Path of Honor (Path, #2)

Path of Honor (Path #2)

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  731 ratings  ·  21 reviews
Two years after Reisil's arrival, Kodu Riik is decimated by plague and famine. And now a race of sorcerers is trying to take over. Reisil's power is feared by the nobility, others wish to exploit her, and her fellow ahalad-kaaslane begin to doubt her loyalty, as her healing magic fails to stem the rising plague. But Reisil will discover that although she has lost her power...more
Published December 7th 2004 by Roc (first published 2004)

Lise
One of the really interesting people in "Path of Honor" is Verit Aare. Verit Aare is the heir to the throne and eager to replace his father. As his father has been more or less absent the past six months, Aare’s lust for power is growing. Unfortunately for Koduteel (capital) and all of Kodu Riik Verit Aare is a psychopath/sociopath. While a lot of us have psychopathic traits, very few of us reach Aare’s level of sociopathy. According to Psychology Today one needs to show a lack of empathy (cold-...more
Chrissy Wissler
The story continues for heroine, Reisil, except this time she's facing a lot of self-doubts and everyone but her close friends stand against her. This book was a great follow up to the first one in the trilogy, Path of Fate. Where the first book was much more focused on a single goal, this one expands the story to greater heights.

The Blessed Lady is missing, the king is hiding from grief and his son is about to become Regent. Then there's the plague and a few assassin wizards thrown in. Althoug...more
Rhianon
At the halfway point of this book, I'm discovering that it's rather removed from the first one. Same lead, expanded supporting cast. Secondary character POV's are more varied.
Some of those secondary POV's lead the reader into a graphically violent realm of torture that is almost more disturbing than it is dark, in some points. This is not a read for the faint of heart. The journey the characters are taking does not fail to intrigue, but following them is not easy.
This is one of those stories, th...more
Hanako
Path of Fate was a fairly strong debut novel for Diana Pharaoh Francis and I was excited about reading the second novel in her series. Unfortunately, Path of Honor was not nearly as enjoyable, as a transition novel it lacked a focused plot line and had other serious flaws.

Often the second novel of a trilogy serves a "transitioning" purpose. Path of Honor was supposed to lead up to the third novel, but in doing so it lacked a directed plot line for the first 300 pages. It was hard to figure out w...more
Michelle
The second book in the Path series continues the colourful world that Diana Pharaoh Francis created in Path of Fate. The emotional bonds between ahalad-kaaslane, treatchery, deceit, unconditional love and friendships of book one are also present in Path of Honor.

The story finds Reisiltark in Koduteel one year after the end of book one. Ostracised by her fellow ahalad-kaaslane, shuned by the nobels, and deserted by the Blessed Lady, Amiya. A plague is sweaping Kodu Riik and dangerous monsters hav...more
Bagtree
It takes a while to adjust to the drastic veering-away it does from the first book. Yes, the events that happen here are results of the events of the first book, but they seem completely out there at first; the magic we meet here has a completely different flavor than what I expected to see after the first book. There are also more serious pacing problems.

But the world does get fleshed out quite a bit more in this installment, once you can get over the direction in which it's being fleshed out....more
Shari  Mulluane
Content is dark, tragic and grisly at times. There are some disturbing torture scenes, plague and famine are never pretty, and some of the "bad" guys in this tale are truly evil and depraved. The pace is fast though, alot happens and the story clips right along. There is also a cliffhanger ending, unlike book one, so it is a good thing that you can go straight on to book three! This book is not the type that will "wow" you but it is a good read and a great adventure. If you enjoy reluctant heroi...more
Karyogini
I liked the 1st book better... But this book is equally interesting... There were parts that I didn't care for... boring for me... But it didn't matter, the book as a whole is captivating. I couldn't put it down... This is bad... I've only slept for 4 hrs... My FB games are suffering, my work is suffering... but I can't stop. I love how Francis writes her books. :)

OH! this book is a cliffhanger... GRRR. But since I have the 3rd book, on to the next. I didn't bother reading the trailer they put i...more
Holly
Based on the first book, not quite what I was expecting. The story did progress, and the characters did grow and learn; the plot has become more twisted, so to speak. But there were scenes in this book that I had to skip over that were not a problem in the first book--short ones, but in my opinion were unneccessary, blatant sex scenes that did not move the story forward or even give good reason for "character interaction". I really wanted to love this book. I will still read the third, but my ex...more
Molly
I really enjoyed the book, but I didn't like that it ended quite abruptly, so unless you have the third book in the series (Path of Blood) already queued up, I'd hold off. It's really more of a Part I of the continuation of Path of Fate (which was great as a stand-alone). This does set up the third book very well though, and the characters are just as fabulous as the first book.
Megan Sewell
it took me a bit to get back into the story, it has been awhile since I read the first one, once I was back in, great. I really like the fact that I had the third book already because this book had a MAJOR cliffhanger. Recommend the series, if you like Maria V. Snyder's Poison Study, you will really like this.
Roxanne
Dec 17, 2008 Roxanne rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Roxanne by: Mike Carcel
I liked this one even better than the first one. Francis gets into the heads of several different characters, not just Reisil, and it expands the story a lot--necessary now that she's playing with court intrigue and not just zapping the bad guys. Can't wait to start the third one!
Really enjoying this series. There were a few graphic torture scenes in this one that put me off, but they went with the story, and were really only so powerful because Francis' writing is so absorbing. Finished it and picked up the third one right away.
Liz
I like the characters in this book -- female heroine. Got me thinking about the fact that I read these books for amusement -- to appreciate the role of the hero -- and that there are real life evils to confront as well.
Alicia
A good book although I felt the author skipped over details. Didn't realize it was a the second in the series so I am excited to go back and read the first one. Overall a good fantasy book.
Bethany C
Had a hard time putting this down. I only hope I can find another series of a similar genre that compares, knowing I only have one more book (of this one) left.
Craig
Pretty good read, standard second book of a trilogy. A lot of stuff falling into place, but nothing resolved. That's what the third book is for.
Ria
I got to chapter 3 and stopped. The characters were inconsistent with book 1. The writing wasn't great.
Craig
Sequel to Path of Fate which fleshes out the characters and sets the scene for the conclusion.
Lynne
Really enjoyed it--need to hunt down book 3 because it's ended on a cliffhanger!
Stephannie
I liked it. I thought it was better than the first one.
Barb
Second book in a series I picked up at the Used Bookstore in town. Really glad I picked up the whole series I'm loving it so far.
Argus
Argus is currently reading it
Apr 11, 2014
  • The Mountain's Call (White Magic, #1)
  • The Fathomless Caves (The Witches of Eileanan, #6)
  • The Last Dragonlord (Dragonlord, #1)
  • The Hidden Stars (Rune of Unmaking #1)
  • The Sword (The Sword, the Ring, and the Chalice, #1)
  • Airs Beneath the Moon (Horsemistress Saga, #1)
  • First Rider's Call (Green Rider, #2)
  • Beldan's Fire (The Oran Trilogy #3)
  • Clan Daughter (Queen of the Orcs, #2)
  • On Fire's Wings (Final Dance, #1)
  • Fire Logic (Elemental Logic, #1)
  • Lost Truth (Truth, #4)
  • Diplomacy of Wolves (The Secret Texts, #1)
  • The Dawn Star (Lost Continent, #3)
  • Wolf's Head, Wolf's Heart (Firekeeper Saga, #2)
  • Protector of the Flight (The Summoning, #3)
I was raised on a cattle ranch in Northern California (outside a town called Lincoln which is now part of an enormous sprawl). I taught myself to ride a horse at the age of six, as no one had the time to teach me—they were all busy learning how to irrigate, how to cajole an angry bull into another field, how to pull a calf… Afraid of heights, and absolutely sure I was going to die, I managed to sc...more
More about Diana Pharaoh Francis...
Bitter Night (Horngate Witches, #1) Path of Fate (Path, #1) Crimson Wind (Horngate Witches, #2) Shadow City (Horngate Witches, #3) Blood Winter (Horngate Witches, #4)