Start by marking “Dinosaur Summer” as Want to Read:
Dinosaur Summer

Dinosaur Summer

3.32  ·  Rating Details  ·  488 Ratings  ·  41 Reviews
Peter Belzoni is dreading summer in Manhattan. Then his father, photojournalist Anthony Belzoni, offers the youth a job, a byline in National Geographic...and a trip to South America. For the Lothar Gluck Circus, once the world's foremost dinosaur attraction, has gone bankrupt. Left behind is a menagerie of avisaurs, centrosaurs, and ankylosaurs, as well as one large preda ...more
Published February 1st 1999 by Warner Books (NY) (first published January 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Dinosaur Summer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dinosaur Summer

Carolyn
Jul 13, 2010 Carolyn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: YA readers, dinosaur aficionados
A solid adventure yarn, set in 1940, using the events of The Lost World as a jumping off point to create an alternate history in which live dinosaurs are a matter of fact. The main character is a 15 yo boy who accompanies his father in the group of men returning the captive dinos in the last dino circus to the wild.
I especially loved the descriptions of the colors and patterns of the dinosaurs - very vivid!
Badseedgirl
Mar 06, 2015 Badseedgirl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-read-in
Dinosaur Summer by Greg Bear reads like a "boy's adventure story". Think Treasure Island, Tom Sawyer, and Huck Fin. There was action and adventure on almost every page. Plus Dinosaurs. Who does not get a thrill when they think of dinosaurs, and who does not secretly wish they could see one up close and in person, a herbivore one anyway. This novel is set in an alternate world where Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's The Lost World was real. The novel was excellent and motivated me to head over to The Gute ...more
Lisa Wolf
A big, old-fashioned adventure story, Dinosaur Summer starts from the premise that the events of The Lost World (the 1912 novel by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, not the Michael Crichton novel) are real. In Dinosaur Summer, Conan Doyle and his fellow adventurers discovered a hidden world in South America -- and now, 30 years later, dinosaur circuses are so commonplace that the public is no longer interested. When the last dinosaur circus closes down, 15-year-old Peter and his journalist father accompan ...more
Notme
Jan 06, 2013 Notme rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Unfortunately the first half of this book was extremely slow-going & I had an off-on relationship with it that precluded any real involvement. Remembering all the characters after taking numerous breaks from this book was also a challenge, especially since they were mostly really sketchy, undeveloped and unbelievable (even thought some of them are based on real historical characters). Overall it was somehow too adult for kids, but too childish for adults. The second half developed some actio ...more
Jan Strnad
Aug 26, 2010 Jan Strnad rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: young adults
As a major dinosaur/King Kong/Harryhausen fan, I really, really wanted to love this book. It's about a boy's summer with his father, Ray Harryhausen, Willis O'Brien, and the makers of King Kong, as they close down a dinosaur circus and return to The Lost World of Arthur Conan Doyle to free the dinosaurs to the wild.

Unfortunately, despite the fact that it should have pushed all of my buttons, the writing is just too flat to engage me. The style is a rather lackluster, declarative one that I assoc
tENTATIVELY, cONVENIENCE
Feb 18, 2015 tENTATIVELY, cONVENIENCE rated it liked it
Shelves: sf
review of
Greg Bear's Dinosaur Summer
by tENTATIVELY, a cONVENIENCE - February 18, 2015

Once again, I can accuse myself of being in my '2nd childhood' b/c this is a bk targeted at younger readers or for "kids of all ages". It was only over a mnth ago that I read Robert Heinlein's Space Cadet (see my review here: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3... ). The problem is, I really enjoy reading these things, I read this one quickly & even though the trajectory of the plot was somewhat predict
Catsalive

cover:
A vast range of giant reptiles thought to be extinct since the Mesozoic have in fact survived in isolation for seventy million years on the hidden plateau of El Grande, Venezuela. Professor Challenger found their lost world - 'the rotting tropical regions of Hell...'

Creatures of legend were brought north as circus exhibits - caged, and of only passing interest. Fifty years and two world wars later, Lothar Gluck's Dinosaur Circus is the last of its ki
Tomislav
Sep 06, 2015 Tomislav rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
I enjoyed this 1998 tribute sequel to Arthur Conan Doyle's The Lost World. In this alternate world, the events of The Lost World are taken as true, and by 1949, the public has grown tired of the display of dinosaurs, and the circus acts that display them are going out of business. Young Peter Belzoni joins his down-and-out photographer Dad on a movie expedition to return the last of the circus dinosaurs to their native El Grande tepui in South America. As a young man growing up, Peter is both li ...more
AmbushPredator
Sep 08, 2015 AmbushPredator rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Re-reading this book on Kindle (I bought it in hardback when it first came out, from London's Forbidden Planet) has reminded me just how good it was, and how it's begging to be filmed with today's CGI able to do full justice to Bear's imagined dino species.

A 'alternate reality' story, this novel assumes that Professor Challenger's trip to the Lost World was no work of fiction, but reality!

Mankind has since grown bored with dinosaurs, having utilised them as they have all other species, and we f
Nick Cincotta
Jun 17, 2015 Nick Cincotta rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
It has an interesting premise, what is Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's Professor challenger's Lost world has been a reality. Dinosaurs exported to circuses, then returned home. This book was increasingly difficult to get into. While it was an easy read, the characters do not grow on you and at times the story was difficult to follow. It felt like it took forever to read a minimal amount of the book. The best part of the book is where Bear described what was real and fictional. Again interesting premis ...more
A~
Mar 10, 2014 A~ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good yarn.
As it is written to follow Lost World the writing seems a bit archaic and older than what one would expect in new books, and it is perfect for this book.
The blood/gore was low as would be expected for a book imitating the time.
Some what predictable, again something based of the era it is aping.
Lianne Burwell
Feb 24, 2016 Lianne Burwell rated it liked it
Shelves: alt-history, sf, dinosaurs
Peter and his photographer father are chosen to accompany the last dinosaur circus as it returns the dinosaurs to the Lost World (Doyle's book was history, not fiction) in 1947.

The first half was a little slow, until they reach the drawbridge that divides the Lost World plateau from the rest of South America. At that point, between an angry carnivorous dinosaur and uncooperative local military, everything goes wrong, and things get excited.

I bought this book when it was first released in paperba
Stephanie
Feb 28, 2016 Stephanie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Seriously boring snoozed fest! If I could give negative stars I would. It kind of picked up towards the end and then it was the end and I was quite relieved! Definitely not my cup of tea.
Ken Boorman
Jan 19, 2016 Ken Boorman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well thought out and well written. Probably aimed at children, but I found this a great read! At least the author breathed life into the dinosaurs he wrote about - well researched and the dinos he invented acted feasibly. Whole-heartedly recommend this book!
Josh
Jan 28, 2010 Josh rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I like Greg Bear's books for their big science fiction ideas.... interstellar ecology and justice (The Forge of God/Anvil of Stars), an infinite universe created by humans living in an asteroid starship (Eon/Eternity/Legacy), genomic computers determining the course of evolution (Darwin's Radio), the world being absorbed into a unified mass of self-aware protoplasm (Blood Music), intelligent cities made of living parts (Strength of Stones), technologies that can move a planet across the galaxy ( ...more
Emily Davies
This started out slow, but got better as it went along. Some parts were downright bizarre. However, I always sympathized with Peter. Worth a read.
Bradley
This story was okay. Fairly solid read. =)
Sanasai
Lovely illustrations in this fun dino tale.
Anne
May 16, 2013 Anne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This felt a little strange.. I've had this book for a few years.. finally decided to pick it up and start reading.. the next day I hear Ray HarryHausen died.. Having that in the back of my head while reading might have made the book less effective.. or more, I guess.

I actually enjoyed the storyline, the characters were well drawn out for the most part.. (though, I never really got a good read on Anthony..) He does get a little adjective happy, and draws things out that seem like they were unimp
Orange
Mar 30, 2016 Orange rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun classic adventure story!
Alvin
Jun 20, 2008 Alvin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Dinosaur lovers
I picked this book up on a whim. I liked the title and the summary on the jacket. I had never read a book by Greg Bear before, but I will start reading them now.

It is a very nice story about a turn of the century traveling carnival, but their main attraction is dinosaurs. It tells of a man and his son returning the dinosaurs to the plateau where they were captured years ago. Along the way there are mishaps and not everything goes as planned when they decide to release them.
Edy Ramirez peña
I liked the way the author takes you to the plateaus in Venezuela. How he revives the dinossaurs. all the adventure and everything was wonderful.
I felt as if i were there feeling when it drizzled, feeling when they starved, at the beginning I thought it was horible and that I was compelled to read it because it was free from a library..but I wound up loving it. five stars.
Luna Lindsey
Sep 03, 2010 Luna Lindsey rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, steampunk
How many carnivorous dinosaurs can there be without a few herbivores to eat now and then? Are humans seriously the only food around?

Totally unbelievable ecological balance designed to make for endless action scenes where the protagonist has to run from yet another man-eating dino.

Read Jurassic Park for Dinos, and stick to Greg Bear's cyberpunk novels, which are much more enjoyable.
Stonebender
Jul 09, 2012 Stonebender rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had much more fun reading this book than I expected. The basic plot is dinosaurs exist in a remote area of South America and once discovered, some were captured and displayed in circuses. Now the last dinosaur circus is going out of business and they're going to take the dinosaurs back to their homeland. Ray Harryhausen is a character which was fun for me. This is an entertaining light read.
Craig
Mar 28, 2013 Craig rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Set in 1947, this is written as a sequel to Doyle's THE LOST WORLD, and included among the characters are several real-life people famous for bringing dinosaurs to the public eye such as Harryhausen and Cooper. It's a very nicely illustrated book, and written in the style of the day in which it's set. It would probably be labeled as Y.A. if published today; it's a light but fun read.
Todd
Jun 27, 2012 Todd rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think this book gets a bad rap from reviewers here. I read it directly after "The Lost World" and I think that Greg Bear did a spectacular job making it feel like a true sequel, both storywise and stylistically. Wish Professor Challenger could have made at least a cameo, but the use of Ray Harryhausen as a character almost made up for it.
Raul
Jul 24, 2015 Raul rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A perfect summer page turner. I was completely immersed in the world the story weaved and was happy to bring the memories back into the one we all weave together.
Sandy
Dec 05, 2011 Sandy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
Shelves: fantasy
I have ordered up EON from the library as I have to find out how an author of this caliber won the Hugo and Nebula Awards. If you removed half of the adjectives and three quarters of the similes you would cut 75 - 100 pages from the 375 page book. His use of passive tense made the what-were-supposed-to-be exciting parts ho-hum.
Gareth
Feb 09, 2014 Gareth rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf
Entertaining homage to Ray Harryhausen's films, even featuring Ray and Willis O'Brien as characters. The troubled father son dynamic of difficult Anthony and his bookish son Peter is the key thread of the story and well handled. Good action sequences and imaginative new breeds of dinosaur too.
Angel
Mar 08, 2008 Angel rated it it was ok
Shelves: science_fiction
I read this over the summer of 1998. It draws upon one of Conan Doyle's Professor Challenger stories. The story here was ok, but I think readers are better off going back to the original novel instead of this one. The book's premise is interesting, but it is just an "ok" book.
  • Far-Seer (Quintaglio Ascension, #1)
  • Cretaceous Dawn
  • The Rebel Worlds (Flandry, #3)
  • Footprints of Thunder
  • Orbital Resonance (Century Next Door, #1)
  • Newton's Cannon (Age of Unreason, #1)
  • On Her Majesty's Occult Service (Laundry Files, #1-2)
  • West of Eden (West of Eden, #1)
  • The Man of Bronze / The Land of Terror
  • Dinotopia Lost
  • Day of the Minotaur
  • Here, There, and Everywhere
  • The Tree People
Greg Bear is one of the world's leading hard SF authors. He sold his first short story, at the age of fifteen, to Robert Lowndes's Famous Science Fiction.

A full-time writer, he lives in Washington State with his family. He is married to Astrid Anderson Bear. He is the son-in-law of Poul Anderson. They are the parents of two children, Erik and Alexandra.

More about Greg Bear...