Start by marking “The Babbo Cookbook” as Want to Read:

The Babbo Cookbook

Some of the most inspired (and acclaimed) Italian food in the country is served at Babbo Ristorante e Enoteca, Mario Batali’s flagship restaurant in the heart of New York City’s Greenwich Village. Diners in this converted town house have come to expect innovative flavors and artful presentations that make the most of seasonal, local, and artisanal ingredients—all with a se ...more
Published April 30th 2002 by Clarkson Potter

To ask other readers questions about The Babbo Cookbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Babbo Cookbook

Valerie
Jun 03, 2008 Valerie rated it liked it
Shelves: cooking
I came to Mario Batali's Babbo Cookbook by way of Bill Buford's Heat: An Amateur's Adventures as Kitchen Slave, Line Cook, Pasta-Maker, and Apprentice to a Dante-Quoting Butcher in Tuscany, which is partially about time he spent working in the kitchen at Babbo. I got really excited to make some good Bolognese sauce, so I requested The Babbo Cookbook from the library.

I did make an excellent Bolognese from it (recipe posted here) that I will make again. But as far as the rest of the recipes go, I
Candace
Jan 03, 2008 Candace rated it really liked it
Shelves: cooking
most of the recipes in this book are time consuming and involve specialty italian ingredients, so it's not the most practical thing in the world, but holy meatballs are they good. this is a good book to turn to special events or if you found a nice piece of meat or fish at the market and want to do it justice.

warning: this man has a serious addiction to butter and olive oil. i've found that if i cut out a little less than half of what he calls for, everything is still delicious and my arteries a
Joyce
Aug 24, 2013 Joyce rated it liked it
I'm actually somewhat put off by this cookbook simply because the recipes are such that you can't just whip them up after work. Rather, these recipes require a trip to the market first and a search for hard to find ingredients. Having said that, the recipes and photos look divine. I tried the Bolognese sauce, but was disappointed. It was good, but had higher expectation. So my rating has come down a notch.
Catherine Woodman
Jul 31, 2011 Catherine Woodman rated it really liked it
I love the shrimp, clams and galric recipe--one of the shrimps I make all the time--great flavor, super easy, can be done at the last minute so your guests aren't sitting alone too long--but there is alot about this cookbook that is not accessible to the week night cook.
Rachel
Nov 17, 2008 Rachel rated it liked it
Some great recipes. I really enjoy this cookbook but its fatal flaw is there are some poorly written recipes. I suggest reading, then re-reading before executing anything in this book.

One of my favorite things to cook in this book is the butternut squash orzo. Wonderful and seasonal dish.
Bobsie67
Apr 21, 2008 Bobsie67 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cuisine
Apaprently, Mario leaves out the "secret touches" that make his dishes soar at Babbo; nevertheless, the book is beautiful and msot of the recipes appear very doable. Besides, its an easy way to relive a dinner at Babbo without paying the price.
Amy
Jan 15, 2015 Amy rated it liked it
There were lots of yummy sounding recipes in this book, but I felt like most of them would be a little harder for the average home cook. Still was a great read!
Kelly Dunham
Mar 07, 2008 Kelly Dunham rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
YUM! I love this book. We have enjoyed everything we have tried.
Hallie
Feb 29, 2008 Hallie rated it really liked it
Shelves: cooking-eating
I thought this was going to be celebrity crap, but so not. Really good desserts. Rosemary pound cake with lemon syrup that is simple and really good and travels well.
Theresa
Jul 24, 2011 Theresa rated it liked it
Shelves: review
Batali, Mario
many well made Italian recipes written to allow you to experience them at home
Anonymous
Jul 11, 2012 Anonymous rated it really liked it
I want to make the Guanciale (cured pork jowl), Duck Bresaola (cured duck breast) and All'Amatriciana pasta! Yummy!!!!
Johanna
Feb 21, 2007 Johanna rated it really liked it
yummier!
Pixie
Jul 04, 2010 Pixie rated it it was amazing
I love all of Batali's cookbooks. This one is probably at the top of the heap.
Russell
Aug 25, 2009 Russell rated it really liked it
still to need to check the way the recipes actually work in the kitchen, but definitely whet my appetite.
Tony
Nov 13, 2007 Tony rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
Yay, food! Me hungry! Mario Batali IS the comic book guy from The Simpsons.
Kelly
Dec 17, 2013 Kelly rated it it was ok
Shelves: cookbooks
I focused all of my energies on the dessert section of this book.
jennifer
Jul 10, 2011 jennifer added it
Shelves: cookbooks
i think modo mio stole a lot from babbo! but someone still needs to take me there.
Cathy Lewis
Jan 16, 2016 Cathy Lewis rated it it was amazing
Yum.
Marian
May 22, 2009 Marian rated it it was ok
Shelves: cook
Time consuming, expensive and artsy ingredeients combined with a pompous tone. No thanks. I'd rather not cook with your book.
Junita
May 31, 2009 Junita rated it liked it
Copy down the recipe for Mint Love Letters with Spicy Lamb Sausage and return your copy to the library.
Jennifer Yoon
Jennifer Yoon rated it liked it
Aug 03, 2012
Wende Phifer Mate
Wende Phifer Mate rated it really liked it
Mar 12, 2017
Jacob W
Jacob W rated it really liked it
Dec 02, 2011
Lydia Anne Haley
Lydia Anne Haley rated it it was amazing
Jan 20, 2016
Dje69
Dje69 rated it it was amazing
May 07, 2012
James white
James white rated it it was amazing
Aug 15, 2016
Ian Brannigan
Ian Brannigan rated it it was amazing
Nov 26, 2008
Lolobull
Lolobull rated it it was amazing
Feb 16, 2016
John Williams
John Williams rated it it was amazing
Dec 16, 2015
Sarah rated it really liked it
Nov 17, 2011
  • Rick Bayless's Mexican Kitchen
  • Marcella Cucina
  • The Mozza Cookbook: Recipes from Los Angeles's Favorite Italian Restaurant and Pizzeria
  • Chez Panisse Cafe Cookbook
  • Bouchon
  • A Platter of Figs and Other Recipes
  • Thai Food
  • The Barbecue! Bible
  • The Escoffier Cookbook and Guide to the Fine Art of Cookery: For Connoisseurs, Chefs, Epicures Complete With 2973 Recipes
  • Think Like a Chef
  • The Martha Stewart Living Cookbook: The New Classics
  • Avec Eric: A Culinary Journey with Eric Ripert
  • 1080 Recipes
  • The Fat Duck Cookbook
Mario Batali is known to most people as both the star of the Food Network's Molto Mario and one of the Iron Chefs on Iron Chef America. Winner of numerous awards for his restaurants, Mario himself is the recipient of the 2005 James Beard All-Clad Outstanding Chef Award, the most prestigious cooking honor there is. Mario is also a huge NASCAR fan. Like many guys his age, Mario first discovered the ...more
More about Mario Batali...