Start by marking “Rommel As Military Commander” as Want to Read:
Rommel As Military Commander

Rommel As Military Commander

As the Nazis wreaked havoc on Europe in the early 1940s, the war in Northern Africa seemed relatively insignificant. Yet a series of surprising victories by the Afrika Korps forced Winston Churchill to refocus his attention. Out of the desert, one of the war's most brilliant commanders was blooming--Commander Erwin Johannes Eugen Rommel.

In this provocative study, Ronald Le

Published December 12th 1970 by Ballantine Books (first published 1968)

To ask other readers questions about Rommel As Military Commander, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rommel As Military Commander

Michael
Nov 25, 2012 Michael rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Military buffs, Military Historians, combat officers
Recommended to Michael by: Serendipity
This book accomplishes what its author sets out to do excellently. Unfortunately, what its author wanted to achieve isn't of much interest to me. I'd really like, someday, to find a book on Rommel that does for him what Albert Speer: His Battle with Truth does for Albert Speer: Explores the complexity and contradictions of his character that allowed an apparently honorable man to be seduced into serving a criminal regime. So far, I haven't found it, and I think that may be because the myth of th ...more
Brad
Apr 04, 2016 Brad rated it really liked it
Extremely dense and detailed prose about the Afrika Korps. I was particularly interested in the catchphrases from many different languages the author used to make certain points throughout. Had to brush up on German, Latin, and French in order to fully understand certain passages. I liked this, as it stretched my brain more than a normal WW II book would.
If you're looking for a story about the Erwin Rommel "The Man," this isn't necessarily it, although there are a few details about his origins
Martin Moleski
Fascinating subject. Too much information on which division or brigade went where for my taste. I suppose others who, like the author, fought in the desert, or who had family or friends who did, would appreciate the fine details. Although the book provides an excellent understanding of Rommel's gifts and virtues, it scarcely explores what he thought was worth fighting for in either of the two world wars. I am of course biased as a citizen who loves the United States, but I don't understand what ...more
Ryan C La Fleur
Jun 14, 2015 Ryan C La Fleur rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those interested in leadership , tactics and military history.
It took me forever to read this book. Granted part of that was due to Fire and deployment and relocation to another continent. Part of it though was due to the nature of the book itself. Lewin's detailed account of the military career of Rommel proceeds with an academic touch. Having seen other accounts of military history presented as documentaries, I look forward to comparing this with the book version of Ben Macintyre's Operation Mincemeat or Double Cross.
Charles
Nov 17, 2008 Charles rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfic-history
I was especially fascinated with the military prowess of the Germans in WWII and Rommel was certainly one of their great commanders. I thought it was a really good book.
carl  theaker
May 31, 2010 carl theaker rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ww2

An oldie but goodie look at the Desert Fox. Has a photo section, about 20 maps and
an appendix listing Wehrpass military record.

Lewin also wrote a bio on Monty.

Peter
Dec 29, 2015 Peter rated it liked it
Extremely detailed and very dry. Reads like a textbook.

Lots of good information, but the writing style makes it more of a chore to read than a pleasure.
Mike
Mike rated it it was ok
Apr 24, 2007
Serbulent Sengun
Serbulent Sengun rated it liked it
Oct 11, 2011
James Dalziel
James Dalziel rated it liked it
Mar 22, 2014
Jason Glova
Jason Glova rated it liked it
Aug 28, 2010
Josh Graham
Josh Graham rated it it was ok
Feb 04, 2008
Irshad Ghani
Irshad Ghani rated it it was amazing
Mar 08, 2015
Eric
Eric rated it did not like it
Nov 28, 2008
Paul W
Paul W rated it really liked it
Mar 21, 2016
Ken Goach
Ken Goach rated it really liked it
Mar 26, 2013
Jonathan
Jonathan rated it it was amazing
Dec 05, 2008
Matthew
Matthew rated it really liked it
Jan 12, 2016
Ian Bright
Ian Bright rated it liked it
Feb 07, 2013
Larry
Larry rated it liked it
Mar 10, 2008
Derek
Derek rated it liked it
Apr 17, 2008
Christopher
Christopher rated it really liked it
Jun 26, 2008
Tim
Tim rated it really liked it
Jun 27, 2009
Doubledf99.99
Doubledf99.99 rated it liked it
Sep 09, 2016
dev
dev rated it really liked it
Jun 02, 2016
Cassandra
Cassandra rated it liked it
Dec 10, 2010
Joseph
Joseph rated it it was ok
Sep 06, 2016
Bob
Bob rated it liked it
Jul 05, 2013
Amber Best
Amber Best rated it it was amazing
Feb 02, 2014
Chuck Bradley
Oct 19, 2012 Chuck Bradley rated it really liked it
I was surprised he was never a member of the Nazi party. Was Apolitical.
Ronald Lewin was a British military historian, radio producer and publishing editor who has wrote several books on World War II and several of the WWII commanders like Lieut-General Vyvyan Pope, Montgomery and Rommel.
More about Ronald Lewin...