Start by marking “The Sandcastle Contest” as Want to Read:
The Sandcastle Contest

The Sandcastle Contest

3.82  ·  Rating Details  ·  369 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
Bestselling team Robert Munsch and Michael Martchenko create another wacky adventure about a boy named Matthew who makes a sandcastle so real, that every

While on vacation. Matthew is excited to take part in the local sandcastle contest. The winner gets a bathtub filled with ice cream!

But Matthew is just too good at building sand castles. The judges all think the house he b
Published July 1st 2005 by Cartwheel Books (first published April 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Sandcastle Contest, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sandcastle Contest

Richelle
Dec 07, 2015 Richelle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love love love loved this one.. what little kid doesn't dream about making the most extravagant sand castle.. or in this case a sand house! I loved the fact about the kids wanting dogs so badly that they made them
out of sand! every child deserves to have a dog! I loved all the amazing creations that he made out of sand: sand bed, sand tv, sand couch, sand refrigerator stocked full
of sand food! no one believed that the kid could build such a life like sand house.. then he does some thing to pro
Pat (Get Kids to Read) Tierney
You can't go wrong with Robert Munsch. Munsch is the author of many classics like Love You Forever and Something Good. His books are clever, funny and well written.
The Sand Castle Contest is about a family that is going to the beach. When they get there Matthew enters a Sand Castle contest to win a tub filled with ice cream.
What follows is the typical Munsch comedy. Children and adults will enjoy The Sand Castle Contest.

Christie Tulloch
Apr 01, 2016 Christie Tulloch rated it it was amazing
The Sandcastle Contest is my absolute favourite children's book written by Robert Munsch. A young girl wishes to enter a sandcastle contest on the beach while her family is on summer vacation. The girl is very determined to build a huge sandcastle. She wins easily with her sand bed, TV, dog, and more. The judges couldn't believe their eyes! Sandcastle Contest was a very fun book to read. I loved it!
Joe Padon
Aug 01, 2014 Joe Padon rated it liked it
Munsch, R. (2005). The Sand Castle Contest. Toronto, ON: Scholastic.

Matthew’s family is taking a vacation to the beach. As they are about to leave, Matthew suggests they get a dog for the trip. His father denied his request and they set off on their journey. As they reached the beach, Matthew noticed a sand castle and a sand dog. When he found out it was for a sand castle contest for a bathtub full of ice cream, Matthew set out to build the best sand castle on the beach. The problem was that his
Miss Sarah
May 02, 2015 Miss Sarah rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
a family goes to the beach where the boy builds a sand castle so good it looks like a real house. Dogs made out of sand that come to life also feature. To strange for storytime and a little too long but a kid who likes silly stories will like this.
Karina Gillies
Jul 03, 2015 Karina Gillies rated it it was amazing
I read this book to my daughter and I think I loved it more than she did. In Munsch's newest tale, he proves once again that he has the persistent ability to provoke emotions and spark imagination in just a few short pages. Perhaps it has something to do with my own childhood of growing up reading his books, or perhaps Munsch has found a way to steal some of the magic that childhood entails and preserve it within his stories. Either way, Munsch's witty story lines paired with Michael Martchenko' ...more
Melissa Namba
Apr 21, 2016 Melissa Namba rated it it was amazing
Shelves: coplin, dnamba
Like his other books, this one is strange. He builds a sand house that the judges believe is real. I put my dog down this week. She was old. I wish I could make a sand dog of her and get her back...
Slayermel
Feb 19, 2010 Slayermel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Parents of young chidren and Preschool Teachers
This is the story of Matthew who goes on a trip with his family and enters a sand castle building contest on the Beach. Matthew Builds an amazingly realistic Sandcastle house and has a very hard time convincing the judges of the contest that the house is made of sand, and is not actually a real house. Why do grownups not listen? :0)
Now if only Matthew could build a sand dog to take home
This is a very cute story; I love how frustrated Matthew gets with the judges. He reminded me so much of a coup
Aleece
Aug 12, 2013 Aleece rated it liked it
Matthew enters a sand castle building competition and builds a sand "house" however when the judges come by they believe it is a real house and in order to prove that it is made out of sand he has to destroy it. Kalita also made a dog out of sand that acted like a real dog. While this book takes place in a realistic setting there is no sense that there should be magic there so it made it a little unbelievable and just an ok book.
Bree
Notes:
kids couldn't decide if it was magic sand or not
enjoyed reading this one several times
Dolly
Feb 01, 2009 Dolly rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Cute story about a boy who wants to bring everything on a camping trip, especially a dog that he doesn't yet own. He enters a sand castle contest and builds a realistic house and wins a prize, but knows that his friend, who made a dog out of sand, is a genius. Odd, but a cute story for children. And the illustrations are fun, too.
Jillian
Jun 15, 2011 Jillian rated it did not like it
Shelves: children-books
Really, really odd. The story just goes on and on with no point. Weird and the pictures are bright but almost as odd as the stories. Not our favorite but we're still thankful to our kiddo's preschool teacher for giving it to him as a out-for-the-summer book. :)
Shaley Dunn
This book is very cute. The boy starts to build sand castles for a contest. The judges end up thinking that the sand castle he built was a real house. I love it because this boy set his mind to something and didnt give up.
Cindi
Jan 12, 2009 Cindi rated it did not like it
Shelves: picture-books
This was a silly, disjointed story that didn't have much purpose at all. Don't bother! I'm not even going to read it to my kids. My oldest son read it and said it was strange too.
Ashley
Apr 20, 2013 Ashley rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
A good story of friendship, of creative thinking, of imagination, and of sharing. Great for young readers who love Munsch, and whose parents like to choose books with lots of great morals!
Child960801
Jun 17, 2013 Child960801 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A story about a boy who builds a sand house for the sand contest that is so realistic the judges won't believe it isn't real.
Lala Estrella
Nov 21, 2013 Lala Estrella rated it really liked it
Read this book at work one day. The story of Matthew and his sandhouse was very cute! I also love the illustrations.
Kate
Mar 01, 2013 Kate rated it liked it
Shelves: storytime
Ok, kind of fun leading in to summer. A bit odd but in a way that may work for the more whimsical children.
Veronica
Jun 23, 2011 Veronica rated it it was ok
Shelves: childrens-books
My niece really liked this book (she's 6) but this book was just weird with no real point.
Devin
Jul 12, 2011 Devin rated it it was ok
A short book that was a gift from my teacher. Pretty funny.
Liz
Nov 16, 2008 Liz rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-book
I think I would've really enjoyed this one as a child.
Tanya
May 05, 2013 Tanya rated it really liked it
Imagination gone wild.
Horace Mann Family Reading Challenge
It's so fun to read. T.R.
Mark Nenadov
Jul 05, 2013 PWRL marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2013-new
SM
Jolabrese
Jolabrese marked it as to-read
May 24, 2016
Phoebe
Phoebe added it
May 20, 2016
Kelly
Kelly added it
May 12, 2016
Anouska Stacey
Anouska Stacey marked it as to-read
May 12, 2016
  • The Magic School Bus Gets All Dried Up: A Book About Deserts (Magic School Bus)
  • You Think It's Easy Being the Tooth Fairy?
  • Curious George and the Pizza
  • The Three Billy Goats Gruff
  • Reading Makes You Feel Good
  • The Balloon Tree

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Robert Munsch was born in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. He graduated from Fordham University in 1969 with a Bachelor of Arts degree in history and from Boston University in 1971 with a Master of Arts degree in anthropology.

He studied to become a Jesuit priest, but decided he would rather work with children after jobs at orphanages and daycare centers. In 1973, he received a Master of Education in Chil
More about Robert Munsch...