think would find it entertaining.
Alana
This was a fun, quirky little tale essentially about the first real fight between a newlywed couple. Funny, ridiculous in points, and just enough to make you appreciate the relationships in your life. Not a classic by any means, but a short, interesting read, and I'm sure a fun comedy to see on stage.
3/5
Lori
I picked the perfect time of year to read this cozy, funny little play about a couple just beginning to carve out their new lives together as newlyweds. I love autumn in NY!
Rachel Swords
Kind of hard to like this play since Corie is such an airhead. I guess one has to see it fully performed to enjoy the whole thing.
Amara
Jun 30, 2015 Amara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh this was good! It was an Audible sale version, and I just loved it. Neil Simon does dialog that lives.
Cassie
Nov 02, 2015 Cassie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: classic theatre fans, rom-coms
Recommended to Cassie by: hoopla
An American classic comedy. It's a little dated, but still pretty entertaining. The audiobook I listened to had Laura Linney as Corie, and I think it was a perfect match.
Sachin Gopal
Jun 23, 2015 Sachin Gopal rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
On a tired evening, this book with a coffee is going to cheer you up like none. A very good read.
Susannah
Dec 10, 2011 Susannah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Deceptively simple; deceptively complex. Easy to see why this was such a hit!
Juli Keele
Dec 30, 2016 Juli Keele rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would like to be in this play.
Nicole
Sep 24, 2016 Nicole rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was feeling a romcom and this fit the bill delightfully. Perhaps not as warm as The Goodbye Girl, but the bickering is just so much fun. And the sub-plot romance really makes it.
Elise
Sep 14, 2016 Elise rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Received a copy of this script from my college theater program yesterday as we are putting on a production of it this fall and I am part of the cast! I had also never herd of this play before or even knew what it was about until I read the script. I enjoyed how funny this play was it was a great read!
Eric Mikols
Jan 15, 2012 Eric Mikols rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scripts
I fell in love with this play in the first act. I thought it was fast, funny, and smart with some great character moments. The role of Corie is a lot of fun; she's completely in love and naive. Paul couldn't be anymore of a nerd but there's an endearing nature to his stuffiness, as long as you realize he just doesn't get it. The other, smaller roles are nice touches with the telephone repair man really owning his moments.
However, like Corie and her realization of marriage, my honeymoon stage wit
Leah Angstman
Aug 07, 2015 Leah Angstman rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of plays from the 50s-80s era, slightly outdated
While the play is a little outdated, the humor and the obviously great wit of Neil Simon are not. This is a fantastic romantic comedy of opposites attract, with intelligent humor and interesting characters. The quick premise is that a couple, after knowing each other only 6 days, impulsively get married and move into a brownstone in New York, where they quickly discover that they didn't know each other so well. This means disaster, of course, but don't fear; since it is a comedy, the disaster is ...more
I am a huge fan of the 1967 film adaptation of Neil Simon's play: Barefoot in the Park: A Comedy in Three Acts but I had never actually read the play itself before or seen it performed live. I listened to the audio version of Barefoot in the Park: A Comedy in Three Acts, which was read by Laura Linney and Eric Stoltz, and I just loved it! The audiobook sounded like a recorded performance of some kind as there was applause heard between the three acts. This story is a classic and is a great mood- ...more
Czarny Pies
Nov 18, 2014 Czarny Pies rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: The Redford Fonda movie is charming in many spots.
Recommended to Czarny by: It was my mother's turn to host the bridge club so she sent me to the movie theatre to watch it.
Neil Simon was a great master of summer stock or dinner theatre. He always created a group of likeable characters belonging or closely attached to a family going through a trivial crisis that would be resolved to the satisfaction of all by the end of the play. His dialogues were superb. The pace was brisk and everyone in the audience felt jolly at the end. One should certainly never read a Neil Simon play but there are occasions when his light humour hits the spot.

I rather enjoyed seeing the mov
Shima
Sep 05, 2015 Shima rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
من نمایش نامه خون نیستم تئاتر بینم، تنها رلیلم برای خواندن این کتاب این بود که آن را از دوست عزیزی کادو گرفتم
و به طرز خوشایندی سورپرایز شدم! فکر می کنم اولین نمایشنامه ای بود که بدون این که از جایم بلند شوم تمام کردم
کوتاه است و وقت زیادی نمی گیرد اما شخصیت ها به طرز عجیبی زنده و اتفاق های روزمره هیجان انگیز می شوند. بعید است موقع خواندن این شخصیت ها شمارا یاد خورتان یا ادم های اطرافتان نیدازند
اگر به اندازه ی من در کادو گرفتن این کتاب خوش شانس نیستید پیشنهاد می کنم حتما آن را بخرید تا لااقل با خ
maryam
Jan 09, 2016 maryam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
پابرهنه در پارک برشی از زندگی یک زوج جوان است که چند روزی بیشتز از ازدواجشان نمیگذرد. زوجی که ظاهرا در یک نگاه عاشق هم شدهاند و تصمیم به زندگی گرفتهاند و هیچ از ازدواج و حتا از همدیگر نمیدانند و فقط آتششان تند است. اما زندگی واقعی و قرار گرفتن زیر یک سقف، اختلافات و مشکلات اساسیتری را پدید میآورد. نمایشنامه ، با ریتم تند و جذاب و با لایههایی از طنز، وضعیت مضحک این زوج جوان را به خوبی به تصویر میکشد. همچنین با شرح کامل تک تک صحنهها به تصویرسازی خواننده بسیار کمک میکند. با این حال خیلی دوست دارم ر ...more
Melissa Railey
Dec 22, 2015 Melissa Railey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013, audiobooks, classics
I've had this audiobook for years and never listened to it. What a waste! I've also never seen the movie so I had no clue what to expect. I laughed so hard listening to this play that anybody around me would have thought I was crazy. It was just so funny. The full cast production is spot on and every character is played to perfection. If you want a couple of hours of good fun laughs, listen to this audiobook.
Kylie Funk Kramer
Apr 23, 2016 Kylie Funk Kramer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A perfect text if you're short on time, but want to think and laugh. Amazing how relationships and the ups and downs that come with them are timeless. Simon's characters are perfect! So
Many brilliant one-liners. The story can be enjoyed for its surface value but also to get us thinking about ourselves, our society and our future. So good!
Lindsay
Aug 05, 2008 Lindsay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those looking to read a comedy
Newly weds. Cory is spontaneous & emotional - her lawyer husband is not. She ends up turning a small argument into a huge fight & regrets the decisions she makes. Meanwhile the eccentric & foreign upstairs neighbor keeps flirting with Cory's mother. I love how hyper-emotional Cory is written in this play. The dialogue is quick paced & witty.
Apr 01, 2012 Sarah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: drama
A classic comedy! One that comes alive onstage, I bet, and shows the reader what a masterful comic dramatist Simon is; he takes the bare essentials -- a daffy couple, never-ending flights of stairs, a weirdo neighbor -- and builds up enough pressure to make divorce a actually possibility for our lovebirds. That's not something to be missed, and neither is his sharp, funny dialogue.
Cher
May 21, 2009 Cher rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A light and fun play about a newly wed couple who have very different personalities. The overly dramatic Connie and her dry humored husband make for an interesting couple...then you throw his mother in law into the mix and an eccentric flirtatious neighbor and you have a hilarious riot! Great to read but I sure wouldn't want to live in their tiny fifth floor apt with all the chaos! :)
Books2Movies Club: Barefoot in the Park 6 34 Jul 26, 2014 05:00PM
  • A Walk in the Woods.
  • Harvey
  • Crimes of the Heart
  • Agnes of God
Marvin Neil Simon is an American playwright and screenwriter. He is one of the most reliable hitmakers in Broadway history, as well as one of the most performed playwrights in the world. Though primarily a comic writer, some of his plays, particularly the Eugene Trilogy and The Sunshine Boys, reflect on the twentieth century Jewish-American experience.
More about Neil Simon...