The Babbo Cookbook

The Babbo Cookbook

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  242 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Some of the most inspired (and acclaimed) Italian food in the country is served at Babbo Ristorante e Enoteca, Mario Batali’s flagship restaurant in the heart of New York City’s Greenwich Village. Diners in this converted town house have come to expect innovative flavors and artful presentations that make the most of seasonal, local, and artisanal ingredients—all with a se...more
Published April 30th 2002 by Clarkson Potter

To ask other readers questions about The Babbo Cookbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Babbo Cookbook

Valerie
I came to Mario Batali's Babbo Cookbook by way of Bill Buford's Heat: An Amateur's Adventures as Kitchen Slave, Line Cook, Pasta-Maker, and Apprentice to a Dante-Quoting Butcher in Tuscany, which is partially about time he spent working in the kitchen at Babbo. I got really excited to make some good Bolognese sauce, so I requested The Babbo Cookbook from the library.

I did make an excellent Bolognese from it (recipe posted here) that I will make again. But as far as the rest of the recipes go, I...more
Candace
most of the recipes in this book are time consuming and involve specialty italian ingredients, so it's not the most practical thing in the world, but holy meatballs are they good. this is a good book to turn to special events or if you found a nice piece of meat or fish at the market and want to do it justice.

warning: this man has a serious addiction to butter and olive oil. i've found that if i cut out a little less than half of what he calls for, everything is still delicious and my arteries a...more
Joyce
I'm actually somewhat put off by this cookbook simply because the recipes are such that you can't just whip them up after work. Rather, these recipes require a trip to the market first and a search for hard to find ingredients. Having said that, the recipes and photos look divine. I tried the Bolognese sauce, but was disappointed. It was good, but had higher expectation. So my rating has come down a notch.
Rachel
Some great recipes. I really enjoy this cookbook but its fatal flaw is there are some poorly written recipes. I suggest reading, then re-reading before executing anything in this book.

One of my favorite things to cook in this book is the butternut squash orzo. Wonderful and seasonal dish.
Catherine Woodman
I love the shrimp, clams and galric recipe--one of the shrimps I make all the time--great flavor, super easy, can be done at the last minute so your guests aren't sitting alone too long--but there is alot about this cookbook that is not accessible to the week night cook.
Bobsie67
Apaprently, Mario leaves out the "secret touches" that make his dishes soar at Babbo; nevertheless, the book is beautiful and msot of the recipes appear very doable. Besides, its an easy way to relive a dinner at Babbo without paying the price.
Hallie
I thought this was going to be celebrity crap, but so not. Really good desserts. Rosemary pound cake with lemon syrup that is simple and really good and travels well.
Marian
May 22, 2009 Marian rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: cook
Time consuming, expensive and artsy ingredeients combined with a pompous tone. No thanks. I'd rather not cook with your book.
Anonymous
I want to make the Guanciale (cured pork jowl), Duck Bresaola (cured duck breast) and All'Amatriciana pasta! Yummy!!!!
Russell
still to need to check the way the recipes actually work in the kitchen, but definitely whet my appetite.
Junita
Copy down the recipe for Mint Love Letters with Spicy Lamb Sausage and return your copy to the library.
jennifer
Jul 10, 2011 jennifer added it
Shelves: cookbooks
i think modo mio stole a lot from babbo! but someone still needs to take me there.
Pixie
I love all of Batali's cookbooks. This one is probably at the top of the heap.
Colleen
I made roasted beet and parmigiano brochette (p.25) and it was really good!
Tony
Yay, food! Me hungry! Mario Batali IS the comic book guy from The Simpsons.
Kelly
I focused all of my energies on the dessert section of this book.
Kelly Dunham
YUM! I love this book. We have enjoyed everything we have tried.
Theresa
many well made Italian recipes
Johanna
yummier!
Candy Wyman
Candy Wyman marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2014
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
Ginnie Grant
Ginnie Grant marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2014
Nicole Brundige
Nicole Brundige marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2014
Jill
Jill added it
Aug 16, 2014
Ashley Gibson
Ashley Gibson marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2014
  • Martha Stewart's Hors d'Oeuvres Handbook
  • Noma: Time and Place in Nordic Cuisine
  • The Fat Duck Cookbook
  • Thai Food
  • The Escoffier Cookbook and Guide to the Fine Art of Cookery: For Connoisseurs, Chefs, Epicures Complete With 2973 Recipes
  • Heart of the Artichoke: and Other Kitchen Journeys
  • Julia and Jacques Cooking at Home
  • Madhur Jaffrey Indian Cooking
  • The Splendid Table
  • The Zuni Cafe Cookbook: A Compendium of Recipes and Cooking Lessons from San Francisco's Beloved Restaurant
  • Lidia's Italian-American Kitchen
Mario Batali is known to most people as both the star of the Food Network's Molto Mario and one of the Iron Chefs on Iron Chef America. Winner of numerous awards for his restaurants, Mario himself is the recipient of the 2005 James Beard All-Clad Outstanding Chef Award, the most prestigious cooking honor there is. Mario is also a huge NASCAR fan. Like many guys his age, Mario first discovered the...more
More about Mario Batali...
Molto Italiano: 327 Simple Italian Recipes to Cook at Home Mario Batali Simple Italian Food: Recipes from My Two Villages Spain...A Culinary Road Trip Molto Gusto: Easy Italian Cooking Italian Grill