Start by marking “Legacy of Honor: The Values and Influence of America's Eagle Scouts” as Want to Read:
Legacy of Honor: The Values and Influence of America's Eagle Scouts

Legacy of Honor: The Values and Influence of America's Eagle Scouts

Over the past century, America's Eagle Scouts have earned a reputation for service, virtue, and leadership that is recognized throughout the world. But few people realize the full extent to which Eagle Scouts have made a mark on American history. They have served as astronauts, soldiers, politicians, and businessmen, but they have also been the fathers, brothers, Scoutmast ...more
Published January 1st 2007 by Thomas Dunne Books (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Legacy of Honor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Legacy of Honor

Amanda
Jan 18, 2009 Amanda rated it it was amazing
Shelves: other
I picked up my Dad's copy of the book after finding it sitting out on the table and it was over an hour later before I finally put it down to go to bed. Townley takes readers on a journey through not only the history of the Boy Scouts, but the history of America through many of its heroes. From the Flying Tigers to 9/11, from Vietnam Helo pilots to NASA astronauts, Eagle Scouts have helped shape our society.
Doug
Jan 15, 2009 Doug rated it really liked it
Shelves: scouting
Inspirational! As a long time Scouter, I had a good idea of who were Eagles but it was interesting to read about their experiences. I was also amazed that I shared similar experiences that some of those written about had. I too have been criticized for doing my best by fellow employees (they have to work harder). Anyway, I found the book very inspirational.
Anne
Oct 19, 2008 Anne rated it really liked it
Alvin Townley shares the stories of Eagle Scouts from all walks of life. These are courageous and inspirational men who have had a profound influence on America.
Patrick Higgins
Aug 06, 2011 Patrick Higgins rated it it was amazing
This is a great book to have on hand to loan to parents who are unsure about their son joining Scouting. Also very good to give to a younger Scout who is unsure about why he should stay in Scouting.
Jeff
Jul 13, 2008 Jeff rated it really liked it
Didn't have the first clue as to how many noteworthy Eagle Scouts there are and the lasting effect those years had on theirh lives. Surprisingly well-written, educational and inspiring read.
Randall Harrison
Enjoyed reading the story of the experiences of the varied men identified who earned Eagle Scout rank as teenagers and how that experience affected them positively throughout their lives.

I gave this book to my son, a Life Scout, for Christmas. He is working toward Eagle but needs an occasional push. I was relieved to read that most of the men identified in this book required similar encouragement.

I want him to read, and be inspired by the stories Townley tells. I want him to understand how the
Mike Pouraryan
Apr 05, 2011 Mike Pouraryan rated it it was amazing
This is a book that gives us insights into all who have had the privilege to be Eagle Scouts. Jim Lowell, Percy Sutton, Michael Bloomberg, Gerald Ford, Robert Gates are but a sampling of all that understood the essence of Scout Law. I was especially inspired by the story of Zayed Yasin..a Muslim who understood and lived the Scout Law to the fullest...an example for us all of us to be inspired by....
Tom
Apr 21, 2013 Tom rated it really liked it
This is an enjoyable book that takes a look at how once you are an Eagle Scout, you are always an Eagle Scout. While this book only looks at the lives of some Eagle Scouts, it makes you realize that trying to do your best and help other people at all times is not such a bad thing. If you are a scout or a parent of a scout it is a good read and helpful reminder about what the program is truly about.
Jennifer McIntyre
Jan 10, 2015 Jennifer McIntyre rated it really liked it
We have Boy Scouts on Monday and Cub Scouts on Tuesday - so I try to read a chapter over the weekend. Some chapters are really long - so I may have to break them up - but the boys get a little whoozy listening to the lengthy stories. In the end - I think it will have an impact.
Bryan D.
Feb 16, 2013 Bryan D. rated it really liked it
I think the title says it all. "Legacy of Honor: The Values and Influence of America's Eagle Scouts". There are so many great Eagle Scouts throughout history and Alvin Townley tells some of their stories in this book.
Michael
Jun 16, 2011 Michael rated it it was amazing
A really easy read, and an excellent collection of stories about Eagle Scouts and the scouting movement in general. I think anyone who spent some time in scouts as a kid, can appreciate the stories within this book.
Austin Muraille
Oct 19, 2014 Austin Muraille rated it it was amazing
Such a wonderful book which truly shows the values that all Eagle Scouts have and opens one's eye to the major influence that one can hold as an Eagle Scout.
Anthony Nuccio
May 17, 2012 Anthony Nuccio rated it it was amazing
Wonderful first book from a relatively unknown author. It should be on Eagle Scout's bookshelf, or at the very least a coffee table.
Julie
Feb 20, 2014 Julie rated it liked it
Inspiring, but choppy. I wish he would have had less people, but explored their story more deeply. I felt like I was just getting to know somebody when boom, he moved on to the next person.
Cookiemadeit
Oct 07, 2009 Cookiemadeit rated it it was amazing
I've learned that there is even more to being an Eagle Scout then we will ever know, but we need more of them in the WORLD!
Matthew Harrington
Matthew Harrington rated it it was amazing
Jan 09, 2013
Chris Baldwin
Chris Baldwin rated it it was amazing
Aug 16, 2016
Graham
Graham rated it really liked it
Jul 07, 2008
Bryce
Bryce rated it really liked it
Dec 23, 2015
Chris Murphy
Chris Murphy rated it it was amazing
Feb 03, 2011
Dylan Principi
Dylan Principi rated it it was ok
Nov 05, 2013
Matthew Bergquist
Matthew Bergquist rated it really liked it
Aug 11, 2014
Echo
Echo rated it really liked it
Aug 27, 2008
Michael Driscoll
Michael Driscoll rated it it was amazing
Jun 16, 2014
Peter
Peter rated it it was amazing
Oct 21, 2014
Brian
Brian rated it it was amazing
Jun 26, 2016
Budd
Budd rated it it was amazing
Sep 17, 2012
Jack Evans
Jack Evans rated it it was amazing
Mar 30, 2015
Valerie
Valerie rated it it was amazing
Nov 13, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Scouting for Boys: A Handbook for Instruction in Good Citizenship
  • At War on the Gothic Line: Fighting in Italy, 1944-45
  • Boy Scout Handbook, the Official
  • Fieldbook
  • Shanghai Grand: Forbidden Love and International Intrigue in a Doomed World
  • A Nation of Immigrants
  • Les Parisiennes: How the Women of Paris Lived, Loved, and Died Under Nazi Occupation
  • Pablo Escobar: My Father
  • Lives of the Signers of the Declaration of Independence
  • Because of Sex: One Law, Ten Cases, and Fifty Years That Changed American Women's Lives at Work
  • Prince of Darkness: The Untold Story of Jeremiah G. Hamilton, Wall Street's First Black Millionaire
  • Fail U.: The False Promise of Higher Education
  • Steve McQueen
  • Our Family Dreams: The Fletchers' Adventures in Nineteenth Century America
  • Old Tippecanoe: William Henry Harrison and His Time
  • The Essays, Vol. 1: 1904-1912
  • Poison Tea: How Big Oil and Big Tobacco Invented the Tea Party and Captured the GOP
  • Mr. Jefferson's Hammer: William Henry Harrison and the Origins of American Indian Policy

“The boys teach; the Scoutmaster tests.” 1 likes
“At Sanford’s 1998 funeral in Duke Chapel, childhood friend Dickson Philips eulogized this Eagle from Troop 20 in the town of Laurinburg. To the assembled crowd, he eloquently said, “[Terry Sanford] took an oath when he was twelve years old and kept it. It started out, ‘On my honor, I will do my best to do my duty to God and my country,’ and included such things as ‘help other people at all times.’ He believed it: He was the eternal Boy Scout.” 0 likes