Start by marking “Molto Italiano: 327 Simple Italian Recipes to Cook at Home” as Want to Read:
Molto Italiano: 327 Simple Italian Recipes to Cook at Home

Molto Italiano: 327 Simple Italian Recipes to Cook at Home

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  4,888 ratings  ·  64 reviews
A collection of accessible Italian recipes, many culled from the author's popular ''Molto Mario'' cooking show, instructs home chefs on how to simplify and understand everything from purchasing ingredients to mastering elaborate preparation procedures.
Published May 3rd 2005 by Ecco (first published May 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Molto Italiano, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Molto Italiano

I almost regret buying this book. I love watching Mario cook on Iron Chef and enjoying reading about his larger-than-life personality in Heat, but this cookbook is just too hard to cook from. The recipes casually call for ingredients like pork jowls and spanish paprika. And there are usually so few ingredients that it's almost not worth doing a substitution. I hope to try some of his homemade pasta doughs though.

It's a shame that the recipes aren't a little more simple. This book is beautifully
Steven Peterson
I received Mario Bateli's Molto Italiano as a gift. And a nice gift it was!

There are some recipes in the book that are not so simple. However, there are others that can be both easy to make and quite tasty! One example: Frittata with Spinach and Cheese. I have made frittatas before, but this recipe is very interesting and is a lot tastier than what I have made previously. Spinach, onion, eggs, grated parmigiano-reggiano. Simple components and a tasty result. Other relatively easy to make dishes
Kathy Duffy
Some interesting recipe possibilities here, though there were also a great number I wouldn't touch...I am not big into things like octopus but like all decent cookbooks, there were some recipes I wanted to try. On the healthy size the Vegetable Mash sounded interesting as did the pan roasted turnips. I got all the ingredients for the Capri Orange Tart but haven't had the time to make it yet. The rum and ricotta fritters also sounded yummy.
I agree with all the people who say that some of the recipes in the book aren't the easiest and that some have obscure ingredients, but from the ones I've tried out to date, I must say the food is absolutely divine. The flavors are matched so well.

Of the ones I tried I cooked the pork roast (black rooster style). The meat was so soft after the 4 or so hours of cooking, the food literally melted in my mouth. Also there is a recipe for veal rolls, with pine nuts and cranberries, that are fried on
Hands down the best Italian cookbook. I've read a number of Italian cookbooks from Marcella Hazan to Sophia Loren, all of which left me wanting more. Molto Italiano covers it all. This book should be an indispensable part of everyone's kitchen library. I wish I were able to easily acquire the ingredients required in these recipe but alas not in Calgary. I went to numerous supermarkets just to be able to find fresh fennel. Most of the recipes also require quality wines. I am as yet not able to sp ...more
Linda Karlsson
As with any cookbook; one does not use ALL the recipes. Find your super special one that may resonate with your culture. I am addicted to the Lamb Shank recipe and totally delighted with the turnips with poppy seeds; particularly when I get tiny ones at my local farmer's market! Sometimes we try to cover up our lack of confidence in trying new recipes; I say Mario gives us the opportunity to 'go for it". Have fun with this cookbook.
I just got back from Rome - and I'm having serious food and wine withdrawals. I think about it in my sleep, the gnocchi, the fresh pasta, the perfect bruschette, all washed down with dark waves of Nero d'Avola and Montepulciano. When I got home I started immediately spooning with my giant Italian cookbook, The Silver Spoon, finally published in English by Phaidon. But you know what - for a book that is 1200 pages long, it was missing a few of those delicious things I nibbled in Rome. But guess w ...more
I picked this book up at the St. Louis Book Fair this spring. A woman walked by and noticed it. She said she had it and loved it. She rattled off a few of her favorite recipes for me. When I got home I noticed it was a James Beard Award winner. I was so excited. I felt like I had hit the jackpot!

I've made a few recipes from it now and all of them have been good. Just good. Not great. It's a lovely book and full of great information but I want better recipes. Nothing here has blown me away yet.

We LOVE the meatball recipe!!!
I was pleasantly surprised by Molto Italiano. It has so many legitimately good, authentic Italian recipes in it. Nice photos and easy to follow recipes. Some of the recipes are slightly more difficult than others, but all seem to be on the easier/medium spectrum. I was pleased with the variety: anitipasto, soups, pastas, fish, meats, veggies, desserts....So a little of everything to choose from and something for everyone. Definitely one of the better Italian cookbooks I've come across.
This is why you go out to eat...this food is too damn difficult to make at home. These recipes are not simple at all.
Lots of interesting recipes, even for the vegetarian (if you omit the anchovies). Mario shares beautifully written information about the culinary characteristics of the different regions of Italy, but at times he comes off as a snob.
"Breadcrumbs from a canister have no place in a real kitchen."
Ok, Mario, since everyone has the time and the money to make oven-toasted breadcrumbs from fresh bread...
Echoing other Goodreads reviews, this is not a simple cookbook. Authentic Italian cooking is so much of its place that it's difficult to adjust the recipes for the North American grocery, so I get it, Mario. Still, I won't be cooking from this book. Italian is not one of my favourite cuisines anyway - too much focus on the ever-lovin' olive.

It is a lovely thing, though, and interesting to read.
I tried a few of the recipes and liked them. I must admit I am not a great Italian food lover and this just wasn't for me.
Andrew R
My test of a cookbook is to flip through it once and count the number of recipes I can't wait to try. This book doesn't have many, but there are a good fundamentals.

The duck sausage truly needs to be ground in a meat grinder. Using a knife will give you carpal tunnel and it will never get minced properly. Nonetheless, if you cook your pasta in the same pan it's delicious.
I keep reaching for this book when I get home - and find myself wanting to cook more and more recipes from it. The weird thing about recipes is that you end up making something delicious to eat(which isn't always a given with me.) the great thing about this book is that it's smart, doesn't presume you've never seen a pan before, and is ecologically minded.
I would have loved to give this book 5 stars and the recipes I have made are some of my favorites, but I would have liked more detailed instructions and it would have been nice to have captions for the photographs. I also had to look up all sorts of information in other references that would have been a great addition to this book.
This is probably my favorite and most used cookbook. I am not part of the cult of Mario (I feel pretty neutral about him), but I have to say his food rocks! Lots of recipes for fresh homemade pasta (a passion of mine) and yummy antipasti, plus lots of entrees. Believe it or not, there are even a few quality desserts!
Joffre Swait
Now this is what I'm talking about. This book inspired me to make a childhood favorite for the first time in years: gnocchi. A bunch of great recipes and some good photography make this inspirational bed-time reading. Yes, reading cookbooks before bed makes you fat.
How Mario got to be so damn smart and funny, I'll never know. But the man sure does know his Italian history, heritage, and food. I love cooking from this book, admiring the delicious photographs, and learning fascinating tid-bits about Italian cooking.
Jun 29, 2008 Bax rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: cooking
I'm not a fan of the whole TV driven "star chef" phenomenon, but this book has a lot of clearly explained recipes that look like something I'd want to make.

It gets a provisional 5 star rating- I can pass final judgment once I make a couple of things.
Erik and I really enjoying the recipes from this. We've made the sweet and sour wild boar, a rabbit dish and an asparagus dish. They are relatively straightforward and give us some good ideas for unusual cuts of meat as well as some more traditional dishes.
Catherine Woodman
This has one of my favorite shrimp dishes, my absolute favorite 30 minute chicken recipe, and my favorite tomato sauce--it is accessible, and if you ignore all the olive oil he adds, not unhealthful too. Delicious, and amongst my favorite cookbooks
Bailey Jane
Dec 03, 2008 Bailey Jane rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Italian food lovers, omnivores
Recommended to Bailey Jane by: an ex-boyfriend who digs Italian food belive it or not
Love the recipes, love Mario Batali, would LOVE to go to his restaurant in NYC, loved him in Iron Chef, you name it. These receipes are great and I owe it to Christy for refreshing my memory of this great collection of Italian recipes!
I have used some of the recipes and tweeked them to my liking, but overall way too pretentious for the everyday cook. Though I love a nice Italian meal, I'd rather go out and get one rather than spend all day rolling out my own gnocchi!
How I love reading cookbooks that are more than a mere recitation of recipes. This book is a feast for the eyes and gave me all sorts of inspiration to take into the kitchen. It might even knock Nigella off my cookbook stand for a bit!
Despite Mario's recent becoming a sell out and the gouging of anything slightly herbed Italian, then promptly branding it 'his' with vomitous heaves of commercialism, the dude can cook.
One of the best cook books ever.
John Sundeen
Good stuff here. Look forward to making the Devil's chicken sometime soon. Used this as inspiration at pesto making time, and also swiped the tomato sauce recipe for a batch that is in the freezer for a cold winters day.
I'm not sure why I avoided reading this book for so long. It's very clear, concise, and does an excellent job of showing you the sheer variety of cooking styles and ingredients in Italy without being too highbrow. Molto bene!
Straightforward, delicious, easy to follow -- a win on all fronts. With gorgeous photos. LOVE this cookbook. Current faves: marinated vegetables, crostini misti, risotto with acorn squash, prosciutto with grilled figs. All great!
  • Lidia's Italian-American Kitchen
  • Bobby Flay's Mesa Grill Cookbook: Explosive Flavors from the Southwestern Kitchen
  • Anthony Bourdain's Les Halles Cookbook: Strategies, Recipes, and Techniques of Classic Bistro Cooking
  • The Classic Italian Cook Book: The Art of Italian Cooking and the Italian Art of Eating
  • Sunday Suppers at Lucques: Seasonal Recipes from Market to Table
  • Mexican Everyday
  • Giada's Kitchen: New Favorites from Everyday Italian
  • Chez Panisse Cafe Cookbook
  • The Zuni Cafe Cookbook: A Compendium of Recipes and Cooking Lessons from San Francisco's Beloved Restaurant
  • Julia and Jacques Cooking at Home
  • Jacques Pépin's Complete Techniques: Featuring More Than 1,000 Cooking Methods and Recipes,  in Thousands of  Step-by-Step Photographs
  • Sauces: Classical and Contemporary Sauce Making
  • Tyler's Ultimate: Brilliant Simple Food to Make Any Time
  • The French Laundry Cookbook
  • The Bon Appetit Cookbook: Fast Easy Fresh
  • Arabesque: A Taste of Morocco, Turkey, and Lebanon
  • All About Braising: The Art of Uncomplicated Cooking
  • Food Network Favorites
Mario Batali is known to most people as both the star of the Food Network's Molto Mario and one of the Iron Chefs on Iron Chef America. Winner of numerous awards for his restaurants, Mario himself is the recipient of the 2005 James Beard All-Clad Outstanding Chef Award, the most prestigious cooking honor there is. Mario is also a huge NASCAR fan. Like many guys his age, Mario first discovered the ...more
More about Mario Batali...